The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Should Fox reboot Daredevil or make a sequel???
Reboot 200 64.10%
Sequel 82 26.28%
Who gives a F*** 30 9.62%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #101
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Re: Daredevil reboot: official discussion thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
He doesn't really need the ray gun though. His main schtick was his "touch of death" which made his victims feel intense cold, which can always be explained another way. But that said, his "ray gun" could easily be similar to the cosmic cube or the guns that Hydra were using in Captain America. They've already got all of that side set up with Marvel. Since DD occupies the same universe, they can always draw from that.
He started out as a guy with a ray gun who robbed people and used the gun to send people to another dimension for a limited time. DD fought him, the ray gun malfunctioned and then he became Death-Stalker and then gained his death touch ability, he gained that ability because his body was out out of phase with out dimension. I think a ray gun that sends people to other dimensions is a bit outlandish for a modern DD film, I wouldn't mind some sci fi elements, but anything that over the top. Bushwacker, Mr. Hyde and Purple Man have sci fi elements to them, but they are a bit more down to Earth then some random rich guy getting his hands on a ray gun that send people to another dimension. Its all about setting the proper tone, I thought the Captain America movie had too many sci fi elements that distracted from the story.

Again Death-Stalker has a lot of set up and he is not a fan favorite like Venom is, so no one will care about the set up with him.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #102
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Well Whiplash in Iron Man II wasn't exactly a fan favourite either, but they went with him. Marvel could make him a compelling villain. He has also fought Ghost Rider and DD at the same time, so if Marvel acquired Ghost Rider, he could be a potential opponent. And he's also fought the Avengers as well, so that fits in with their already established universe. And he also acquired his gloves from AIM, who have already been set up.

Also, the new Death Stalker encountered Cross Bones and was part of Villains for Hire (the villainous counterpart to Heroes For Hire).

So I think Death Stalker does fit in pretty well with the established MCU.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #103
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well Whiplash in Iron Man II wasn't exactly a fan favourite either, but they went with him. Marvel could make him a compelling villain. He has also fought Ghost Rider and DD at the same time, so if Marvel acquired Ghost Rider, he could be a potential opponent. And he's also fought the Avengers as well, so that fits in with their already established universe. And he also acquired his gloves from AIM, who have already been set up.

Also, the new Death Stalker encountered Cross Bones and was part of Villains for Hire (the villainous counterpart to Heroes For Hire).

So I think Death Stalker does fit in pretty well with the established MCU.
Whiplash didn't require the same amount of set up that Death-Stalker does, with Death-Stalker, you have introduce him as a rich guy with a ray gun that send people to another dimension that he uses to commit crimes because he is bored and then gets into a fight with DD, where the ray gun malfunctions and he becomes out of phase with our dimension. Then he is Death-Stalker. That is a lot of set up. Plus Whiplash was hardly the greatest villain to appear in a comic book movie.

As for the second Death-Stalker in Villains for Hire, we don't really know anything about her, so there isn't much to work with in a film. Just because Death-Stalker works well in the MCU, doesn't mean he would work well in a DD movie. What exactly would Death-Stalker do in a DD movie and would he connect with the over arching plot in regards to the Kingpin as a growing threat in the back ground?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #104
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
The problem with Purple Man is, he is a bit lazy and with his powers he doesn't need to gain a position of power in the city, he doesn't even need money, he just go into any store and ask people for whatever he wants. Purple Man's more ambitious schemes have been at the behest of super villains who are able to counter Purple Man's power and force him to do their bidding. Purple Man only messes with heroes now because he is bored and because he hates them for sending him to jail in the past. I'm not sure how you would write a movie with him as the main villain and how can you hint about the Kingpin in that movie?
I see. I use to read comics about 10 years ago (wanting to get back into it) and I remember one comic, although I don't remember what series, where all the villains are breaking out of Rykers while the Avengers are there and Purple Man nearly made Luke Cage kill some one.. So speaking as someone who hasn't read much to do with him or indeed DD, IMO Purple Man seems like an interesting villain with a fairly unique power. That is not to say that Kingpin or someone else wouldn't be interesting or anything.

But they could always write him somewhat differently in the movies. Make his motives different or something. They could take him back to his roots where he is just discovering his power and all the fun he can have with it. Make him a young, power hungry type who DD puts away and when he gets out, he gains his power and sets out to try find out who DD is and exact some revenge. If they take him back to the genesis of him becoming Purple Man he won't neccesarily be bored of what he can do, given as you say, he can pretty much do anything. Maybe he could also hold a grudge against the Kingpin and that's why he wants to usurp the Kingpins position. That way Kingpin can sit in the background... I dunno, obviously you guys know better than me if he would work or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
The problem with Taskmaster is, he just a hired gun and DD already has several hired guns in his rogues gallery. That's the problem, DD has more hired guns that want to work for someone else then masterminds who can be the Big Bad of the film.
Taskmaster could be working for Kingpin as, as you say, a hired gun. I picked Taskmaster 'cos I had a quick look on Wikipedia and, as I say, speaking as a non-comic reader/casual fan of DD, he doesn't seem to have very many villains you might put in a film.. And Taskmaster has a cool look and his power could lend to some interesting action sequences with DD.. Almost a Bullseye without doing Bullseye again. Or in the nature of having a shared universe they could always bring Crossbones back working as a hired gun, to help establish that DD, while been a "street level" hero fits in with all the other stuff...

I'm just throwing an idea out, like I say, you guys will know if it would work or not.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #105
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

maybe I missed the big press release - and if I did can some one link it for those of us who did - but HAS Dare Devil gone back to Marvel?

Last I read, it was to happen in October but I have not seen anything official about it...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #106
The Guard
Side-Kick

No love for Stilt Man?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #107
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
maybe I missed the big press release - and if I did can some one link it for those of us who did - but HAS Dare Devil gone back to Marvel?

Last I read, it was to happen in October but I have not seen anything official about it...
Well Marvel didn't seem to be too interested in getting the DD rights back from Fox, considering they tried to cut a deal with Fox to let them keep the rights to DD. Marvel may have just gotten the rights back and not announced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
I see. I use to read comics about 10 years ago (wanting to get back into it) and I remember one comic, although I don't remember what series, where all the villains are breaking out of Rykers while the Avengers are there and Purple Man nearly made Luke Cage kill some one.. So speaking as someone who hasn't read much to do with him or indeed DD, IMO Purple Man seems like an interesting villain with a fairly unique power. That is not to say that Kingpin or someone else wouldn't be interesting or anything.

But they could always write him somewhat differently in the movies. Make his motives different or something. They could take him back to his roots where he is just discovering his power and all the fun he can have with it. Make him a young, power hungry type who DD puts away and when he gets out, he gains his power and sets out to try find out who DD is and exact some revenge. If they take him back to the genesis of him becoming Purple Man he won't neccesarily be bored of what he can do, given as you say, he can pretty much do anything. Maybe he could also hold a grudge against the Kingpin and that's why he wants to usurp the Kingpins position. That way Kingpin can sit in the background... I dunno, obviously you guys know better than me if he would work or not.
Maybe, I actually like Purple Man, but I am not sure he could carry a whole film as the main villain. The problem is Purple Man is push over when his powers fail him, so what the climax of the film be? DD can take him out with one punch. He is kinda of a one trick pony. His cruelty, sadism and bouts of insanity can be interesting, but once his powers fail him, his number is up. Plus he is kinda smart, but not as smart as someone like Kingpin is. Purple Man is a punk, when you get down to it, his powers give him advantage that he uses to lord over others, but as soon as that advantage is gone, he's got nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Taskmaster could be working for Kingpin as, as you say, a hired gun. I picked Taskmaster 'cos I had a quick look on Wikipedia and, as I say, speaking as a non-comic reader/casual fan of DD, he doesn't seem to have very many villains you might put in a film.. And Taskmaster has a cool look and his power could lend to some interesting action sequences with DD.. Almost a Bullseye without doing Bullseye again. Or in the nature of having a shared universe they could always bring Crossbones back working as a hired gun, to help establish that DD, while been a "street level" hero fits in with all the other stuff...

I'm just throwing an idea out, like I say, you guys will know if it would work or not.
The thing is DD already has a lot of hired gun villains: Bullseye, Bullet, Elektra, Typhoid Mary, Bushwacker, etc. He really doesn't need to borrow hired guns from other rogues galleries when he already has a lot of them in his own rogues gallery. Half of DD's rogues gallery are professional killers or Psycho for hire types. Plus DD once fought an anti hero with powers similar to Taskmaster; Echo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
No love for Stilt Man?
Check this out: http://daredevil.dreamhosters.com/ttstilts.htm

Last edited by The Overlord; 11-26-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #108
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I dont think its nessicarily fair to say marvel didnt want DD back.... They just wanted Fantastic Four far more... Which is completely understandable

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #109
metaphysician
Side-Kick

And they weren't negotiating for the FF as a whole, just shared usage rights for certain FF supporting characters.

IMO, Marvel probably *does* want everything back. However, being seen as wanting them back would be counterproductive, as then everyone currently holding rights would be encouraged to hold them with a death grip in order to demand considerable payment. So, stay cool, focus on their own thing, maybe offer little deals here and there, but largely wait for someone *else* to come to the table.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #110
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And they weren't negotiating for the FF as a whole, just shared usage rights for certain FF supporting characters.

IMO, Marvel probably *does* want everything back. However, being seen as wanting them back would be counterproductive, as then everyone currently holding rights would be encouraged to hold them with a death grip in order to demand considerable payment. So, stay cool, focus on their own thing, maybe offer little deals here and there, but largely wait for someone *else* to come to the table.
Perhaps, but a willingness to trade some FF characters for DD, doesn't show a lot of enthusiasm for DD. Plus DD doesn't fit in with what Marvel has been doing so far in terms of movies. I think a dark DD would work better for the Silver Screen then a light hearted one. Heck I thought the Captain America movie was too light hearted, so much so that it didn't feel like it was set in WWII and Red Skull seems like a pale imitation of himself.

I also think DD is an odd place as a film franchise. The first film is almost 10 years old and not very memorable, so you need a movie that reintroduces the characters before you can move to the more meatier stories, like a gang war story and Born Again. So they have to have movie that reintroduces the characters to audience, that doesn't seem like a place holder for more interesting movies down the line. They also have set up the Kingpin, because the two sequels I suggested would have stories that involve Kingpin heavily. So if they don't use Kingpin, his presence should still be felt and the villain in the first movie has to be compelling and thematic in his own right, not just feel like a lame place holder for Kingpin. Owl on his own wouldn't be very interesting, IMO, he doesn't have a lot of great stories and putting him in a film before Kingpin would make him feel like a lame place holder for Kingpin.

Owl would work better in a gang war story, because you can contrast him with Kingpin and put DD in a moral predicament. The gang war between Owl and Kingpin is ripping the city apart, so DD whatever does will tip the favor in one side over the other, so in the end DD is choosing who will rule the underworld. No matter who wins, DD loses.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #111
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I think an ongoing cable tv series makes more sense than a movie. The Miller and Brubaker runs alone could supply several years of material. Should be cheaper than a Hulk show anyway.

As far as the movie goes, I don't see why it couldnt be relatively dark. one issue is that todays Hells Kitchen is a high rent area of Manhattan. By the early nineties it was being called Clinton. Theres really no need for a masked vigilante in that part of town. He may have to branch out a bit.

I was thinking that Disney doesnt really have an FX or AMC type cable channel. ABC or DisneyXD wouldnt work for a DD show.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 11-27-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #112
Project862006
Banned User

looks like joe carnahan's choice for DD was Joel Edgerton
https://twitter.com/carnojoe/statuse...w_p=tweetembed

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #113
Nelson/Murdock
Attorneys at Law

Meh. That's the second time I've been happy that Carnahan lost his shot.

Nelson/Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #114
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
I think an ongoing cable tv series makes more sense than a movie. The Miller and Brubaker runs alone could supply several years of material. Should be cheaper than a Hulk show anyway.

As far as the movie goes, I don't see why it couldnt be relatively dark. one issue is that todays Hells Kitchen is a high rent area of Manhattan. By the early nineties it was being called Clinton. Theres really no need for a masked vigilante in that part of town. He may have to branch out a bit.

I was thinking that Disney doesnt really have an FX or AMC type cable channel. ABC or DisneyXD wouldnt work for a DD show.
A TV show in the mould of Arrow may well work for Daredevil, dividing the show between Matt's cases as a lawyer and the work he does on them as Daredevil could be a successful formula for a TV show IMO.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #115
Jordacar
The Endless One

^Yes please! Daredevil on TV could be "The Wire" for superheroes.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #116
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Im not a fan of Arrow, but I agree that DD is a natural for a lawyer/vigilante procedural.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #117
TheWatcher
Dapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
looks like joe carnahan's choice for DD was Joel Edgerton
https://twitter.com/carnojoe/statuse...w_p=tweetembed
He would have been great.

Maybe if he doesn't get Starlord they'll consider him for the part of Matt.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #118
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I could totally see Edgerton as DD.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #119
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Can anyone confirm or deny if Marvel has Daredevil back now?

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #120
Project862006
Banned User

eh who knows all i know is DD will be collecting dust at marvel lol

Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #121
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Just like in Fox.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 AM   #122
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

I thought Daredevil was an underrated movie. Wish they would do a TV series rather than another movie.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #123
Project862006
Banned User

i would love a Michael Mann shot gritty dare devil imagine dd filmed like collateral

Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #124
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
eh who knows all i know is DD will be collecting dust at marvel lol
It had already been collecting dust at Fox. Better it collect dust at Marvel where it belongs.

David Slade abandoned the project. The only reason at all there was any pitches or something was because they were about to lose the rights anyway. Fox had lost any and all interest in this franchise.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #125
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Yeah agreed that Fox was just going through the motions, probably to improve their negotiating position with Marvel/Disney. Unfortunate for those who wasted their time pitching ideas. So goes the movie biz.