The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Zeerola
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Default Pepper Potts as Rescue

Those who are familiar with comics probably know that at one point Pepper gets turned into cyborg superheroine Rescue. That happens because she's seriously injured during explosion so Tony must put magnet into her chest. She also gets her own suit that she uses to escape from Stark Industries when under attack.
Seeing the explosion in IM3 trailer got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool to have Pepper turn into Rescue? And then have her own spin-off movie?

I know it's unlikely because studios are deathly afraid of female superhero leads. But one can hope, right?


Last edited by Zeerola; 11-21-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,499
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerola View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to have Pepper turn into Rescue?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerola View Post
And then have her own spin-off movie?
Again. No.


I don't think it's likely she'll armour up in this movie. I'm wary of any rumour that says she possibly could, it would seem like an armoured hero too far and a spin-off movie is just unwarranted. She can't carry a movie by herself.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick
 
TheHeatKitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,091
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Rescue is cheesy, keep it away.... period.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,200
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

I doubt they'll make her a "cyborg",but I'm willing to bet they'll have her armor up in 3.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Just one more
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 159
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
Rescue is cheesy, keep it away.... period.
It's the next logical progression for her character. I just don't understand why people are so against this.

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

I'm against it because it just piles up too many armored superheroes. I actually don't care for War Machine that much either for the same reason. It kinda dilutes Iron Man's uniqueness.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,499
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
It's the next logical progression for her character. I just don't understand why people are so against this.
No it isn't. There is nothing in the movies that even suggest that.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
WindsofHorus
Test Pilot of the Future
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 260
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

She never becomes a cyborg

It's just a terrible idea that makes the armors feel cheap.

There is no real reason for it.

__________________
Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk.
WindsofHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Just one more
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 159
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
No it isn't. There is nothing in the movies that even suggest that.
She starts out as just an assistant, develops into Tony's crush and then his girlfriend. She saves his life, takes control of Stark Enterprises before becoming his wife.

She has been in direct physical danger in both IM and IM2 while he has been busy elsewhere (struggling with no chest piece in IM1, fighting Vanko in IM2).

IM3:
Startk:
I hope I can protect the one thing I can't live without (as he gestures at Pepper)

How is it not the next logical progression for her character? OF COURSE he would make her a suit of armour. Really, he would be stupid not too.

Combine that with the fact that she does become Rescue in the comics and I just don't see what there is to complain about.

I understand the point about having too many people in armour, but really, we have had Iron Monger, War Machine and Whiplash, that's all. Not like the list is very long.

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,186
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsofHorus View Post
She never becomes a cyborg

It's just a terrible idea that makes the armors feel cheap.

There is no real reason for it.
If more than one character having any power makes it cheap, then there ought to be only one super-strong hero, right? So by that rationale Thor shouldn't have super-strength, because Hulk beat him to it, though Thor's "god of thunder" weather powers are unique. (Storm should never have been created, though.) And Captain America just might as well not suit up at all because he's just another strong guy, albeit with a strength level that's far below the others. Bringing in Ms./Captain Marvel would be even more redundant since strength is one of her main shticks, along with energy blasts that duplicate Iron Man and Thor's powers. There should be only one Ant-Man, of course (though Wasp gets a bye because she has wings). And so on.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
Just one more
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 159
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

^^^

This

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Guhndoi
Side-Kick's Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 913
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

It makes sense in the realm of the movies because of the danger Pepper will more often than not find herself in. Having Tony make a suit of armour for her and learning how to use it to protect herself doesn't mean she has to become a superhero and join the Avengers.

I wouldn't want that. Just her having armour would be cool to see. Not necessarily her being Rescue.

Guhndoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Trimmings
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 286
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

IMO Tony would be an idiot to not make a "rescue" armor for Pepper since she's been in trouble and alone in both movies. It'd probably just work best as a nod, though. With her having no control and it just basically encasing her and taking her away to safety, maybe even with her protesting

Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman
 
Monsieur Xavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: France
Posts: 4,061
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

If they run out of idea for the next movies why not but I doubt she will have an armor in this one.

__________________
"Each experience carries its own lesson"
"Hope clouds judgement"
Bene Gesserit aphorisms - Dune
Monsieur Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Zeerola
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmings View Post
It'd probably just work best as a nod, though. With her having no control and it just basically encasing her and taking her away to safety, maybe even with her protesting
That would make her just another Damsel in distress. They are dime a dozen and they are boring as hell.

Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
WindsofHorus
Test Pilot of the Future
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 260
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
If more than one character having any power makes it cheap, then there ought to be only one super-strong hero, right? So by that rationale Thor shouldn't have super-strength, because Hulk beat him to it, though Thor's "god of thunder" weather powers are unique. (Storm should never have been created, though.) And Captain America just might as well not suit up at all because he's just another strong guy, albeit with a strength level that's far below the others. Bringing in Ms./Captain Marvel would be even more redundant since strength is one of her main shticks, along with energy blasts that duplicate Iron Man and Thor's powers. There should be only one Ant-Man, of course (though Wasp gets a bye because she has wings). And so on.
That were would be true if Thor turned into a big huge green guy, or if Hulk had a Hammer and could summon lightning. All those character you mentioned have very different gimmicks.

In Iron Man 3 you're literally going to have three people using the EXACT same weapon system. Rhodey makes sense in the movies being he's a pilot, and Stark wanted to bring him in on it anyway.

That said, I have yet to see anyone post a real reason why this should happen except it happens in the comics, and Fraction's Iron Man should be completely ignored because it's craptastic.

__________________
Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk.
WindsofHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick
 
TheHeatKitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,091
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I'm against it because it just piles up too many armored superheroes. I actually don't care for War Machine that much either for the same reason. It kinda dilutes Iron Man's uniqueness.
Exactly! The last thing Iron Man movies need is MORE armored people and/or drones. That's all the first two films were about. Give him a new threat, more creative changes and progression. I would rather see Pepper die than go the Rescue route

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick
 
TheHeatKitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,091
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
She starts out as just an assistant, develops into Tony's crush and then his girlfriend. She saves his life, takes control of Stark Enterprises before becoming his wife.

She has been in direct physical danger in both IM and IM2 while he has been busy elsewhere (struggling with no chest piece in IM1, fighting Vanko in IM2).

IM3:
Startk:
I hope I can protect the one thing I can't live without (as he gestures at Pepper)

How is it not the next logical progression for her character? OF COURSE he would make her a suit of armour. Really, he would be stupid not too.

Combine that with the fact that she does become Rescue in the comics and I just don't see what there is to complain about.

I understand the point about having too many people in armour, but really, we have had Iron Monger, War Machine and Whiplash, that's all. Not like the list is very long.
Yes, there are those three you listed, but 1. Look at the percentage. Two films, two villains that are a guy in bigger armor. Boring. 2. The drones are essentially the same thing, just controlled remotely rather than by a guy inside them. Just a device used to get MORE in the movie. And 3. Think about Tony's character progression. If his goal is always kill someone who's copying him, that's repetitive.

less armor, less drones, more creative threats. I'd be ok with her having an armor that saves her from the house, but her in armor, fighting, just like Tony AND Rhodey is boring and lazy.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

I'd love it. I think if it happens it will be because she gets injured in the missile attack we see in the trailer.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,200
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
She starts out as just an assistant, develops into Tony's crush and then his girlfriend. She saves his life, takes control of Stark Enterprises before becoming his wife.

She has been in direct physical danger in both IM and IM2 while he has been busy elsewhere (struggling with no chest piece in IM1, fighting Vanko in IM2).

IM3:
Startk:
I hope I can protect the one thing I can't live without (as he gestures at Pepper)

How is it not the next logical progression for her character? OF COURSE he would make her a suit of armour. Really, he would be stupid not too.

Combine that with the fact that she does become Rescue in the comics and I just don't see what there is to complain about.

I understand the point about having too many people in armour, but really, we have had Iron Monger, War Machine and Whiplash, that's all. Not like the list is very long.
That's the key line,isn't it?I'm pretty sure that's the indication that he makes her the armor.

People are making it out that she'll be going out flying missions with Stark and Rhodey,but what will probably be the case is that she'll wear the armor near the end to shield herself from an attack,and end up using it to save Tony from some sort of danger.Prompting Tony to comment on how good she is at coming to the RESCUE.With her replying "I'm never wearing this again!"

I wouldn't be worried about it.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Zeerola
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
With her replying "I'm never wearing this again!"
Now that would truly be lame.

Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #22
AnorexicBatman
Side-Kick
 
AnorexicBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

I say go for it. Too many damsels in distress in superhero-films anyways and not enough femme fighters.

__________________
CURRENT FANFIC: DBZ Legend -- ALT Universe
Quote:
Raditz had triggered a memory that Vegeta wished never existed. He grabbed Raditz by his neck, lifted him up a good few feet off the ground and slammed his body into the large metallic wall behind them, paying no heed to his cries of mercy and slowly tightening his grip, “DON’T YOU EVER! REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!!”
AnorexicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,499
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
How is it not the next logical progression for her character?
Because that has nothing to do with her character. Tony making her an armour because she's been in danger in two movies is a terrible excuse for her to get her own armour (you might as well armour up Happy Hogan at the same time). That's by no means a logical next step for her character. Her progression in the previous movies does not point to Rescue.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 11-21-2012 at 07:17 PM.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
Just one more
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 159
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

*armor

Armor up Happy Hogan? Seriously? She's not one of his bodyguards, she is his wife. How is her being in physical danger a bad excuse for her getting into armor? It makes so much sense to me that I can't believe you don't get it.

The whole point of Rescue is that she is not armed with any weapns, the suit is designed to protect her. She has saved (rescued) him twice already, almost dying in the process, a protective suit is extremely logical. It's not like the suit is designed to go into battle with Tony, it's designed to protect her and get her away from danger, that's the direction I think they will go.

He obviously builds a lot of suits, there have been what 7 different variations on screen alone, let alone the prototypes we don't see. Are you telling me that it is not reasonable that while making all these suits, he would make one for the woman he loves?

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #25
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,186
Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsofHorus View Post
That were would be true if Thor turned into a big huge green guy, or if Hulk had a Hammer and could summon lightning. All those character you mentioned have very different gimmicks.

In Iron Man 3 you're literally going to have three people using the EXACT same weapon system. Rhodey makes sense in the movies being he's a pilot, and Stark wanted to bring him in on it anyway.

That said, I have yet to see anyone post a real reason why this should happen except it happens in the comics, and Fraction's Iron Man should be completely ignored because it's craptastic.

There is a very good reason why Pepper might get a suit of armor: She's being attacked by Tony's enemies yet again. Pepper is in the line of fire because of Tony, so it makes perfect sense that he would come up with a means to protect her from danger when he can't himself. You may not like that reasoning, but it's not a stretch by any means.


Fans usually whine when the films diverge from the comics, but in the case of War Machine and Rescue all the pissing and moaning is about developments that are canon. In Rhodey's case, he has had the armor in one form or another since the 1983. War Machine has three decades of history behind him and his existence is by no means controversial anywhere but on forums like this. Pepper got her suit more recently, but again it's part of comics lore that the filmmakers are going to mine for ideas.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.