The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #201
jacobed
Banned User

Default Re: Jack the Giant Killer by Bryan Singer?

They look terrible.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #202
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
What exactly is the issue people have with the effects in this?
How poorly done the giants look, the CG work is poor.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 11-21-2012 at 11:28 PM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #203
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Read up on what happens... he got more time for post production...a hell of a lot more... yet approves these visual effects shots as final or at least good for showing audiences... people across the internet think this film trailer is ****... that's all there is
Uh, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
is he working on the effects ?

Digital Domain's other big project was "Jack the Giant Killer," a project so catastrophic DD employees came to call it "Jack the Company Killer."
According to several insiders, DD underestimated the complexity of the vfx on "Jack," underbid for the work, tried new software and techniques that didn't entirely succeed, and found itself having to re-do scenes. The re-dos were unremarkable for a studio movie but they obliterated DD's already-low margins.
CEO Ed Ulbrich told Variety "Jack" was "a contributing factor" in the bankruptcy "but by no means is that the only reason."
See, that was easy.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #204
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Compared to what exactly? Yeah they look a bit cartoony, but it looks like it fits the world and the practical effects as well.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #205
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Wow, this looks terrible in every way.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #206
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Compared to what exactly?
I don't know...good effects?!!

Quote:
Yeah they look a bit cartoony,
Ya think?

Quote:
but it looks like it fits the world and the practical effects as well.
Crappy CG doesn't look good in any real world environment or with any practical effects, unless that's was the director intended.

That's the major complaint people have with CG is that it doesn't fit in or doesn't look as good as practical effects. Here you are saying this crappy work here looks as good as the practical effects? That's ridiculous!

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 11-22-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #207
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Riiiiiiight.....
Look at what they are wearing. It is almost 80s glam rock.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #208
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah but though the giants' features are somewhat cartoony, I really don't know if they were aiming for a WHOLE cartoony effect because the VFX looks like from the early 2000's. If you want cool cartoony but believable designs, look at 2010's 'Trollhunters'. It's low budget and was very Jim Henson like with its CG and designs!

Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #209
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Yeah but though the giants' features are somewhat cartoony, I really don't know if they were aiming for a WHOLE cartoony effect because the VFX looks like from the early 2000's. If you want cool cartoony but believable designs, look at 2010's 'Trollhunters'. It's low budget and was very Jim Henson like with its CG and designs!
That's what I was thinking.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #210
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I am not disagreeing that the quality isn't great. I agree that it isn't the best, but people are acting like it is downright horrible and I completely disagree. I have seen horrible, modern day CG and I don't think this is close to that. I find it more then serviceable, if somewhat lacking. The shots of the Giant walking into the water and jumping off the land in the sky are pretty terrific imo. It reminds me of Stardust and The Princess Bride and neither are convincing in their look really but more then make up for it in their charm, characters and writing.

Also I am someone who can look past such things if I enjoy the work. I love Doctor Who and GoT, and they aren't even on this level.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #211
Octoberist
point blank

yeah..I hope the movie ends up being good.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #212
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

They have another 4 months almost to work on the effects, i'm sure it wont be a factor by the time the movie comes out. Plus they arent that bad now, I have certainly seen worse.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #213
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
They have another 4 months almost to work on the effects, i'm sure it wont be a factor by the time the movie comes out. Plus they arent that bad now, I have certainly seen worse.
Um... the movie got delayed a year so they could work on the effects. Not sure what 4 months will do, but I hope the movie's good.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #214
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
How?

Quote:
Compared to what exactly? Yeah they look a bit cartoony, but it looks like it fits the world and the practical effects as well.
That’s what I’d like to know. Is this the best CGI I’ve ever seen? No. Is it terrible? Not by a long shot. The giants are heightened, fantasy versions of the concept, and they’ve clearly been placed in a fairly over the top, fantastical world. These visuals were intentional.

My guess is the giants are supposed to appear kind of dumb, initially as pushovers, but will end up being some kind of threat. Either they’ll be manipulated into one, but something will be done to make them appear terrifying in their nature.

Quote:
VFX from the early 2000’s…what does that even mean?

They probably weren’t aiming for an entirely cartoony effect, nor did they achieve one. The silly looking beanstalk, the slightly over the top nature of many of the costumes, sets and hairstyles is intentional. This film has comedy elements to it. Much of it appears to be tongue in cheek. It looks like any "cartoon" within the film is entirely intentional.

Quote:
That's the major complaint people have with CG is that it doesn't fit in or doesn't look as good as practical effects. Here you are saying this crappy work here looks as good as the practical effects? That's ridiculous!
How does it look bad? What elements of it look bad?

Simply saying “That looks bad” isn’t an informed argument against the quality of a film effect.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #215
Octoberist
point blank

Guard you're the dude who goes out his way to defend..Green Lantern with Ryan Reynolds right? I kid.

My explanation of 'Early 2000's effects iis very self explanatory. And I also listed 'Trollhunters' as an example of the same type of 'cartoony effects' but done right.

I'm not trashing the film and I could eat crow if it ends up being excellent. But something's off on the presentation of the what Singer is doing here but speaking mostly for myself.

I'm initiative enough to know that what is intentional, and what hits the mark and what doesn't. So far, its eh. I can see why Singer is trying to do but I don't know if he achieves it. But I won't dismiss it yet.

Last edited by Octoberist; 11-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #216
echostation
Banned User

Underbid or overbid... doesn't change the fact that HE"S THE DIRECTOR... HE APPROVES the effects shots at the end loool, how you don't get that is just plain stupid.

These effects shots are garbage, plain and simple and Singer approves them despite having so much more time to get the effects right EVEN if Digital Domain's initial new approach to doing them didn't turn out... why even release a trailer which has been universally panned then.

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #217
dark_b
Side-Kick

you think in 2012 he has the option to tell them to render it again? when this is done its done. even if the shot misses shadows .

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #218
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
you think in 2012 he has the option to tell them to render it again? when this is done its done. even if the shot misses shadows .
Exactly. The whole point is that they did "do it again" and that is all they could do because their financial situation.

Apparently echostation thinks they can make the effects budget just reappear.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 11-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #219
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Brings a whole new meaning to the term, "movie magic".

Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #220
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I thought that was a pretty poor trailer. The movie looks totally Meh.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #221
JP
Smelly

I can't imagine any CGI in the trailer wasn't completely intentional, otherwise why show it? They could have easily just not shown any of the giants yet if that were the case. Kinda like how we saw so little of The Lizard in all of the Spider-Man trailers and TV spots.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #222
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Um... the movie got delayed a year so they could work on the effects. Not sure what 4 months will do, but I hope the movie's good.
I know it got delayed, but an earlier article said they had to start the effects from scratch, so they will still be working on them.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #223
Airwings
Waves of air

Will this film make Nicholas Hoult a major star?

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #224
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I know it got delayed, but an earlier article said they had to start the effects from scratch, so they will still be working on them.
Oh, I didn't realize they had to start the effects from scratch.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #225
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Oh, I didn't realize they had to start the effects from scratch.
Wrong post. Sorry

Last edited by Airwings; 11-23-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote