The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #376
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Green Lantern 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
He did, but as I've pointed out, I didn't even address his comments about them being "fakish looking". None of what I resonded to involved these comments. I addressed his comments about whether he thought the powers themselves were "lame".

You don't need to spell it out for me, I understand the English language perfectly fine. I interpreted his statements about how he feels about the concepts based on the information he provided. Given his clarification after my post, I don't think I was far off.

He admitted in the same post that he doesn't think Green Lantern's powers, as they are depicted in the comics themselves, are all that impressive. That he considers them and the costume an inherent flaw within the concept itself. Which is the point that I responded to and addressed.

I'm not sure why you're even arguing this point with me.
I'm basically pointing out how the film could have been well received if it had been made better.

Change the costume, show the powers better. Same exact concept, totally different visuals, much better reception. It's that easy. You say you understand the difference between concept and visuals, but then you seem to imply that the visuals in the comics are the concept. Yes, Zionite considers it a flaw in the concept, but then he states he's not really familiar with the concept, so that tells us he's not actually judging the concept but the visuals.

I've seen people have trouble with the concept of Green Lantern: "He has too many powers, he can do anything!" But that was never the complaint about the movie.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 11-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #377
Zionite1
Side-Kick

@Dr Cosmic @Guard
In regards to the confusion about what I meant ijn my initial post.Its simple.I like the Green lantern concept fine for the most part.Its just that I think the concept has decent costumes and fake looking powers. Thats its

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I think you hit it on the head when you said GL's powers weren't utilized enough. In the movie we saw him use flight, energy blasts, superstrength and super speed, but not in a way that was cool or impressive or you would have remembered it. He's always been able to do that in the comics as well as make anything, including cool guns that shoot cool stuff. They instead went with the 70s sort of toys and boxing gloves "hologram legos" Green Lantern instead of the modern sort of summoner/reality bender/practical GL.

On the costume, they already deviated quite a bit form the classic, they should have deviated to something cool instead of something that was supposed to be 'cutting edge' and just wound up looking weird in a bad way.
Suprised to hear tht Green lantern has Superstrength and Superspeed(outside of flight?).From what I know Green lantern can fly really first and tajke a lot of damage.
His main offensive power seems to be attacking with hologram legos which really isnt impressive. Ive never seen Green lantern in any form create anything other than lego holograms.

For example he doesnt create cool guns that shoot cool stuff.He creates Lego holgrams that shoot lego stuff. Theres a difference between them-the former is far more awesome.

Come to think of it thats a Great Idea on how to potray Green lanterns powers on screen.Instead of him creating fake looking green stuff.He actually creates the real thing out of his Ring and manipulates in Battle.
Think about it-itd be awesome.

He cld be shooting off Torpedos,lightning blots,bullets......anything he could imagine out of his ring.That wld be freaking awesome.

As for the Costume-heeres the thing.Ive seen the movie suit and Classic suit on the new animated series-yes the filmmakers are responsible for the costume looking lame on screen.Howver the classic design is not awesome-its just decent.Which is better than lame(movie costume) but not great.

This is why I think the costume shld be redesigned.

I recently started watching the GL animated series and the Atrocitus costume looks badass-probably because of the armored look.I think Hal shld spot a similar look in his next shot at the big screen except his armor wld be more streamlined and with his own color scheme.

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #378
Edguy
Banned User

I just re-watched GL, and it's not really that bad. Not near the league of, say, the F4 films! I wouldn't say the visuals are that bad aither, though far from great.. I think the villain(s) are by far the biggest problem, together with some cheesy writing and poor directing from time to time.

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #379
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edguy View Post
I just re-watched GL, and it's not really that bad. Not near the league of, say, the F4 films! I wouldn't say the visuals are that bad aither, though far from great.. I think the villain(s) are by far the biggest problem, together with some cheesy writing and poor directing from time to time.
I actually think its on par with the F4 films but I liked those so was fine by me.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #380
Edguy
Banned User

F4 1 is just horrible to me, kind of the template of a bad superhero movie x)

Old 11-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #381
Deathstroke
Banned User

= This Thread

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #382
Edguy
Banned User

Chill out, Deadpool.

Last edited by Edguy; 11-27-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #383
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Deadpool will never get made. Lol

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #384
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Saw it again last night. The intro where Parallax gets released and then later when he attacks Abin Sur in the ship, that stuff was suspenseful and kind of thrilling. The movie did real well there and they should stick to that tone for the entire movie.

When we go to earth...well thats a different story.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #385
Edguy
Banned User

Something I always wondered, was do the GLs makes such trivial stuff with their rings? Why don't they just do it like this?

(From goblinscomic.com)

Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #386
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Because it's published by DC and not Image?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #387
metaphysician
Side-Kick

OTOH, it is a problem with selling the character to the GA, that a cosmic weapon is typically used in such a silly-looking manner. Sure, constructs can be neat, but when you get what looks like a bunch of giant toys *every* time you want to do a basic force field-type effect, its hard to take seriously.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #388
Edguy
Banned User

I always had this idea that John, being a rational, straight forward military guy, always made simple creations that just served their purpose, like in the animated series, while Hal made all the crazy stuff because he's more creative.

IE. giving a crashing helicopter wheels and creating a racetrack, instead of grabbing, and putting it down, or something.. That was weird..

Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #389
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edguy View Post
I always had this idea that John, being a rational, straight forward military guy, always made simple creations that just served their purpose, like in the animated series, while Hal made all the crazy stuff because he's more creative.

IE. giving a crashing helicopter wheels and creating a racetrack, instead of grabbing, and putting it down, or something.. That was weird..
It was cool. There would have been A LOT more complaining if they gave a character a power only limited by his imagination and he just grabbed things and moved them. Just like they complained when he did that in the Justice League cartoon.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #390
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Thing is, 90% of the time, that's *exactly* what he does: move, block, or blast stuff. The fact that he does it with an overly complicated, silly looking construct doesn't change the essential effect.

Making it about personality is a good idea, but even then it still barely makes sense that Hal Jordan would be making giant boxing gloves and hotwheels cars, not unless you really do intend for him to be infantile.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #391
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

One of the biggest problems with the first film was the big reveal, that hot wheels moment was so lame, it needed to be something epic and exciting.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #392
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I could have done without the big reveal, honestly I don't green lantern should be done as a generic superhero movie, we've seen that, it's a tired concept. I'm fairly certain people are getting sick of it. stick with space opera, he's a space cop, show him fighting aliens in space.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #393
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I could have done without the big reveal, honestly I don't green lantern should be done as a generic superhero movie, we've seen that, it's a tired concept. I'm fairly certain people are getting sick of it. stick with space opera, he's a space cop, show him fighting aliens in space.
Yeah probably right I really think the film should have been set mostly in space kind of like First Flight was but save the Sinestro turn for the sequel.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #394
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

The Hotwheel reveal was breathtaking. Didn't you see the disbelief on the faces of the people he saved.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #395
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
The Hotwheel reveal was breathtaking. Didn't you see the disbelief on the faces of the people he saved.
Ha ha

It is bad that First Flight got more right than the live action film with a assize budget.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #396
Jordacar
The Endless One

I seem to be in the minority in thinking that the first film should've spent more time on Earth.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #397
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
I seem to be in the minority in thinking that the first film should've spent more time on Earth.
i dont think more time but i think they spent the appropriate amount of time. It's just that the earth time also had, imo, meh acting, boring characters, and nothing really going for it

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #398
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
It spent plenty of time on earth though, I think one if the main problems was Hector Hammond, in the end he really was a nobody just a plot device to get Parallax to Earth. Maybe if Hammond had been a villain in his own right it would have helped.

Last edited by BH/HHH; 12-01-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #399
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
OTOH, it is a problem with selling the character to the GA, that a cosmic weapon is typically used in such a silly-looking manner. Sure, constructs can be neat, but when you get what looks like a bunch of giant toys *every* time you want to do a basic force field-type effect, its hard to take seriously.
Precisely like I said Gls powers need to be tweaked for the big screen.Same with costume,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
honestly I don't green lantern should be done as a generic superhero movie, we've seen that, it's a tired concept. I'm fairly certain people are getting sick of it. stick with space opera, he's a space cop, show him fighting aliens in space.
Exactly.Honestly with more CBM films releases it is imperative that a superhero film take measures to stand out from the pack.Playing a generic superhero plot is tantamount to box ofice suicide-except if you are talking Batman and spidey.

Slightly off topic I hope they learn from Gls mistakes when creating Flash movie.Its very very easy to fall into the trap of making flash a generic superhero movie.They shld make sure to focus on the unque parts of the Flash mythos when making a movie-Mainly stuff like the Timetravel elements and/or Alternate Universes.

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #400
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

If there will be a new film it should completely be revamped from the 1st one. I finally saw it on cable just a few minutes ago and I switched the channels after a few minutes. It was rubbish, and not even in par with cult films like "The Last Starfighter" nor as bizarre as "Laserblast". At least the F4 films have instant chemistry between its four main characters, regardless if they truly represent the comics. I didn't buy Blake Lively as test pilot but she played the girlfriend/confidant well enough. The CGI was not even at par with those Star Wars prequels, which says a lot. Too much artificial lighting made it so fake.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote