Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #26
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
*armor

Armor up Happy Hogan? Seriously? She's not one of his bodyguards, she is his wife. How is her being in physical danger a bad excuse for her getting into armor? It makes so much sense to me that I can't believe you don't get it.

The whole point of Rescue is that she is not armed with any weapns, the suit is designed to protect her. She has saved (rescued) him twice already, almost dying in the process, a protective suit is extremely logical. It's not like the suit is designed to go into battle with Tony, it's designed to protect her and get her away from danger, that's the direction I think they will go.

He obviously builds a lot of suits, there have been what 7 different variations on screen alone, let alone the prototypes we don't see. Are you telling me that it is not reasonable that while making all these suits, he would make one for the woman he loves?
Armour is how we spell it across the pond so no need for the *.

Pepper isn't Stark's wife, she's his girlfriend. But that's not the point. If they go the route of having Rescue being a suit to ship her off to safety that is just going to make people scream and shout about sexism. The Rescue armour, if ever done in the films should have the same goals as the comics. To be a search and rescue armour with no intention of combat. Think back to Iron Man where she was shocked by the bullet holes in the Mark III, the seeds were planted there for her to be against combat to a degree. I'm not saying that they intend for her to be Rescue it's just you could see the ideas behind Rescue in her characterisation.

If they were to do the Rescue armour it needs to be done right. If it was me there are only two ways I'd have it in Iron Man 3.

1. As a cameo in a hall of armours scene. No reference is made it's just there along with other cameo suits.

2. Pepper is injured and she gets an arc reactor in her chest then adapt the scene from the comics where she talks to Tony about the whole thing, you don't see any armour it's just hinted at.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
Matarreyes
Side-Kick

I love having strong female characters in the movies, and I count movie!Pepper as the best of them. ¿Women running around in tight body armour (cough*BlackWidow*cough)? A self-serving male fantasy. A well written strong female character is not defined by being strong physically, but mentally. Pepper is leagues better than Tony at being CEO under pressure, and her storyline should continue to dwelve in that direction. Nothing in her movie journeys suggests that she needs a suit of armour to kick ass. The fact that it can be done / has been done in the comics does not mean it will look good on screen.

I would be OK with it if it played out as a last-minute effort to get her away from the explosion using one of Tony`s own IM suits, but never her own armour. Please, no.

Matarreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
WindsofHorus
Test Pilot of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
There is a very good reason why Pepper might get a suit of armor: She's being attacked by Tony's enemies yet again. Pepper is in the line of fire because of Tony, so it makes perfect sense that he would come up with a means to protect her from danger when he can't himself. You may not like that reasoning, but it's not a stretch by any means.

Fans usually whine when the films diverge from the comics, but in the case of War Machine and Rescue all the pissing and moaning is about developments that are canon. In Rhodey's case, he has had the armor in one form or another since the 1983. War Machine has three decades of history behind him and his existence is by no means controversial anywhere but on forums like this. Pepper got her suit more recently, but again it's part of comics lore that the filmmakers are going to mine for ideas.
I'm not complaining about Rhodey as War Machine.. Len Kaminski and Kev Hopgood's run on Iron Man is one of my absolute favorites.

Rhodey is actually qualified to be in a suit.. What makes Pepper? Nothing.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
*armor
Nope

Quote:
Armor up Happy Hogan? Seriously?
No, not seriously. I'm really surprised you didn't get that. I was illustrating the silliness of having Pepper armour up just because she was in danger (and not because of actual character progression). It's a cheap move and opens up the doors for Tony doing that for anyone he's close to that gets in the way of danger.

Not to mention that you potentially undermine Pepper's character. She's shown herself able to handle herself well enough and not be your average damsel in distress. Turning her into a superhero suggests she needs to armour up and it changes her character on a fundamental level. Pepper is arguably much better as a character without armour.

Pepper only became Rescue relatively recently in the comics. That's after a few decades of character development. Not something I'd look to throw into the third movie (which seemingly has a lot going on anyway).

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 11-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZaTrOn View Post
Armour is how we spell it across the pond so no need for the *.

Pepper isn't Stark's wife, she's his girlfriend. But that's not the point. If they go the route of having Rescue being a suit to ship her off to safety that is just going to make people scream and shout about sexism. The Rescue armour, if ever done in the films should have the same goals as the comics. To be a search and rescue armour with no intention of combat. Think back to Iron Man where she was shocked by the bullet holes in the Mark III, the seeds were planted there for her to be against combat to a degree. I'm not saying that they intend for her to be Rescue it's just you could see the ideas behind Rescue in her characterisation.

If they were to do the Rescue armour it needs to be done right. If it was me there are only two ways I'd have it in Iron Man 3.

1. As a cameo in a hall of armours scene. No reference is made it's just there along with other cameo suits.

2. Pepper is injured and she gets an arc reactor in her chest then adapt the scene from the comics where she talks to Tony about the whole thing, you don't see any armour it's just hinted at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matarreyes View Post
I love having strong female characters in the movies, and I count movie!Pepper as the best of them. ¿Women running around in tight body armour (cough*BlackWidow*cough)? A self-serving male fantasy. A well written strong female character is not defined by being strong physically, but mentally. Pepper is leagues better than Tony at being CEO under pressure, and her storyline should continue to dwelve in that direction. Nothing in her movie journeys suggests that she needs a suit of armour to kick ass. The fact that it can be done / has been done in the comics does not mean it will look good on screen.

I would be OK with it if it played out as a last-minute effort to get her away from the explosion using one of Tony`s own IM suits, but never her own armour. Please, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsofHorus View Post
I'm not complaining about Rhodey as War Machine.. Len Kaminski and Kev Hopgood's run on Iron Man is one of my absolute favorites.

Rhodey is actually qualified to be in a suit.. What makes Pepper? Nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Nope

No, not seriously. I'm really surprised you didn't get that. I was illustrating the silliness of having Pepper armour up just because she was in danger (and not because of actual character progression). It's a cheap move and opens up the doors for Tony doing that for anyone he's close to that gets in the way of danger.

Not to mention that you potentially undermine Pepper's character. She's shown herself able to handle herself well enough and not be your average damsel in distress. Turning her into a superhero suggests she needs to armour up and it changes her character on a fundamental level. Pepper is arguably much better as a character without armour.

Pepper only became Rescue relatively recently in the comics. That's after a few decades of character development. Not something I'd look to throw into the third movie (which seemingly has a lot going on anyway).
All these words are full of wisdom.

Rescue Armor is as much a disservice to Pepper as it is to Tony Stark. It makes Pepper into something she's not: she is neither weak, nor is she a superhero. She is comfortably somewhere in-between, and she functions best in that capacity. She's the CEO of a multinational megacorp, and it would look all kinds of stupid to see her suiting up for ANY reason other than the lulz.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #31
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
All these words are full of wisdom.

Rescue Armor is as much a disservice to Pepper as it is to Tony Stark. It makes Pepper into something she's not: she is neither weak, nor is she a superhero. She is comfortably somewhere in-between, and she functions best in that capacity. She's the CEO of a multinational megacorp, and it would look all kinds of stupid to see her suiting up for ANY reason other than the lulz.
Pepper isn't weak, but when attacked by a supervillain she is going to be in mortal danger. Giving her the Rescue armor is a way of keeping her out of danger and freeing her from the limiting role of perpetual damsel in distress.

One thing I look forward to if Pepper becomes Rescue: Reading all the posts online condemning the move. If nothing else, a backlash may confirm the industry's opinion that female superheroes will never be totally accepted by the audience, which may in turn influence Marvel's plans to bring solo heroines like Ms./Captain Marvel to the big screen. Why use her when you can feature a male hero with the same powers and name?

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #32
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Pepper isn't weak, but when attacked by a supervillain she is going to be in mortal danger. Giving her the Rescue armor is a way of keeping her out of danger and freeing her from the limiting role of perpetual damsel in distress.
You're just arguing that as long as Pepper isn't a superhero then all she'll ever be is a damsel. Pretty sure I and other have said she's managed to not be one without needing an armour of her own.

Quote:
One thing I look forward to if Pepper becomes Rescue: Reading all the posts online condemning the move. If nothing else, a backlash may confirm the industry's opinion that female superheroes will never be totally accepted by the audience, which may in turn influence Marvel's plans to bring solo heroines like Ms./Captain Marvel to the big screen. Why use her when you can feature a male hero with the same powers and name?
I think you're just being nonsensical here so you can downplay anyone who isn't interested in Rescue.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 11-22-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
Just one more
Side-Kick

Anyone care to explain why Tony would build himself many many suits yet not think to build one to protect "the one thing I can't live without"?

That will be a question which must be addressed if Pepper does not get her own armor.

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #34
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Very true!

I still would rather have Rescue than Pepper being killed off.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #35
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

I'd rather see more screen time given to the Mandarin over introducing yet another character's armor suit.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #36
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

God help the industry if they're colossally stupid enough to think that. If the sole purpose of introducing Rescue Armor into the movies is to audience-test superheroines, they're going about it all wrong. Pepper, again, is NOT a superheroine, and was never meant to be, so it's asinine to try to make her into one in the movies. *However,* there's tons of actual superheroines in the Marvel catalog they could (and should, and should have been all along) testing with audiences --- Ms. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Spider-Woman, Valkyrie, She-Hulk, Elektra, Dagger, Jessica Jones, Mockingbird, Tigra, Firestar, Crystal, Medusa, Echo, Hellcat, Kate Bishop, Moondragon, Mantis, Namorita, Photon, Power Princess, Silver Sable, Songbird, even Squirrel Girl.....

Try any dozen of the above and see how audiences respond. If all of those fail, *then* you can try gimmicks like Rescue. Otherwise, let's leave the hero-ing bit to actual name superheroes and superheroines, and leave the supporting cast to, you know, support.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #37
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Anyone care to explain why Tony would build himself many many suits yet not think to build one to protect "the one thing I can't live without"?

That will be a question which must be addressed if Pepper does not get her own armor.

Oh I dunno. Forty years of comic history and two movies without people asking that? Possibly that has something to do with it.

Quote:
God help the industry if they're colossally stupid enough to think that. If the sole purpose of introducing Rescue Armor into the movies is to audience-test superheroines, they're going about it all wrong. Pepper, again, is NOT a superheroine, and was never meant to be, so it's asinine to try to make her into one in the movies. *However,* there's tons of actual superheroines in the Marvel catalog they could (and should, and should have been all along) testing with audiences --- Ms. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Spider-Woman, Valkyrie, She-Hulk, Elektra, Dagger, Jessica Jones, Mockingbird, Tigra, Firestar, Crystal, Medusa, Echo, Hellcat, Kate Bishop, Moondragon, Mantis, Namorita, Photon, Power Princess, Silver Sable, Songbird, even Squirrel Girl.....
There's quite a few names on that list I'd be interested in seeing in an Avengers sequel or a solo movie.

Quote:
Try any dozen of the above and see how audiences respond. If all of those fail, *then* you can try gimmicks like Rescue. Otherwise, let's leave the hero-ing bit to actual name superheroes and superheroines, and leave the supporting cast to, you know, support.
I agree. Lets not go changing a character's role needlessly when they're doing just fine.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #38
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Oh I dunno. Forty years of comic history and two movies without people asking that? Possibly that has something to do with it.
As a character is what I meant. Tony Stark is a very smart bloke who seems to always be planning ahead and the woman he loves is continually put in danger because of who he is. If he doesn't make her a suit for protection it would seem silly.

If she is in direct physical danger again (as we know she is from the trailer), her still not having some protection after all these years being with Iron Man just doesn't make sense.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #39
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

For Tony as a character it could go a couple of ways. One he asks Pepper and she flat out refuses for whatever reason. Two it just doesn't cross his mind since he thinks he find a way to protect her by himself.

People aren't suddenly going ask why Pepper doesn't have a suit in IM3 because they haven't asked that question for the first two movies or the decades of comic book history that preceded Rescue and she's hardly the only non-armoured person around Tony who's in potential danger.

Last edited by The Infernal; 11-23-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #40
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
As a character is what I meant. Tony Stark is a very smart bloke who seems to always be planning ahead and the woman he loves is continually put in danger because of who he is. If he doesn't make her a suit for protection it would seem silly.

If she is in direct physical danger again (as we know she is from the trailer), her still not having some protection after all these years being with Iron Man just doesn't make sense.
Why does it not make sense? Does a cop need to give his wife a bulletproof vest and some heavy firepower just because his job might endanger her life? Or a soldier? Or a spy? Does Spider-Man need to get a radioactive spider to bite Mary Jane to give her superpowers, because of all the danger he puts her in? Or Superman need to put Lois Lane into an impenetrable bubble to keep her safe from all his enemies?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Why does it not make sense? Does a cop need to give his wife a bulletproof vest and some heavy firepower just because his job might endanger her life? Or a soldier? Or a spy? Does Spider-Man need to get a radioactive spider to bite Mary Jane to give her superpowers, because of all the danger he puts her in? Or Superman need to put Lois Lane into an impenetrable bubble to keep her safe from all his enemies?
Hey, Felicia Hardy turning into Black Cat made Spider-man's job a whole lot easier and more enjoyable.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-23-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #42
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
Um, how to reply.

A cop or a soldier or a spy physically cannot give his wife a bullet proof vest. The paperwok at least would be ridiculous

Spider-man doesn't have access to radioactive spiders at his workshop.

If Lois lane was in direct danger I believe superman would put her into an impenetrable bubble to keep her safe. (can he do that, never read superman comics hahaha)

The point I'm trying to make is that Tony is in his workshop making suits all the time. To me it just seems logical he would make one for the missus, I know I would in that situation, especially after I almost got her killed twice in the past as a direct consequence of my actions.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #43
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Rescue is a ridiculous idea. I really hope we will never see that on screen.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #44
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Rescue is a ridiculous idea. I really hope we will never see that on screen.
But why is it so ridiculous?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #45
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
But why is it so ridiculous?
not only takes it away from what IM makes special if everyone and their uncle suddenly shows up in armor and it was bad enough how they handled WM in IM2, but I can only imagine how many idiots will ask the question "where was Rescue?" after Avengers 2.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Last edited by R_Hythlodeus; 11-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.
R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #46
Zeerola
Side-Kick

Quote:
not only takes it away from what IM makes special if everyone and their uncle suddenly shows up in armor
In that case he stopped being special when Evil Jeff Bridges created his own suit in IM or Evil Mickey Rourkey his own suit and drones in IM2.

Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #47
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
not only takes it away from what IM makes special if everyone and their uncle suddenly shows up in armor and it was worse enough how they handled WM in IM2, but I can only imagine how many idiots will ask the question "where was Rescue?" after Avengers 2.
War Machine makes story sense; Rescue doesn't.

Tony Stark trying to keep the government from militarizing his armor has been a recurring theme in Iron Man's career, and War Machine is an important cog in that; making the wearer also be his closest friend adds the sting of betrayal to it as well. (Looks like that theme continues in IM3, with WM getting Captain America-ed up with Iron Patriot armor.)

But building a suit of armor to protect his girlfriend/wife makes no story sense. What's she supposed to do, go with him on missions/adventures? *That's* what would put her life in extreme danger, with or without a suit. Or would you rather have her sit around the house in armor all day and all night, just in case the Living Laser or Titanium Man drop by for an unannounced visit....?

If Tony *really* wants to protect Pepper, he'd distance himself from her completely to take her out of harm's way. And I think that might be exactly his mindset in this movie, when he talks about protecting the one thing he can't live without.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #48
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerola View Post
In that case he stopped being special when Evil Jeff Bridges created his own suit in IM or Evil Mickey Rourkey his own suit and drones in IM2.
Exactly right. Look at the history, IM's rogues gallery is chock full of iron suited villains. What makes him special is that he is the origin of the technology and that all these villains try to replicate it to take him down, not that he is the only one in a powered suit. Mandarin being the obvious exception (though not the only one).

Quote:
But building a suit of armor to protect his girlfriend/wife makes no story sense. What's she supposed to do, go with him on missions/adventures? *That's* what would put her life in extreme danger, with or without a suit. Or would you rather have her sit around the house in armor all day and all night, just in case the Living Laser or Titanium Man drop by for an unannounced visit....?
No she is not supposed to go with him on missions/adventures, the suit has no offensive weapons I believe at her request, hence the name Rescue.

No she is not supposed to sit around the house in armor all day and all night **sigh** but if the danger does arise and either of those villains do attack, then she has the protection available. Kind of like insurance, you hope you never need to use it but it's always good to have it just in case.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #49
Zeerola
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, he would just give her armor, she would use in case of immediate danger. You know instead of screaming, yelling and running in circles like in IM and IM2. And maybe she would decide that she is sick of being damsel in distress and kept the armor and always protected herself instead of waiting for her knight in shining armor (literally). Tony also doesn't always wear armor just in case, but he can summon it when he's attacked (IM2, Avegers)

Quote:
If Tony *really* wants to protect Pepper, he'd distance himself from her completely to take her out of harm's way. And I think that might be exactly his mindset in this movie, when he talks about protecting the one thing he can't live without.
That would be cliché on so many levels. Seriously don't do that, I'm sure I'm not the only one who so sick of this cliché.

Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #50
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I can see them putting her in armour in this movie. I don't think they should. But I won't be surprised if she does. Just as like..protection