The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #401
batman44
Go Speed GO

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

You can tell MOS borrows elements from Flyby.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #402
TheWatcher
Dapper

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...Ira5bDTnKk4O/0

According to the man himself, Zach Synder wanted to keep the trunks.

Discuss.

-Christian Bale
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #403
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

You can tell MOS borrows elements from Flyby.
It's very obvious yes.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #404
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post

Discuss.
That's not what he says. It says that they tried to keep the trunks. So they played around with the design and ultimately came to the conclusion to lose the trunks.

“The costume was a big deal for me, and we played around for a long time,” Snyder says. “I tried like crazy to keep the red briefs on him. Everyone else said, ‘You can’t have the briefs on him.’ I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on."

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #405
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Yeah, the way I read that is he tried to come up with a version that looked better than what we have now and just couldn't do it. Not that if he had his say he would have trunks.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a better design than this new MOS suit. It's damn near perfect.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #406
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Yeah, the way I read that is he tried to come up with a version that looked better than what we have now and just couldn't do it. Not that if he had his say he would have trunks.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a better design than this new MOS suit. It's damn near perfect.
Interesting. My interpretation of the quote is Snyder, in a very diplomatic way, saying, "I wanted to keep the trunks but the execs who are paying told me to get rid of them. I tried a whole bunch of designs that would convince them otherwise, but they just weren't having it."

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #407
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Interesting. My interpretation of the quote is Snyder, in a very diplomatic way, saying, "I wanted to keep the trunks but the execs who are paying told me to get rid of them. I tried a whole bunch of designs that would convince them otherwise, but they just weren't having it."
I don't think any director is going to openly admit he didn't get his way -- especially not in the middle of filming. It was a sort of "hey guys I tried even though no one else wanted to, but this is better" type statement to me. Kind of throwing a bone to the sliver of the fanbase that was upset about losing the underwear.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #408
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
You know, after reading through it again, I can see how people could interpret it that way. Although, I think it could go either way.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #409
TheWatcher
Dapper

I read it like Compi did, that he wanted them to stay but the studio said no.

-Christian Bale
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #410
The Shield
It's really Happening!

I'd love to see those concept designs. But glad we have what we have.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #411
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post

Definitely. Aside from not knowing exactly how the colors and texture will look on film, I think it's the best Krypton-origin costume I've seen.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #412
Mike22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post

Discuss.
I understood this to mean that he truly wanted to keep the red briefs but he was so strongly opposed (studio folks) that he had no choice but to give in.
Quote:
Everyone else said, ‘You can’t have the briefs on him.’
Makes it seem like he was the only only one that wanted to keep them, and I strongly believe him, because we all know how faithful he really is.

Quote:
I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on.”
Goes to show his determination in wanting to keep them.
Quote:
“You come onto a project like this, and you hear about modernization and you hear about bringing things forward to today, and all you can do is hope that it’s going to look cool and different from
anything you’ve seen before,”
This pretty much tells me that they were never gonna let Snyder go with the classic version because he clearly states that he was pretty much told from the start to let go of the past and look forward, and that forward movement demanded changes.
Read between the lines people, it's all there.
I have a lot more respect for Snyder now.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #413
Super Kal
Side-Kick

i have a lot more respect for Snyder now hearing about how he wanted to keep the classic look... it's disgusting to hear the stupidity come from those around him.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #414
batman44
Go Speed GO

I would've loved for the trunks to stay, but I'm happy with the suit we got.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #415
Stoic
Ron Swanson Protege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
i have a lot more respect for Snyder now hearing about how he wanted to keep the classic look... it's disgusting to hear the stupidity come from those around him.
They didn't have a choice due to litigation. The trunks had to go. However, now that things are starting to go WB's way in the lawsuits we will likely see the return of Classic Coca Cola.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #416
Binker
Side-Kick

Guys, trunksless is anot wrong; in fact,it is the way to go: live with it.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #417
Super Kal
Side-Kick

apparently, Zack Snyder disagrees with you

Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #418
SuperAl
Superman's back!

would be interesting to see that on teh dvd as an extra. Designing the suit, show all the prototypes.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 AM   #419
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Because of the "Everyone else" comment it appears Snyder was pushing for the trunk. Doesn't really surprise me. I totally see Snyder being a traditionalist. Only an exec in a boardroom would mess that much with Superman's costume.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #420
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder
“I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
Goes to show his determination in wanting to keep them.
Yes. But commissioning “1500” design sketches, etc. - and considering each one of them - would be a colossal waste of time, effort and money if WB had issued (for legal reasons?) a “no trunks rule” from the get-go. My sense is that many options were on the table (including the trunks) and that, ultimately, the decision was made based on aesthetic criteria.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #421
fanboiii
disciple of truth

1500 designs and it still didn't work. No briefs is just better for a more modern, naturalistic look. Briefs immediately look costumey.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #422
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Briefs could of worked. They just thought this could work better. Batman is a man dressed up as a bat for crying out loud. Superman looked/looks no more ridiculous than most superheroes.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #423
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Briefs immediately look costumey.
And a skintight blue full body suit with a floor length red cape, red boots to the knee, and a huge S on his chest doesn't?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #424
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
And a skintight blue full body suit with a floor length red cape, red boots to the knee, and a huge S on his chest doesn't?
Hah, I love it when you leap out of the shadows

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 11-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #425
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I love the suit, and glad the trunks are gone. Suit looks awesome. But it's nice to know Snyder tried to incorporate them.

Closed Thread