Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

View Poll Results: Expanded Universe elements for original characters
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #26
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Would you like events from the Expanded Universe put into original characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Yes indeed!

Do you recommend starting the NJO series next, or is there something crucial in between?
I'd say go for "The Hand of Thrawn" duology, then for the 4-issue comic series "Union" and then NJO. Maybe, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe do Kevin J. Anderson's "Jedi Academy" trilogy before Hand and Union. But I don't think it's that essential.

Be prepared, though, NJO takes things elsewhere. It's not classic SW but it's an evolution. I love it.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Bim
Side-Kick

Default Re: Would you like events from the Expanded Universe put into original characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Be prepared, though, NJO takes things elsewhere. It's not classic SW but it's an evolution. I love it.
You're leading him into pain

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
Indy1Jones
Agent Indy

They should use the EU characters and the OT characters in one movie.

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #29
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
You're leading him into pain
You can't spell Yuuzhan without "self-mutilation" and Vong without "pain".

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

The EU isn't the most perfect place but alot of cool Star Wars stories and characters that exist there that I would like to see incorporated or have elements of in this trilogy. I think if Mark Hamill is indeed returning for this trilogy its a likely to be set in the untouched area of the EU, and would be neat to have alot of the backstories to be the EU itself.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #31
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

That would be the ideal scenario for me, too. Although it'd be hard for me to accept Anakin Solo and Mara Jade's deaths as definitive canon.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
I'm all for using characters and elements from the EU. But I want selected retcons, which would be a slippery slope.
Agreed, although I don't think the slope has to be that slippery. To the general public, only the film universe will be relevant so they should be free to use whichever characters they want from the EU without worrying too much about what is 'supposed' to happen with them. And EU fans I don't know if they'll be all that pissed when at least they're getting to see the EU characters as opposed to not. The EU is just based on the SW universe and retcons between the 2 don't matter so much as retcons within either one of them.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

If Luke is indeed in this, I would not mind seeing a live action Mara Jade. Maybe a few other EU characters but not heavily involved. Create as many new ones as possible.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #34
Kalonthar

Disney... Kyle Katarn or GTFO.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #35
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I need Kyle. He needs to be in this. Easy as f**k to write him in, too.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #36
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes and no.
While it would be easy enough to include a random character named 'Kyle Katarn', it would be very much more difficult to include and explain the book character's backstory and relationships without hijacking the story.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalonthar View Post
Disney... Kyle Katarn or GTFO.
Yes, the Chuck Norris of Star Wars as far as i'm concerned.

Quote:
I'd be cool with him being a character doing awesome stuff in the background. Kyle Katarn is one of the greatest dangit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes and no.
While it would be easy enough to include a random character named 'Kyle Katarn', it would be very much more difficult to include and explain the book character's backstory and relationships without hijacking the story.
I think it would be pretty easy, the backstory doesn't really have to be fully explained. Thats what the EU is for, all you would really need to know is that he is friends with the likes of Luke and has a history with the Rebellion and Jedi Order/Dark Jedi entanglements in the past..

Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #38
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
You can't spell Yuuzhan without "self-mutilation" and Vong without "pain".
well played

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #39
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I think it would be pretty easy, the backstory doesn't really have to be fully explained. Thats what the EU is for, all you would really need to know is that he is friends with the likes of Luke and has a history with the Rebellion and Jedi Order/Dark Jedi entanglements in the past..
Exactly. I don't want to see his backstory, I wanna see his asskickery and humor.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #40
DarKush
Side-Kick

EU stuff I wouldn't mind seeing:

-Crimson Empire, book one. I think Kir Kanos, or someone like him, could be an interesting foe for Luke and crew.
-Dark Empire. Palpatine is my favorite character and I would like to see him return, though I doubt it would happen.
-NJO: I wonder if the new writers can come up with alien invaders as interesting as the Yuuzhan Vong.
-Lumiya: a great personal villain for Luke that is almost his fighting match.
-Thrawn: I'm still reading the trilogy, but I do think he's an interesting villain, if a bit overrated.
-The Lost Tribe of the Sith: I would like to see them beefed up more than they were in the books.
-Abeloth: A completely different kind of dark side threat would be interesting to see. Reminded me of Jasmine from the Angel TV series.
-Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Solo kids

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote