View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #76
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - Part 9

Cheetah is better as a Priscilla Rich who has an inferiority complex and feels challenged by Wonder Woman. Have her be beautiful, but always thinking she needs to be skinnier, or more makeup, or bigger boobs, smarter, etc, always trying to assert her authority to hide her insecurities. In this way Cheetah becomes a symbol of problems that have risen with the modern woman, and how even the most beautiful women today have body image issues due to the media, peers, etc. Have her be played by a stunningly beautiful actress to add more emphasis to her role.

This opens the door for a lot of dynamics and interactions with Wonder Woman.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #77
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

victoria justice is like 5 years old. maybe in 10 years.

Last edited by C. Lee; 11-21-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #78
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Cheetah is better as a Priscilla Rich who has an inferiority complex and feels challenged by Wonder Woman. Have her be beautiful, but always thinking she needs to be skinnier, or more makeup, or bigger boobs, smarter, etc, always trying to assert her authority to hide her insecurities. In this way Cheetah becomes a symbol of problems that have risen with the modern woman, and how even the most beautiful women today have body image issues due to the media, peers, etc. Have her be played by a stunningly beautiful actress to add more emphasis to her role.

Not at all. It's kind of ridiculous and uninteresting in a super hero movie honestly, and if anything, it would better utilized with Vanessa Kapatelis or Helen Alexandros as Silver Swan as a side story/sub plot.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #79
batdude
Side-Kick

Victoria Justice was an idea if they wait a couple years. if they were doing it now, Serinda Swan or give Adrienne Palicki the real costume and a decent script.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #80
Powerman34
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdude View Post
Victoria Justice was an idea if they wait a couple years. if they were doing it now, Serinda Swan or give Adrienne Palicki the real costume and a decent script.
Exactly! Saw the pilot and Palicki was great with the crap script they came up with. She has range, has been in TV and Hollywood movies. Plenty of actors have been in crap shows in their past, but most people never even saw the scrapped pilot (just us who found it on the web). If they are doing the Amazon show (Wonder Woman Begins) then get Palicki in the gym this time and give her a better script and a better costume and there you go.
And btw, you can have a TV show about a comic book character AND a movie about said character at the same time (Smallville and Superman Returns) and not compromise the integrity of either one, for those who are worried about WB doing both.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #81
Deathstroke
Banned User

The premise of Amazon is stupid.

It's young Diana without the costume going through CW drama.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #82
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post

It also makes her a physical non threat and makes her entire focus about Wonder Woman. These characters are great as minor obstructions, but a true villain needs some sort of goal and purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Just noticed this; Glad to see some posters are actually viewing my stuff.
I probably would be adding in more names at some point; sadly though, with the power struggle going on at WB, I don't even know if any suggestions would be worth it anymore.
Some pretty great casting and it acknowledge the very real idea that half a dozen people could easily play these roles.

Quote:
The way I see Cheetah would be an amalgamation of Cheetah in the comics and cartoons. Have her start off as an Amazon with a rebellious streak and prone to psychotic, being bested in the tournament by Diana, praying to Ares, leading to Circe, gifting her with the anthropomorphic powers. Granted yes, it's not a strong MO(pride is hurt, wants revenge), but again, I see Cheetah as more of a "muscle" role of an adversary, not quite a main threat. Like I said earlier, when Diana goes to the Man's World, have Ares send Cheetah there to pose as the socialite Priscilla Rich; maybe even work with Veronica Cale.
Kinda making her the Scarecrow of a Wonder Woman film series. That's kinda cool... i don't like her having an amazon origin, but it could be interesting, I suppose.

Quote:
Entirely agreed.

I gotta disagree on the bold though; I agree an athletic build is easy to gain if the actress chosen has proven herself to be able to do i, which, sad to say, the majority of people's suggestions lack heavily(I'm looking at you MEW and Olivia Wilde supporters). Physically, that's an actress that the role needs; a woman who can believably hold her own onscreen in a physical role without it looking odd and unnatural. Current actresses who have accomplished this have been Jessica Biel(who I still support for WW), Angelina Jolie in her Tomb Raider days, Abbie Cornish(another I still support for WW), Ali Larter, and Hilary Swank.
And regarding face shape, again, I'm sorry to disagree here. It's not quite the face shape per se that people are referring to, but a face with strong features is simple a requirement, I'm sorry. A baby faced WW/Diana just won't work. No amount of exercise or diet can change the face while letting the body remain intact; especially in the time where plastic surgery and botox is so high in numbers on actresses.

I had to imdb Victoria Justice; this face does not even begin to emulate my feelings to that horrid, horrid suggestion.
I see what you're saying, there are some actresses that are to far away from that heroic image to make it work, even with workout and makeup. But that group is relatively small. There's a difference between MEW not choosing action roles in general (and what actress does?) and her not being able to look athletic, for instance. Victoria Justice is another good example of meeting the spoken criteria but there being some more important unspoken criteria that evokes a strong emotional response. Sometimes in this thread we sound like those good girls that only date bad boys!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #83
J'adore
Vous

After reading this article, I wouldn't mind seeing Barbara Minerva in the film.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #84
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Maybe have her thematic contrast with WW be her attitude towards the "mortal" world/Man's World. Diana views them as flawed people who deserve help, whereas the Cheetah views them as weak people who deserve to be abused and exploited. So, Diana moves amongst them to try and set an example, whereas Cheetah moves amongst them as a predator amongst prey, taking what she wants and doing what she wants.

This works even if the Cheetah was originally an ordinary mortal: when she ended up empowered, she took to it poorly and developed a god complex.
That works. She's a hunter, she's hunting. Simple and elegant and thematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Well, it's not usual that fans want people who's played similar roles. And not only them, but the studios as well.
If an actor have showed some skills in playing a particular type of character, it can be evidence that he (or she) can take on more of the same stuff. The result can be quite successful. Why should they cast a role "against character" just for the sake of it?
Roger Moore got to play Bond. Not saying Simon Templar or Brett Sinclair have the same physical strenght as 007, or that they are capable of saving the world in the same way. But the three characters share a few traits, more or less. And to some degree, Moore duplicated his performances from earlier successes in LALD and forward. hate it or love it, but it made money and gave us some entertaining films.

Then an actor's look alone can make him work for a character if he looks similar to how the character looks in comic books or earlier films. hair color, height, physical build, face shape all weights in on this. Why else were Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen fan favorites for Bond?
Because they're great actors with incredible charisma who also look vaguely like the character. Otherwise, Sam Worthington would've been a favorite too. And look who got the part, someone different, and fans complained, but the world loved it and fans then got on board. This is one area where studios sometimes know better than fans, thank goodness.

But my overall point is that Wonder Woman is not 'the same stuff' as Deja Thoris. They have some superficial similarities, but that's it. With Roger Moore's characters they had the same basic appeal, but Wonder Woman has never been successful as a warrior princess, that's the role she takes for supporting cast roles... which is exactly what Deja Thoris is, isn't? Supporting cast. Regan's LOTS role... Daddario's Percy Jackson role. Supporting cast, just like every other warrior princess character in film history.

So that's why I feel a great swell of pity for someone who looks at these minor stock greek warrior princess roles and says 'That is Wonder Woman!' Really? A person who's identity and purpose is entirely a function of their people and their love interest, with no charisma and no down to earth struggle? That's Diana to you?

What's worse is a lot of people feel that way, including many who have written her over the years. And that's part of the reason that WW hasn't had a movie yet. Filmmakers know that a Deja Thoris movie would never sell. You need a different type of character, maybe with the same background, but a different type of character overall than the Warrior Princess that has always and continually been used as supporting cast in the history of film.

Quote:
She didn't look like a modern live action version of WW to you? How strange! To me, her left hand was more WW than the chick in failed TV pilot could have been in her dreams.
This goes back to the pinup issue. Just because someone looks like Wonder Woman doesn't make them the character. Lynn Collins didn't capture any of Diana's essence, just her image. That's not enough to draw in people who don't already like the character.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #85
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'adore View Post
After reading this article, I wouldn't mind seeing Barbara Minerva in the film.
Yeah a really bad ass Cheetah would be awesome in the movie.

:o
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #86
Joker's Lackey
Side-Kick

Wonder Woman
Gods and Mortals

_ The story would be an adaption of Gods and Mortals by George Perez. The only thing I wouldn't include is how the Amazon's where created and just start at Hercules invading the island.

I would cast one of these three as Wondy.
Bérénice Marlohe

Gemma Arterton

Jaimie Alexander

Lynn Collins or Lena Hedley for Hippolyta.
Stephan Lang as Ares
Manu Bennett as Hercules
Eva Green as Athena
Josh Holloway - Steve Trevor
Gugu Mbatha-Raw - Etta Candy
Hellen Mirren - Prof. Kapatelis
Jessica Chastin - Vanessa Kapatelis
Rooney Mara - Artemis
Joel Edgerton - Deimos
Gretchen Mol - Harmonia
Christopher Lee - Zeus

Alfonso Cuaron as Director
Harry Gregson Williams as Composer
Cuaron and Perez as Writers

Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #87
Zionite1
Side-Kick

My top 2 contenders are

Hayley atwell

Katie McGrath

Last edited by Zionite1; 11-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #88
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Lucy Lawless for WW and Kurt Russel for Steve Trevor.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #89
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

15 years ago.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #90
J'adore
Vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker's Lackey View Post
Wonder Woman
Gods and Mortals

_ The story would be an adaption of Gods and Mortals by George Perez. The only thing I wouldn't include is how the Amazon's where created and just start at Hercules invading the island.

I would cast one of these three as Wondy.
Bérénice Marlohe

Gemma Arterton

Jaimie Alexander

Lena Hedley for Hippolyta.
Stephan Lang as Ares
Manu Bennett as Hercules
Eva Green as Athena
Josh Holloway - Steve Trevor
Gugu Mbatha-Raw - Etta Candy
Hellen Mirren - Prof. Kapatelis
Jessica Chastin - Vanessa Kapatelis
Rooney Mara - Artemis
Joel Edgerton - Deimos
Gretchen Mol - Harmonia
Christopher Lee - Zeus

Alfonso Cuaron as Director
Harry Gregson Williams as Composer
Cuaron and Perez as Writers
Pretty much agree with everything you said apart from the Rooney Mara bit! Kate Mara, however, could work as Artemis.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #91
J'adore
Vous

Well this was pretty awful. Lets hope they go with something less male-reliant next time round.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #92
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

So she was going to be thick as pig's **** and Steve was going to be her teacher? Cliche, and SO not Wonder Woman.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #93
Deathstroke
Banned User

No surprises there. That's how Hollywood is going to handle Wonder Woman.

But I doubt the general audience will care. They will likely buy into it and support it. Whatever sells.

The studio has no faith in Wonder Woman the way fans want her to be, so they'll adapt her.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #94
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'adore View Post
Well this was pretty awful. Lets hope they go with something less male-reliant next time round.
Doesn't sound awful to me. Sounds a lot more empowered than Deja Thoris, that's for sure. It's a nice way to give her an arc without making the character look bad at all.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #95
Zionite1
Side-Kick

To plot a Wonderwoman movie isnt hard once you understand her.

Many writers have forgotten what kind of hero WW was created to be.
For example Batman was created to be a dark vigilante hero.Thor was created to be a cosmic hero etc.What kind of hero was WW created to be?

If you study the original stories youll realise she was not created to be a mythical fantasy hero which modern writers seem to think.
Rather shes was created to be a War/Spy hero kinda like Captain America-with a few cosmic hero elements.

WW ceasing to be a War/Spy hero is the reason for her decline.Imagine if Captain America ceased to be a war/spy hero-how his comics wld suck?thats what has happened to WW.
Cap America is a War/Spy hero with Scifi elements.WW shld be a War/Spy hero with Cosmic fantasy elements. The Cosmic Fantasy elements should be a nice blend of Space scifi and Spiritual Magic just like in the earlier comics.

In a sense She is a perfect fusion of Cap America and Thor.

I am eagerly waiting Wonderwoman earth one as I think Morrison is going to return her to her roots

Last edited by Zionite1; 11-22-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #96
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

That's a darned good point Zionite. Her early stories were all about sneaking into places and disguises and getting fake captured and stuff.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #97
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That's a darned good point Zionite. Her early stories were all about sneaking into places and disguises and getting fake captured and stuff.
Exactly she had Spy adventures fighting Nazis.She also had war adventures with her fighting Nazis.If we were to modernise her war adventures wed probably have a Middle Eastern terrorist organisation to replace the Nazis though.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #98
Deathstroke
Banned User

It's not that they've forgotten who Wonder Woman is. It's that the studio wants to make money off this picture and have to tweak the character in a way that they think will accomplish that task.

When it comes down to it, WW's biggest challenge is the studio's lack of faith in a female superhero, and lack of understanding about how to present her.

I definitely understand why Steve Trevor would have to be a hero type. It seems logical to the studio that little boys won't be playing with Wonder Woman action figures. It's a challenging character to market.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #99
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
It's not that they've forgotten who Wonder Woman is. It's that the studio wants to make money off this picture and have to tweak the character in a way that they think will accomplish that task.

When it comes down to it, WW's biggest challenge is the studio's lack of faith in a female superhero, and lack of understanding about how to present her.

I definitely understand why Steve Trevor would have to be a hero type. It seems logical to the studio that little boys won't be playing with Wonder Woman action figures. It's a challenging character to market.
Hmm I partially understand their worry on having a female Superhero.Partially.

To help with the odds Id probably heavily market the fact she has a badass MALE sidekick-Steve Trevor- in the trailers.That shld help with the Dont-wanna-see-chick-hero part of the audience.

Id market it the same way youd market a Batman and Robin movie with WW being "Batman",Steve being "Robin".The movie itself will focus more on Diana though.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #100
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post

Many writers have forgotten what kind of hero WW was created to be.
For example Batman was created to be a dark vigilante hero.Thor was created to be a cosmic hero etc.What kind of hero was WW created to be?

If you study the original stories youll realise she was not created to be a mythical fantasy hero which modern writers seem to think.
Rather shes was created to be a War/Spy hero kinda like Captain America-with a few cosmic hero elements.
I think you're imaging some of that.

By the time WW came about, the war was mostly over. How many of her early Marston adventures even dealt with mass war or Nazis?

By my memory, her adventures were cosmic/sci-fi with her running into some weird woman hating group. She just bust in there and started busting skulls.

The mythological stuff took over cause people could be lazy and stop inventing villains for her. Everyone knows who Ares is and why he's a bad guy. Cheetah, Doctor Psycho,... not so much.