The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #851
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Hopefully Rafa gets a good response at Anfield.
I expect he will do

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #852
Van Petrol
Vacant

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Chelsea at it again. If I was Pep, I wouldn't bother taking up the job. A few bad results and even he could find himself eventually out the door. Ridiculous decision to get rid of Di Matteo at this point.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #853
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

What are LA Galaxy fan's views on Beckham & his contribution over 6 years now that his time there is coming to an end? I know there were a few ups & downs but are general opinions more favourable than not?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #854
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
I agree with quite a few of your points, but I also believe Rafas last season was more of a blip than anything else, we had no striker cover for Torres who was injured for alot of time- the problem with our transfer policy was that Rafa wasnt in charge of negotiating fees etc... he had to give a list of targets to Parry who then went out and negotiated the deals, buggest example is he said he wanted Barry and Keane (not Barry or Keane) as he saw them fitting into a particular system, when Parry failed to land Barry he went out and spent big on Keane to make sure he got his man (awful negotiating, although in his defense he managed to sell Keane back to Spurs for 17 mil somehow)

I think Rafa should have been kep to see what he did next, I personally think he had a plan in action and that it would have been a momentary blip, Hodgson coming in and buying crap like Poulssen and Paul ****ing Konchesky is what really set us back imo - of course it really is all peoples personal opinion regarding that

look at our current first team though; Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Shelvey, Suso are all Rafa players and I dont think many would argue they are all either top class or extremely promising players - he had a vision and a long term plan which is why I actually wish we had got him back in the summer, but nevermind I like Brendan and back him 100% as he too seems to be a man with a long term vision/plan

I do really like the man and he wont be given enough time at Chelsea - and the situation would be awful for him as I can see a core of Chelsea players who would be opposed to him from the get go (no prizes for guessing who) and a fanbase who actively despise him and would call for his head at the first opportunity - HOWEVER if he were given time I think he would do great thngs with Chelsea, and that saddens me a bit also
Despite what I've already said, I do funny enough do agree on some level that Benitez should have stayed. Unless of course he didn't impress them in his end of season meeting with what he planned to do to remedy the problems or unless they had someone with a proven track record in mind to replace him.

Hodgson in my opinion simply wasn't it, he's not even England manager material but that's another story. He belongs with mid-table/struggling clubs, he will get them playing well & keep them in the Premiership. Not at clubs that are chasing league titles & Champions League qualification.. at least in my opinion anyway.

I've always been a fan of stability. Sure Liverpool had a stinking season & logically I feel sacking him was the only choice... however I also think that sacking managers left, right & centre doesn't do anybody any favours & given he had been their over 5 years they might have wanted to give him half a season to change the clubs fortunes.. however again to turn the arguement around perhaps the board felt that he had been inching them forward year after year, then for them to jump a yard back might have been deemed unacceptable.

I'm not looking forward to when Sir Alex retires, I just pray the Glazers aren't as stupid as Abramovich.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #855
B
[insert witty comment]

City/Madrid wasn't exactly a classic. Mourinho I think had set Madrid up to be more counter attacking believing that City would obviously want to be pressing the action. They were very organised for the most part & City really couldn't create very much.

Kompany should have had a red card I feel, there were at least 2 occasions when Ronaldo isolated himself with Kompany on the break & knocked the ball past him knowing he would destroy him in a race to the ball & on both occasions Kompany followed Ronaldo even though he took a very wide line & reached out to push him off balance even though the ball was nowhere near Ronaldo. He should have been yellow carded twice for obstruction.

The penalty was a mix up of legs more than anything it seemed although I only saw the replay once. Aguero didn't help Arbeloa by clutching his leg as if he'd been shot.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #856
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
I cant believe Chelsea fans are angry over Rafas appointment - amazing manager, they really dont deserve him, it amazes me as out of any set of fans I would expect Chelsea ones to recognise how good he is seeing as he did them over time and time again despite being on a much smaller budget when he was here - I actually hope he does well Kit.... and then comes home, we know he loves Liverpool

I actually got tickets to the Chelsea game the other day, so will probably be chanting his name come March to show my respect
There's the history there though with his run ins with Mourhinho and the fans in the past. It's kinda like Wenger going to manage UTD, or Fergie going to manage Arsenal....It just won't sit well with the fans.

Agree though it makes no sense making him the stand-in for the rest of the season (presumably keeping the seat warm for Pep). May as well have stuck with RDM if that's the game plan, as it was just a few weeks ago that we were one terrible referee away from going 7 points clear at the top of the table. And it's not RDM's fault he has effectively had no proper striker all season.

Maybe that's why they went with Benitez...One last desperate attempt to get Torres back into something resembling his former self. Seems utterly ridiculous to sack and appoint a new manager for the sake of one stroppy under performing player, but I would not put anything past Roman or the Chelsea board. They are ridiculous.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #857
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Chelsea at it again. If I was Pep, I wouldn't bother taking up the job. A few bad results and even he could find himself eventually out the door. Ridiculous decision to get rid of Di Matteo at this point.
Thing is managing Chelsea is easy money now, especially for a good manager with an established record: Pep can absolutely guarantee himself an expensive long term deal (minimum 4 year contract I'd bet) and know full well that if he did get sacked he'd likely leave with his reputation not harmed at all (Mourhinho, Ancellotti, and now RDM's CV's have not been harmed by Roman's stupidity) and get a huge pay-off to boot.

Hell, if I was a manager I'd love the idea of managing Chelsea. When things go tits up for a few games, I'd just wait for the knee jerk sacking and be laughing all the way to the bank with Roman's generous cheque held tightly in my fist.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #858
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

The reactions to Benitez being made interim manager have been pretty extreme, on a whole Chelsea fans are furious and talking boycott's and protests. On the other side Liverpool fans are split between those that are distraught over him managing a club they hate, to those talking about buying Chelsea shirts with Rafa on the back and supporting them in the race for the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
City/Madrid wasn't exactly a classic. Mourinho I think had set Madrid up to be more counter attacking believing that City would obviously want to be pressing the action. They were very organised for the most part & City really couldn't create very much.

Kompany should have had a red card I feel, there were at least 2 occasions when Ronaldo isolated himself with Kompany on the break & knocked the ball past him knowing he would destroy him in a race to the ball & on both occasions Kompany followed Ronaldo even though he took a very wide line & reached out to push him off balance even though the ball was nowhere near Ronaldo. He should have been yellow carded twice for obstruction.

The penalty was a mix up of legs more than anything it seemed although I only saw the replay once. Aguero didn't help Arbeloa by clutching his leg as if he'd been shot.
The weirdest thing in the match to me was Mancini taking off Aguero and putting on Milner when they needed a goal. Overall I thought Real should have finished the game off in the first half, but in fairness Silva and Aguero got City ticking in the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Maybe that's why they went with Benitez...One last desperate attempt to get Torres back into something resembling his former self. Seems utterly ridiculous to sack and appoint a new manager for the sake of one stroppy under performing player, but I would not put anything past Roman or the Chelsea board. They are ridiculous.
This is Souness' theory as well and quite a few articles suggest Torres was at the center of most of the RDM and Abramovich unrest, as RDM was forced to play him.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 11-21-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #859
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

If that's the case, then after the similar Shevchenko Mourinho situation we can conclude that Abramovich never learns. In case we didn't already know.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #860
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
This is Souness' theory as well and quite a few articles suggest Torres was at the center of most of the RDM and Abramovich unrest, as RDM was forced to play him.
This goes back to the summer: RDM wanted to buy another striker after Drogba left, but Torres gave it the big one saying he couldn't work with another striker and one wasn't needed, as he was up for the job...lol.

So under instruction RDM had to play Torres regardless of his poor form (and utter lack of effort against teams like Swansea and West Brom) and this all came to a head with the game against Juventus. RDM felt he could not risk starting such an important game with an obvious passenger, after Torres was again pathetic at the weekend, so he wanted to start with Sturridge, but he got injured the day before and rather than go back to Torres (after telling him he was out, which no doubt had the sulky git in another hissy fit) he tried to play Hazzard as the hit-man.

The gamble didn't pay off, and though Torres had 20 ineffective minutes (justifying his exclusion imo) the blame for the defeat all fell on RDM. He basically challenged Roman with the Juventus match, and unfortunately he lost, and now he is gone.

Like I said before in another comment, Torres has now seen off 3 managers in his near to 2 years at Chelsea. Ancellotti never wanted him, and couldn't get sod all out of him. AVB couldn't get sod all out of anybody, and now RDM, a popular man with the players (all but Torres that is) and the fans for obvious reasons, who had Chelsea playing some great football (until the ball gets to Torres...), was also unable to get much out of him.

Maybe Benitez can, but I don't care. I want Torres gone and the sooner the better. Guy feels like a bloody Jonah atm.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #861
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
What are LA Galaxy fan's views on Beckham & his contribution over 6 years now that his time there is coming to an end? I know there were a few ups & downs but are general opinions more favourable than not?
I am not an LA Galaxy fan, but I am an MLS fan. I can say that Beckham has done a lot of good for MLS. Since his arrival in January 2007, MLS has expanded into Canada and the Pacific Northwest also including Philadelphia. New, smaller Soccer Specific Stadiums have opened up in Houston, Montreal, Philly, Kansas City (on the Kansas side of the city), Colorado, Utah and New Jersey since his arrival. Also his arrival brought on players like Thierry Henry and Robbie Keane.

The MLS still has issues (such as a lack of presence in the Deep South and stadium issues in San Jose, DC and New England and Chivas USA), but the league is in much better shape now than when he first arrived.

As for him being an MLS owner? He could end up buying the Galaxy a year from now. Or he might like it in New York so much (I think he ends up playing alongside Henry in New Jersey) that he becomes part of an ownership group that buys the revived NY Cosmos of the NASL and moves them up to MLS.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #862
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
If thats the case then Beniztez will have it cut out for him as half the playing staff will already be against him - fun times

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #863
ttotheusher
In the Palais

Quote:
In terms of actual playing form and the like, the trouble he's had is injuries. He's been there 6 years, and more than likely only player 3-4 of it. He's done well in recent seasons because he's had a younger, more energetic player beside him in Juninho to make the box-to-box runs, whilst he can sit back and dictate the play. His legs have seriously gone though.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #864
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

What are the chances of Becks joining Man United in January? It will be like a signing a new player with a experience. I guesses his salary will stop us from getting him.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Old 11-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #865
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

I don't think he is at the level United require - he isnt deserving of anything over 50k a week imo

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #866
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Yeah he will have to lower his salary if he his to go back to Man U, but I think he could make difference. I don't see him being a regular starter, but he can still change the dynamic of a game with his crosses.

Beside if Man U bring him back, it will make sense at least in Business terms... All the positive PR, Shirt Sales etc... Media and Fans will be excited to see Becks don a Man U shirt even if its just for the remainder of this season.

Becks still has some life in him, so I don't see a reason why he shouldn't go back

Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #867
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
As a longtime LA Galaxy fan (back when Cobi Jones was still playing and Landon Donovan was in San Jose) it's a mixed bag. He certainly raised the level of awareness for the club and MLS around the world. I think it's safe to say the LA Galaxy are the most popular MLS club in the world. As for the on field product, be it because of injuries or otherwise it really did seem like those first couple of years he wasn't giving maximum effort. That could be due to getting use to the physical style of MLS or because he wasn't taking it seriously but you can't deny the contribution he's made in the last couple of seasons. MLS Cup, Supporters Shield. Only thing he didn't win at MLS is the US Open Cup. He will definitely be remembered favorably if only for the fact that he's opened the door for LA to be a top club for years to come by attracting top talent.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #868
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttotheusher View Post
In terms of actual playing form and the like, the trouble he's had is injuries. He's been there 6 years, and more than likely only player 3-4 of it. He's done well in recent seasons because he's had a younger, more energetic player beside him in Juninho to make the box-to-box runs, whilst he can sit back and dictate the play. His legs have seriously gone though.
Indeed. Bruce Arena discovered something playing him centrally. He's decent on the wing but the younger guys usually run all over him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
What are the chances of Becks joining Man United in January? It will be like a signing a new player with a experience. I guesses his salary will stop us from getting him.
Quote:
I don't think he is at the level United require - he isnt deserving of anything over 50k a week imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
Yeah he will have to lower his salary if he his to go back to Man U, but I think he could make difference. I don't see him being a regular starter, but he can still change the dynamic of a game with his crosses.

Beside if Man U bring him back, it will make sense at least in Business terms... All the positive PR, Shirt Sales etc... Media and Fans will be excited to see Becks don a Man U shirt even if its just for the remainder of this season.

Becks still has some life in him, so I don't see a reason why he shouldn't go back
I would take Beckham coming off the bench over Ryan Giggs right now.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #869
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I am not an LA Galaxy fan, but I am an MLS fan. I can say that Beckham has done a lot of good for MLS. Since his arrival in January 2007, MLS has expanded into Canada and the Pacific Northwest also including Philadelphia. New, smaller Soccer Specific Stadiums have opened up in Houston, Montreal, Philly, Kansas City (on the Kansas side of the city), Colorado, Utah and New Jersey since his arrival. Also his arrival brought on players like Thierry Henry and Robbie Keane.

The MLS still has issues (such as a lack of presence in the Deep South and stadium issues in San Jose, DC and New England and Chivas USA), but the league is in much better shape now than when he first arrived.

As for him being an MLS owner? He could end up buying the Galaxy a year from now. Or he might like it in New York so much (I think he ends up playing alongside Henry in New Jersey) that he becomes part of an ownership group that buys the revived NY Cosmos of the NASL and moves them up to MLS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttotheusher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
As a longtime LA Galaxy fan (back when Cobi Jones was still playing and Landon Donovan was in San Jose) it's a mixed bag. He certainly raised the level of awareness for the club and MLS around the world. I think it's safe to say the LA Galaxy are the most popular MLS club in the world. As for the on field product, be it because of injuries or otherwise it really did seem like those first couple of years he wasn't giving maximum effort. That could be due to getting use to the physical style of MLS or because he wasn't taking it seriously but you can't deny the contribution he's made in the last couple of seasons. MLS Cup, Supporters Shield. Only thing he didn't win at MLS is the US Open Cup. He will definitely be remembered favorably if only for the fact that he's opened the door for LA to be a top club for years to come by attracting top talent.
Cool, I didn't know everything about the structural changes that have occurred while he's been there. Was thinking it might turn out to be a failed move in the 1st couple of years so I'm glad he's turned it around to some extent with recent performances and also winning things. Well good luck to the club for the future & lets see where he ends up next. Damn, he's nearly 40 now..can't believe him, Giggs & Scholes are still playing!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #870
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
If thats the case then Beniztez will have it cut out for him as half the playing staff will already be against him - fun times
And the fans will cut him zero slack as well. With a big game against City at the weekend Torres had better put in a shift or the boo's will be ###king deafening for the pair for them, and for Roman too if he shows up.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #871
B
[insert witty comment]

The last thing Manchester United need is a 3rd over 35 year old midfielder that can no longer run.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #872
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Beckham still has something to offer teams but his definitetly in the twilight of his career now.

Like Henry he is a good sub to throw on every now and again.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #873
Van Petrol
Vacant

Quote:
Thing is managing Chelsea is easy money now, especially for a good manager with an established record: Pep can absolutely guarantee himself an expensive long term deal (minimum 4 year contract I'd bet) and know full well that if he did get sacked he'd likely leave with his reputation not harmed at all (Mourhinho, Ancellotti, and now RDM's CV's have not been harmed by Roman's stupidity) and get a huge pay-off to boot.

Hell, if I was a manager I'd love the idea of managing Chelsea. When things go tits up for a few games, I'd just wait for the knee jerk sacking and be laughing all the way to the bank with Roman's generous cheque held tightly in my fist.
When you put it like that, I can see the incentive. However, I think (and would like to think) that Pep wants to go somewhere where he will be given time to build something worthwhile outside of his Barca comfort zone so he can prove himself to the doubters. There's been rumblings that Pep's people have been sending out feelers regarding the Arsenal position.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #874
Van Petrol
Vacant

Quote:
And the fans will cut him zero slack as well. With a big game against City at the weekend Torres had better put in a shift or the boo's will be ###king deafening for the pair for them, and for Roman too if he shows up.
The sad thing here is that although you have an owner who plays the club as if he's playing a real life game of Football Manager, on the other hand if he were to pull out you wouldn't be in the best position financially would you? Or has that situation changed now?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #875
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
When you put it like that, I can see the incentive. However, I think (and would like to think) that Pep wants to go somewhere where he will be given time to build something worthwhile outside of his Barca comfort zone so he can prove himself to the doubters. There's been rumblings that Pep's people have been sending out feelers regarding the Arsenal position.
In terms of money to spend on players, Chelsea would be his better bet (at least until next season when that fair play stuff kicks in). In terms of running the club as he wants without fear of any dumb @ss knee jerk sacking at a run of bad games, or for not accommodating Roman's latest over-priced pet (and being allowed to not winning anything in a season, something Roman does not tolerate at all) then Arsenal would be the best bet.

All depends on how Pep views whatever he is offered. Take Romans' money and know he will be a lot wealthier no matter what happens (and would still find another good gig afterwards), or go right into a set-up that will let him do what he wants the way he wants?

Guess we will find out next summer.