The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 11-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #151
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Default Re: Do you think WB is looking to take Batman in a different direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Batman: The Phantasm Menace
Batman: Attack Of The League Of Assasins
Batman: Revenge Of The Joker
Batman: A New Robin
Batman: The Penguin Strikes Back
Batman: Return Of The Joker
LOL

"Knights of the Older Gotham"? "Shadows of the Blackgate"?

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #152
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Awesome

Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #153
SentinelMind
Banned User

ManBat? Croc? Not really feeling those villains. I don't want fantasy just for sake of fantasy. I think those type of villains aren't that popular for a reason. I'm not really even sure about Clayface...I suppose I wouldn't mind Mr. Freeze.

However, I'd still like to see The Penguin, Riddler revisited and introduce Mad Hatter, the Ventriloquist, Deadshot, or Hugo Strange.

Focus more on the psychological mindset of the villains (similar to what Nolan did with the Joker) while creating a film noirish gothic Gotham City backdrop. Use more creative license to dwell into Bruce's and villain's psyche (create nightmare scenarios as opposed to introducing magic into Gotham)

SentinelMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #154
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
ManBat? Croc? Not really feeling those villains. I don't want fantasy just for sake of fantasy. I think those type of villains aren't that popular for a reason. I'm not really even sure about Clayface...I suppose I wouldn't mind Mr. Freeze.

However, I'd still like to see The Penguin, Riddler revisited and introduce Mad Hatter, the Ventriloquist, Deadshot, or Hugo Strange.

Focus more on the psychological mindset of the villains (similar to what Nolan did with the Joker) while creating a film noirish gothic Gotham City backdrop. Use more creative license to dwell into Bruce's and villain's psyche (create nightmare scenarios as opposed to introducing magic into Gotham)
I agree. ManBat, Killer Croc, Clayface never appealed to me for a Batman villain. That kind of fantasy belongs more to the Spider-Man universe. You know, transformations into various animals or what not. Which is why i prefer the recent Croc versions or the original Clayface from the early 40's.

The goofier/obscure villains never did it for me either, like Mad Hatter & Ventriloquist. Even though you can make them really creepy. Hatter could be a kidnapper/pedophile in a movie (it would never pass though) or Ventriloquist can have his Dissociative Identity Disorder. Scarface could come off silly or creepy in that doll/mannequin horror kind of way.

Deadshot works in any universe but he's very cliche. Not original at all and quite frankly boring. He's also just as much of a Suicide Squad or Green Arrow villain now than he is a Batman villain, so i wouldnt use him.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #155
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Which is exactly why they need to bring more supernatural to the table. It's much more interesting seeing this guy with no powers but his intellect and gadgets take on these guys with powers more or less rivaling other superheroes.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #156
Edguy
Banned User

I just hope that if they introduce fantastic enemies like CC or Clayface, then thay are actually fantastic to the inhabitants of the movie world as well. Not like Peter Parker in TASP where he's all "oh, there's four meter long lizard man on that bridge, I better try to stop him before he hurts someone."

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #157
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

I would say WB would want to take batman in a different direction if tdk and tdkr took in the money begins made. But they made a boatload more and its clear there is audience interest on this take of the character. I'm not so sure WB wants to change up a formula thats worked for three films to great success.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #158
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
I would say WB would want to take batman in a different direction if tdk and tdkr took in the money begins made. But they made a boatload more and its clear there is audience interest on this take of the character. I'm not so sure WB wants to change up a formula thats worked for three films to great success.
Precisely. It'll take quite a director to give the WB execs any confidence that a lighter Batman would be appreciated as much. Don't look for any fantastic elements in his own series.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #159
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

i really want to see villains like Clayface, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, etc.

these beasts would be a true test of Batman's skills and it can be done right in a real world type setting. just look at the Spiderman & X-Men films.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #160
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Which is exactly why they need to bring more supernatural to the table. It's much more interesting seeing this guy with no powers but his intellect and gadgets take on these guys with powers more or less rivaling other superheroes.
I can see the contrast there, but I in no way believe that it's "much more interesting". Not saying that you believe this, but here's some examples.

When Man-Bat's entire character arc and transformation was created as a Dr. Curt Conners/Lizard rip-off. Which we've seen this past summer on film. How is that more interesting?

Or the concept & appearance of Killer Croc was another way to rip-off The Lizard. We would be getting a dumbed-down thug version of the character we just saw in The Amazing Spider-Man. Again, i ask..how is that more interesting?

Yes i know Clayface came before Sandman, but there would be too many similarities in terms of CG effects, etc. Yeah im talking about Spider-Man 3. Of course a reinterpretation of Clayface can truly be horrific and different AND something i might get behind. But with a name like "Clayface" i doubt the studio or the general audience would get behind that or buy into it.

If you mean someone like Mr. Freeze then sure i agree with that statement. It could be fantastic. But that's just 1 villain. Most of the other supernatural Bat-Rogues just wouldn't be incredibly interesting on the big screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
i really want to see villains like Clayface, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, etc.

these beasts would be a true test of Batman's skills and it can be done right in a real world type setting. just look at the Spiderman & X-Men films.
What works for Spider-Man and X-Men may not necessarily work for Batman. Batman has a darker edge and most of its villains are grounded. Sure you can mix them with those "beasts" but then it will automatically bring a lighter element to the franchise. No matter how dark you make the future films, including the likes of a giant Crocodile man with no brains or a gigantic monster who is made out of clay or a giant Bat flying at the screen who then speaks normally............it's gonna come off slightly goofy. To an extent it brings things back to the Tim Burton: Batman Returns way of doing things. I'm not so sure WB would be up for that since Nolans style has brought Batman such critical and commercial acclaim. More than ever before.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #161
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I disagree that it needs to be goofy. We've seen plenty of movie monsters that are inhuman without a hint of goofiness. Perhaps they won't be speaking like cartoon characters, but there are a half dozen ways to do Croc/Man-Bat and Clayface that aren't even remotely goofy.

And seeing a normal human battle things that Spidey and X-Men have to use their powers on is definitely more interesting, just like seeing Batman exploit various weaknesses on the JLA is more interesting.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #162
terry78

If they wanna baby step it, I say give us Mr. Freeze as the first new villain for the next one. Believable yet still sci-fi-ish.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #163
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I disagree that it needs to be goofy. We've seen plenty of movie monsters that are inhuman without a hint of goofiness. Perhaps they won't be speaking like cartoon characters, but there are a half dozen ways to do Croc/Man-Bat and Clayface that aren't even remotely goofy.

And seeing a normal human battle things that Spidey and X-Men have to use their powers on is definitely more interesting, just like seeing Batman exploit various weaknesses on the JLA is more interesting.
I don't really see it that way, but then again..that stuff is just not my cup of tea when it comes to Batman. I still stand by the "lack of originality" villains like Croc & Man-Bat present. I have never found them even remotely interesting within the Bat mythos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
If they wanna baby step it, I say give us Mr. Freeze as the first new villain for the next one. Believable yet still sci-fi-ish.
WB are probably still shakey about Freeze and Ivy at this point. Id give it a few films. If this JGL for Batman rumor is true, it might take even longer.

I myself wouldnt do it in the next film. Another winter Gotham movie with a big bald villain? With an arc where the villain becomes who he is because of a tragic situation with his wife/girlfriend & himself?? Coming off the last 2 Dark Knight movies, it could be repetitive.

Chances are the studio and filmmakers will want to do something different from The Dark Knight Rises by having a reinterpretation of Riddler or Penguin. Maybe even Hugo Strange or Black Mask. The two former names are more likely for marketing purposes. They'll need it with Nolan and Bale not there to sell it. Batman sells itself but it's going to take a couple of movies for the execs to trust a new directors vision.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #164
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I don't really see it that way, but then again..that stuff is just not my cup of tea when it comes to Batman. I still stand by the "lack of originality" villains like Croc & Man-Bat present. I have never found them even remotely interesting within the Bat mythos.
I think physical sometimes cartoony villains, like Bane and Croc are important, and there's a reason they keep coming around. Bane is proof positive that they can work and be interesting. Perhaps you might need to let Croc or Man Bat rest a while because of TASM, and that's fine too.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #165
UmbilicalNoose
Banned User

I mostly want to see Mr Freeze, The Riddler, Penguin, Hugo Strange, and Clayface

UmbilicalNoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #166
metaphysician
Side-Kick

IMO, Killer Croc doesn't have the chops to be a main villain, so you shouldn't bother. However, a version that is less "mutant sewer monster" and more "freak with a skin condition" would work great as the scary muscle for some other cerebral villain. Play up the idea that, because everyone has always looked at him as some kind of monster, he decided he might as well be one. . . and so is far more ruthless and merciless than your typical mob muscle. Combine that with the physique of a six foot six wrestler on steroids, and the street fighting skills of someone whose had to maim and kill since he was a kid, and you have a suitable midboss for Batman.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #167
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yup, the only way id enjoy that character is if it was done that way. Barely the supporting villain. A henchman for Black Mask or Penguin or some big time mob boss. But the traditional Croc? No way.

I'm also thinking that we won't get Doctor/Professor Hugo Strange for a decade or two. It's gonna be a while if Marvel Studios are indeed moving forward with a "Dr. Strange" movie in a few years time.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #168
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I'm kinda interested to know why a less grounded in reality and more fantasy version of Batman immediately means we're going to get a lighter Batman. You can still have a Batman movie as dark as the Nolan films and make the franchise less grounded in reality.

I personally hope they keep the dark and serious tone of the Nolan films. It's what works the best for Batman IMO.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #169
shauner111
Side-Kick

Lighter is not the word because you can make it really dark. Look at Burtons movies. But more fantasy can easily mean an amount of goofiness gets brought back into the film franchise (more or less when they're doing monsters).

There's no doubt in my mind that a sci-fi/fantasy story with Freeze can be just as dark and serious as the Nolan movies. I'm mainly talking about injecting Killer Croc, Man-Bat and Clayface into it. I have never seen a single monster movie or horror flick that had a human transforming into a giant animal or substance...therefore becoming a "monster villain"...and be presented to me in a completely serious manner. There always seems to be a level of comedy (most of the time unintentional) that goes with it. A bit cheesy or something.

Not saying it wouldnt be fun but WB probably wont get into that for a while.

Not everyone will agree with this but i think Lizard worked in Amazing Spider-Man not just because he was more of an original character than the Crocs and Man-Bats BUT because it goes hand in hand with that universe. Always had, always will. There's a lighter and comedic element to Spider-Man. Especially how he'll make fun of his opponent during a battle. With Batman, especially after these Nolan movies, it might stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by shauner111; 11-28-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #170
donkeypunch
Newbie First Class

MArvel was smart they introduce Thanos first now everyone will think Darkseid is a rip off when in fact its the other way around.

donkeypunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #171
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah they are smart to do that.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #172
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Marvel was smart they introduce Thanos first now everyone will think Darkseid is a rip off when in fact its the other way around.
Technically DC introduced Darkseid first in live action...on SMALLVILLE. It's a moot point. If Darkseid shows up on film, odds are he'll beat the pants off Thanos anyway.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #173
Edguy
Banned User

I think taking Batman to a more Sci Fi level is obvious, with the JL movie coming. But the fantastic elements.. I don't know. I did, however, really like the Arkham games, and something in that direction might be cool. Toning the fantasy down a lot tho, but still. I'd love to Killer Croc, but obviously toned down. not too much tho, still needs to look menacing, monstrous and reptilian. Not so sure abut Clayface and Man-Bat x]

I'd also like to see the Riddler, but not related to the main plot. I don't really see him working as a main villain, more of a side story.. Would be hard to write something like that into a movie script, though..

All in all, I think Mr Freeze is the most obvious choice. He's the main villain that fits best into the JL world, imo. The public also love a tragic villain, regardless of how much it has been used! Would have to tone him down as well, though. Probably mostly refer to him as Victor. Perhaps Mr. Fries?! A single cold pun, and the film is dead!

And the Joker eventually, but not as a main villain. It would be so awesome if they made a film with, say The Black Mask and The Penguin, and then, in the middle of the film, The Joker strolls in unannounced and f**k s**t up for everyone! This could be so great if they managed to keep him being in the film a secret until release!

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #174
terry78

And this is the theme song this new series should have. **** Elfman, **** Zimmer....this is where it's at.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #175
The Guard
Side-Kick

I still kind of want to see Hugo Strange with Man-Bat, Clayface and Killer Croc.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote