The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #351
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Skyfall vs. TDKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Oh god, first time I saw TDKR, when Batman started yelling "Where's the trigger?!?!" I literally had to stifle my laughter and remind myself that the scene was serious.
I honestly burst out laughing, but it was in a positive way. I don't know if that begins to make sense but I swear it's true. My friend and I were just cracking up because we've always enjoyed Bats' over-the-top interrogation methods in these movies. Ad honestly by that point in the film, it was cathartic to get some Bat-fury after all Bane had put Bruce and his city through. It tickled me.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #352
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I wasn't speaking on the character of Talia either though. I'm generalizing parodies as in talking about characters(for instance, Bane) or a scene(for instance, Talia's death scene).
The point is parodies are made for every movie, for great scenes that are immensely popular. Like say the interrogation room scene, or Joker's mob meeting etc. But they are not intended as mocking of these scenes, or even of the characters.

You can count on one hand how many parodies of those great scenes were made. Parodies taking the piss specifically out of Batman's voice or Cottiard's death scene on the other hand are plentiful.

Quote:
The parodies are indeed incredibly funny, but it's definitely something I never thought of being really funny, but to each their own I guess. I can laugh at Batman yelling out "Where's the trigger!?!?!?!" to Bane, but for some reason I just don't laugh at Talia's death scene, lol.
I'm the same about Batman's voice. I concede there have been some scenes where it got too much, such as that trigger scene or when he's talking to Joker in their final scene together. But overall I like Bale's Batman voice and don't find it as funny as some think it is. The comics even say Batman speaks in a growly, hoarse, grating kind of voice;

But I acknowledge it is found laughable by most people and is taken the piss out of all the time. Same with Cottiard's death. It's just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
No, people have mocked his voice in all three films.
Really, because I was around for Begins release and I never remember any heavy criticism of his voice when that came out. No parodies. Nothing. That didn't start until TDK. Nolan obviously didn't give a damn because he used the same growly TDK voice in TDKR.

Nearly everyone here was convinced he wouldn't after all the complaints about in TDK.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #353
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I agree with everything you just said Joker. I'm a huge fan of Bale's portrayal overall, but I'd be lying if he hasn't had some LOL-worthy deliveries in this trilogy. Not a deal breaker by any means though, and I get the intention behind the growl and mostly like the voice.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #354
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Really, because I was around for Begins release and I never remember any heavy criticism of his voice when that came out. No parodies. Nothing. That didn't start until TDK. Nolan obviously didn't give a damn because he used the same growly TDK voice in TDKR.

Nearly everyone here was convinced he wouldn't after all the complaints about in TDK.
There was a ton on Batman Begins as well, although not as much because Batfans liked the difference from what we'd heard before, and BB wasn't a cultural phenomenon in an age full of parodies and memes... For the record I love Bale's batvoice, I'm just saying you're incredibly selective according to your own bias. I honestly don't even understand what you're trying to argue about anymore because everyone seems to be agreeing with each other, haha. Like Anno, I don't laugh while watching that scene in context of the film, but it's pretty hilarious to watch just the death by itself.

Last edited by TheBat812; 11-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #355
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
There was a ton on Batman Begins as well
Can I see some links then to a few samples from this ton of Begins parodies?

- The Joker
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #356
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The point is parodies are made for every movie, for great scenes that are immensely popular. Like say the interrogation room scene, or Joker's mob meeting etc. But they are not intended as mocking of these scenes, or even of the characters.

You can count on one hand how many parodies of those great scenes were made. Parodies taking the piss specifically out of Batman's voice or Cottiard's death scene on the other hand are plentiful.
Yah, but most of the examples you made, they actually use the same certain scenes, etc. Very different with the Bane parodies though, especially Bane playing Slender Men.

Quote:
I'm the same about Batman's voice. I concede there have been some scenes where it got too much, such as that trigger scene or when he's talking to Joker in their final scene together. But overall I like Bale's Batman voice and don't find it as funny as some think it is. The comics even say Batman speaks in a growly, hoarse, grating kind of voice;

But I acknowledge it is found laughable by most people and is taken the piss out of all the time. Same with Cottiard's death. It's just the way it is.
I actually didn't mind Batman's voice in his final scene with Joker, but the scene with Bane...just outright laughable. Honestly, the funniest thing in the trilogy, imo, that isn't meant to be funny.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #357
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Agreed on Bale's voice. For the most part it was fine. But in Begins it was perfect.
Part of the reason was because he changed it depending on who he was talking to. The way he talked to Rachel and Gordon wasn't the same way he talked to Flass.

In TDK and TDKR, it was all growl all the time.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #358
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
There was a ton on Batman Begins as well, although not as much because Batfans liked the difference from what we'd heard before, and BB wasn't a cultural phenomenon in an age full of parodies and memes...
Ehhhh no I've never seen any parodies of Begins Bat voice. Nope. Not one.

Batman's voice and Bane's voice get loads hahaha. Cottiard's head flop death too. Always getting ripped on.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #359
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah Begins was all over the place. I love his "rattle the cages" voice the most. I remember "It's what I DOOOO that defines me" used to get made fun of a lot on here back when I was merely a lurker . It's important to remember that YouTube didn't even exist when Begins came out...almost like a whole 'nother universe.

TDK and TDKR went full death-metal with the voice, haha, but it still worked in most cases and not every scene is as over the top as the parodies would have people think.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #360
TheBat812
Side-Kick

There are a few on youtube, but like I said, that was simply not an age of mass mass parodies and memes. But I specifically remember people wondering what the hell Bale's Bat-growl was all about and finding it hilarious. The "It's what I do that defines me" line still makes me laugh. Anyways, we're losing the point and once again arguing just for the sake of it, so let's let this go.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #361
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Yah, but most of the examples you made, they actually use the same certain scenes, etc.
Of course, because they're the scenes where the Batman voice sounded so bad so they're the ones they use. With Cottiard's death it only happened in one scene and in one way. Really limits how many ways you can parody it.

Quote:
There are a few on youtube, but like I said, that was simply not an age of mass mass parodies and memes. But I specifically remember non Batman fans wondering what the hell Bale's Bat-growl was all about and finding it hilarious.
This is what I get when I look it up on YouTube and none of them are piss takes of the Batman Begins voice; http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.AmtBqYKafxs

Quote:
Anyways, we're losing the point and once again arguing just for the sake of it, so let's let this go.
As you wish.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 11-24-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #362
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
It's important to remember that YouTube didn't even exist when Begins came out...almost like a whole 'nother universe.
YouTube was launched in February 2005.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #363
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
YouTube was launched in February 2005.
False.

Quote:
YouTube is a video-sharing website, created by three former PayPal employees in February 2005
Quote:
YouTube offered the public a beta test of the site in May 2005, six months before the official launch in November 2005.
Read Wikipedia more closely next time if you're trying to just prove me wrong for the sake of it.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #364
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Now we're talking about the creation of YouTube.

Awesome.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #365
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
I honestly burst out laughing, but it was in a positive way. I don't know if that begins to make sense but I swear it's true. My friend and I were just cracking up because we've always enjoyed Bats' over-the-top interrogation methods in these movies. Ad honestly by that point in the film, it was cathartic to get some Bat-fury after all Bane had put Bruce and his city through. It tickled me.
I had quite a few moments of this throughout the series - laughter out of sheer satisfaction at how they nailed the core of the characters in a new and unexpected way. Joker especially. I literally couldn't stop smiling the whole movie.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #366
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
False.

Read Wikipedia more closely next time if you're trying to just prove me wrong for the sake of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQXAC9IVRw

Want a tissue for that egg on your face?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #367
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
I had quite a few moments of this throughout the series - laughter out of sheer satisfaction at how they nailed the core of the characters in a new and unexpected way. Joker especially. I literally couldn't stop smiling the whole movie.
Yup. I had a lot of laughs like that throughout the whole trilogy as well. One of the biggest ones was when Bane chokes a guy to death without breaking eye contact with his partner.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #368
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQXAC9IVRw

Want a tissue for that egg on your face?
LOL this is pointless. Yes Youtube existed in Beta form, my point is it wasn't even close to what it became at that point, it was in its infancy. Hence my "it was a different time" comment.

It's just interesting to note how much things have changed in the internet world since then, that is all...and nothing more.

Moving on

Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #369
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
LOL this is pointless. Yes Youtube existed in Beta form, my point is it wasn't even close to what it became at that point, it was in its infancy. Hence my "it was a different time" comment.

It's just interesting to note how much things have changed in the internet world since then, that is all...and nothing more.

Moving on
The internet world was still a land of videos being posted. Didn't have to be just on YT. College Humor's been about since 1999 taking the mick out of movies.

YT was up and around when Begins came out, and they had three years since it's release and up to TDK to make parody vids of Begins voice but they never did.

So yah we should move on.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #370
Dark Knight
Banned User

After viewing TDKR 4 times (three times in IMAX) and viewing Skyfall in IMAX (twice). Comparing the two films is like comparing apples to peaches, but I will give it a go.

Love both films of course, but TDKR is a better overall film. The multiple layers and emotion that the TDKR brings trounces the layers and emotion that Skyfall brings to the table.

Love Bardems role as Silva. However, seeing how his characters actions (getting caught by MI6) are pretty close to what the Joker pulled off in TDK, is a negative when grading the two films.

Glad that it seems like the Broccolis and Wilson are keeping Mendes, Logan, Deakins and Craig for the next Bond film. It's a wise move.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 11-24-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #371
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Yup. I had a lot of laughs like that throughout the whole trilogy as well. One of the biggest ones was when Bane chokes a guy to death without breaking eye contact with his partner.
I really like this moment. It conveyed just how easily Bane can deal out death and think nothing of it.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #372
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'd agree with those comparisions, and unfortunately TWINE is one of the weaker Bond flicks. The Bane/Talia relationship is almost exactly like the Renard/Electra relationship, Renard is a vicious terrorist who cannot feel pain, You have a hero who's physically, mentally, and emotionally compromised, you have a film which has much more of a downbeat and depressing tone, And you have over the top action which conflicts a bit with the more personal story the film wants to tell. I'd say Skyfall is like TDK in its villan and that's about it. Other than that, its oddly closer to TDKR .
No the Bane/Talia relationship was nothing like the Renard/Elektra relationship.Bane's relationship with Talia was more like his relationship with Scandal Savage and furthermore Bane joining Ra's,having a relationship with Talia,leading the LOA and acquiring a nuclear reactor was done in the comics years before The World is Not Enough was released.

Omegabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #373
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
It does , but for me , if its between Bardem and Hardy its no contest. Bardem's character wins. It doesn't mean I think Hardy is bad , it means I just found Silva to be a better written and characterized, and dynamic villan. In the end , imo, Bane became nothing more than an overhyped henchmen.
And Silva was just an overgrown mommas boy,c'mon it's not fair to dismiss either performance with such ridiculously simple arguments.

I thought both were great but Bane was more memorable and I found Silva's computer gimmick to be very lacking.Die Hard did that much more convincingly,here Silva's hacking felt more like a plot device than an actual skill.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #374
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quoted for truth. That's all he was. Kinda like Scarecrow except with more clout.
Scarecrow was'nt even a member of the League or aware of their true plans.

On topic,it was hard for me to decide initially but now I think TDKR solidly beats out Skyfall.

Skyfall had virtually no replay value for me aside from the final act,Bond going out of action felt even more unbelievable than Bruce Wayne doing the same and ultimately the plot and the villain were fairly simplistic.Silva as a character is only as good as Bardems performance,shallow character really.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #375
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

It was a close call for me but Rises won in the end. Both are brilliant films however.

CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote