The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #826
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread - Part 1

I found this while I was trying to search for info regarding the two actresses' abilities in speaking English, it's from a forum so I can't vouch for the veracity of the claims:

Quote:
I'm more worried about the acting abilities of Fukushima Rila and Okamoto Tao, both are models and that doesn't mean they are good actresses. Rila has done a bit of acting work but Tao has what I know never acted.
I think they were cast because of their english ability (even though I think a Japanese actress could have learned english for the part heck Nakatani Miki and Kimura Yoshino both speak english)
So I guess they both speak English fluently and I guess the worry is their acting ability?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #827
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Maybe they could follow the footsteps of Rebecca Romijn.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #828
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

That's what I was thinking. And Famke's too. Hopefully less so, Halle's (don't even mention that tabloid drama that she's embroiled in right now

Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #829
Project862006
Banned User

^so you want them to be less so than an oscar winner?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #830
Glutton
Side-Kick

Sorry,i didn't know where else to post this, LOL:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJz...layer_embedded

Last edited by Glutton; 11-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #831
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
I want them to follow in the footsteps of Mystique whose "mute" metamorph in X-men made a very memorable character on the franchise.

I want them to follow in the footsteps of Jean. Here's this supposedly "older" and taller (than the norm) actress and she made us believe no less than Wolverine and Cyclops could fall in love with her.

I don't want them to follow in the footsteps of Halle Berry, whose painful line deliveries (though that Toad/lightning line was not 100% her fault IMO), "I've been reduced to playing a black super hero" tirade on late night talk shows Pre-X-men turning to "I want a bigger role in your superhero sequel" Post-Oscar win. I don't want them to follow in the footsteps of Halle Berry whose now more infamous for her hit and run accidents (for which she only did community service!!) and musical chairs-type love-life and now baby daddy drama has became tabloid fodder.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #832
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
You do realize that Oscar's are actually bought, not necessarily earned???

I have no problems with Halle Berry, I think she is a good actress, but when people throw the "Oscar" word around as reasoning why I should think someone is good for a role, makes me laugh...

Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #833
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

it's funny how the only reports of people "buying" oscars tend to come from very sore losers when they actually happen...

I don't think Halle "bought" her oscar at all.. however, the oscar's are a place where someone might not deserve the award for that specific movie, but because they deserved one in years past. I'd believe Halle got an Oscar for the Academy trying to get more publicity over affirmative action, making that award year "groundbreaking" and "memorable" than Halle "buying" an oscar any day...

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #834
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

By bought I don't think Kelly means literally, she means how some studios throw millions of dollars into a campaign to get their actor or nominee votes by schmoozing the Academy and pushing out endless promotional material.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #835
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
By bought I don't think Kelly means literally, she means how some studios throw millions of dollars into a campaign to get their actor or nominee votes by schmoozing the Academy and pushing out endless promotional material.
you mean like nearly every campaign known on earth?

ultimately one can look at it any way they want. They can think money won the person the election (which i honestly don't actually think is the majority of the Academy... ) or a popularity contest (which i actually think is more practical)

but.. then again, majority of the time when i pick who's going to win the oscars... I usually get the majority right... most of the awards don't "shock me" by any means

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 11-25-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #836
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you mean like nearly every campaign known on earth?
I'm not sure what this reply means in context to what I posted, I'm merely saying that the performance often has nothing to do with winning, it's how much your studio presses palms and kisses ass. The year Kate Winslet won was a a prime example of this, the Weinsteins spent more than the other nominees combined to make sure she won. Kelly's point was that Oscar's aren't won by acting, they are like a political campaign, the issues matter less than who can sell themselves to voters.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #837
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I'm not sure what this reply means in context to what I posted, I'm merely saying that the performance often has nothing to do with winning, it's how much your studio presses palms and kisses ass. The year Kate Winslet won was a a prime example of this, the Weinsteins spent more than the other nominees combined to make sure she won. Kelly's point was that Oscar's aren't won by acting, they are like a political campaign, the issues matter less than who can sell themselves to voters.
see above, i added to it.

I think if anything it's more of a popularity contest.. and Winslet is a fantastic actress. But people are going to see things the way they want to see it... agreeing or disagreeing.

Just because someone want's to validate an actors ability with there Oscar and the other doesn't does not mean either is right or wrong in the matter

[=]
Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #838
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

I think if anything it's more of a popularity contest.. and Winslet is a fantastic actress. But people are going to see things the way they want to see it... agreeing or disagreeing.

Just because someone want's to validate an actors ability with there Oscar and the other doesn't does not mean either is right or wrong in the matter
Popularity contest is partially it for sure, but it's like a case of "Not what you know but who you know" that dominates Oscar outcomes hence Penn over Rourke.

I honestly think there are too many question marks over the Oscars to use them to validate anything.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #839
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
it's funny how the only reports of people "buying" oscars tend to come from very sore losers when they actually happen...

I don't think Halle "bought" her oscar at all.. however, the oscar's are a place where someone might not deserve the award for that specific movie, but because they deserved one in years past. I'd believe Halle got an Oscar for the Academy trying to get more publicity over affirmative action, making that award year "groundbreaking" and "memorable" than Halle "buying" an oscar any day...
I don't mean she wrote someone a check for it...

I mean those studios that put time and $$$$ into getting the best gifts, night outs, etc to the academy winners end up winning the big prizes. It has happened since the Oscars began...I'm not saying that Halle didn't deserve her Oscar, and others did, I am just saying that "having an Oscar" doesn't mean you are the best one for a part...

Am I going to say that Meryl Streep did not deserve any of her Oscars and they were all bought....hell no? : )

Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #840
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

I'm not saying someone's like or dislike of an actor is wrong...that is of course their opinion. But, when the validation of someone "right for a part" is that they have an Oscar? I think that is kind of a weak case to try and win. That's all....And yes, Kate Winslet is a phenomenal actress, my favorite in fact.... : )

Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #841
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Popularity contest is partially it for sure, but it's like a case of "Not what you know but who you know" that dominates Oscar outcomes hence Penn over Rourke.

I honestly think there are too many question marks over the Oscars to use them to validate anything.
Well... at the same time when people like Penn, Rourke, Winslett, Portman, Hathaway, etc... are all nominated or winners... (and all amazing actors imo) while Stallone, Arnold, and Nicholas Cage (who thankfully no longer seems to be getting nominated) who are reallly not good actors in this current time-span... I do think that says something.

The Oscars arn't off by any means.. nor are Oscar winners any more valid than Oscar Nominees imo. I think it's far more important to look at Oscar nominees as a whole than Oscar winners (like you said it's too much of a question mark... alot of factors go into the award winner, popularity, campaigning, how "out of the box" there performance is to what they've done before (honestly the only reason i think Jonah Hill was even nominated last year), how much they deserved it from there past, and yes.. acting ability, favor-ability in the role, and sometimes it all just comes down to peoples legitimate opinions)

basically.. there's something to say for those who are nominated (most of the time *looks at you jonah hill*) and one can at least say these are great actors.. (it's hard for me to usually argue that) the winner that year doesn't make them any better as a whole imo, and of course, there is countless underrated actors that have never and may never win an award.

But it's not far-fetched at all for someone to be wrong in validating an actor by there award. They did get nominated, they did win, and they do rightfully get some validation for that. Does it make them any more skillful? no, not really.. Oscar winners can still have flops, but at the same time you can at least put more eggs in their basket to count on.

[=]
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #842
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm not saying someone's like or dislike of an actor is wrong...that is of course their opinion. But, when the validation of someone "right for a part" is that they have an Oscar? I think that is kind of a weak case to try and win. That's all....And yes, Kate Winslet is a phenomenal actress, my favorite in fact.... : )
oh most definitely. there's gotta be much more of a factor than "well she's an oscar winner" Just like it drives me nuts when people suggest someone for a part just simply because they're a good actor.. being a great actor doesn't always mean you can make any part your own, and that you are completely versatile enough to play any part... very very few actors are truly that much of a chameleon.

It's like Anna Kendrick being up for Sharon Carter. Yeah, she's a fantastic actress, but she no where near embodies who i perceive the character.

[=]
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #843
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I don't mean she wrote someone a check for it...

I mean those studios that put time and $$$$ into getting the best gifts, night outs, etc to the academy winners end up winning the big prizes. It has happened since the Oscars began...I'm not saying that Halle didn't deserve her Oscar, and others did, I am just saying that "having an Oscar" doesn't mean you are the best one for a part...

Am I going to say that Meryl Streep did not deserve any of her Oscars and they were all bought....hell no? : )
it also reminds me of the wanting of Sigourney Weaver as Emma Frost.... is she a fantastic actress and could be entertaining in the role? Most certainly.. but is she the best choice to embody the character? hell no

[=]
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #844
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I think Sigourney would've made a fantastic Emma Frost.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #845
BMM
Side-Kick

Agreed.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #846
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I think Sigourney would've made a fantastic Emma Frost.
Too old for the role. And I hardly imagine Sigourney Weaver as a villain. If she's going to be in a X-Men movie, I imagine her being in the good side.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #847
BMM
Side-Kick

Then you haven't seen enough of her movies.

Last edited by BMM; 11-26-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #848
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
You're right. The only movies that I've seen from her so far are the Alien movies, Vantage Point, Wall-e and Avatar.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #849
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Shes far too old now to play Emma by her comic standards ... Could she play an aged emma (the films have already taken enough liberties as is) then yes. But again thats not what i said... I was talking about perfect or ideal (as in direct comic translation) and no shes not ideal at all in that context...

And before anyone brings up "galaxy quest" its almost been 15 years since they shot that film, and singer also wanted her as xaviers lover (gag me with a spoon)

Id much prefer her as cassandra nova than emma frost at this point

[=]
Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #850
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Shes far too old now to play Emma by her comic standards ... Could she play an aged emma (the films have already taken enough liberties as is) then yes. But again thats not what i said... I was talking about perfect or ideal (as in direct comic translation) and no shes not ideal at all in that context...

And before anyone brings up "galaxy quest" its almost been 15 years since they shot that film, and singer also wanted her as xaviers lover (gag me with a spoon)

Id much prefer her as cassandra nova than emma frost at this point
Why are you referring to any of this, as though people are suggesting it now? Singer wanted Weaver as Frost… 10 years ago. EnDzOn3 said she would have made a fantastic Emma Frost. I agreed. She would have made a fantastic Frost, and she would have been a much better choice than popular suggestions at the time. Ashley Hartman? Talk about gag me with a spoon. Like that would have stood the test of time.

Closed Thread