The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #251
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

I think the design of it was great and the most realistic way it could have been done but from the moment it was introduced in the final battle you new exactly where the film was heading IMO it didn't feel desperate as you knew he was gonna walk it from here. The street brawl however was sensational and a real shame it seemed to disappear after Batman beat Bane.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #252
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

I think Batman staying with the cops and staying with the all out assault on City Hall yelling out orders would have been a hell of a lot more epic. The final battle was far too short IMO.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #253
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Exactly.

And as for the accusation that everyone making suggestions for improvements in the movie are saying they know more than Chris Nolan does, they act as though they are offended or upset that anyone could think what Chris Nolan delivered is not the best we could have gotten, and any alternative ideas could not possibly be any better than what Nolan had in mind.

To that I say BS. Nolan is a fantastic director, one of my favorites, but he is not an infallible genius who cannot and should not be questioned or criticized. Frankly it's this kind of attitude which gives the Nolan fan base a bad reputation.

When criticisms are made, they are not hindering anyone from enjoying the movie any less. Yet they treat it as though it is just that. The problem is not with the critics or detractors, it's with those who can't maturely handle that there's people who are not 100% happy with what was given, who firmly believe the movie does have problems, and that improvements could be made.

That's just the way it is and it's not going to change.
Quoted for truth. Master Nolan ain't above getting criticized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post

Thank you.

TDK is one of my favorite films of all time, but there are still things I'm not 100% happy with. I'm not sure I can think of any movie (or any piece of media) that I believe is 100% perfect and I wouldn't change a single detail about.

The Godfather comes to mind, but even there I'm sure I'd find something that I would have done slightly differently. Whether it be a line of dialogue, lighting, score, shot composition, etc.

Does that make The Godfather any less of a cinematic masterpiece?

Heavens no.
There ain't a flick in existence that people would make some kind of changes to, even small ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAVELI25 View Post
DEFINITELY agree with this. I felt the whole Nuclear bomb ticking down thing was pretty cliche, especially with Bruce returning with (surprise surprise) a day left before it was to explode.

I also didn't like how unrealistic the Bat seemed. The Tumbler and Batpod were atleast somewhat plausible, but every time the Bat was onscreen I remembered I was watching a superhero movie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but works against the tension that the film is trying to build

That final scene with the bat flying through the air and evading missiles has to be one of my least favorite parts in the film. It just seemed to be that action scenes in the previous installments were atleast SOMEWHAT grounded. With this one it was like Nolan just said, " **** IT!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Gotta agree. The final Bat/Truck chase has to be the least thrilling action scene in the trilogy IMO because it is SO comic-booky in comparison to everything else that has happened that it sucks you out the film. Great visually and to know a LOT was done practically but I haven't heard one person say "the film was great but the final action scene was AWESOME".
Bravo. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Now some people are just hating. That scene is fantastic.
Nah some people just don't find mediocrity fantastic.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #254
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Nah some people just don't find mediocrity fantastic.
I think the scene was very well done but it was too extreme to the point where it just wasn't exciting. It looked amazing though.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #255
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I think Batman staying with the cops and staying with the all out assault on City Hall yelling out orders would have been a hell of a lot more epic. The final battle was far too short IMO.
I don't think I would have enjoyed Batman yelling/mumbling orders to the GCPD

Quote:
I think the scene was very well done but it was too extreme to the point where it just wasn't exciting. It looked amazing though.
Very well done indeed. But, each film already had their best chase scenes. While the final chase scene was just as fine, imo, the best in TDKR was always going to be the cops chasing Batman in the Batpod.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #256
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
I think you've hit the nail on the head.

It's the kind of thing where I know what I'm seeing on screen is spectacular and I know I'm supposed to be excited by it, but I'm just not.
Even the first time I saw it I felt extremely detached from that scene.

Free Original Music
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #257
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I don't think I would have enjoyed Batman yelling/mumbling orders to the GCPD
Yeah maybe not yelling but I think Batman being included more in the brawl may have been better. Him on the rooftops watching from above whilst being in contact with Gordon and Foley would have been good. I think they should have kept it more grounded and I think it would have been better for Batman to be in there with the cops than out doing other stuff and then ignoring the brawl.

When I saw this ad I was ridiculously excited -

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

And would have loved it to have been like this.

Quote:

It's the kind of thing where I know what I'm seeing on screen is spectacular and I know I'm supposed to be excited by it, but I'm just not.
Yep. Doesn't ruin the film though just very... out there.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #258
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Probably every action scene was trimmed. I think it's Lee Smith that addresses it in the book. Nolan this time filmed a lot more action.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #259
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Yup visuals are one thing but if ya don't get he execution right then it ain't worth jack.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #260
Ant-LOX
Bathman

I'm the total opposite. This film has ruined other films for me, It's too good. In every aspect. The hokey comic book dialog, the fight/chase/emotional sequences, the establishing shots, the costumes, weather conditions, (Snow!) - I'm just in love with this film.

everything is in it's place.

Plus, I never project my own wants and needs from a film onto a director who does not know what I want to see. It's setting any film up for failure.

And if you weren't into it, you just didn't like it.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #261
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:

Exactly. Thus why it's an underwhelming scene. Visuals not withstanding.

- The Joker
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #262
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is true of many action scenes, it's pretty subjective stuff. I felt this way about pretty much every action sequence in Skyfall, all the Transformers, etc - action movies other people find incredibly exciting. Action is incredibly difficult to pull off and typically very inconsistently experienced. Sometimes the same action sequences in some movies like TDK and BB are very engaging at one sitting and then bore me another. I dunno, it's a pretty hard thing to gauge.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #263
Travesty
TEOL

Hehe, I liked The Bat in the movie, although, I wasn't that impressed with the final scene, in how easy The Tumblers were being destroyed. One missile from The Bat-pod, and those things were goners.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #264
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Yeah, I expected more out of the stolen Tumblers. The way they functioned in the film they really didn't seem much more durable than a standard vehicle. Some longer more rough-and-tumble action pieces in the chase sequence would have helped.

The chase scene was too rushed feeling in the end, I think. And some bits were obviously cut out, like the Bat and the Batpod flying into the tunnel, etc.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #265
Anno_Domini
Banned User

What else could we have expected from the Tumblers? The Bat, something with probably much better weapons, destroyed one and the Bat-pod, that carries the same amount of fire power as the Bat-pod is part of the Tumbler, destroyed another. And...I think The Bat destroyed the third Tumbler, not quite sure...but it's not like a regular gun from a police officer destroyed the vehicle or something.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #266
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Wasn't there a Tumbler that was seen falling into a hole / crater in the street during set videos? Was that in the film? I can't remember.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #267
Anno_Domini
Banned User

That's how Catwoman was able to spin on her Bat-pod, but I believe that was caused by The Bat as well.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #268
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I don't know what more I expected from it, to be honest. I probably could not create an action chase sequence as awesome as any in the three films. But after the first two films' sequences, which seemed so imaginative and badass, this one seemed rather underwhelming. The BB and TDK sequences had so much that was unique - the semi flip, ramming the garbage truck, the rpg shot, the flying off rooftops, etc. This one had the one badass moment where Bruce flew the Bat so that the rocket Tumbler was hit by its own missiles... but that was pretty much the extent of it all. I expected more from the chase on the basis of what we got in the previous two films.

I loved the batpod chase at the beginning of TDKR a lot more than the end sequence chase, to be honest, although both seemed painfully short.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #269
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I don't know what more I expected from it, to be honest. I probably could not create an action chase sequence as awesome as any in the three films. But after the first two films' sequences, which seemed so imaginative and badass, this one seemed rather underwhelming. The BB and TDK sequences had so much that was unique - the semi flip, ramming the garbage truck, the rpg shot, the flying off rooftops, etc. This one had the one badass moment where Bruce flew the Bat so that the rocket Tumbler was hit by its own missiles... but that was pretty much the extent of it all. I expected more from the chase on the basis of what we got in the previous two films.

I loved the batpod chase at the beginning of TDKR a lot more than the end sequence chase, to be honest, although both seemed painfully short.
What saved the first chase sequence from seeming too short for me was how it went straight into Catwoman's first official scene and then Batman saving her on the rooftop.

Bane's raid on the stock exchange --> Batman's return/chase --> Catwoman intro/BatCat vs the merc = one of my favorite moments in the entire trilogy.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #270
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

I enjoyed the first chase in TDKR as well..though it is the only time in the series where I wish the Batpod rider sat on it like regulard motorcycle..(looks good when catwoman lays on it, bats not so much)..

As far as what I would change, no Talia, no Foley... just the mere fact that the cops are rushing in to fight for the city is enough for me to know things have changed from the way they were in batman begins and the dark knight..Foley was unnecessary.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #271
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5timechamp View Post
I enjoyed the first chase in TDKR as well..though it is the only time in the series where I wish the Batpod rider sat on it like regulard motorcycle..(looks good when catwoman lays on it, bats not so much)..

As far as what I would change, no Talia, no Foley... just the mere fact that the cops are rushing in to fight for the city is enough for me to know things have changed from the way they were in batman begins and the dark knight..Foley was unnecessary.
And that's the point...

Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #272
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post

Co-signed. That's just how I feel.

- The Joker
Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #273
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

The end sequence chase just felt too rush and poorly cut together, it was as if the film was hurtling toward the end as opposed to the action naturally flowing to its conclusion...You can feel the pace begin losing its control at the start of the police charge.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #274
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5timechamp View Post
The end sequence chase just felt too rush and poorly cut together, it was as if the film was hurtling toward the end as opposed to the action naturally flowing to its conclusion...You can feel the pace begin losing its control at the start of the police charge.
It really makes you wonder how much truth there was to that rumored 3 hour plus rough cut. I followed TDK pretty extensively and didn't get the feeling that quite a bit of stuff was ultimately cut out like I did with TDKR.

Maybe it's just in my head?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #275
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Maybe it's just in my head?
I don't think it is. The Bane / Batman fight was longer in the set shoot, with Bane throwing policemen around and Batman knocking down thugs until they reached each other. In the film, Batman just shows up, maybe knocks one guy out of the way, and they get down to business.

Then there were other pieces that never showed up, like the Bat following Catwoman on the Batpod down a curved bridge and into a tunnel, and stuff like that. There was a shot of Foley getting hit by the tumbler, whereas in the film there's just an awkward cut to his suddenly dead body. There was a shoot of Catwoman driving up and down the city hall steps, whereas in the film neither shot is shown.

Closed Thread