The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #301
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I don't see what's so hard about buying into "love at first sight"; it's a proven fact of sexual/romantic chemistry, and it happens all the time in romance movies/novels. Some of the greatest romances of all time, both real and fictional, happened with less interaction than Thor and Jane had in the first movie.
That it is self-evident to some and yet others have trouble buying into it apparently is not a recent disconnect, as this quote from about 140 years ago shows:

“The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.”
-- Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #302
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
That it is self-evident to some and yet others have trouble buying into it apparently is not a recent disconnect, as this quote from about 140 years ago shows:

“The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.”
-- Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
Wise words from Mr. Hugo.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #303
American Maid
Side-Kick

Well, it seems fitting to make sure recent Jane news is captured here, too.

First, an alternate ending has been released on-line. Apparently it will be part of the big Phase 1 boxed set. h/t herolee10, surfer, and elizah72 for the mention and the link.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/2...one-phase-two/

Second, Chris Hemsworth said some words to MTV, and a shorter story was reported elsewhere on the Hype. He comments on the Thor-Jane relationship.
Hype story: http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...-robopocalypse
MTV source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/169...ksgiving.jhtml

I recommend looking at the MTV article, since it has a little bit more of what Hemsworth says about Thor and Jane.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #304
American Maid
Side-Kick

The following I originally posted to the "Plots based on Spoilers" thread. As you'll see, I elected to post the remainder of my thoughts here.

<begin>
Quote:
So, for a plot tie in: In the alternate Thor1 ending, Jane says, "if he can't get here on his own... maybe we can help him find his way back." The events of The Avengers suggest to Jane that, well, maybe finding his way back is not a top priority. So, perhaps instead she decides to point her portal at another realm instead (and . . . perhaps chooses poorly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
that very well could be something. This is the god of thunder, so jane, excuse you if Thor has other things to handle, like you know, saving your world, and then taking the villain back to asgard, he simply did not have time to get back to her.

Reading that, that she will be angry with him for not visiting made me cringe, and will make me hate her even more. Honestly, he just saved your planet, and needed to take the prisonor back home to answer for his crimes.

jane, he didn't have time to. Even if he did, so what if you weren't a priority? This isn't a guy you met, and who you are expecting to show up like an ordiniary guy. This is the being from another dimension, who is thousands of years old. The being that vikings refered to as the god of thunder. So excuse him if he had other godly things to take care of.

honestly, and I appologize if I offend anyone

but **** jane foster in the mcu. far and away my least favorite character in the mcu. And reading this just made it even worse. im pissed off now
Well, I'm sorry. I only meant to have fun with the idea of some friction between Thor and Jane (probably prompted by Hemsworth's comment, "Thor might have some explaining to do in this one. . . .There's some fun to be had with that.") I didn't mean to provoke you. (I have been trying not to say much about Jane because I know that for some she is such an irritation, and I'm only trying to have fun here on the Hype.)

We were kind of discussing this over in the Jane Foster thread, so I think I will post the rest of my reply over there.
<end>

Now, in this thread, I did suppose Jane might feel a mixture of anger and joy at seeing Thor again. Here's the chevron (the little arrow) that will take you to that post:

(Edit: sorry, the quote did not get pasted in before)
Quote:
Maybe a mixture of both. I mean, she feels what she feels, but two years is a long time. And the thinker in her might have wondered, y'know, maybe I read too much into this back then, since he hasn't shown up. She doesn't have the benefit of Heimdall filling her in on what Thor's up to, so she really can't know whether or how much he is thinking about her.

In light of Jon(Aqua)'s comments, to characterize her negative feelings as "anger" is too harsh. But I'm sure a part of her wouldn't be able to help feeling disappointed and left questioning what this is. He hasn't technically broken his word by not returning for her, and certainly there was the incredible crisis on earth. I'm sure she's not the least bit upset that he wasn't able to return prior to the events of the Avengers. She knew something had gone terribly wrong with the Bifrost, and as the alternate ending shows, the humans were all certain he would come back if he could.

Getting back to the end of The Avengers, I'm sure there's a part of her that is thinking, "Okay, he'll return, but. . .when? Is this actually going to work, or is it logistically impossible?" And she'll probably wonder if she really interpreted his intentions correctly, since it's been 1 year and counting. Earth's myths are full of stories of "gods" coming to earth, courting earth girls, and then leaving, never to return. Is this the same story, for the umpteenth time? After a while, she may start to feel foolish for carrying a torch for so long. Thor has the benefit of reports from Heimdall as to her continued interest; she has nothing analogous.

And I think she would forebear another year of separation without complaint if she just had a little bit of a lifeline that this is not completely one-sided on her part. So I think a part of her will feel hurt despite the fact that she knows that the events of the Avengers were truly more important, and the hurt would be about his not making even a small acknowledgement that he even remembers her. Just the smallest thing would have been enough. Examples: maybe Erik could have loaned him a mobile phone (Thor may not know what a phone is, but he would have seen people communicate, and besides, Erik knows what a phone is, and knows what is going on between them). Maybe he could have given Erik a note, or told Erik to tell Jane he had not forgotten his promise, or else to convey his apologies for not being able to reach her.

So I think this element touches on the question that Feige posed, "Do they know each other?" She's probably wondering, "Do I actually know him, or am I reading more than I should into this?"

Last edited by American Maid; 11-21-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #305
04nbod
I need to debrief you

They could have fun with it

Jane: You could have called
Thor: Beloved, I doubt you would have heard me.

etc...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #306
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
They could have fun with it

Jane: You could have called
Thor: Beloved, I doubt you would have heard me.

etc...
hee hee hee

BTW, 04nbod, long time no see! Welcome back.

To your point in the other thread, I also hope she uses her brains to achieve some victory in the story. How cool would that be?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #307
04nbod
I need to debrief you

I like the new pictures of her all dirty, it shows she's going to be in the middle of the action unlike last time. She can't be in the middle of the action with no way to defend herself.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #308
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
I like the new pictures of her all dirty, it shows she's going to be in the middle of the action unlike last time. She can't be in the middle of the action with no way to defend herself.
Well, there is the matter of this one plot spoiler:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Jane is supposed to be possessed by a spirit associated with the Dark Elves
I wonder if some of the scenes they shot this week depict that event.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #309
04nbod
I need to debrief you

They would be stupid to make a big deal of that, especially when they have been saying this one is about Thor and Jane and not Thor and the dark elf.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #310
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
They would be stupid to make a big deal of that, especially when they have been saying this one is about Thor and Jane and not Thor and the dark elf.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Well, I had always assumed it was legit, but that Jane would get free of the malevolent spirit at some point (how exactly I am not sure), leaving plenty of Thor and Jane time.

My point here is that in order for her to become possessed, her ability to defend herself against that particular attack must be inadequate for the task (or else there was a mitigating factor).

Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #311
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
the way she's covered in it looks like she got buried in rubble or something, or else she's been rolling around on the ground with Thor.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #312
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

With this new stuff involving Portman's character... I haven't heard or seen any reports of Portman arriving in London to shoot her scenes.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. But where's Darcy? I see Selvig and Jane, but Jane's BFF is nowhere to be found.

"Come Think With Us."

Last edited by mclay18; 11-25-2012 at 11:12 PM.
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #313
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

...I swear there WERE pics of her on set the other day might need to be in the right place at the right time

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #314
American Maid
Side-Kick

There was a possible Kat Dennings sighting last week: http://princehals.tumblr.com/post/36...rld-set-update

Edit: And Kat Dennings reported herself in London on the 22nd: https://twitter.com/OfficialKat

The cast is said to be done with the work at Greenwich University (where the above link was). There may be sound stage work yet.

It's kind of confusing, though, because 2 Broke Girls is still taping (in LA!) every Tuesday. So is Dennings getting on a flight on a Wednesday, filming on a Thursday, Friday, possibly on the weekend, flying back Monday to tape again on Tuesday?

Last edited by American Maid; 11-26-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #315
American Maid
Side-Kick

Also, in case anyone is interested, Natalie Portman was spotted in Paris over the weekend with blonde hair. (It had been colored for her work in the Terrence Malick film she did earlier in the fall.) So it would seem people's guess that she was wearing a wig in the recent Thor 2 set pictures was correct. I had thought a fan site had earlier reported her hair dark again, but apparently not. Don't know why it wasn't colored back, though it's supposed to be very hard on the hair to go from dark to blonde to dark again.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #316
erikc157
New User - Level 0

Quote:
There was a possible Kat Dennings sighting last week: http://princehals.tumblr.com/post/36...rld-set-update

Edit: And Kat Dennings reported herself in London on the 22nd: https://twitter.com/OfficialKat

The cast is said to be done with the work at Greenwich University (where the above link was). There may be sound stage work yet.

It's kind of confusing, though, because 2 Broke Girls is still taping (in LA!) every Tuesday. So is Dennings getting on a flight on a Wednesday, filming on a Thursday, Friday, possibly on the weekend, flying back Monday to tape again on Tuesday?
that was kat dennings stand in last week.
2 broke girls is on a break

erikc157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #317
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc157 View Post
that was kat dennings stand in last week.
2 broke girls is on a break
Ah, so maybe now is her window of opportunity to film her scenes.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #318
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Where are the pics of her on set?

I enjoyed Thor and Jane's relationship in the first movie personally, so I'm interested to see where it goes post-Avengers.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #319
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Where are the pics of her on set?

I enjoyed Thor and Jane's relationship in the first movie personally, so I'm interested to see where it goes post-Avengers.

Her first appearance on set: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=212

Here's a video, as usual from marvel_freshman: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=252

And another view. Be sure to check out the link at the bottom of marvel_freshman's post, too: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=301

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=220

Most people love the red Wellies, so I'll put that pic in directly (again, originally posted by marvel_freshman):
Foster_Selvig.jpg

The red Wellies allows us to spot Jane in the most exciting footage involving her (posted by Frigga). Malekith confronts her and then Thor pushes him away!!

(It helps to put it on full screen mode)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrxHDzyLqjE

A still between takes of that footage: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=369

I also like these two pics showing her with this gadget (also originally posted by marvel_freshman):

Jane_equip2.jpgJane_equip.jpg

That's apparently the maximum I can upload. Fortunately, that also appears to be all the set pics of Jane I can find. But maybe somebody else has some others.

Enjoy!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #320
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Thanks AM. Looks like Jane is going to be in the thick of the action this time and I imagine that thing she is holding has a part to play in stopping the armies from the other realms. Nice to see her colour coordinating with Thor via her red wellies.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #321
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thanks AM. Looks like Jane is going to be in the thick of the action this time and I imagine that thing she is holding has a part to play in stopping the armies from the other realms. Nice to see her colour coordinating with Thor via her red wellies.
Yeah, come to think of it, there are some pics I missed in which she is covered in grey dust. (Ah, here we are, h/t again to marvel_freshman: http://www.popsugar.com/Natalie-Port...26008473?slide) So yeah, she's in the thick of it!

I've got to think the gadget has a part to play. We were talking about it in the main spoilers thread a while back. I was thinking it was a measurement device, and others wondered if it more directly was related to opening portals (I think Jane might succeed in opening (a) portal(s) in this movie).

Color coordinating: hee hee!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #322
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, come to think of it, there are some pics I missed in which she is covered in grey dust. (Ah, here we are, h/t again to marvel_freshman: http://www.popsugar.com/Natalie-Port...26008473?slide) So yeah, she's in the thick of it!

I've got to think the gadget has a part to play. We were talking about it in the main spoilers thread a while back. I was thinking it was a measurement device, and others wondered if it more directly was related to opening portals (I think Jane might succeed in opening (a) portal(s) in this movie).

Color coordinating: hee hee!
Thanks again! Nat pulls the rubble dirt covered look off so well!

I think it's a device for opening the portals as well, I've seen the idea that she has been testing it to get back to Thor and I can see that leading to her opening the wrong portal, it will probably also link into the portal that opened in The Avengers.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #323
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thanks again! Nat pulls the rubble dirt covered look off so well!

I think it's a device for opening the portals as well, I've seen the idea that she has been testing it to get back to Thor and I can see that leading to her opening the wrong portal, it will probably also link into the portal that opened in The Avengers.

Targeting would be a real technical challenge. She may have some idea of in what direction Asgard lies from her measurements in Thor1 and any measurements she's able to take when Thor and Loki depart at the end of The Avengers (seems likely she would). But if she is off by even 0.0001%, at that distance, it could be a huge error.

Now, the error I describe doesn't necessarily fit with Norse Cosmology (Asgard is supposed to be "above" us and Svartalfheim "beneath" us). But yeah, they could do something like that. It would certainly be interesting!

The portal in The Avengers was opened with the Tesseract. Since the Tesseract went to Asgard at the end of TA, I'm not certain how Jane & Co. could tap it.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #324
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I think it's a portable version of that whole friggin van they were in the first movie. She probably usually to measure atmospheric disturbances aka portals

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #325
04nbod
I need to debrief you

The fan love of the red wellies has already begun: