The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #876
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Default Re: 2012 NCAA Football: The Mountain West Conference Strikes Back

I'm pulling for Notre Dame to win it all. My second favorite team behind Penn State.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #877
Cory
Reek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I'm pulling for Notre Dame to win it all. My second favorite team behind Penn State.
Brian Kelly. Nuff Said.

Dude is going to bring ND back to the glory days.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #878
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Can't lie, it's nice having Notre Dame back. It was fun watching them suck for so long, but it's good to have the Irish back and doing it with defense.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #879
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Its official Maryland and Rutgers have joined the Big Ten conference, they start play in 2014, joining the legends division with Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Purdue, sad day, these teams just do not fit.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #880
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Some writer on Grantland covered this pretty succinctly. The columns there are VERY hit or miss, and every writer seems to speak with the same voice, but that article nails the recruiting problems the Big Ten faces, including a damning and appropriate quote from Urban Meyer about not having vertical threats.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ryland-rutgers

Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #881
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
Some writer on Grantland covered this pretty succinctly. The columns there are VERY hit or miss, and every writer seems to speak with the same voice, but that article nails the recruiting problems the Big Ten faces, including a damning and appropriate quote from Urban Meyer about not having vertical threats.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ryland-rutgers
It comes down to one thing, money, its been topic number 2 here in Columbus as its Michigan week, but no one here likes this move, its basically the Big Ten wants the Washington and New York Markets for the Big Ten Network, wanting more money from that, basically they are ready to renegotioate with say Dish network saying we now have these huge markets we want more money per subscriber.
Plus, the Big Ten wants a Ohio State/Michigan game twice a year, its assumed the class of this conference in those 2 teams, so basically its a huge draw, they will end the year facing each other and most likely both will win their divisions, and face other a week later in the Big Ten championship game.
Maryland and Rutgers add nothing to the conference, they are not regional rivals like a West Virginia, Pitt or Notre Dame would be, and both schools have no history in having successful programs, its all money and nothing else.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #882
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Worst thing ever, Maryland & Rutgers possibly joining the Big Ten, we dont need more Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern level bad teams, plus they dont fit, still feel like West Virginia, Pitt, Notre Dame (pipe dream), Cincinnati or Missouri would be much better fits than Maryland and Rutgers.
Maryland would make the conference better in basketball, but i dont see other than big market shares the need for either school, i am not opposed to expansion, just these are the wrong schools to expand with, Nebraska was a perfect fit, those two are not, IMO.
uhh you basically just added the NYC and Washington DC markets to your conference. It doesnt matter that the teams in those markets aren't good, you can expand your conference footprint in a huge way which means big bucks for the TV Network,

Besides you werent getting West Virginia, who just joined the Big 12, and Notre Dame, who doesnt need conference. Pitt is already in the B1G footprint and I believe is committed elsewhere for hoops at least. and Missouri just just joined a much better conference. None of those schools were options.

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 11-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #883
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Any chance USC had of knocking off Notre Dame is gone. Barkley is out... unless this Redshirt freshmen becomes famous over night with a historical performance...no chance in hell.

Thats fine... I wont mind a UGA/ND National title game
That freshman (Max Wittek) has got an arm. I suspect the USC coaches are going to let him go vertical and throw the ball. The question is, will he have enough time to throw a good pass.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #884
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Of course it's all about the money, but when is it going to be about winning and having a respectable conference? When are the fans going to go away? The Big Ten is a cash cow but it's a horrible conference.

The funny thing about this whole thing is that Notre Dame is basically being phased into the ACC.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #885
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
uhh you basically just added the NYC and Washington DC markets to your conference. It doesnt matter that the teams in those markets aren't good, you can expand your conference footprint in a huge way which means big bucks for the TV Network,

Besides you werent getting West Virginia, who just joined the Big 12, and Notre Dame, who doesnt need conference. Pitt is already in the B1G footprint and I believe is committed elsewhere for hoops at least. and Missouri just just joined a much better conference. None of those schools were options.
True, we did get those markets, but, as some have said, Rutgers has no real following in the New York market, Maryland brings the Washington market, but again they have no real following, as football programs, they dont make the big ten better, as of now, Maryland becomes the worst team in a bad big ten, the only real powers in the conference are Michigan and Ohio State, both would not fair well against SEC or Pac 12 teams.
For me, i want a competative conference, I know the schools I mentioned would not join, Notre Dame thinks their to good to join a conference and the others are committed to others, my point was they were better fits for a midwest conference, would make better rivals and improve the over all competativness of the conference.
Right now, the conference as basically 4 "powers" Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Wisconsin, followed by Purdue, Michigan State, Penn State, Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern, and Indiana & Minnesota bringing up the rear.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #886
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Quote:
Of course it's all about the money, but when is it going to be about winning and having a respectable conference? When are the fans going to go away? The Big Ten is a cash cow but it's a horrible conference.

The funny thing about this whole thing is that Notre Dame is basically being phased into the ACC.
I agree, being a Big Ten conference fan, I want a respectable conference. Do I want or expect a SEC of the Midwest, no, but i am tired of Minnesota, Indiana and other teams in this conference getting money for not winning, they should be held by their fans to a higher standard, i can not imagine Minnesota fans going to games hoping for an 0-8 season and think thats acceptable, but why change, its always been the big 2 and little 8, as long as Indiana and Minnesota get money to build stadiums and facilities and not earn it, like Ohio State and Michigan, this conference will never be better.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #887
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think it's the opposite. There are too many good teams in the Big Ten and they just beat each other up (and out of the BCS situation). The Big Ten has had an at large BCS bowl bid in the past seven seasons and Ohio State was the 2003 BCS champion. In fact, Ohio State would arguably be the number one team in the country today if they didn't have sanctions.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #888
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I think it's the opposite. There are too many good teams in the Big Ten and they just beat each other up (and out of the BCS situation). The Big Ten has had an at large BCS bowl bid in the past seven seasons and Ohio State was the 2003 BCS champion. In fact, Ohio State would arguably be the number one team in the country today if they didn't have sanctions.
Or Ohio State is the only decent team in the conference. Without their presence, man, the Big Ten is looking really bad. I don't buy that they're knocking each other out of the BCS title game, especially when the Big Ten didn't even add a conference championship game until last season. It was actually a much easier road than elsewhere. Look at their bowl record over the past decade, look at the record against ranked noncon opponents, consider that there have only been two national titles for the Big Ten since 1968, and one of those was Michigan who probably would have been flattened by Nebraska that year. The Big Ten is facing demographic problems, and Urban Meyer recognizes that and Ohio State will be better for it.

Quote:
I agree, being a Big Ten conference fan, I want a respectable conference. Do I want or expect a SEC of the Midwest, no, but i am tired of Minnesota, Indiana and other teams in this conference getting money for not winning, they should be held by their fans to a higher standard, i can not imagine Minnesota fans going to games hoping for an 0-8 season and think thats acceptable, but why change, its always been the big 2 and little 8, as long as Indiana and Minnesota get money to build stadiums and facilities and not earn it, like Ohio State and Michigan, this conference will never be better.
The Big Ten made more money than the SEC last year thanks to the Big Ten Network. I don't know where the money goes at the Indianas and Minnesotas of the world. Do the alumni and the fans at those schools care as much about football as they do at, say, Ole Miss and Arkansas? Those are middle rung schools in the SEC and they're willing to pay coaches $3 mil per year, and do $100 mil renovations on their stadiums.

I know the fans care at the Michigans and Ohio States, but does the enthusiasm end there? There's a reason the south produces more and better talent. Part of it is population shift but there's also an enthusiasm gap between the regions.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #889
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Just to reiterate a point I made earlier, Notre Dame has to add five ACC opponents to its football schedule every year in order to play basketball there, and here we are talking about the Big Ten absorbing two ACC teams.

I mean, it was kind of a given that ND was going to be phased into a full-time ACC football member. It says a lot that ND has to surrender nearly half its football schedule for basketball purposes, but now we have the resurgence of their program under Brian Kelly which could slow down the ACC integration.

I guess my point here is why didn't the Big Ten just take on ND's basketball program in exchange for the five games ND already plays against Big Ten teams, knowing the ND would be a full member within a decade?

Last edited by Sakuraba; 11-21-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #890
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
True, we did get those markets, but, as some have said, Rutgers has no real following in the New York market, Maryland brings the Washington market, but again they have no real following, as football programs, they dont make the big ten better, as of now, Maryland becomes the worst team in a bad big ten, the only real powers in the conference are Michigan and Ohio State, both would not fair well against SEC or Pac 12 teams.
I'm calling shenanigans on that comment. Rutgers has gained a pretty steady following the past 10-15 years. This isn't your grandfather's Rutgers program anymore. I grew up in their backyard and am amazed when I go back and see the transformation that's taken place there. It's an up an coming program that's markedly improved from where it used to be, and they're in line this season for a BCS bid provided they win their remaining games. I'd wager that outside of OSU, Rutgers would likely beat any of the other B1G teams. (also I'm a huge Michigan fan and lol'd when you refereed to us as a "power")

Not to mention, the football program is 140+ years old at Rutgers as they played in the first college football game EVER in 1869, so for all the B1G people who love their "tradition" it doesn't get any more "traditional" than that.

As for the B1G being a "midwestern" conference, so what? You've had a team in Pennsylvania in the conference for how many years? And PA hasnt at any time ever been confused for being part of the Midwest.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #891
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

So now whose looking to replace Maryland in the ACC?

Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #892
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Watching the Big Ten network and they have been debating all this, and are split on whether this was good or not for the Big Ten, but they all agreed, the Big Ten will add 2 more teams, most likely from the Southeast, in my mind and listening to local sports talk, programs that might fit, Tennessee & Kentucky, both not doing well in the SEC, both would make a big splash in the Big Ten, Tennessee's football program while down now, does have a tradition of winning, and Kentucky makes the basketball conference even stronger, maybe the Big Ten goes with other teams, but that is a couple programs mentioned as good fits.
For me, still, getting a West Virginia, Pitt or lure a Missouri (Missouri really wanted to be in the Big Ten) or Texas to join would be good fits and make good rivals for Penn State (Pitt & West Virginia) and Nebraska (Missouri).

Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #893
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

That's kind of shooting for the stars.

If they could pull off Texas and Oklahoma by extension, that'd be huge, but the obstacle there is the Longhorn Network. Texas has carte blanche in the Big XII. The only thing that kept the Pac-16 from being a reality.

Tennessee, there's no way they're leaving the SEC. The campus would riot. I don't think it would be a bad idea for them per se, but the fans there wouldn't want it.

They dropped the ball on Pitt and WVU, and they need to reconcile it. Also, there's Notre Dame being phased into the ACC. Why is the Big Ten letting that happen?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #894
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Thanks to Notre Dame for preventing an All SEC National Championship for the second year in a row.

Having said that, the SEC will win it's seventh consecutive national championship.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #895
Cory
Reek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Thanks to Notre Dame for preventing an All SEC National Championship for the second year in a row.

Having said that, the SEC will win it's seventh consecutive national championship.
it would have been crazy for a UGA FLA championship...

UGA or Bama will beat Notre Dame pretty easily.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #896
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

I certainly hope USC fire Lane Kiffin....the program has regress under his lack of leadership.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #897
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Auburn has fired Gene Chizik. The third SEC coach to go..Smith of Arkansas is next.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #898
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

It's going to be interesting. There's a lot of jobs opening up that pay big money. Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, and then maybe GaTech and USC. What if Chip Kelly makes that jump to the NFL like everybody thinks he'll eventually do? There's only so many proven, up and coming, or NFL types to go around.

One name that isn't getting tossed around enough is Mack Brown. The man is sitting on the biggest gold mine in college football and he's sucked for three years now, and despite all the ten-win seasons, he's underperformed at Texas. He's better off at a mid-level program like UNC where his recruiting acumen carry the day, but it's time for him to retire and go out gracefully.

And what about Jeff Tedford? Is he gonna get the Ken Hatfield at Rice treatment where he can suck forever without getting fired? You have to feel a little for the guy. He rebuilt Cal and his name was being tossed around for every major opening at one time. Now Cal has been mediocre to terrible for years now. He's got to get fired this year.

If Paul Johnson does get fired at GT, I really hope he lands back at one of the service academies. I adored his Navy teams and his offense is fun to watch.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #899
Cory
Reek

Tech won't fire Paul Johnson.... they don't give a crap about football. lol

Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #900
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Tech can't afford to fire Johnson. lol