The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Default What is your opinion on the overall quality of the fight scenes in TDK and TDKR?

I've gotta say, as much as I criticized Nolan for the quick cut style he used in Batman Begins, in retrospect that might've been the most credible way to use Batman fighting multiple people

- Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of great fights in the trilogy such as Bane vs. Batman 1 and My favorite, the INCREDIBLE Batman vs. Swat in TDK. But as a whole a lot of the fights don't look that believable.

- Whenever Batman is facing more than one person, ESPECIALLY WITH GUNS, they just seem to stand around and wait for him to hit them. This was especially evident in the Hong Kong and Penthouse fight scenes in TDK, but you can still catch these same mistakes in TDKR, albeit to a less egregious degree. For instance, in both the rooftop scene and the scene where Batman is rescuing Blake, I feel like Bruce should've been shot multiple times. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Bourne movies, but apart from a few choice instances I haven't LOVED the choreography.

Note: I would've put this in the Fighting thread but I couldn't find it

MAKAVELI25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Ant-LOX
Bathman

Default Re: What is your opinion on the overall quality of the fight scenes in TDK and TDKR?

The case of a man in a Bat suit in a real world setting would have me a bit cautious as to what he would do.

Lunging at said man in his bat-suit when he's been heavily rumored to disappear and throw things, and channel an army of bats at whim, would keep me a little guarded.

that's the only real way I can think of the approach to some of the thugs in the movies. I like the techniques he uses, but they are a bit cheap, especially in the scene where he saves blake.

But, that's the reason he got his ass kicked by Bane. Bane knew how to take him out before he threw him off the ramp they were fighting on.

Bruce didn't learn much from that ass kicking either, but he was able to Best Bane, by attacking his Achilles face mask.

The fight sequences could have been better, but the guy on the poster is wearing a suit of armor, and as fluid as they made it, it's still limited.

Next movie, Spandex!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Default Re: What is your opinion on the overall quality of the fight scenes in TDK and TDKR?

The fights in Begins were the only ones that ever all felt real. From the very first fight with Bruce fighting six to seven men in the prison to the last with him taking on Ra's on the train.

Every fight had a sense of realism and danger that the ones in TDK and TDKR simply did not have (sans Bane vs Batman).

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I definitely have a few problems with how the fights are held in that people seem to go at Bats one at a time and don't bother shooting him(although, it seemed like there were some guys shooting at Batman during that Hong Kong scene), but I feel that the choreography also became better in TDKR as well. While Batman vs Bane Round One was amazing, Round Two was still pretty good, although not as great as Round One.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
TheBat812
Side-Kick

I thought the way they did it in BB was perfect and got around this issue, but so many complaints from fanboys and the GA alike made Nolan have to change his style, which did allow you to see more, but had that classic issue of people standing around waiting to fight or straight up being terrible shots. Whatever, the scenes are still very involving for me. In TDK in particular though, the fighting is pretty slow and too blatantly choreographed.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Fudgie
Banned User

Best thing Nolan did was listen to the complaints about that damn shaky cam in Begins.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Best thing Nolan did was listen to the complaints about that damn shaky cam in Begins.
And instead we got fight scenes that felt way too choreographed and made the fighting seem like a play where one guy attacks the protagonist, and then another when the first is knocked down.

Oh yes, best thing indeed.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
And instead we got fight scenes that felt way too choreographed and made the fighting seem like a play where one guy attacks the protagonist, and then another when the first is knocked down.

Damn right best thing indeed cos only nit picking fan boys saw what you say. Did ya hear some big outcry for the shaky cam to come back after TDK? Nope. Did ya hear some big outcry about the fights in TDK? Nope.

I am tickled pink.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Damn right best thing indeed cos only nit picking fan boys saw what you say. Did ya hear some big outcry for the shaky cam to come back after TDK? Nope. Did ya hear some big outcry about the fights in TDK? Nope.

I am tickled pink.
Didn't hear some big outcry about the shaky cam either except for the nitpicking fanboys as well

Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Didn't hear some big outcry about the shaky cam either except for the nitpicking fanboys as well
Nope the G.A. *****ed about it as well. That's why Nolan changed it.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Nope the G.A. *****ed about it as well. That's why Nolan changed it.
Didn't hear anything about the general audience *****ing about it at all.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Didn't hear anything about the general audience *****ing about it at all.
Then ya were living under a rock;

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I thought the way they did it in BB was perfect and got around this issue, but so many complaints from fanboys and the GA alike made Nolan have to change his style
About the only thing the movie got real flak about.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:

I'm very glad we agree on this.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Then ya were living under a rock;
2005...2005....I was living with my parents and they do not happen to live under a rock, so, nope, I don't believe I was and I also believe I still didn't hear any of the general audience *****ing about the shaky cam.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
2005...2005....I was living with my parents and they do not happen to live under a rock, so, nope, I don't believe I was and I also believe I still didn't hear any of the general audience *****ing about the shaky cam.
Whether ya heard it or not doesn't change that it happened. That's why Nolan dropped it. Not fanboys. Fanboys whining changes nothing for Nolan. It it did they woulda made Nolan change the Bat voice.

But did that change after TDK? Nope.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Whether ya heard it or not doesn't change that it happened. That's why Nolan dropped it. Not fanboys. Fanboys whining changes nothing for Nolan. It it did they woulda made Nolan change the Bat voice.

But did that change after TDK? Nope.
Lol, you say these complaints were said...but...nothing to show me that they were indeed said....interesting....

Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Anno, there was a fair amount complaining about the fight style in numerous reviews about how the fight scenes were filmed.

Quote:
That’s where Nolan’s movie really hits a roadblock, because the action never goes much further. Subsequent fights are shot with extreme close-ups and in overbearing shadow. We don’t get many good looks at Batman in motion, and anything approaching a wide shot is obscured in heavy clouds of steam. The film’s climax features a powerful hand to hand battle between Batman and Ra’s Al Ghul, but with Nolan’s camera three inches away from the Dark Knight’s cowl I’d be hard pressed to tell you who is punching who
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/B...egins-993.html

Quote:
The fight scenes in Batman Begins are numerous and frenetic—exciting stuff but shot too close, edited to the point of abstraction, conveying danger and confusion, but denying the audience the chance to revel in Batman's skill. One doesn't know who's kicking, who's winning. All that's clear is that a fight is on and it must be intense because it's cut every eight frames.
http://www.illuminedillusions.com/Batman%20Begins.htm

I don't know if Nolan did a complete 180 in the sequels because of this or not, but the fact is he did drop that style.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Ahh, well I appreciate for you actually showing me than just talking, haha.

Needless to say though, I kinda wish Nolan didn't listen to these few complaints(if that is indeed the reason) and instead gave us over-choreographed fight scenes.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
About the only thing the movie got real flak about.
I'd say the fighting scenes and a lot of on-the-nose dialogue were the top two complaints.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

The fighting in Begins was good for what it was and in the context of the feeling was trying to convey..

the guys waiting to be hit bothered me in TDK, but everything else in those fights (the music the circumstance) made up for the sloppy execution.

TDKR improved a little but still wasn't perfect.

I think what annoys the most about the fighting was that everything in the films is so meticulously staged that you would expect the fights to measure up to that standard..

the5timechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
circa1981
Side-Kick

I've always thought the way the fights in BB were filmed was the better choice because it gave the illusion that Batman was lighting fast, which he most certainly is not in the sequels. But there definitely was in improvement in between TDK and TDKR.

circa1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #22
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

I've always been fine with the first shaky cam in the dockyard scene. I get what Nolan was trying to do with his whole "Batman is like the Alien in Alien" approach so we never really see him until he grabs Falcone.

The parking lot scene in TDK had great combat as did the final Prewitt Building sequence. The rest? Not so much, but they're still watchable.

The 1st Batman and Bane fight was fantastic, besides the obvious parts where you can tell that some hits weren't even connecting. I didn't really have any problems with the combat in Rises overall.

I'll say this, Nolan did a better job of convincing me that Batman can fight on-screen than any of the past films.

CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #23
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!

I also enjoyed the choppiness of the BB fights. Aside from Batman vs. Bane, everything in TDK and TDKR looked too staged and choreographed.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Ehh, I wouldn't say TDKR looked too choreographed. That mostly happened in TDK. The only things that looked off were when Batman entered the City Hall and the guy ran up to him, metaphorically asking to be punched while trying to only hit Batman with his gun and then the overly-choreographed cops vs LoS/criminals.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ehh, I wouldn't say TDKR looked too choreographed. That mostly happened in TDK. The only things that looked off were when Batman entered the City Hall and the guy ran up to him, metaphorically asking to be punched while trying to only hit Batman with his gun and then the overly-choreographed cops vs LoS/criminals.
This happens a couple of times in TDKR. Even in that rooftop fight sequence with Catwoman everyone tries to hit him conveniently ignoring the fact that they are holding guns

MAKAVELI25 is offline   Reply With Quote