Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Or The Avengers.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #427
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
No, that's for The Amazing Spider-Man to win, lol.
Huh? So you don't think TDKR has more chances to win stuff at the MTV Movie Awards than at the Oscars

SHH. You owe us your livelihood.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #428
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Huh? So you don't think TDKR has more chances to win stuff at the MTV Movie Awards than at the Oscars
MTV Movie Awards is full of winners that seems to be the consensus of what tweeners would want to win, so no, I highly doubt a movie like TDKR will win.

Especially when Twilight won Best Film in the same year TDK was in the running.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 11-24-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #429
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh

Quote:
MTV Movie Awards is full of winners that seems to be the consensus of what tweeners would want to win, so no, I highly doubt a movie like TDKR will win.

Especially when Twilight won Best Film in the same year TDK was in the running.
lolol it's OK to get an MTV Movie Award, and even ASM will probably get one. Yes, Breaking Yawn will surely win Best Movie. All I'm saying is that TDKR has more chances of scoring more Astronauts or Popcorn Bags or whatever they give out at those nowadays than Golden Statues from the Academy. I think the cinematography in TDKR is stunning, so I'd say it has good chances for an Oscar there.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #430
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Cinematography?

Do you even know the categories for the MTV Movie Awards? Lol.

Best Film(which Twilight has won every year since the first film was released), Best Male Performance, Best Female Performance, Breakthrough Performance, Best Comedic Performance, Best Music, Best On-Screen Transformation, Best Gut-Wrenching Performance, Best Kiss, Best Fight, Best Cast, Best On-Screen Dirtbag, Best Hero as well as Awards for...Generation and Trailblazer, lol.

Yah...I foresee TAS-M getting some awards for sure. The target demo fits MTV's crowd.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #431
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh

Quote:
Cinematography?

Do you even know the categories for the MTV Movie Awards? Lol.

Best Film(which Twilight has won every year since the first film was released), Best Male Performance, Best Female Performance, Breakthrough Performance, Best Comedic Performance, Best Music, Best On-Screen Transformation, Best Gut-Wrenching Performance, Best Kiss, Best Fight, Best Cast, Best On-Screen Dirtbag, Best Hero as well as Awards for...Generation and Trailblazer, lol.

Yah...I foresee TAS-M getting some awards for sure. The target demo fits MTV's crowd.
Er, perhaps you need to go back and re-read my post my lad. I mentioned Cinematography for the Oscars, not the MTV Movie Awards. For those, I think TDKR could win Best Female Performance, and Best On-Screen Transformation (for you know who )

Last edited by I Am The Knight; 11-24-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #432
Happy Jack
Iconographer

At this point, winning an MTV Movie Award is almost a bad thing. It's a joke.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #433
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Life of Pi, The Master, Zero Dark Dirty and Django Unchained being nominated over TDKR would be a joke IMO.
I love TDKR, but it's not half the film The Master is....and Zero Dark Thirty looks like it will be better than TDKR too. Django could be also, though its close. Also all three of those are more "Academy" type films that TDKR.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #434
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Er, perhaps you need to go back and re-read my post my lad. I mentioned Cinematography for the Oscars, not the MTV Movie Awards. For those, I think TDKR could win Best Female Performance, and Best On-Screen Transformation (for you know who )
Ahh, my bad on that one. When I'm getting close to logging out on here, I don't read any posts I'm replying to correctly or what I'm even typing as I'm too focused on logging out and jumping in bed, haha. You mentioning cinematography for the Oscars went right over my head.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #435
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
I love TDKR, but it's not half the film The Master is....and Zero Dark Thirty looks like it will be better than TDKR too. Django could be also, though its close. Also all three of those are more "Academy" type films that TDKR.
the master was good but its my least fav of pta's films and doesnt do its job nearly as well as tdkr does its. I would only nominate it for cinematography, actor, and supporting actor, but the movie on a material level isnt as engaging as it should have been. Out of all the oscar contenders that have come out I think its the only one for me that wasnt as good as I thought it would be. its not as good as the sum of its parts, and it seemed to loss momentum soon after it released. cant really speak on zero dark thirty. ill just say the trailers interesting, but nothing makes the hair on my as stand up in it.

4. Lego Movie
5. Noah
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #436
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Are these "For Your Consideration" posters legit?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #437
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Are these "For Your Consideration" posters legit?

Nope, they were debunked recently.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #438
batfreakforever
A real fan

it would be cool if tdkr won an oscar. Just to give my mates another reason to get them to watch tdkr.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #439
neemer5
Side-Kick

Are there still going to be ten Best Picture nominees? If so, TDKR HAS to be nominated. It won't win. Nor should it. But keeping politics in mind, the reason they went with ten Best Picture nominees is because TDK didn't get the nom. In an ideal world, in addition to the technical/fx awards, there would be a nom for Ann Hathaway, Christopher Nolan and maybe even Michael Cain. None of those will happen. Anyone thinking that Cotillard or Hardy deserves noms is just nuts. Like a reviewer said: Vin Diesel may as well have been Bane. And I'm sorry, but Cotillard was the weakest part of the film.

The biggest unknown is how the Colorado shootings will affect the awards show and TDKR's chances. It's a tragedy with some unfortunate ripples.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #440
Robin91939
Master Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by neemer5 View Post
Are there still going to be ten Best Picture nominees? If so, TDKR HAS to be nominated. It won't win. Nor should it. But keeping politics in mind, the reason they went with ten Best Picture nominees is because TDK didn't get the nom. In an ideal world, in addition to the technical/fx awards, there would be a nom for Ann Hathaway, Christopher Nolan and maybe even Michael Cain. None of those will happen. Anyone thinking that Cotillard or Hardy deserves noms is just nuts. Like a reviewer said: Vin Diesel may as well have been Bane. And I'm sorry, but Cotillard was the weakest part of the film.

The biggest unknown is how the Colorado shootings will affect the awards show and TDKR's chances. It's a tragedy with some unfortunate ripples.
The Best Picture field will be anywhere from 5-10 films and depends on a percentage of votes from the voters to "stay alive" for nomination... It's a long, convoluted process.

I agree that if the field is expanded to 8-10 then The Dark Knight Rises should get a nomination as it was its predecessor that changed the way the Academy nominated Best Pictures as well as it being a fine film.

As far as Hathaway -- she'll be fine taking home her gold statue for her work on Les Miserables. Michael Caine did wonderful work in this film -- but just as with The Dark Knight in which Oldman as well as Eckhart gave powerhouse performances... he will go unreconized. I don't foresee a Nick Nolte from Warrior type of surprise here (I totally would be for it, as I was with Nolte).

As far as Hardy as Bane. Seriously, guy? I agree, it's not near nomination level work, especially in an acting year this deep, but it is far from a standard performance. He's not simply a guy with a mask that anyone could have done. Outside of the physicality, Hardy brought a very interesting pattern of speech to the character, and intensity to his eyes as well as complete expressiveness through his eyes. He developed a phenomenal cadence to his voice and walk that were all choices that another actor (especially a Vin Diesel) wouldn't or couldn't have made. It's a special performance.

Marion, again, they are only "for your consideration"ing her for the sake of appearance. You can't push the whole cast and omit your only supporting female. Her death was bad. I'll give that to you, hands down. But there was really nothing about her acting in the rest of the film that was anything short of solid. You may not have liked her character, but on the whole, she did well with the part that was written for her, maybe even elevating it.

As far as Colorado -- this country is stupid. They have the shortest attention span on the planet. I say this as a very patriotic American. But -- remember when catching Kony was all of the rage? Then The Hunger Games came into theaters and everyone forgot. Then the Colorado Shooting happened... But then there was a Hurricane, an Election, a World Series and a few Lohan arrests and this country just forgets these things that they cared SO MUCH ABOUT on the day that it happened, and lets it slip into history. I'm glad that YOU are worried about what effect it will have on the minds of the voters -- because it shows that there are people out there who have kept it in their thoughts... but for many it's like "oh man, I remember that! That feels like so long ago," when it was an event that rattled them less than six months ago. Sad.

But as far as the film goes. I think it will be nominated for the technical awards it deserves. No acting awards. It should nab a cinematography nomination. It has a slim chance at a Best Score nomination and an even slimmer chance at a Best Director nod (tough class with Ang Lee, Ben Affleck, Tom Hooper, Steven Spielberg, Kathryn Bigelow, David O. Russell, Quentin Tarantino, and Paul Thomas Anderson) for an acknowledgement of the whole trilogy for Nolan. However, if Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, or Inception didn't get him a nod -- I don't think anything could. Depending on the Best Picture field, it could eek out a nod there, which would be like winning.

-R

Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #441
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:

this quote almost makes me want to throw up. no. just no.

Free Original Music
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #442
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Hathaway will be nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Les Miserables, so does this mean she can be nominated for Best Actress for TDKR as well?

Im not sure how the nomination system works when it comes to noms in different categories.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #443
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

Those two sentences alone.....

If you aren't aware by this, Hardy has been given much praise for portraying this character while wearing his mask when he excelled the part by using his physicality and how he 'spoke' through his eyes. To say Vin Diesel can do exactly the same isn't aware of how bad Diesel is and how great Hardy is as an actor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
I agree that if the field is expanded to 8-10 then The Dark Knight Rises should get a nomination as it was its predecessor that changed the way the Academy nominated Best Pictures as well as it being a fine film.
Agree.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #444
Ken-Kaniff
Blue Steel!

I think it was a great movie, my favorite of the trilogy, but OSCAR?? Come on!

Even if it would have been a PERFECT movie, I don't think they would have ever nominated a comic book movie, you guys dream too much!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #445
Ant-LOX
Bathman

TDK cleaned up at the Oscars, why would this not do the same?

TDKR will take a handful of tech awards, and will get a few actor nods along the way. I don't care or expect them to win, but it would be cool.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #446
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

It won't get any acting nods...

It's tech awards all the way.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #447
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-Kaniff View Post
I think it was a great movie, my favorite of the trilogy, but OSCAR?? Come on!

Even if it would have been a PERFECT movie, I don't think they would have ever nominated a comic book movie, you guys dream too much!
The Dark Knight is the reason why The Dark Knight Rises could be nominated for Best Picture. Expanding the number of nominees is solely due to TDK not being nominated for the Oscars back then, so it's very much possible that TDKR could be nominated. Will it win? Highly doubt that with films like Argo, Lincoln and The Master, all three films that I find to be better than TDKR for 2012, but being nominated will make me feel better just because TDK got cheapened out, so TDKR feels like it should deserve its spot as a nomination.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #448
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I still don't see any major nods for Rises.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #449
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I sure hope it does. It'll be the pinnacle to wrap this entire trilogy with a bow to finally see Nolan's trilogy been given credit and its due when it should have happened four years ago. Needless to say, TDKR deserves it and I believe BB did as well, but I can be honest to myself when knowing that TDK is the better critically acclaimed film of the trilogy but it was looked over except for Ledger's Joker.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #450
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Even if they expanded the number of Best Picture nominees because of The Dark Knight, the people in charge of that decision are not the ones that are voting. The people that voted dont give a frack about The Dark Knight. But this is not The Dark Knight. Its The Dark Knight Rises. The Dark Knight Rises do not deserve any major nominations.