The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #526
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Default Re: The Official Vertigo Thread

Physics going horribly wrong and the boring government jobs that fix it. Collider, the new ongoing by Simon Oliver and Robbi Rodriguez is coming this fall.

I liked Exterminators so I'll be checking this out.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #527
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

The A-Team with quantum physics?

That's at least worth a try.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #528
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

Just finished the first 17 issues of Sweet Tooth. Damn, I regret not getting into this sooner. Not a huge fan of the art, but the story more than makes up for that.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #529
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Been picking up Sweet Tooth since the beginning and I've been loving it ever since. I hope Lemire has more non-capes work after this is all finished up.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #530
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

The only thing I'm not too crazy about with it is the pacing. I think it's a bit too decompressed.

I still buy it religiously though, of course.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #531
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

It did feel like it could drag at times. Especially when they were at the camp or dam.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #532
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

A Vertigo title I'm glad I finally got around to reading is The Unwritten. I'm on issue 22. Though while I'm enjoying it there is a bit of annoyance in that I still don't grasp what is completely going on. There is plenty I do but if someone was to ask me what the book is about...I'd draw a blank.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #533
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

It seems pretty straightforward to me. I don't know all of the details because I skipped a few issues, but the premise is pretty clear.

It really is an awesome book. Even better than Sweet Tooth, IMO. It's Harry Potter meets Inception with actual creative and original thought and not just a blatant LOTR and D&D ripoff like the real Harry Potter is.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #534
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

I wish I never dropped Unwritten.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #535
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

I'm surprised you would. This book is on crack sometimes to where I'd think this would be your haven.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #536
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Come to think of it me too. Me being a literature geek on top of being a comic geek, being a big fan of Lucifer, and I do love me some metaness. I have no idea why the hell I dropped this. Looks like it's time to do some trade shopping.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #537
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

The Unwritten is on my shortlist of what to read next. But I want to tackle Robinson's Starman first. Just need to find the reading order for the 2 annuals, the 80 page special, and the Hellboy crossovers.

Also, Sweet Tooth now on radar of trades to get.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #538
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

So the stuff in Fairest #7 is stuff completely newly added to the Beauty mythos?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #539
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Hey guys,

any recommendations for Fables. I started to first trade when it first came out, way back when, but didn't finished it. Now I am contemplating to give Fables another shot, since the Hellblazer cancellation made me sad but Vertigo hungry again. Could you tell me if its worth a second look?

I really loved Sandman, Hellblazer and Lucifer from Vertigo. Is Fables in the same vein? Has it some darker, horror like elements, like Sandman did?

The Deluxe Hardcovers are already on my amazon wishlist, so... hit me back.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #540
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

I like Fables. I'd suggest reading the first 2 deluxe books to get an idea of the story and see if you like how it flows. I only have the first 1 right now, but plan on getting the rest eventually myself.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #541
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

The first Fables trade is hit and miss with a lot of people. I would highly suggest getting through that first trade because the next four or five are absolutely amazing.

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #542
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

It's interesting, I've heard a lot of people say Fables is worth sticking with beyond the first volume, but after reading that first graphic novel I just wasn't interested in reading what happens next.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #543
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

The first one got my interest, but man... did it ever kick over the next 3 or 4 trades... enough to make me pick them all up...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #544
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

See ya later Karen...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #545
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Daytripper Deluxe Edition HC - the cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Bá
We couldn't be happier with Daytripper. It became everything we believe comics can be and it has been reaching people all over the world. We really enjoyed its run as a mini-series, but the collected edition is the one really going the distance. We love this book.

It took us long nine months to get the first cover of Daytripper right, making a lot of sketches, having to lots of different approaches, but in the end we couldn't have done a better job. The cover for the first issue had to portray a little of the whole series as it could be used as the cover for the trade. Well, it did happen and it has become the "face" of the book all over the world.

Except for the American edition, in every country it has been published, it got a harcover treatment. The same book, nothing different inside. Well, if we would have the american hardcover edition, it should be special, since this is such a special book.

And it will be.

It was very hard coming up with a new cover for the new edition, because I really love the old one. So the new one had to be special, to tell more than the first one, to embody the whole story. Four years have passed since I've done the first cover and this book became something larger, so the cover would have to step up too.

With the release date of April 2014, the Daytripper Deluxe Edition HC will have a dust-jacket wraparound cover, three piece case, better stock matte paper and 16 extra pages sketchbook section. Go to your local comic store and make sure you order it.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #546
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

I already planned on buying this book again. But it's nice to see what they're adding to it.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #547
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I have all the singles, never bought the trade. Pretty tempted to pick this up, very special series.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #548
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Also, since this got bumped, is anyone reading any of the newer Vertigo series out right now? I was out of the loop for quite awhile, so I'm wondering if there's any good stuff I'm missing. I plan to get The Wake and Trillium in trade.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #549
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

I've not finished reading the Wake yet. Need to read that last issue. But the art alone is worth it. But I'm a sucker for Sean Murphy. I really don't have much else I can suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I have all the singles, never bought the trade. Pretty tempted to pick this up, very special series.
I've been saying they needed to put this out in a hardcover since I read it when it came out. It should have never taken 4 years. Well, if anything, at least my friend will get a copy out of this when I buy this HC. I've been wanting this for years.

And since said friend owes me some money for an illustration, he can get it for me.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #550
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Vertigo's: FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics

OLIVER MAKES WEIRD SCIENCE IN "FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY RENAUD
It's been nearly a decade since Simon Oliver launched "The Exterminators" for Vertigo Comics. And like the insect-infected world featured in his debut hit, illustrated and co-created by Tony Moore of "The Walking Dead" fame, the one he's building with artist Robbi Rodriquez in "FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics" is heading towards a mass extermination. Except in his latest creator-owned series for Vertigo, a far more powerful menace lurks in the shadows -- and that menace is physics.

"FBP" follows a team of investigators working for the Federal Bureau of Physics as the physical world begins to unravel thanks to quantum tornadoes, bubbleverses and a new brand of science that would have left the Beastie Boys needing to expand their horizons and parameters far beyond what they previously believed possible.

In seven issues to date, Oliver and Rodriguez have delivered a mystery literally spiraling out of control and one that is based, at least in part, on real science. Not bad for a kid that used to get reports card stating: "He does okay but he could do better."

With the series going on a one-month hiatus to coincide with the release of its first collected edition on February 19, CBR News connected with Oliver to discuss the real-life scenario that appears to mirror the events of "FBP," why knowing what wormholes and time dilation is may make the series even more enjoyable and how long the writer believes the series will run.
VERTIGO'S "COLLIDER" NOW TITLED "FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS"

Tuesday, February 26, 2013:
Word Balloon Podcast James Robinson On The New Batman Of Earth-2, Dan Jurgens Remebers The Death Of Superman, and Creator Owned Tips From Robbi Rodgriguez and Ryan Browne
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Siuntres
Then 2 creators give self publishuing tips. First, Robbi Rodgriguez talks about his Acid Western Frankie Get Your Gun, and the new ep soundtrack for the comic that's out today. He also previews his new Vertigo series Colider written by Simon Oliver.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote