The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #401
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Filming in IMAX was a great achievement, but the amount of stuff Jackson and his wonderful team pioneered is EARTH SHATTERING. This trilogy doesn't even begin to compare.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #402
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Quoted for truth, gents.
I'm sure the Lotr forums wherever they exist still have space available.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #403
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
lolol

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #404
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I don't know think there is any need to have a pissing contest between LOTR and TDK. Yes, what Jackson achieved was amazing and he deserved that win, especially for Director, in 2003. However, what Nolan achieved is certainly quite stunning and did elevate the genre into respectable art (sorry to disagree, Cronenberg), at least with the second two. For that reason, I do believe TDKR deserves at least a token 10th nomination. There are better movies this year than TDKR (though TDK in 2008 is a different story....), but I am sure it will be better than some of the fare the Academy chooses to recognize anyways--think Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last year.

And it certainly has a better shot than some of the films naysayers on this board are suggesting will get in in front of it like Looper, Cloud Atlas, Life at 40 and, in all honesty, I think it has just as good a shot as The Hobbit. But that is only because I think
the Hobbit will disappoint next month.

--John Adams
Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #405
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
As good as Nolan's trilogy may have turned out (film 3 notwithstanding) the shear audacity of Jackson to bring the single greatest fantasy story ever written to life in one massive filming period is by far a bigger accomplishment. It's not even a contest, shooting 3 films at once and releasing them in consecutive years? Unheard of. 300+ day shooting, the constant script changes along the way, a fully CG character that had to act, a nightmare schedule for post production, and the fact that all it needed was one bad film to screw up the rest of the series. So much could have gone wrong with LOTR yet Jackson nailed it, and was justifiably rewarded. ROTK winning wasn't because it was the best film, it was for the entire project.
I dont think a movie should be celebrated by how much difficult it was to make. Or else Mr. Gilliam would have a full shelf.

I honestly think if a movie like ROTK wins 11 (or 12 ? i dont remember) oscars , than any movie is up for consideration.That's why i always feel the proportion and interest regarding the oscars to me is baffling. I simply cant understand the phenomenon. But it was much worst a long time ago , as time passes by , as cinema (worlwide cinema ) is available to anyone , the whole thing is losing some of its importance (or maybe my perception is completely wrong)

I feel time has not been kind to Jackon's project. I really like fellowship (until the council) , but the other two...ugh. Recently i rewatched it , and a lot of things feels really dated. But i have no idea why im writing this in a Batman forum

So yeah , i completely disagree. Not the audacity of the project , i believe it was a labor of love and sweat , but the quality of it is not very good. From a filmmaking point of view (and that is what matters to me) , Nolan's Batman to me is much more impressive project (and im not saying this because of some bias regarding my favorite superhero , because i'm also very fond of Tolkiens work , )

But i also have to say i wont be disappointed if Batman dont get any recognition. Its not the type of thing we should care.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #406
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
As good as Nolan's trilogy may have turned out (film 3 notwithstanding) the shear audacity of Jackson to bring the single greatest fantasy story ever written to life in one massive filming period is by far a bigger accomplishment. It's not even a contest, shooting 3 films at once and releasing them in consecutive years? Unheard of. 300+ day shooting, the constant script changes along the way, a fully CG character that had to act, a nightmare schedule for post production, and the fact that all it needed was one bad film to screw up the rest of the series. So much could have gone wrong with LOTR yet Jackson nailed it, and was justifiably rewarded. ROTK winning wasn't because it was the best film, it was for the entire project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Filming in IMAX was a great achievement, but the amount of stuff Jackson and his wonderful team pioneered is EARTH SHATTERING. This trilogy doesn't even begin to compare.
Quoted for truth, gents

Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #407
The Guard
Side-Kick

Edited.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #408
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, I don't think anyone would dispute that the LOTR trilogy was a massive achievement. I'm not even the biggest fan of that trilogy, but I still think what Jackson achieved was greatly impressive.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily say it's more ambitious than the Star Wars Trilogy just because it was shot all at one time. Likewise, there are things about the TDK trilogy that I find more daring and bold than I do either Star Wars or LOTR. Nolan doing everything without a second unit director would just be one to name off the top of my head.

Bottom line, to tell one big story over the course of multiple films is certainly an immense undertaking, and a huge challenge both from a creative and logistical standpoint. It's part of why I also felt Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 deserved a nomination.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 11-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #409
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Eh, I dunno, impressiveness aside, I still like TDK better than both TT and ROTK.

And that's not being bias, as I do prefer FOTR over all of Nolan's Batman movies.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #410
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, I don't think anyone would dispute that the LOTR trilogy was a massive achievement. I'm not even the biggest fan of that trilogy, but I still think what Jackson achieved was greatly impressive.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily say it's more ambitious than the Star Wars Trilogy just because it was shot all at one time. Likewise, there are things about the TDK trilogy that I find more daring and bold than I do either Star Wars or LOTR. Nolan doing everything without a second unit director would just be one to name off the top of my head.

Bottom line, to tell one big story over the course of multiple films is certainly an immense undertaking, and a huge challenge both from a creative and logistical standpoint. It's part of why I also felt Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 deserved a nomination.
Quoted for truth.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #411
antovolk
Side-Kick

I know that it's pointless pushing TDKR for Oscars as "it doesn't really deserve to win anything", but whatever, after seeing what some fans did in '08 with the Joker, I threw this together:

Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #412
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
ROTK winning wasn't because it was the best film, it was for the entire project.
What Jackson pulled off for LOTR was a technical marvel, and really deserves credit for taking bloated and boringly written books and making me care about the characters and getting rid of the tedious sections. It was definitely a huge risk in the way they chose to do it as well.

But he was doing a direct adaptation for the most part, whereas the TDK trilogy is an amalgam of some of the best themes and stories from 70 years of history put together in a way few others could have imagined. All three films are incredibly different in terms of structure and style, while still all feeling incredibly coherent. Each film can stand alone as very solid films (all three are significantly above average) but improve each other as a trilogy. All that to say that they're each their own epic endeavors and both gave me some of the most well told and thematically dense and layered films that only get better with each repeat viewing (although I'd say TDK is a bit deeper in that regard for me). Both pushed the industry technically, LOTR by setting the bar for CGI believability, TDK for bringing back use of big time practical effects and using CG to great minimal effect, a huge part of the reason people perceive these films as more realistic than they really try to be.

LOTR was amazing, but each film was a direct expansion of the last. TDK trilogy evolves as it continues, exploring three different ways to approach the action genre. It's just much more cinematically bold and innovative, and that's why it would be a shame to me if TDKR is not at least nominated Best Picture and Best Director. Nolan is simply one of the few directors out there truly pushing the medium and he deserves recognition on that front.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #413
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #414
Anno_Domini
Banned User

All of these 'For Your Consideration' posters and note cards look better than any Blu-ray/DVD cover of TDKR.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #415
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovolk View Post
I know that it's pointless pushing TDKR for Oscars as "it doesn't really deserve to win anything", but whatever, after seeing what some fans did in '08 with the Joker, I threw this together:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Is not pointless. A nomination at least is deserved, it was a great film in my opinion.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #416
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
Is not pointless. A nomination at least is deserved, it was a great film in my opinion.
Not pointless at all. Especially not after viewing all these "shoe ins" the film snobs in this thread swore were untouchable 5 months before release. Tdkr more than holds its own this year and then some.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #417
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
All of these 'For Your Consideration' posters and note cards look better than any Blu-ray/DVD cover of TDKR.
Yup. So much yup.

Free Original Music
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #418
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #419
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Once more...a 'For Your Consideration' poster that looks way better than any of the Blu-ray/DVD covers.

So would TDKR have a better chance at winning more at the Golden Globes or Oscars?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #420
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:

LOL

Quoted for Truth!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #421
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post

Lovely!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #422
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Not pointless at all. Especially not after viewing all these "shoe ins" the film snobs in this thread swore were untouchable 5 months before release. Tdkr more than holds its own this year and then some.

Bravo!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #423
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Once more...a 'For Your Consideration' poster that looks way better than any of the Blu-ray/DVD covers.

So would TDKR have a better chance at winning more at the Golden Globes or Oscars?
MTV Movie Awards

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #424
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Oh for the love of...damn it WB! These posters are gorgeous and I want them.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #425
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
MTV Movie Awards
No, that's for The Amazing Spider-Man to win, lol.

Closed Thread