Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #101
georgec
Not a hero

Default Re: Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I feel that was done on purpose. There's a more adventure folksy, heck even Rankin/Bass sort of feel to a lot of them. I mean just listen to the ending/credit song for The Hobbit in comparison to those of all three of the LOTR films. They scaled it down on purpose I think.
I see what you mean. Yea, it reminds me of Williams' SW prequel scores. There were some great cues, but much of the music was, for want of better word, "filler" or "incidental" without being as catchy.

Not every score need be 100% catchy, but when I first listened to the FOTR score I was impressed strongly with the fellowship theme, Bag End theme, Rivendell theme, etc. After listening to The Hobbit the only thing that stuck out was the Lonely Mountain theme, apart from identifiable music from Shore's previous scores.

I don't mean to complain at all as the score is fantastic, but it's just something I noticed.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #102
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Also though, similar to the Star Wars prequel situation, the music simply won't be as distinct because we are getting it in the context of listening to the Lord of the Rings score for over a decade. We know how everyone involved approaches this material.

Last edited by redhawk23; 11-30-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #103
georgec
Not a hero

Exactly. And it's perfectly fine. I think if I hadn't heard the previous LOTR scores then I'd definitely be more impressioned.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #104
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I read that someone who saw the film compared it more to ROTK then FOTR. Considering the material, I am not sure why that is.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #105
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

The motif of the Misty Mountains song (and the song itself) is the main catchy party for me in the score so far.

Also I went ahead and borrowed The Hobbit book since it's been over a decade since I last (partially) read it. I got to say, the first chapter alone could fill 25-30 mins of the movie. Having the movie in 3 parts is making more sense to me than ever before.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #106
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I read that someone who saw the film compared it more to ROTK then FOTR. Considering the material, I am not sure why that is.
Well that's just great.

*sarcasm*

75 Years of the Batman - Happy Anniversary to my Hero
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #107
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
The motif of the Misty Mountains song (and the song itself) is the main catchy party for me in the score so far.

Also I went ahead and borrowed The Hobbit book since it's been over a decade since I last (partially) read it. I got to say, the first chapter alone could fill 25-30 mins of the movie. Having the movie in 3 parts is making more sense to me than ever before.
Well the thing is also when I went back and re-read it, I kinda felt the same way. Of course I knew that the Appendix stuff could fill a lot of these three films. But in honestly just reading the book it could easily be very long as well. The reason is a lot of the actual "writing" in The Hobbit was aimed towards children so many things were simplified and just glossed over details. Like how many times the Dwarves would "talk about these great adventures in the past" then that was all we knew.

I think to make the Battle of the Fiver Armies better we really do need to get to know the Dwarves, and their past (and that of their ancestors). But really I kinda realized that the simple writing in The Hobbit kinda glosses over things that could easily be filled in.

So I'm more confident in them making this into three movies then I was before. There is a lot of stuff in the Appendix and the book at self then I remembered.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #108
jf300
Side-Kick

There's also the case of making The Battle of Five Armies an actual battle rather than having our main character unconscious throughout and then waking up to find it over.

The final battle, knowing Jackson, will probably take about 30 minutes including all the build up.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #109
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf300 View Post
There's also the case of making The Battle of Five Armies an actual battle rather than having our main character unconscious throughout and then waking up to find it over.

The final battle, knowing Jackson, will probably take about 30 minutes including all the build up.
It is going to need to be a lot longer then that if you include all the build up.

The way the movies look right now, the second film is going to more then likely end right before or after Smaug's visit to Laketown.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #110
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Why was Lord Of The Rings made before the Hobbit?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #111
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
A much easier sell probably.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #112
lime
Movie critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Do we have this two spots in good quality yet?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #113
HowardStark
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Slashfilm included a quote from Peter Jackson from an LATimes interview originally held at comicon. In it Jackson includes his thoughts about the frustrations of practical effects and stuntwork and the new films' increased reliance on CGI.

I can't help but find this quote to be troubling. Obvious Peter Jackson is far more qualified than me to judge the state of cgi tech and the competance of his own employees and their designs, but we've seen these kinds of attitudes before and not always with the best results. While he describes the frustrations of being tied to human anatomy with designs and setpieces, those limitations often force some much needed restraint on artists. Its a major reason why the effects work on Jurrassic Park still hold up in varying degrees today. How many potentially great scene have we seen undercut by weightless or poorly textured cg?

Maybe the technology finally has caught up to the whims of directors to be freed from the limitations of the past, but I'm still sceptical. This also shows a clear divide between Jackson and Del Toro in their approach.
GDT certainly uses CGI but he's also not afraid to push the limitations of practical effects. Jackson does specifically mention that his frustrations lies with speaking characters, but even then, we have seen great puppetry and robotics work over the years.

Perhaps the real limitations lie with what performers are willing to subject themselves to. I have the ustmost respect of Andy Serkis, but with actors like Doug Jones, who says you can space the eys out?

I am pretty sure he was kinda referring more or less about LOTR and Lurtz costume and the speaking goblins took hours in make up and needed special mouth designs if were talking orcs or goblins. I think he is just meaning its easier to not risk tearing the prostetics.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #114
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was an issue with the rights.

Free Original Music
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #115
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardStark View Post
I am pretty sure he was kinda referring more or less about LOTR and Lurtz costume and the speaking goblins took hours in make up and needed special mouth designs if were talking orcs or goblins. I think he is just meaning its easier to not risk tearing the prostetics.
Well, that's a shame considering the Uruks and orcs in LOTR looked so damn good. When Fellowship came out I was 7 or 8 and Lurtz scarred the living daylights out of me, and that's because he looked so real and so dangerous, especially when interacting with the other actors and the sets.

At best, CGI would be just attempting to recreate the realistic look of the orcs and uruks, and I have a feeling if that's the case, it won't look anywhere near as good.

Free Original Music
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #116
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Heavy makeup may hinder the facial muscles used to emote complex emotions and instead we get violent movements of the neck and mouth as an attempt to overcompensate. So I understand completely what bothers jackson about prosthetics and why he chose to go the motion captured way, at least for the faces. Remember, Davy Jones blew away pretty much every CGI and made up creatures back in 2006, and Jackson has had six years to develop on that wonderful tech. I have absolutely no doubt the orcs will look, move and emote better than ever before.

Now the sanitized digital look of the movie is another matter. I am not a big fan of that.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #117
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Heavy makeup may hinder the facial muscles used to emote complex emotions and instead we get violent movements of the neck and mouth as an attempt to overcompensate.
I liked that aspect of it. Made the orcs seem even more inhuman and frightening.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #118
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I liked that aspect of it. Made the orcs seem even more inhuman and frightening.
I don't know how inhuman it made them look after years and years of watching films with prosthetics.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #119
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

While the Orcs and Uruk hais are inherently fouler creatures, in the book they seemed a bit less consistently angry and hateful and a bit more rounded as sentient beings. At least Saruman's Uruk's seemed to have a few noble qualities to them like the sense of utmost duty to their lord that would enable them to run and run without rest in bringing Merry and Pipin to Isengard. Perhaps Jackson wants to capture that in these installments?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #120
:eek:
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lord of the Rings are more popular books than The Hobbit, and I think LotR always was Peter Jackson's dream project (after all he originally never had plans of returning as a director for The Hobbit)

Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #121
cabel
Side-Kick

If I recall correctly, Jackson originally wanted to film the Hobbit alongside LOTR and release them as a trilogy (Hobbit being the first one, LOTR split between the other two). But the rights to the Hobbit were still tied up with MGM, so Jackson refocused on LOTR as a trilogy.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #122
Octoberist
point blank

Wait all the orcs and goblins are all CG this time around? I thought I saw countless dudes in costume, perhaps with the Orc, and the CG was reserved for the Gobs?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #123
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was an issue with the rights.
Yup that was the major problem.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #124
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
Do we have this two spots in good quality yet?
just found this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwhJLoJ6txg

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #125
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

The misty mountains song sung by the dwarves is AMAZING. gives me chills

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Closed Thread