The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ideas on how to achieve time travel

Actually, I've thought about it again and I don't think I want the time-traveler to be an antagonist. I'd much rather have the Brotherhood be the ones that are causing the event in the past.

I prefer the time-traveler to just be a cameo and to basically just strike the match that ignites the rest of the story.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Though I doubt this would ever happen,I think it would be interesting if Jean in X3 didn't kill scott,but sent him into another time. A lot of what happened to him went unanswered so I think that would be cool. Perhaps she knew something about the future that would happen down the road and mustered enough humanity to send scott to stop it?
Just my thought.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #28
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

I personally liked how W&Xmen series had Xavier using a damaged Cerebro to communicate w/the team, so what if Jean (Famke) or another powerful telepath, used cerebro on the time traveler and had their mind, travel back in time to there younger self? It'll be great use for Cerebro, since i have a feeling we won't be seeing it in the sequel if this film is set a couple of yrs after.

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #29
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Flare View Post
I personally liked how W&Xmen series had Xavier using a damaged Cerebro to communicate w/the team, so what if Jean (Famke) or another powerful telepath, used cerebro on the time traveler and had their mind, travel back in time to there younger self? It'll be great use for Cerebro, since i have a feeling we won't be seeing it in the sequel if this film is set a couple of yrs after.
Yeah I feel more should have been or should be said about Cerebro. It was a major player in X1,had a big role in X2,yet in X3 nothing of it's ramifications at the hands of Striker was mentioned.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #30
neemer5
Side-Kick

I think that time travel is very cheesy, and the way it is used in the comics that the film will be based on is especially cheesy. But it can be done correctly. Look at how Star Trek did it, and I think we have a recipe for a successful integration.

Remember the rumor that JFK's assassination would be the beginning of the sequel? Do you guys think that they will still do it, considering the comic storyline is based on the murder of a senator?

neemer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #31
merbass
Side-Kick

Perhaps it's Rogue who absorb the ability to time travel from the dying mutant and decide to go back in time on her own ? After Iceman is killed ? Perhaps she could encounter Gambit and found her true love ?

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #32
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
Perhaps it's Rogue who absorb the ability to time travel from the dying mutant and decide to go back in time on her own ? After Iceman is killed ? Perhaps she could encounter Gambit and found her true love ?
I love the idea of Rogue in a more pivotal role as the time traveller. She could absorb the powers of Trevor Fitzroy, who is (as in the comics and cartoons) working for the Sentinels. The future X-Men track him, ambush him and there is a fight in which he is fatally injured, then Rogue absorbs his powers and memories, as someone else suggested earlier.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #33
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
They still have to explain why Rogue got her powers back and if they just ignore X3 like it didn't happen and thats just... bad storytelling for her character.

And if Rogue returns, I don't think she will have such a big role, especially the *one* that has to time travel to the past to save the future. I just don't see it.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #34
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

even If Bryan Singer Isn't allowed to outright throwout the Last Stand they aren't going to dwell on that movie.Last scene showed Magneto's powers returning so easy for them
to say In Interviews the cure was only temporary.Also remember Lauren shueller Donnor
publicly said she disagreed with Brett Ratner's decison to have Rogue take the cure.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Rogue could be from the parallel Days Of Future Past timeline so the stuff in the X1 to X3 timeline may not of happened or happened differently.

I doubt Anna Paquin will be back for anything larger than a cameo given that she just gave birth to twins a couple months ago and has another season of True Blood to start filming.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #36
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Rogue could be from the parallel Days Of Future Past timeline so the stuff in the X1 to X3 timeline may not of happened or happened differently.

I doubt Anna Paquin will be back for anything larger than a cameo given that she just gave birth to twins a couple months ago and has another season of True Blood to start filming.
Since the cast of the film is likely going to be massive, I don't think she will have much screentime compare to old&youngProfessor X, old&youngMagneto and Wolverine. I think there's an easy way for Anna Paquin to shoot her scenes in just weeks and they could use a double stunt if she is going to be in a lot of scenes.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #37
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Can't Nightcrawler or Azazel travel through time with their powers?

GoldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
psyonic
X-Man

We never saw Jean use cerebro when she was at her strongest. If she is alive in the DoFP timeline maybe she can pierce through time and space, which is giving Rachel's role to Jean.

Nightcrawler and Azazel actually teleport to another dimension then from there teleport to their destination. Point A to B to C. Doesn't affect time, just space.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #39
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
Can't Nightcrawler or Azazel travel through time with their powers?
Time travel is not included in their mutant ability.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #40
SuperFerret
Class Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
It can be cheesy if they use some lame time device. That's why I'm looking for interesting ideas on how to have it introduced. It also might have an "eye-rolling" effect on the audience since it's like adding another hard-to-believe element into a movie that already has weird super-powered mutants.
Why, for the love of every god ever, would people who are WILLINGLY PAYING to go see a movie about "weird super-powered mutants" roll their eyes at time travel, when (1) they're already expecting to suspend their disbelief to the point that they accept mutants, and (2) time travel is a widely used science fiction concept that it (as well as super-powered people) just isn't weird anymore?

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #41
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Why, for the love of every god ever, would people who are WILLINGLY PAYING to go see a movie about "weird super-powered mutants" roll their eyes at time travel, when (1) they're already expecting to suspend their disbelief to the point that they accept mutants, and (2) time travel is a widely used science fiction concept that it (as well as super-powered people) just isn't weird anymore?
I think it's because people don't want to stretch the reality bubble too much.

By making a world in which the only totally unreal thing is superpowered mutants, then it's more grounded than if everything in that world is sci-fi.

It's a good point for debate. A mutant who is able to time travel might be one way to do it. On the other hand, a machine might work as well, since they already have Cerebro and Magneto's mutant-making machine from X1.

It could go either way. Looper managed to incorporate a time machine with no explanation at all; it was just a MacGuffin. But they might do something different.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #42
Great Mind(s)
Broken

My idea has Jean Grey using her Phoenix powers to send old Xavier's mind back in time to his younger body. Young Xavier and Magneto will have a temporary truce and rebuild Cerebro. When Charles tests it out, his future mind merges with his younger self and he's all "Aaaggh!!"

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

time travel is awesome.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #44
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
time travel is awesome.
It is! It brings a lot of interesting questions and possible scenarios.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #45
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
My idea has Jean Grey using her Phoenix powers to send old Xavier's mind back in time to his younger body. Young Xavier and Magneto will have a temporary truce and rebuild Cerebro. When Charles tests it out, his future mind merges with his younger self and he's all "Aaaggh!!"
Not a bad idea at all!

The thing is, there really is no time-traveling element if they stick to the storyline from the books. It should be two different timelines with one character being transplanted in to the body of her/his younger self. If they use Wanda (Scarlet Witch) or Jean to do that then great but there should be no time travel.

I wonder who the character will be? Xavier like mentioned above? Will they stick with Kitty like the books or go their own way? And, what will be the event that they have to stop? Killing Senator Kelly isn't an option but killing Xavier probably will be in there.

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #46
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1 View Post
Not a bad idea at all!

The thing is, there really is no time-traveling element if they stick to the storyline from the books. It should be two different timelines with one character being transplanted in to the body of her/his younger self. If they use Wanda (Scarlet Witch) or Jean to do that then great but there should be no time travel.

I wonder who the character will be? Xavier like mentioned above? Will they stick with Kitty like the books or go their own way? And, what will be the event that they have to stop? Killing Senator Kelly isn't an option but killing Xavier probably will be in there.

Yeah, that could work. I think using Prof X in that manner like others have mentioned in WATX is the best way to go about it since both are around and cast. Have him warn himself essentially. As for time travel the 90s animated series did go about it differently and the films have taken a bit of influence from it in the past. No way to know for sure but Millar did say
Quote:
“You’ve got robots, you’ve got time travel, you’ve got superheroes – it’s got everything in one film… ”
Could be subjective though. Sending a warning or mind swapping to the past of a different timeline via superpowers could still be perceived as a means of timetravel imo.

Last edited by def28; 12-03-2012 at 04:56 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #47
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1 View Post
The thing is, there really is no time-traveling element if they stick to the storyline from the books. It should be two different timelines with one character being transplanted in to the body of her/his younger self. If they use Wanda (Scarlet Witch) or Jean to do that then great but there should be no time travel
that kinda limits who can be used then... if there going from the present to the 60's, the only characters that would be old enough to have a younger counterpart back then, are Xavier, Beast, Magneto, Mystique and Wolverine

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #48
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If time travel Is like the comic version by switching minds with younger self we are looking at 3 possibiltys.

1:Xavier
2:Wolverine
3:Mystique.

I have serious doudts Beast will be In future.And It Doudtful Magneto will be one to travel.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #49
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I just hope it's not Mystique.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #50
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

it might be interesting/an a new challenge for Jennifer, to play the older version of Mystique... though, once her mind was transplanted in to former body, she would probably just morph back into her adult body (unless she wanted to stay in disguise for some reason)

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote