The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #776
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

What will annoy me is if Luke Cage turns up as a C list!

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #777
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,273
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Can't say my interest in this series has been at level 10,but at least it'll be good to see Coulson back in action.

Human Torch is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #778
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,678
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Arrow and TWD are starting to push the limits. And don't underestimate how much money will be pored into this show..we're talking about something that has the potential to pull in upwards of 16-20 million views on a network like ABC with its pedigree, not to mention because it's a "nerdy" comic show the home media sales will be through the roof, along with all the other merchandising. Then there's syndication, where it should also be really successful thanks to the all ages accessibility the show will have. We're talking a certified money printing monster here. On top off all that they already have so many resources and stock CGI that they can use from the films that saving costs on effects won't be hard.
I don't doubt it'll be very successful, but Arrow and TWD are doing entirely practical effects. That's what allows them to do more action and actually sustained action scenes and keep the kind of production schedule a weekly show needs. That's not an option for SHIELD. The time just isn't there.

On the money issue, they're not going to reuse footage from the movies, both because of the distribution rights issues as well as it's tacky. They're not going to make a show that's going to be in the hole until the DVD's come out. If it's not profitable as it's coming out, then it will be cancelled before any syndication or merchandising can happen.

And even if it is by far the biggest and most successful scripted show of all time pulling in 20 million viewers a week, they're not going to spend that success breaking even trying to make an action show with movie-level special effects. They're going to get good character writing and use the CGI and other action to tell a good story that will keep those 20 million people tuning in week after week to see what happens next, regardless of if it looks cooler than last week or not. More cost effective, and has proven successful with Lost, Heroes, Spartacus, TWD and all the shows SHIELD aspires to be like.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #779
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I don't expect to see cameos from "the big guns" of the big screen; but I *do* expect to see comic-book cameos from a lot of C-list and D-list heroes and villains from the Marvel Universe.
Yeah, given Arrow's success with adapting some outside DC characters into its show, I would expect it too. I just hope they're not TOO adapted. After the MCU showed its ability to stick pretty closely to the comic book looks for its main heroes, it would be sad if the cameos in this show were all Arrow-ized.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #780
OB12
Side-Kick
 
OB12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,195
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Yeah, given Arrow's success with adapting some outside DC characters into its show, I would expect it too. I just hope they're not TOO adapted. After the MCU showed its ability to stick pretty closely to the comic book looks for its main heroes, it would be sad if the cameos in this show were all Arrow-ized.
I will be totally shocked if we do not get a good amount of references and appearances from the larger Marvel Universe. It seems like we will be following a group of largely made up SHIELD agents, but I believe that a lot of the interactions will be with established characters. I could see Hyrda and AIM playing a large roles and my guess is we will be introduced to a fair amount of street-level superheroes.

OB12 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #781
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,959
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
On the money issue, they're not going to reuse footage from the movies, both because of the distribution rights issues as well as it's tacky. They're not going to make a show that's going to be in the hole until the DVD's come out. If it's not profitable as it's coming out, then it will be cancelled before any syndication or merchandising can happen.
I didn't say reuse footage, I said use the CGI models designed for the films. Not the same thing. As for distribution rights, they've brought that up in interviews but they also said there's a good chance they will be able to use the models from the Avengers onwards. Also, we all know this won't tank so let's not even consider that as a possibility. It will get great ratings.

Quote:
And even if it is by far the biggest and most successful scripted show of all time pulling in 20 million viewers a week, they're not going to spend that success breaking even trying to make an action show with movie-level special effects. They're going to get good character writing and use the CGI and other action to tell a good story that will keep those 20 million people tuning in week after week to see what happens next, regardless of if it looks cooler than last week or not. More cost effective, and has proven successful with Lost, Heroes, Spartacus, TWD and all the shows SHIELD aspires to be like.
I didn't mean that it will average 20 million views an ep, though I do think the pilot itself will pull in at around that number. I'm expecting Big Bang Theory numbers around 14-16 million average.

And I agreed with you that the main draw of the series will be based around the characters and plot. I just think you're underestimating the production values that the show will have. You're using past precedents to categorize this show but this will be, by all means, an unprecedented show in itself. I'm not saying that the production values will movie-quality, not even close, but I do think they will be vastly superior to most shows on TV including the ones you listed. They will have to be really to pull off a good adaptation of SHIELD. That's not just for the action, it's for the setting in general.


Last edited by Mr. Dent; 11-20-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #782
Trimmings
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 286
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I came in here to see if the powers that be have alluded to just how connected this show will be with the movies, but I see they haven't. What would be acceptable to you guys?
I'd really like for them to pull a Coulson in the other direction. Get the most loved team member/hero or the most hated villain and transition them into the movies. Other than that, I'd only want to see cameos of Fury and Hill in the show and cameos of the prisons in the movies.

Trimmings is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #783
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer
 
Quasimod0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,708
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

-PLEASE be better than heroes-

__________________
Movies I have seen this year:
Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Quasimod0 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #784
OB12
Side-Kick
 
OB12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,195
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
I came in here to see if the powers that be have alluded to just how connected this show will be with the movies, but I see they haven't. What would be acceptable to you guys?
I'd really like for them to pull a Coulson in the other direction. Get the most loved team member/hero or the most hated villain and transition them into the movies. Other than that, I'd only want to see cameos of Fury and Hill in the show and cameos of the prisons in the movies.
I think the show should be heavily connected to the movies, in the sense that the movies provide context for the show. This is the world we are operating in, superpowered beings and aliens and everything that comes with the Marvel Universe. That said, it must be able to exist on its own in that the plot points don't have to necessarily impact or be impacted by the movies. This is why I think that if we are going to see Marvel heroes (and we are), they should be street-level. It works within the budget for a TV show and the storylines can be mostly independent of the movies, while still maintaining threads into the MCU.

Quote:
-PLEASE be better than heroes-
From a storytelling approach, I think I can agree. Heroes really fell apart after season 1. However, I'd be happy if the display of powers was done on this level. I thought flight, superstrength and several other powers were depicted pretty well.


Last edited by OB12; 11-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.
OB12 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #785
Trimmings
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 286
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
I think the show should be heavily connected to the movies, in the sense that the movies provide context for the show. This is the world we are operating in, superpowered beings and aliens and everything that comes with the Marvel Universe. That said, it must be able to exist on its own in that the plot points don't have to necessarily impact or be impacted by the movies. This is why I think that if we are going to see Marvel heroes (and we are), they should be street-level. It works within the budget for a TV show and the storylines can be mostly independent of the movies, while still maintaining threads into the MCU.
That's exactly what I'm thinking, especially the bold. If the show was running when Avengers came out, I'd really only want there to be one episode directly dealing with the cleanup.

On the other hand, I hope there are at least a few things from the show that add to the movies directly. Like, again if the show was running when the Avengers came out, I wouldn't mind seeing a street level hero that was established on the show (Luke Cage?) fighting off on the side of the NYC battle.

Trimmings is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #786
OB12
Side-Kick
 
OB12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,195
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
On the other hand, I hope there are at least a few things from the show that add to the movies directly. Like, again if the show was running when the Avengers came out, I wouldn't mind seeing a street level hero that was established on the show (Luke Cage?) fighting off on the side of the NYC battle.
Agreed. I would hope that the showrunners don't feel the need to constrain themselves. The best course of action would be to allow for the possibility that characters featured in the show could transition into the movies if the story called for it, or vice versa.

OB12 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #787
Trimmings
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 286
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
Agreed. I would hope that the showrunners don't feel the need to constrain themselves. The best course of action would be to allow for the possibility that characters featured in the show could transition into the movies if the story called for it, or vice versa.
Exactly. It'll probably be tricky for them to find the right amount of crossover, so I expect a few hiccups in the first season or two. What would almost completely kill the show for me though would be making an Avengers movie tie into the finale for a season. The characters should cross over, not the stories.

Do you know anything about the tv rights vs movie rights for characters? Could Reed Richards ever come in and help with some sciency stuff?

Trimmings is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #788
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmings View Post
Exactly. It'll probably be tricky for them to find the right amount of crossover, so I expect a few hiccups in the first season or two. What would almost completely kill the show for me though would be making an Avengers movie tie into the finale for a season. The characters should cross over, not the stories.

Do you know anything about the tv rights vs movie rights for characters? Could Reed Richards ever come in and help with some sciency stuff?
I'm not quite sure, but I assume that there is a difference between animation rights and live-action television rights.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #789
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,445
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I suspect they would avoid that, because even if its not explicitly in the contract, there would probably be grounds for a messy lawsuit.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #790
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 5,997
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

so let me get this straight, is agent coulson alive?

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #791
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Yes, Kevin Feige decided to go full devil-mode and ruin everything so Coulson is back

Chewy is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #792
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick
 
Joeyjojo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,500
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I thought the working theory was that the show's 1st season begins at some point before the events in TA. This would explain Coulson's liveliness.

Joeyjojo72 is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #793
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,190
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
I thought the working theory was that the show's 1st season begins at some point before the events in TA. This would explain Coulson's liveliness.

That's what some fans have posited, but officially there hasn't been any word on when the show is set. Personally, I favor the "Coulson Lives, haters!" theory, myself.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #794
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,463
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yes, Kevin Feige decided to go full devil-mode and ruin everything so Coulson is back
First rule of Hollywood: Never go full devil.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #795
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I hope they explain it with an LMD.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #796
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,190
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yes, Kevin Feige decided to go full devil-mode and ruin everything so Coulson is back
That one guy who thought that Feige was the devil with "666" tattooed on his forehead got banned. It's really too bad because I would have loved to read his reaction to Feige's "Showman of the Year" award.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #797
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,667
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Isn't Coulson's return Joss Whedon's fault?

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #798
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,785
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
I thought the working theory was that the show's 1st season begins at some point before the events in TA. This would explain Coulson's liveliness.
I always thouht the TV show would be a continuation of Item 47
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:



Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I suspect they would avoid that, because even if its not explicitly in the contract, there would probably be grounds for a messy lawsuit.
Are you talking about the actors suing or another creative party suing?

If your talking about TV actors suing, then Marvel can always renegotiate there contract before they decide to add a crossover plot point.

If you talking about another creative party suing then Marvel has pretty much avoided that. You can't get sued if you own the live action TV rights and the Movie rights. On top of that you to stack the deck in your favor by producing the TV series yourself and air it on your parent companies' Television station. If anyone where to sue it would be like taking cash out of one pocket and putting it in the other.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-25-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #799
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That one guy who thought that Feige was the devil with "666" tattooed on his forehead got banned. It's really too bad because I would have loved to read his reaction to Feige's "Showman of the Year" award.
Awww. RIP AB

Chewy is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #800
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,190
Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Isn't Coulson's return Joss Whedon's fault?

"Fault?" There is no fault involved in Coulson's return. Brilliant planning, perhaps, but fault, never.

xeno000 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.