Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #501
Figs
Banned User

Default Re: The Foreign Film Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
Yeah, I agree.
Damn, haven't seen you post in awhile. How have you been?

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #502
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Damn, haven't seen you post in awhile. How have you been?
Pretty good, working. I hope you're well, man

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #503
childeroland
Side-Kick

Anyone know when Cate Shortland's new one, Lore, gets a U.S. release?

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #504
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoyed Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #505
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

I have in my collection...

JCVD blu ray
District B-13 dvd

Seen the sequel to District B-13.

Can't wait to watch and cry to The Intouchables.

Yeah, French films I like.

I do have Versus though...that's a Japanese movie with zombies...but never seen all of it

Oh I have Lock out on dvd....does that count? Same with Transporter? Or my highlander season set dvds? Those aren't made by Americans...or are we purely talking about movies where English isn't the language?

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #506
childeroland
Side-Kick

Loved Yi Yi: A One and a Two
Looking forward to four hours of A Brighter Summer Day

Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #507
War Party
Ve vant ze money,Lebowski

It has been some time since I posted on these forums so who has any Asian film recommendations? Particularly anything released in the last year or two. I haven't been as adventurous in my movie watching as of late. Also it's nice to be posting again. Kinda missed this place and discussing films with some of my favorite people here. Assuming some of you still exist haha.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #508
Morning Root
Side-Kick

Nobody knows (Dare mo shiranai)
Spirited Away
All three of the Sissi films
L'Enfant
A Swedish Love Story
Pan's Labyrinth
Life Is Beautiful

Morning Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #509
childeroland
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Party View Post
It has been some time since I posted on these forums so who has any Asian film recommendations? Particularly anything released in the last year or two. I haven't been as adventurous in my movie watching as of late. Also it's nice to be posting again. Kinda missed this place and discussing films with some of my favorite people here. Assuming some of you still exist haha.
Nameless Gangster is a pretty good (if somewhat overlong) crime film. Unbowed is also pretty decent drama. The Yellow Sea is harrowing as f**k. Of course, I Saw the Devil. The Thieves is a pretty funny comedic heist film.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #510
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoyed A Brighter Summer Day.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #511
Crockett
With Teeth

Watched my first Fassbinder a few days ago, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. I'm impressed and you could see the love Fassbinder has for Douglas Sirk, I like the straightforward low-key theatrical style. Wide-shots and lost-lasting simple framing focused on facial expressions, so much is said but not in words, just the composition with objects such as tables, doorway etc making the characters seem so contained and constrained within the physical frame. Definitely looking forward to watch more from him.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #512
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Watched "Untouchables", great performances.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 11-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #513
War Party
Ve vant ze money,Lebowski

Watched JSA again. A completely underrated movie from Chan Wook Park that rarely ever gets talked about.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #514
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I read about upcoming Spainish movie Painless (2013) which is being called the new Pan's Labyrinth.

The screening was so well recieved Hammer Horror CEO Simon Oakes offered writer-director Juan Carlos Medina a job. The movie is co-written by Luiso Berdjo (REC)

Quote:
Set in Catalonia, Painless weaves two fantasy horror stories: in one, starting during the Spanish Civil War and running through to the '60s, an asylum attempts to rehabilitate children who feel no pain, by teaching them physical suffering.

In the second, in the present time, a brilliant neurosurgeon who needs a bone marrow transplant, discovers this dark past when he searches for his biological parents

Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #515
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Just rewatched "La Beaute du Diable" (Beauty and the Devil) by Rene Clair. It's a great film and one of the best Faust adaptations for the big screen, with a virtuoso performance by the fantastic Michel Simon as the devil.
If you like films like Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast or Children of Paradise you will like this one.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #516
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoying Billy Tang Hin Shing's Street Angels. Very dumb, goofy fun.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #517
childeroland
Side-Kick

Johnnie To's Life Without Principle. Nice use of crime drama to comment on the global financial crisis. Interesting slow burner.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #518
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Elite Squad 1 & 2 were both excellent.

Visualiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #519
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoyed Imamura Shohei's Vengeance is Mine.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #520
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Last month I watched -

SUBWAY 1985

Directed by Luc Besson - starring Isabelle Adjani, Christopher Lambert, and Jean Reno

I saw this at the theater here in Kentucky in 1986, at a theater that specialized in foreign, older, and indie films. It was the first Luc Besson film I saw, and what made me a fan of his.

Story -

Lambert is being chased through the streets of Paris by a car full of armed men. He crashes down into the subway system and embarks on a strange journey interacting with the varied people that work and live down there. You find out that he blew open the safe of a rich man and took something. The armed men have been sent to retrieve it and kill him. Isabelle Adjani is the rich man's wife who wants to negotiate with him to get whatever it was back while also making a major turning point in her life due to her association with him. The police force stationed down there are also looking for him and are represented by the world weary but resourceful older Inspector Gesberg and the young excitable Inspectors Batman and Robin (yes, that is what everyone calls them). In between evading the cops and hitmen, Lambert decides to start up a band from the various musicians he finds roaming around in the underground. (this includes the Besson favorite Jean Reno as the enigmatic "drummer").

I love this movie. Had it on VHS tape for decades and watched it every couple of years, last month found it on DVD (no extras).

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #521
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^
One of my favorite Besson films, with his 1st one "The Last Fight" ("Le Dernier Combat.") Jean Pierre Bacri is also great in it, as "Batman"

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #522
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
^
One of my favorite Besson films, with his 1st one "The Last Fight" ("Le Dernier Combat.") Jean Pierre Bacri is also great in it, as "Batman"
Neat. I have that on tape, haven't watched it in at least 20 years. I need to see if I can burn it to DVD.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #523
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

To whomever is interested, I highly recommend the early works of Bertrand Blier if you can get your hands on it and don't mind subtitles.
Namely "Going Places", "Get Out Your Handkerchiefs" (Best Foreign Film Oscar Winner),"Cold Buffet", "Too Beautiful for You" and "Menage." Very funny, daring, edgy and original movies.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #524
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
To whomever is interested, I highly recommend the early works of Bertrand Blier if you can get your hands on it and don't mind subtitles.
Namely "Going Places", "Get Out Your Handkerchiefs" (Best Foreign Film Oscar Winner),"Cold Buffet", "Too Beautiful for You" and "Menage." Very funny, daring, edgy and original movies.
Just added most of those to my Netflix cue. Going Places was the only one that is actually streaming. That director sure is a fan of Depardieu.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #525
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Just added most of those to my Netflix cue. Going Places was the only one that is actually streaming. That director sure is a fan of Depardieu.

Yeah Depardieu was kind of the DeNiro to his Scorsese. But the other guy he also used too Patrick Dewaere was a great actor too.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film: