The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: Which Spidey costume do you like more?
Tobey Maguire/original trilogy 63 70.00%
Andrew Garfield/reboot 24 26.67%
Undecided/tie 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #426
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Default Re: Whose costume is better? - Part 1

I prefer the Raimi suit any day over the new one. The first embraced the comics, the second tried to change it for the sake of change and looks weird at places. But I admit I was pretty prejudiced about it from those behind-the-scenes pics and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be on the final product. But again, when compared between the two, I'd go for Raimi's. It's just so much more like a realization of spidey than the other. Straight from the comics.

The new suit looks good in full lighting, it's certainly more loud. Would like to see it return in the sequel.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #427
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Bright red and blue certainly isn't gritty or realistic. The Webb costume looks like it was designed by the same folks who gave us Halle Berry's Catwoman suit. The tacky sneakers and striping. The webshooter that looks like a toy watch from a cereal box. The yellow lenses.

And I completely disagree with this argument that the suit looks like something a teenager would design. A teen might go with something closer to the black & red Ultimate design (Which is really just a rip of Alex Ross' movie suit design) but they sure as hell wouldn't go for bright blue. Wanting to appear more adult, scary and spidery they'd likely go for darker colors.

But regardless, there was no reason for a redesign. The Spidey suit is a classic- everybody knows it. They should've been focusing on giving a great story and nothing more, which I have yet to see from this movie.
I'm so tired of this argument. NO version of Spider-Man's costume looks like something a teenager would design. Nor should it. Besides which, not only does Garfield's suit NOT look like something a teenager would design, it doesn't look like something a teenager COULD design. Where would he get the rubbery material? Why would he use a web pattern that didn't look like webs? Why would he make it so random and incomplete? And why would he use ANY of it for a disguise when he's on a mission of vengeance? Comics Peter designed his costume for entertainment purposes. Garfield's Peter was trying to hunt somebody down. It simply doesn't make sense.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #428
Anno_Domini
Banned User

While I do prefer the first two Spider-Man films over The Amazing Spider-Man, I do prefer some aspects on Webb's suit that actually makes me prefer it more than Raimi's suit. The brighter colors, the better eyes(imo), the webshooters...some things I wanted to see after Raimi's suit and I finally got to see them. Now if we can only get a new reboot that mashes up the better parts of Raimi's suit with the better parts of Webb's suit...

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #429
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
While I do prefer the first two Spider-Man films over The Amazing Spider-Man, I do prefer some aspects on Webb's suit that actually makes me prefer it more than Raimi's suit. The brighter colors, the better eyes(imo), the webshooters...some things I wanted to see after Raimi's suit and I finally got to see them. Now if we can only get a new reboot that mashes up the better parts of Raimi's suit with the better parts of Webb's suit...
that would be awesome if we could get the best of both worlds, or, universes.
I myself am kind of in the middle. I mean, I like the overall design of the Raimi suit better because it has more of classic look, but I really enjoyed seeing Webb's suit in the film.
Since you said that you like the eyes on Webb's suit better, how do you feel about the news of the bigger eyes for the sequel?

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #430
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Not a huge fan of Webb wanting to change the eyes or the webshooters, lol. I like them both except for the blinking red light on the webshooters.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #431
Web face
Side-Kick

I hope they change more than just the size of the eyes, if they make them a reflective white I will be really happy. I don't think that would go well with the rest of suit if we were to actually see it though. I wish they could change the webshooters so that it only flashes red when he is low. If they really want it to flash every time he shoots, then they should make it flash blue when it isn't low.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #432
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I'm so tired of this argument. NO version of Spider-Man's costume looks like something a teenager would design. Nor should it. Besides which, not only does Garfield's suit NOT look like something a teenager would design, it doesn't look like something a teenager COULD design. Where would he get the rubbery material? Why would he use a web pattern that didn't look like webs? Why would he make it so random and incomplete? And why would he use ANY of it for a disguise when he's on a mission of vengeance? Comics Peter designed his costume for entertainment purposes. Garfield's Peter was trying to hunt somebody down. It simply doesn't make sense.
e-bay

eat your heart out Mr. Wayne

Quote:
Not a huge fan of Webb wanting to change the eyes or the webshooters, lol. I like them both except for the blinking red light on the webshooters.
that's the one thing that actually makes me physically angry whenever i see it. they could retool it to explain how Pete kept it when he realized how much it annoys his enemies.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #433
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Or even how it annoys himself, lol.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #434
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

To quote our dear friend Spider-ManHero12:
Spider-Man costume in the Raimi films is perfection, perfect adaption from comic book to film, and looks perfect in film
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I have no regrets whatsoever voting for the classic style Raimi used

Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #435
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If perfection means not quite perfection, then yes.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #436
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

My one wish would be that the lenses are slightly more white than there were before. I mean I don't like when we see images at night and the lenses look a very dark blue or some other color, I don't think they should ever look like that.

Also, there needs to be a belt in the sequel. These improvements could put the suit ahead of Raimi's since they went for the silver webbing, which is all wrong.

WarriorDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #437
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
If perfection means not quite perfection, then yes.
Minor changes from pages to film, but man does it look good on film
Beautiful suit
Great change for the back spider
Web pattern is a web pattern
Lenses look fantastic
Color distribution is perfect

They nailed all the main aspects to make it look wonderful and extremely faithful to comics

Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #438
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It may look good, but it's clearly not perfection when those minor changes didn't have to be made. It would be perfect, imo, if the changes were needed, but they weren't.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #439
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

My ideal movie costume would be sort of like the costume from Spider-Man Edge of Time. I really like the messy webbing.

Anyway on-topic, yeah I like the Amazing costume more. Being a more faithful adaption of the costume doesn't make the Raimi suit better when it looks like total ****.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #440
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
It may look good, but it's clearly not perfection when those minor changes didn't have to be made. It would be perfect, imo, if the changes were needed, but they weren't.
They made it looks better on film
The spider on the back was a very welcomed change
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
My ideal movie costume would be sort of like the costume from Spider-Man Edge of Time. I really like the messy webbing.

Anyway on-topic, yeah I like the Amazing costume more. Being a more faithful adaption of the costume doesn't make the Raimi suit better when it looks like total ****.
Your ideal suit looks ugly

Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #441
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

the messy webbing reminds me of all those times i tried to draw spidey as a kid but could never get the pattern right. i guess it has its place somewhere.

Speaking of suits...

The Symbiote costume. Did it look different from when we see it first to when we see him talking to Edward Brock Jr. with a slightly bigger eye?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #442
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
They made it looks better on film
The spider on the back was a very welcomed change
No.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #443
roach
I am the night

fighting over which costume is better is like fighting over which color is better red or blue...you like what you like.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #444
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

i wonder what james cameron's spidey suit would've looked like?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #445
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
fighting over which costume is better is like fighting over which color is better red or blue...you like what you like.
True, but saying one suit is perfect is useless as well.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #446
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Your ideal suit looks ugly

Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #447
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
i wonder what james cameron's spidey suit would've looked like?
I bet it's the classic with little to no change

Quote:
True, but saying one suit is perfect is useless as well.
It's perfect in my view, not perfect to you
Happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
:Because his ideal spidey suit is the classic with messy web pattern:
Yourself

Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #448
Rise_-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Haha, well said.

Rise_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #449
Aracno_8000
Dreamer Newbie

Hi boys TASM suit is much modern and i like it so much

Tobey Maguire reaction to The Amazing SpiderMan new Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lISRruMLGJs

Aracno_8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #450
OcStat
Side-Kick

I think the new suit is my preference. The old suit had changes that people used to whine about, such as the raised webbing, funny how people have selective memory. I think the Raimi suit looks best in SM2, the eyes and front chest spider are improved over the original.

But after watching SM1 and TASM back to back the new suit just looks better in motion I think. I like the different textures of the red and blue, instead of the same material with a different pattern subtly put under the webbing. Plus I like the nod to Ben Reilly's Spider-Man costume, the red and blue on the hands and the large spider legs running down the front of the costume.

The shot that starts the final swing in ASM, that zooms put of his eye lense and around his back, cemented my new opinion.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote