The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 11-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #26
Mogwai
Fanboy

Default Re: Madonna

I like her, JabarR. "Ray of Lights" is one of my favs.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
JabarR
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

JabarR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
JabarR
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #29
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Happy Birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzD9Hx8OFA

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I love Madonna <3

I have all of her studio albums and it sucks that she didn't promote MDNA that much. The singles from the album didn't do well at the charts .

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
BradenPickering
Come on, vogue!

I'm a big Madonna fan but thought I'd be burned alive for starting a thread on someone who's pretty much universally despised, at least these days. I'm not quite as obsessed as I used to be - her music since about 2008 has been pretty awful, though her latest album is "ok" - but I've kept up with her anyway and at this point have about 200 CDs from across the world, and a tattoo of her name and the Ray of Light symbol on my leg.

BradenPickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #32
Lasirius
Tarifa

I like Ray of Light, it's a pretty good album even though I'm not a fan.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebumwhowalks View Post
Ok, so I was thinking... I saw Anne Hathaway doing a good bit of stage performing along those lines in a scene in 'Bride Wars', so if she can sing reasonably well, I'd give her the gig.
Just had a look over at page one and I saw this.

I like Madonna and her music. I like most of her past stuff and think her new album MDNA (especially the Deluxe version) is solid.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #34
Hellion
He's Not Serious

so...MDNA is a buy from you guys, I haven't been too interested in the last couple albums, but am itching to pick this up.

...side note, Borderline is still my all time favorite Madonna song...

Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #35
Widowmaker
Gone Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
so...MDNA is a buy from you guys, I haven't been too interested in the last couple albums, but am itching to pick this up.

MDNA is a decent album, better than Hard Candy. Song wise: Gang Bang is great, Girl Gone Wild is good, so is Turn Up The Radio & I dont give A, but that's about it, to me everything else is lackluster.

My Favorite Madonna Albums:

Bedtime Stories
Im Breathless
Madonna
True Blue
Ray Of Light

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #36
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Yeah, I like it. I would recommend the deluxe edition where you get 5 other songs, especially 'Beautiful Killer'.
Quote:
That is a big favourite of mine. I don't do karaoke but it would be a great song to belt out.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #37
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I haven't enjoyed anything from her since Ray of Light. The b*tch needs to retire.

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #38
BradenPickering
Come on, vogue!

The best way to sum up MDNA is, what's good is REALLY good, but nearly half the album is overproduced filler that doesn't leave much of an impression one way or the other. The plus side to that being, very little is what I would actually call "bad." Although, B-Day Song, I Don't Give A, and Give Me All Your Luvin' come awfully close, lol.

Highlights are definitely Masterpiece, Gang Bang, Girl Gone Wild, Beautiful Killler, and Love Spent. Her current single, Turn Up the Radio, would be a lot better if she didn't sound so bored and wooden, as if she were reading the lyrics from a page. The beat is good, but the way she sings it sort of negates the whole "summer fun" theme it's trying to convey. That's my opinion anyway, but being a fan for 25 years and having a Madonna tattoo I'd like to think it's worth something .

BradenPickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
Hellion
He's Not Serious

This is my favorite performance of Borderline:
http://youtu.be/6g-JH4JWGhg

Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #40
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I love Madonna <3

I have all of her studio albums and it sucks that she didn't promote MDNA that much. The singles from the album didn't do well at the charts .
Partially cause she didn't promote it, and partially because she picked three of the worst songs to chose as singles. She should have went with "Give Me All Your Luvin'" as a Super Bowl promo only. Lead with "I'm Addicted," followed with "Gang Bang" and then released either "Love Spent," "I'm a Sinner," "Beautiful Killer" or "I ****ed Up" (clearly edited for radio).

But she got lazy with this album's promo. It's like she literally went, "I did the Super Bowl. Promo's done. Tour time!"

No girl. That's not how it works. You've been in the game long enough to know better.

As I go deep into the funnel of love

Tumblr

Liz Lemon is my spirit animal
newwaveboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #41
Godzilla2000
Empathically Inclined

Quote:
Originally Posted by newwaveboy87 View Post
Partially cause she didn't promote it, and partially because she picked three of the worst songs to chose as singles. She should have went with "Give Me All Your Luvin'" as a Super Bowl promo only. Lead with "I'm Addicted," followed with "Gang Bang" and then released either "Love Spent," "I'm a Sinner," "Beautiful Killer" or "I ****ed Up" (clearly edited for radio).

But she got lazy with this album's promo. It's like she literally went, "I did the Super Bowl. Promo's done. Tour time!"

No girl. That's not how it works. You've been in the game long enough to know better.
I hate to burst your bubble but in this day and age most artists who are not blank minded pop tarts or Justin Biebers have to make most of their money from touring, so yeah, she will spend most of her energy promoting her tour over her albums because business wise it's smarter to do.

Anyways, I am just a bit perplexed by something that started ever since Madonna was announced as the act for the last Superbowl half time show. Here's the TMZ blurb about that:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/07/gene-s...halftime-show/

Basically Jean Simmons of KISS has been really hating on Madonna ever since then. I am just baffled as to why he's been so hateful towards her. There's a theory going around that it's because he's a fierce supporter of Lady Gaga, whom Madonna has been feuding with lately. If this is the case he should just mind his own business because Gaga, her stage name not withstanding, is a big girl now and should be able to fight her own battles with another pop diva. Me, I have been a fan of hers since 1983 and I feel like the corporate music Gaga spouts and her image is a direct rip off of Madonna and Erasure. But not that my opinion counts that much anyway because *ahem* I'm a lowly country bumpkin who's not as sophisticated in "the real world" as big city folk. God, Jean can act like such a nagging harpy most of the time.

- Why is so much anger, possessiveness and jealousy unfairly attached to me like a herculean burden akin to Atlas holding up the world for all eternity or Sisyphus rolling a boulder futilely up a mountain?

- Keep riding that crazy train.

- It's others that are the problem in a case of addictions. The loved one must be separated from these influences and have positive, nonaddicted, good influences implanted in their lives.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 11-19-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Well excuse me princesses!
Godzilla2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #42
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but in this day and age most artists who are not blank minded pop tarts or Justin Biebers have to make most of their money from touring, so yeah, she will spend most of her energy promoting her tour over her albums because business wise it's smarter to do.
First, don't ever assume that I'm dumb and don't know what I'm talking about. Second, artists have ALWAYS made more money from touring than from selling albums or singles. Most of that money goes back to the label to cover the costs of producing the album and paying the people who worked on it. BUT as a writer/producer/artist, she gets a good chunk of the percentage of those sales.

My point was, she should have been promoting the album more and releasing better singles so it would have sold more and she could have added more luster to her legacy. That was all. She was smart though for touring so quickly after the album was released and not waiting a full year like Lady Gaga's dumbass did. It's legacy work I'm talking about.

At least she's handled her era far better than No Doubt has. That just breaks my heart and makes me depressed.

Quote:
http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/07/gene-s...halftime-show/

Basically Jean Simmons of KISS has been really hating on Madonna ever since then. I am just baffled as to why he's been so hateful towards her. There's a theory going around that it's because he's a fierce supporter of Lady Gaga, whom Madonna has been feuding with lately. If this is the case he should just mind his own business because Gaga, her stage name not withstanding, is a big girl now and should be able to fight her own battles with another pop diva. Me, I have been a fan of hers since 1983 and I feel like the corporate music Gaga spouts and her image is a direct rip off of Madonna and Erasure. But not that my opinion counts that much anyway because *ahem* I'm a lowly country bumpkin who's not as sophisticated in "the real world" as big city folk. God, Jean can act like such a nagging harpy most of the time.
Jean Simmons is a dead movie star from the Old Hollywood system. You mean Gene Simmons. Who has always been a big mouthed, ****-talking artist with little musical ability, artistry or legitimate musical and social impact/legacy to speak of. He's a cartoon character masquerading as rock star.

I never take him seriously. He talks crap about everyone and everything. Best to just ignore him and hope that he'll go away.

As for Lady Gaga, never liked her. Found her to be reductive and carbon copied of so many of the icons that I love -- Debbie Harry, David Bowie, Grace Jones, etc. I grow tired of her constantly staying in character. And her oblique lyrics which don't make any sense and aren't anywhere near as deep or meaningful as she makes them out to be. Hunty, lay off the pot when you write. It sounds pretty stupid on the outside.

Tumblr

Last edited by newwaveboy87; 11-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

I like me some Kiss on occasion, but Gene Simmons is a total goon sometimes, like his friend Donald Trump. If you're not his close personal friend, then you're **** in his eyes.

Gene badmouths Patti Smith for heaven's sake, and doesn't seem to be able to understand why she deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame over him. Idiot.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #44
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
I like me some Kiss on occasion, but Gene Simmons is a total goon sometimes, like his friend Donald Trump. If you're not his close personal friend, then you're **** in his eyes.

Gene badmouths Patti Smith for heaven's sake, and doesn't seem to be able to understand why she deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame over him. Idiot.
Precisely.

Maybe because Patti Smith is a unique, singular and amazing talent who brought something original to music. She may not be the best singer, but she's passionate and a one of a kind.

KISS is so generic. Oh, they brought theatricality to makeup for their lack of musicianship and songwriting. Well, Alice Cooper, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Madonna, Queen and Iggy Pop all brought musicianship AND theatricality.

Tumblr

Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #45
Eldwin

Hi JabarR,
I was a big fan of Madonna till early 90's but unfortunately after that didn't noticed mega hit from Guinness World Records holder. Madonna is recognized as the best selling female recording artist of all time.

Eldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
SnowWhite

Red face Re: Madonna

SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
SnowWhite

Smile Re: Madonna

Listened to Ray Of Light just this morning. Madonna so unique, we are lucky lil ones to have her in our time and space here. She rocked us! And thanks for the great videos.

SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #48
JabarR
Side-Kick