The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #76
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen Return for Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Maybe they'll say that continuity has already been messed up because someone has already time travelled within the films without them being aware of it. So rather than seeing a future traveller going back and then potentially disrupting the timeline, maybe someone already has done that all this time but we just don't know it yet. Perhaps Cable or whoever will look at all the events of the films on a screen and wonder why nothing seems to match up.
It could work if, before they time travelled in the future, the X-Men (and whoever was with them) became aware that several timelines existed (either a machine detected the timelines, or a mutant like Destiny sensed them), and there was the risk that whoever travelled back would end up in the wrong timeline.

Bingo! I've sorted it!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #77
The_Shadow
Side-Kick

I was randomly looking at Xmen tats on google and saw this news. Awesome timing.

I personally liked X-3, I just bought it today on Bluray for 7$.

They could go either way with leaving X-3 in or out of the loop. If they to leave it in, some thing will have to be left out, as in the Danger Room scene with the Sentinals. If Sentials are featured in DOFP, how would they have knowledge of them in X-3. Obviously a small detail that would easily be overlooked though.

Really hope this movie is focused on the FC cast instead of the oldies.

The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #78
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

It seems actually a bit ridiculous to have to come up with a plot (or rather use an existing comic plot device which was never intended for this purpose) to sort out continuity issues that exist purely because Fox haven't bothered to stick to any proper consistency in all their films and now they're trying to rectify their mistakes to move forward

It's like creating a plot device in Avengers 2 to explain why Rhodey looks different in IM 1 and 2, and Banner looks different in TIH and The Avengers. Except that there that's just recasts and they're still consistent with each other. But it's almost as silly as that.

I wish they were just using the plotline because they wanted to and not to try to sort themselves out.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #79
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Irregardlessly, you can be damn sure that the time travel stuff wont make a lick of logical sense. Sooo sick of this premise in tv/movies/comics (only "AI run amok" is more overused).

That said, I will be there opening week, barring terrible reviews. To me, X-2 is a master class in editing and its in my top 5 SH movies. With a good script, I have faith in Singer. Plus, Im actually curious to see if they can sort out all the continuity issues in one movie (this is the real reason they're doing time travel btw). Vee shall zee.

I really miss Rebecca Romijn as Mystique. Shes not a great actress or anything, but I think she was basically perfect in that role. Jen Lawrence is beautiful and talented, but she looked very odd in the makeup and just didnt bring much to the character. Miscast, but there can certainly improve on things and maybe I will change my mind. Characterization-wise, there is absolutely no continuity between the FC Mystique and the X123 version. Very different people, and not just the different actors appearances.
In the writer's defense, Mystique joining the Brotherhood and all laid the groundwork to her becoming who she is in the future films. It does make her seem like a cold hearted b**** for almost killing Xavier, though now that I think about it.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #80
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

As expected as this news was, it's great that it has finally been announced.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #81
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Oh snap. I just rewatched that scene. For the longest time, I thought McCoy was anti-mutant in that scene. I had no idea he was being sarcastic, but it makes sense. My fault, guys.
No worries man.

New York Mag is getting in on the fun. On their reporting on Stewart and McKellen's return to the franchise, they ask: Are you #TeamFassAvoy or #TeamStewKellen?

I'm definitely #TeamStewKellen

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #82
psyonic
X-Man

I didn't expect FC Mystique to become OT Mystique in First Class right away but by the end she had already ditched her clothes, I am willing to bet she will be more like her OT personality in DoFP. I just want her X1 and X2 voice back. I don't think she had it in X3.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #83
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
It seems actually a bit ridiculous to have to come up with a plot (or rather use an existing comic plot device which was never intended for this purpose) to sort out continuity issues that exist purely because Fox haven't bothered to stick to any proper consistency in all their films and now they're trying to rectify their mistakes to move forward

It's like creating a plot device in Avengers 2 to explain why Rhodey looks different in IM 1 and 2, and Banner looks different in TIH and The Avengers. Except that there that's just recasts and they're still consistent with each other. But it's almost as silly as that.

I wish they were just using the plotline because they wanted to and not to try to sort themselves out.
It's not comparable to Rhodey and Banner being recasted. The X-Movies have killed off characters and X3 made drastic changes in the universe. DoFP will need to explain things like Professor X being alive and Magneto having his abilities back.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #84
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
I didn't expect FC Mystique to become OT Mystique in First Class right away but by the end she had already ditched her clothes, I am willing to bet she will be more like her OT personality in DoFP. I just want her X1 and X2 voice back. I don't think she had it in X3.
Are you talking about the dual-voices Mystique had? If so, I agree.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #85
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

I think DOFP could be like Abram's Star Trek in that temporal alterations "fixes" the continuity issues (one hopes, at least).

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #86
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
No worries man.

New York Mag is getting in on the fun. On their reporting on Stewart and McKellen's return to the franchise, they ask: Are you #TeamFassAvoy or #TeamStewKellen?

definitely #TeamStewKellen no contest....and also #TeamJanMan

SterlingDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #87
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Are you talking about the dual-voices Mystique had? If so, I agree.
Yeah it was like .. echoing and robotic, don't know how to describe it really.. lol

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #88
The_Shadow
Side-Kick

Definitely #TeamFassAvoy for me, but theres nothing wrong with #TeamStewKellen

The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #89
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

I wonder how many parallels this storyline is going to have to Abram's Trek reboot?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #90
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Yeah it was like .. echoing and robotic, don't know how to describe it really.. lol
I always liked that it sounded like she had more than one voice, because she was always changing it for her different forms.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #91
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Right now, I'm hoping this movie isn't some whacky time-travel escapade, Charles and Erik's Excellent Adventure. I want more so something where each set of X-Men fight a parallel battle in different times. But of course, I know that each set of mutant leaders will come face to face eventually in the movie.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #92
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I'm still sticking to my theory that this movie will most likely not be able to fix the continuity and if it will, it will probably be some contrived or forced plot point that won't make much sense but will make us fans say "Well, it doesn't make much sense but at least the continuity was now fixed so let's just roll with it". I could be wrong about DOFP but my gut feeling and my observation of Fox's past experience with the X-Men franchise doesn't give me much hope.

I find it hilarious how Fox wants to connect their X-Men films with the other Marvel properties they own when they can't even connect their own X-Men films together.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #93
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
It's not comparable to Rhodey and Banner being recasted. The X-Movies have killed off characters and X3 made drastic changes in the universe. DoFP will need to explain things like Professor X being alive and Magneto having his abilities back.
You're missing the point of my post. I know it's not comparable. I'm saying that if Marvel were to come up with a plotline to explain the difference in appearance in 2 Rhodeys or Banners, which is attributable purely to a change in cast member and not anything internal within the story, that would be ridiculous.

However, it's even more ridiculous with X-Men, because all their problems aren't something internal either but all to do with bad writing, lack of consistency, etc - in other words mistakes or missteps that the production team made. It's not that Days of Future Past is merely being used because they want to do that story, but because everything has become so convuluted that they are almost forced to do something like that in order to sort their mess out in order to move forward.

There's a difference with if that plotline had been planned, because then it would merely seem as if everything has been set up that way. Now, because of all the continuity problems, people are likely to interpret this plotline as that Fox are effectively admitting that they're in such a mess that they're taking drastic measures to fix everything, even if it means spinning this time travel yarn and then doing away with certain realities so that they're erased from continuity.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #94
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

Great news! I said it before and I'll say it again, I think Patrick's Xavier will be the time traveler, i think he'll transfer his mind back into his younger self and I think James' Xavier having knowledge of the future will be trying to stop the events of the future from happening.

I stronly believe this film will take place either before X1 or inbetween X1 /X2, Singer has already said he really doesn't care much for TLS nor Origins

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #95
Piz
Blackbird Fly Away

Quote:
Yeah, I miss that voice also. I think she had it when she was being interrogated in X-3, but I can't remember. In First Class it could be that she was ashamed of the voice and tried her best to hide it, but it doesn't explain why she didn't use it in the end. It could be that that part of her mutant ability is something that she had to grow into as well as her extreme flexibility... That's not really something that they really need to dig into explaining, but I would love if that voice returned also.

"I dare you to take control. 'Cause empty are hands and bruised are the souls of those who show no resistance... those who are weak below. We are the DISENCHANTED, who die with each passing day. No one here understand us." - Alter Bridge
Piz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #96
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
No worries man.

Do I have to chose?!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #97
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Flare View Post
Great news! I said it before and I'll say it again, I think Patrick's Xavier will be the time traveler, i think he'll transfer his mind back into his younger self and I think James' Xavier having knowledge of the future will be trying to stop the events of the future from happening.

I stronly believe this film will take place either before X1 or inbetween X1 /X2, Singer has already said he really doesn't care much for TLS nor Origins
Show us the proof please.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #98
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Hmmm I don't know if this good or not.

I hope they don't ignore X3.

"Will you control that power or let it control you." - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #99
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Stewart's involvement is the one I'm most curious about, at this point. How does his Xavier fit into all of this?
Well Xavier could be from the alternate Days Of Future Past timeline.

If the event that happens in the 1960s creates two different timelines. The first timeline being the original one which is the original X-Men Trilogy and the second timeline which is the Days Of Future Past timeline.

In the Days Of Future Past timeline none of the events from the Singer and Ratner X-Men movies took place so characters that died, depowered, ect may still be alive and vice versas.

With Xavier we might get a Wolverine and The X-Men or X3 type thing where he transfers his consciousness or someone elses into another body.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #100
Silvermoth
Avenger

Yay! I can't wait to see this movie! Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart together again! Bros before Brotherhood!

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote