The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #76
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Top 3 Favorite Scenes From The Dark Knight Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
I can definitely see where that criticism stems from and it is a bit far fetched, but it was never something that bothered me while watching it until people brought it up.

Vince Gilligan (creator of Breaking Bad) has said, paraphrasing here, that an audience will be okay with a coincidence/plot contrivance so long as it makes life more difficult for the protagonist.

I think TDKR is a prime example of this and why certain plot contrivances, such as the leg brace, are picked at so much more than others, such as Bane bankrupting Bruce.
I definitely like what Vince said there, and it's definitely true, imo.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #77
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can definitely see where that criticism stems from and it is a bit far fetched, but it was never something that bothered me while watching it until people brought it up.

Vince Gilligan (creator of Breaking Bad) has said, paraphrasing here, that an audience will be okay with a coincidence/plot contrivance so long as it makes life more difficult for the protagonist.

I think TDKR is a prime example of this and why certain plot contrivances, such as the leg brace, are picked at so much more than others, such as Bane bankrupting Bruce.
Wow, the bolded is acually a great point. But even in on the first viewing I was incredulous when Lucius said they had no way of proving that the Bane's stock operation was fraudulent There were literally hundreds of witnesses AND surveillance camera footage

MAKAVELI25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #78
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAVELI25 View Post
Wow, the bolded is acually a great point. But even in on the first viewing I was incredulous when Lucius said they had no way of proving that the Bane's stock operation was fraudulent There were literally hundreds of witnesses AND surveillance camera footage
Wayne could of also reported Selina breaking in and using toner to get his fingerprints.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #79
TheSpectacular
Christian and proud

1. "Where is Harvey Dent"-TDK
2. Two-Face Taking Gordon's Family-TDK
3. Joker Card-BB

TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #80
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Wayne could of also reported Selina breaking in and using toner to get his fingerprints.
Bruce reporting Selina would've been very out of character.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #81
Fudgie
Banned User

Heh how is that? I find quitting being Batman for 8 years more out of character than him reporting a crime to save his fortune.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #82
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Bruce reporting Selina would've been very out of character.
For sure.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #83
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
For sure.
Why?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #84
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Heh how is that? I find quitting being Batman for 8 years more out of character than him reporting a crime to save his fortune.
I find quitting being Batman after the Dent Act achieved what Batman set out to do not out of character, but reporting a crime that will undoubtedly intrigue Bruce to investigate himself but instead reporting it to the police VERY out of character.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #85
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Why?
Basically what Anno said.

Free Original Music
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #86
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
I find quitting being Batman after the Dent Act achieved what Batman set out to do not out of character but reporting a crime that will undoubtedly intrigue Bruce to investigate himself but instead reporting it to the police VERY out of character.
Ehhh no cos he had quit being Batman. He never followed up any investigation on what the hell Selina wanted with his fingerprints after he found out who she was. He only became Batman again because feel it in his bones Blake came along and told him Gordon was shot and saw some army underground and then pep talked him with a load of flowery stuff about anger and pain.

So yeah there was no reason for him to not report why some master thief stole his fingerprints when he wasn't gonna check it out himself. That's out of character. Bruce doesn't ignore crime like that.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #87
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
To me its insane to pick afew scenes from the trilogy. I loved each movie when they were each released, watched them to death. Will do the same when Tdkr comes home. Different movies called for different action involving different characters. I really try to choose but just cant.
Ha, me too. I just thought about all the films but there are so many great big moments and small moments that it's hard to pinpoint. I really love the brief silent flashbacks to Bruce and his father with the stethoscope. Goddamn genius. Every scene Joker and Bane are in are brilliant for me. Every scene with Batman feels new and are perfect ways to bring the character I loved so much to life in what felt like a realistic light. The first time we see Batman at the docks, when he flies over the people in the narrows, how he flies out of the train, his interactions with Scarecrow, the interrogation with Joker, the way Blake watches in awe as Bruce takes apart that group of mercenaries, Bane breaking the Bat etc. Just can't choose, haha!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #88
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Ehhh no cos he had quit being Batman. He never followed up any investigation on what the hell Selina wanted with his fingerprints after he found out who she was. He only became Batman again because feel it in his bones Blake came along and told him Gordon was shot and saw some army underground and then pep talked him with a load of flowery stuff about anger and pain.

So yeah there was no reason for him to not report why some master thief stole his fingerprints when he wasn't gonna check it out himself. That's out of character. Bruce doesn't ignore crime like that.
Well, to be fair, he did say "I need to know what you did with Bruce Wayne's fingerprints" to Selina on the rooftop. But yes, it would have made more sense if he had followed it up a little sooner (before going back into the suit). That's a really miniscule complaint in the grand scheme of things though.

Free Original Music
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #89
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Two things-

-Bruce was way more concerned with finding and stopping Bane than he was concerned about his missing fortune at that point. And he knew Selina could help him get to Bane.

-He had a thing for her, plain and simple. Same reason Bruce can't allow himself to turn her in in the comics.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #90
TheBat812
Side-Kick

He does try to find out, but doesn't succeed before realizing it was used to bankrupt him. I think this is also another way Nolan tries to show us just how rusty he is at this. Like Batlobster just said, Ra's always said Bruces compassion was his greatest weakness, and it almost undoes him here with Selina (the old Batman might've yelled the answer out of her) and also by letting him trust the complete wrong person in Talia. But he's also rewarded for it with Selina choosing to help him instead of taking off and saving her own skin.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #91
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Well, to be fair, he did say "I need to know what you did with Bruce Wayne's fingerprints" to Selina on the rooftop. But yes, it would have made more sense if he had followed it up a little sooner (before going back into the suit). That's a really miniscule complaint in the grand scheme of things though.
Yup but he did that after he came back as The bat and he did that cos of Blake's visit and Gordon getting shot. He just happened to run into Selina and asked her what she did with 'em. If Blake didn't visit him he still be sat on his ass in Wayne Manor not doing a thing about the master thief who took his fingerprints to do god knows what.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #92
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

He had quit being Batman because of what the Dent Act achieved, but that doesn't mean Bruce cannot being invested with anything else such as this woman stealing his mother's pearls and taking his fingerprints and he even told Selina he has someone other than the police to handle this problem she started and so when he returned as Batman, he found out what exactly Selina did with the fingerprints.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #93
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
He had quit being Batman because of what the Dent Act achieved, but that doesn't mean Bruce cannot being invested with anything else such as this woman stealing his mother's pearls and taking his fingerprints and he even told Selina he has someone other than the police to handle this problem she started and so when he returned as Batman, he found out what exactly Selina did with the fingerprints.
He found out after he came back as Batman and he only did that cos of Blake's visit and what Gordon saw in the sewers. He came back cos of Bane.

Before that he didn't do a damn thing about the master thief who pinched his fingerprints. She could have done anything with them for fraud purposes. But he never reported it. He ignored her crime and the potential major crimes she could cause using his fingerprints.

If he hadn't have sat on his ass being miserable and just leaving it he might not have lost his fortune.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #94
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
He found out after he came back as Batman and he only did that cos of Blake's visit and what Gordon saw in the sewers. He came back cos of Bane.

Before that he didn't do a damn thing about the master thief who pinched his fingerprints. She could have done anything with them for fraud purposes. But he never reported it. He ignored her crime and the potential major crimes she could cause using his fingerprints.

If he hadn't have sat on his ass being miserable and just leaving it he might not have lost his fortune.
He kept tabs on Selina and while what Blake told him about Gordon got him to finally don the cape and cowl once more, it did not take away Bruce still trying to find out what Selina did with his fingerprints.

But, yes, he could've done something much earlier, but still...telling the police is not something Bruce would have done.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #95
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
He kept tabs on Selina and while what Blake told him about Gordon got him to finally don the cape and cowl once more, it did not take away Bruce still trying to find out what Selina did with his fingerprints.

But, yes, he could've done something much earlier, but still...telling the police is not something Bruce would have done.
He kept tabs on her to get his momma's pearls back. That's it.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #96
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
He kept tabs on her to get his momma's pearls back. That's it.
Still called keeping in tabs. Which is what I already said.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #97
Fudgie
Banned User

For different reasons than what we're talking about mon ami.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #98
Anno_Domini
Banned User

No, for the same reasons.

He kept tabs on Selina because he was intrigued and that's who Bruce Wayne is. Getting the police involved is definitely out of character for Bruce Wayne. And for the 8 year gap, we both know how we disagree about that, hah.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #99
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
No, for the same reasons.
Yeah that's why he never mentioned the fingerprints when he caught up with her at the costume party. He just took his pearls back and ya never see him keep tabs on her again after that.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #100
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Knowing where Selina lives and what Selina does at night...didn't know there were more investigating Bruce needed to do until finally meeting up with her as Batman, the guy Bruce said handles this kind of stuff for him since he doesn't rely on the police.