The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #151
SpiderMarvelite
Banned User

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Agreed but I still think Andrew Garfield acted better in The Social Network
Though that a totally different kind of role

You are going too hard on him
He tried hard enough,jumped of a building to make his powers come back.He could have died

SpiderMarvelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #152
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
What comes to Andrew and Tobey... I think both had their qualities. Andrew was superior as Peter Parker, but (even though Tobey didn't throw as many quips) with Tobey I could sense the childlike joy and the trickster quality when he was in the costume, when that thing semi-lacked with Andrew
The big difference is that we saw Tobey going "WOO HOO" while swinging around. Andrew got into the costume while looking for his Uncle Ben's killer, so he wasn't there to enjoy it so much. But when he jumps off the roof top to test his webbing for the first time, he showed some excitement over that. Ultimately, I still say Andrew was superior as Spider-Man. But I do see what you mean about Tobey being more childlike.

EDIT:
Isn't Spider-Man childlike when he is making sarcastic comments and quips as he is fighting bad guys though?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 11-30-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #153
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I can see why one would prefer Tobey's Peter Parker over Andrew's, even though I don't. However, I really can't see what Tobey's Spider-Man has over Andrew's in any way.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #154
Picard Sisko

They both have good qualities, but personally I think Andrew's is more lovable.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #155
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I don't even see what was so great about Tobey's Peter. Most of the time he was like a little puppy that you felt you had to take care off. Especially when he was in the same room with Jameson. Andrew's Peter had the balls to speak his mind. I always only ever enjoyed Spider-Man in the Raimi Movies, when it was an action scene. Everything that actually had Tobey and his entire portrayal of Peter Parker, was just subpar to me.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #156
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Don't know about that... imo Keaton was slightly better as Batman but Christian Bale was a far better Bruce Wayne

What comes to Andrew and Tobey... I think both had their qualities. Andrew was superior as Peter Parker, but (even though Tobey didn't throw as many quips) with Tobey I could sense the childlike joy and the trickster quality when he was in the costume, when that thing semi-lacked with Andrew
Yah, I've seen many say Bale was the better Bruce Wayne, but I like both really. They nailed both characters perfect, and yes, I am speaking on Bale's Batman as well, lol.

And we feel the opposite when it comes to who was the better Peter Parker and who was the better Spider-Man, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #157
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
^about Peter being a nerd, he owns a skateboard (sarcasm). Seriously though, I can understand when people say that Peter isn't portrayed as a nerd in this one. I think some of it has to do with the way that he acts in school. Mostly in the beginning and end of the movie when Peter skates in the halls and when he is late (again). Im satisfied because they still show his intelligence and love for science.
Agreed. Because the Peter of the comics has never been late to anything. LOL He is partly known for always being late to all kinds of events and places. How many dates did he arrived late to and even miss completely?

As for the skateboard, some people like it while others don't. I'm personally in neither camp. What I mean by that is that I don't see why it's in the movie to begin with. What purpose does it serve? What is it means to show other than that one scene where we see him skateboarding like a pro while experimenting with his powers? It served no purpose whatsoever and was really just filler material IMO. It didn't take away from the film but at the same time, it added nothing to the film so it shouldn't have been in the movie at all.

Quote:
Thats Debatable
I have yet to see anyone bring up solid reasons to why Raimi's Spider-Man is more like the comics than Webb's Spider-Man. I personally think that anyone who has read the comics is able to tell that. Also, arguments such as "the pacing is too fast" or "the parents subplot is just dropped", whether valid or not, are irrelevant to the film looking at it from an adaptation point of view (which is what we're discussing now). What exactly makes Raimi's take on Peter/Spider-Man more accurate to the source material than Webb's? I'm willing to listen.

Quote:
You are going too hard on him
He tried hard enough,jumped of a building to make his powers come back.He could have died
I don't really have a big problem with about half the stuff I brought up in that paragraph. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy. You can't say that Garfield's Peter is a douche and that Maguire's Peter isn't when, going by the logic of the people that call Garfield's Peter a douche, Maguire's Peter is also a douche and an even bigger one (I'm not saying you specifically called him a douche but you get the idea).

As a side note, for all the people comparing Tobey and Andrew's portrayals of Spider-Man and saying that Andrew's was superior because he quipped like Spidey does, I would like to say that that alone is not the only reason why I find Andrew's version to be superior. He also is more agile, seems stronger (ironic since Tobey's Peter was in his 20's), and overall moves a lot more like how Spider-Man moves and on top of that, he also uses his wits while in battle. Basically, there is a lot more to Andrew's performance being better than Tobey's performance than just "he quips more than Tobey".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Yah, I've seen many say Bale was the better Bruce Wayne, but I like both really. They nailed both characters perfect, and yes, I am speaking on Bale's Batman as well, lol.
I see it as...
Keaton was a great Batman but a horrible Bruce Wayne.
Bale was a great Bruce Wayne and a good Batman.

Keaton nailed it as Batman while Bale nailed it as Bruce Wayne. I find Keaton's Bruce Wayne to probably be the worst Bruce Wayne in live-action since he portrayed him the exact opposite way he is portrayed - stiff, awkward, a shut-in recluse, etc. But to be fair, that is also the script's fault.

Although I like Bale's Batman, the reason I say it's good and not great is because it's not the ideal Batman performance I imagine. When I look at roles like RDJ as Iron Man, Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man, and Christopher Reeves as Superman, I see those roles as perfect casting and can't even imagine better actors for those roles. This does not mean that these actors will never be topped in these roles but that my mind is simply not able to imagine better actors for these parts until I see another actor coming in and proving me wrong. I don't get that with Bale's Batman. Though I really liked him in the role, I can definitely imagine a better actor for the part even if it isn't too big of an improvement over Bale. He could start by having a better "Bat-voice" that sounds frightening but also natural.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #158
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Keaton and Bale were very different with their portrayals as Bruce and Batman, but I still definitely appreciate and like both of them as the iconic characters. Very different, but also very interesting.

Keaton had a more brooding Batman that spoke in a whisper, really and acted like a brooding Bruce Wayne as well.

Bale had a rage-filled Batman stalk the streets of Gotham City while playing as this fake playboy billionaire who was only brooding infront of his trusty Butler.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #159
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Perhaps a sequel can do this, but I definitely wasn't warmed up to Andrew's Peter in TAS-M. Some guys can quickly do this, as I mentioned RDJ...he was the perfect Tony Stark and Iron Man in the first film, as well as Keaton in '89 Batman as Bruce Wayne and Batman.
He has his flaws,which every teenager should have
Tobey's Peter and the one in the comics were almost flawless,maybe thats why you feel that way

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #160
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Flawless how?

Peter Parker always had his bad luck.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #161
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_- View Post
I'm willing to listen if you've got valid points.

Tobey's Spider-Man was just boring for me and the moments when he actually opened his mouth... I cringed.
Lets see:

Garfield's Peter/Spider-man
-Artificial Web Shooters
-Wise ass
-Body Figure is more on par(imo)
-More agile than strong(Thats how it should be for Spidey)
-Better Acting
-Better relationship with his Love-interest

Tobey's Peter/Spider-man
-Financially down
-Works at Daily Bugle
-More of a nerd(imo)
-More mature
-More of a Photographer
-Has a better relationship with his Uncle and Aunt

Some people might see some positives as negatives or viceversa

I myself prefer Webb's Spidey/Peter myself but I think the difference is not that much

Last edited by Spiderdevil; 11-30-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #162
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Flawless how?

Peter Parker always had his bad luck.
I mean his behavior
For example
He didnt reveal Goblin's identity just because he promised him,any other man(And I believe Andrew's Peter also) would go '**** you! buddy,your father was a homicidal maniac who murdered half a dozen people'

Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #163
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:

And we feel the opposite when it comes to who was the better Peter Parker and who was the better Spider-Man, lol.
Oh? Pretty surprising that you prefer Andrew as either one though you aren't really a hater so constructive criticism wasn't that unexpectable

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #164
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
The big difference is that we saw Tobey going "WOO HOO" while swinging around. Andrew got into the costume while looking for his Uncle Ben's killer, so he wasn't there to enjoy it so much. But when he jumps off the roof top to test his webbing for the first time, he showed some excitement over that. Ultimately, I still say Andrew was superior as Spider-Man. But I do see what you mean about Tobey being more childlike.

EDIT:
Isn't Spider-Man childlike when he is making sarcastic comments and quips as he is fighting bad guys though?
Well, he is, but (referring to the car jacker scene) it's more like mean taunting than kidding around, he comes off as bit of a bully actually. I'm sure that it was planned to be that way and he had to be like that since he was hunting his uncle's killer, but if you think about it, Spidey is not exactly like that. I'm sure that he will be evolved as a character and be more comfortable with being Spider-Man, and having a more pure trickster quality

I would say that the closest thing to classic trickster Spidey was in the basketball scene, and there he didn't even throw out any puns! Again, in the car jacker scene his behaviour was affected by the anger that he held inside, but that's a plot point so I'll give it a pass

Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #165
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

I bet if Marvel Studios ever makes their own Spider-Man, some people are gonna still be not satisfied, and will ***** and compare all 3 Peter Parkers like right now.

GRangerPrimeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #166
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
I bet if Marvel Studios ever makes their own Spider-Man, some people are gonna still be not satisfied, and will ***** and compare all 3 Peter Parkers like right now.
If Marvel studios made a Spider-Man movie (and they couldn't cast Andrew) they should cast Reece Thompson. He has the "Peter quality" in his looks, he has the proper voice for Peter, and having seen a few of his newest films he can do drama really good

Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #167
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I mean his behavior
For example
He didnt reveal Goblin's identity just because he promised him,any other man(And I believe Andrew's Peter also) would go '**** you! buddy,your father was a homicidal maniac who murdered half a dozen people'
Ehh, maybe. I can't really say Andrew's Peter would do something such as this unless he had to reveal the Goblin's identity as Tobey's Peter had to do with Harry who wanted to kill Spider-Man.

Quote:
Oh? Pretty surprising that you prefer Andrew as either one though you aren't really a hater so constructive criticism wasn't that unexpectable
Lol, yah, I actually preferred Andrew's Spider-Man much more, but Tobey's Peter Parker. It's weird, because there's always this major thing that I feel is missing with both cinematic versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
I had a talk with my brother earlier and we were talking about the perfect Spider-Man film would still be to mesh Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man and Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker, and I feel that if Marvel Studios ever got the character back, they would make a fantastic version that would mix the better versions of Spidey and Peter.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #168
Picard Sisko

I still don't think the MCU films are as "perfect" as people make them out to be, and not as accurate as fans claim them to be. Thor didn't have his human counter-part Donald Blake, Tony Stark got drunk ONCE when he is supposed to be an alcoholic, Jarvis is AI and not a human being, Pepper Pots and Happy Hogan are portrayed differently, Abomination looks very different from the comic books, the costumes are different for SHIELD, etc.

Honestly, other than Iron Man 1 and the Avengers, the rest were kind of "meh." The Amazing Spider-Man IMO was better than most of the solo films.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #169
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I can see why one would prefer Tobey's Peter Parker over Andrew's, even though I don't. However, I really can't see what Tobey's Spider-Man has over Andrew's in any way.
I do tend to stumble alot when when I'm nervous so I liked it, but at the same time Andrew's almost constant stumbling kinda wore me down a bit. Toby would stumble but not all the time. For the most part when he was talking with MJ in the first one he actually held conversations with her. I know I'm kinda exaterating but it really felt like 80 % of Andrew's dialog with Gwen was just him stubling and muttering.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #170
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfan98 View Post
I do tend to stumble alot when when I'm nervous so I liked it, but at the same time Andrew's almost constant stumbling kinda wore me down a bit. Toby would stumble but not all the time. For the most part when he was talking with MJ in the first one he actually held conversations with her. I know I'm kinda exaterating but it really felt like 80 % of Andrew's dialog with Gwen was just him stubling and muttering.
In the beginning, he stumbled and muttered with her, but after he told her he was Spider-Man, he had actual conversations with her.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #171
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
In the beginning, he stumbled and muttered with her, but after he told her he was Spider-Man, he had actual conversations with her.
well, i stumble a lot when i talk to strangers but when i can talk to people i know normally

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #172
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I still don't think the MCU films are as "perfect" as people make them out to be, and not as accurate as fans claim them to be. Thor didn't have his human counter-part Donald Blake, Tony Stark got drunk ONCE when he is supposed to be an alcoholic, Jarvis is AI and not a human being, Pepper Pots and Happy Hogan are portrayed differently, Abomination looks very different from the comic books, the costumes are different for SHIELD, etc.

Honestly, other than Iron Man 1 and the Avengers, the rest were kind of "meh." The Amazing Spider-Man IMO was better than most of the solo films.
There's nothing wrong with adapting something and making it work such as Jarvis being an AI, or Thor not having a human counter-part with there being no reason(especially with the updated career for Jane Foster), Tony Stark only getting drunk once when it was said we'll never get a story of Iron Man being a real alcoholic, Abomination looking different in a 'real' setting of his creation, and blah, blah, blah.

If we are to talk about not being perfect like the comics, do you really want to bring the idea of perfection in a thread for The Amazing Spider-Man?

Plus, while Iron Man and The Avengers are really the only, imo, 9 out of 10 films in the MCU, Captain America and Thor are still 8 out of 10 with Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk being 7 out of 10.....still, and once again imo, better than my 6/10 rating for TAS-M.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #173
Web face
Side-Kick

^I think what he is trying to say is that people (including yourself apparently) give a pass to all the MCU films when they make updates and changes to the source material but if Peter Parker owns one skateboard, then everybody loses their minds

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #174
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
^I think what he is trying to say is that people (including yourself apparently) give a pass to all the MCU films when they make updates and changes to the source material but if Peter Parker owns one skateboard, then everybody loses their minds
The problem is I don't. I've only given a pass to how MCU uses Tony Stark/Iron Man, Steve Rogers/Captain America and Thor because I love how those superheroes are being used, lol. Never said anything else about the films being perfect

Although, yes, seeing the montage of Peter practicing his powers with a skateboard was something I definitely wasn't a fan of.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #175
Web face
Side-Kick

It just seemed like you do, because you said, "If we are to talk about not being perfect like the comics, do you really want to bring the idea of perfection in a thread for The Amazing Spider-Man?"
Also, you said there is nothing wrong with adapting something when talking about MCU films, when certain people (not including you this time) talk about how unfaithful TASM is with this skating Peter.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote