The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #301
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Skyfall vs. TDKR

Yeah, I am thankfull we had a great Batman and Bond film in the same year, that was great seriously. As far as comparisions go I maintain that The Dark Knight Rises is more like The World Is Not Enough that Skyfall is to TDK.

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #302
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonmhan View Post
Yeah, I am thankfull we had a great Batman and Bond film in the same year, that was great seriously. As far as comparisions go I maintain that The Dark Knight Rises is more like The World Is Not Enough that Skyfall is to TDK.
I'd agree with those comparisions, and unfortunately TWINE is one of the weaker Bond flicks. The Bane/Talia relationship is almost exactly like the Renard/Electra relationship, Renard is a vicious terrorist who cannot feel pain, You have a hero who's physically, mentally, and emotionally compromised, you have a film which has much more of a downbeat and depressing tone, And you have over the top action which conflicts a bit with the more personal story the film wants to tell. I'd say Skyfall is like TDK in its villan and that's about it. Other than that, its oddly closer to TDKR .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #303
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Hardy had a great performance through his eyes and physicality with being hindered by a mask though. That should say a lot about an overall performance as well.
It does , but for me , if its between Bardem and Hardy its no contest. Bardem's character wins. It doesn't mean I think Hardy is bad , it means I just found Silva to be a better written and characterized, and dynamic villan. In the end , imo, Bane became nothing more than an overhyped henchmen.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #304
Anno_Domini
Banned User

To each their own, but Silva was so much like Joker, it's hard to pick a villain that seemed like another villain, lol. Silva was a good Bond villain for Skyfall, sure, but he wasn't hugely different than anything we've seen before, imo.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #305
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

He was only vaguely like the heath joker tbh. He actually reminded me more of the animated series joker funny enough with his flamboyance.

Although i wonder how batman would have taken to the joker trying to seduce him? I don't think he'd handle it as well as bond did.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #306
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Lol, oh man, what a scene that would've been.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #307
TheBat812
Side-Kick

I just imagine a lot of Bale yelling, haha.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #308
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
It does , but for me , if its between Bardem and Hardy its no contest. Bardem's character wins. It doesn't mean I think Hardy is bad , it means I just found Silva to be a better written and characterized, and dynamic villan. In the end , imo, Bane became nothing more than an overhyped henchmen.
Quoted for truth. That's all he was. Kinda like Scarecrow except with more clout.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #309
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'd agree with those comparisions, and unfortunately TWINE is one of the weaker Bond flicks. The Bane/Talia relationship is almost exactly like the Renard/Electra relationship, Renard is a vicious terrorist who cannot feel pain, You have a hero who's physically, mentally, and emotionally compromised, you have a film which has much more of a downbeat and depressing tone, And you have over the top action which conflicts a bit with the more personal story the film wants to tell. I'd say Skyfall is like TDK in its villan and that's about it. Other than that, its oddly closer to TDKR .
Yeah, and don't forget both TDKR and TWINE involve the detonation of a Nuclear device that would destroy an entire city (Gotham / Istanbul).

Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #310
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Yeah, and don't forget both TDKR and TWINE involve the detonation of a Nuclear device that would destroy an entire city (Gotham / Istanbul).
LOL I never even realized that before.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #311
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Never even watch TWINE so I'll take all of you guys' word for it, lol.

The only Brosnan Bond film I've seen is GoldenEye. And the game was so much better, haha.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #312
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Never even watch TWINE so I'll take all of you guys' word for it, lol.

The only Brosnan Bond film I've seen is GoldenEye. And the game was so much better, haha.
I'll say go watch it, its not great but neither bad by any means. Actually TWINE is Brosnan second best Bond film IMO.

Ninja Edit

Don't ever go near "Die Another Day"...just, please don't.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #313
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

TWINE by Garbage is my favorite Bond song...so it has that going for it.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #314
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Tom Mankiewicz who might be familiar to some as a writer on Superman The Movie and wrote a few of the Roger Moore Bond films also had a script idea for the Batman movie when development was beginning in the early 80's.

It's interesting I'm reading an issue of Back Issue #57 that spotlights Jeanette Kahn and in it they talk at how Mankiewicz treatment for the Batman felt too much like a James Bond film, I just find it curious what with this thread and all.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #315
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I like both Batman and Bond. I thought Skyfall was a great addition to the series. I thought TDK Rises had a lot of good going for it. It was a good year for both franchises.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #316
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

TDKR is a better film than TWINE, but Sophie Marceau utterly trumps Cotillard (in this film) in beauty, vulnerability, sympathy, and villainous crazyness.

She could've been a great Talia a decade ago.

The Centurions Live Action Film!

Last edited by Tacit Ronin; 11-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #317
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I like both Batman and Bond. I thought Skyfall was a great addition to the series. I thought TDK Rises had a lot of good going for it. It was a good year for both franchises.
I completely agree. They are a great addition to the series , and both of them treat the material and the audience with respect (something rare in big productions , and i would say in the future it will be even rarer) . What's sad is that for one Rises/Skyfall , we see being produced garbage after garbage after garbage. Its very nice that we had 2 big action movies like this in one year.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #318
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
TDKR is a better film than TWINE, but Sophie Marceau utterly trumps Cotillard (in this film) in beauty, vulnerability, sympathy, and villainous crazyness.

Can't disagree there. She would have made an ideal Talia back then.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #319
Tequilla
Side-Kick

She's kinda flat (acting-wise). Marion is a much better actress.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #320
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:

Agreed. Just looking at her there in that pic she looks so much like comic book Talia. More than Cottiard does.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #321
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:

Yeah,she was my pick for Talia,back in the day.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #322
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
She's kinda flat (acting-wise). Marion is a much better actress.
I completely disagree here. Marion was the worst performance in TDKR (death scene was laughable), I can't remember a performance from Sophie were I had a reaction like that.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #323
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think that death scene has unfortunately tainted Marion's whole performance in the movie for a lot of people. Bale has easily had his share of completely over the top moments as Batman throughout the trilogy, but I can forgive that because he's pretty much awesome in the role overall.

I thought she did fine as Tate. She had that mysterious allure to her, very classic femme fatale. The scene where she actually turns was really good I thought. When she says "feel the fire of 12 million souls...you failed", it's pretty chilling. Overall though, her character wasn't a movie highlight simply because you had Bale, Hardy, Hathaway and Caine lighting up the screen, with Oldman and JGL giving rock solid performances that grounded the movie. Miranda kind of seems like the odd one out in the story until the movie briefly brings her into focus.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 11-24-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #324
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think that death scene has unfortunately tainted Marion's whole performance in the movie for a lot of people. Bale has easily had his share of completely over the top moments as Batman throughout the trilogy, but I can forgive that because he's pretty much awesome in the role overall.

I thought she did fine as Tate. She had that mysterious allure to her, very classic femme fatale. The scene where she actually turns was really good I thought. When she says "feel the fire of 12 million souls...you failed", it's pretty chilling. Overall though, her character wasn't a movie highlight simply because you had Bale, Hardy, Hathaway and Caine stealing way more scenes, with Oldman and JGL giving rock solid performances. Miranda kind of seems like the odd one out in the story until the movie briefly brings her into focus.
That really was a fantastic line and delivery. I definitely agree that the death scene taints (or should we say, tates, heeeyoh) her performance and she's fine throughout the rest of the film.

I will say though, after being mesmerized by her work in both Public Enemies and Inception, her performance here felt a bit.. flat.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #325
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
That really was a fantastic line and delivery. I definitely agree that the death scene taints (or should we say, tates, heeeyoh) her performance and she's fine throughout the rest of the film.

I will say though, after being mesmerized by her work in both Public Enemies and Inception, her performance here felt a bit.. flat.
Yeah, it certainly wasn't her best work by any means. And I think her playing another femme fatale in a Nolan film after Inception might have been a tad obvious (although I think Nolan kind of wanted to lean on this familiarity to his audience a bit to help "sell" her evilness)

Still though, it's kinda neat to think that this series featured Ra's and Talia al Ghul played by Oscar nominee Liam Neeson and Oscar winner Marion Cotillard.

More and more actually, Neeson's performance has become one of my favorites of the trilogy. I kind of took it for granted at first because on some level it's just Liam Neeson being Liam Neeson, but he really makes an amazing cinematic Ra's al Ghul and gives the role a lot of prestige. He makes you fully believe in the idea that Batman could feasibly take on 600 men because he just has that kind of commanding on-screen presence.

Really off topic I know.