The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #476
dabilee01
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 336
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
How about he wears the damn suit under his clothes like he has since the beginning? Or maybe keeps it stored someplace secure and out of reach in a gym bag or something? (which DOES have precedent in the comics)

"But what about the boots?"
Maybe he wears a dress shoe size bigger or so to compensate. It's not as if he's wearing combat boots. Yeah his feet might look a little big... but then again who says Superman can't have smallish feet? The diesel physique makes his hands and feet look small anyway. Or maybe having the appearance of larger feet would help to emphasize the lanky and awkward Clark Kent disguise. How about... who gives a crap? (#IMAGINATION!)

"But what if his work clothes tear revealing his suit or he wants to wear short sleeves?"
Superman can walk on the sun, spends his free time in the Arctic, died, came back to life, and has fought every kind of weirdo/super-powered-alien-a-hole in the universe. I'm pretty sure the man can handle issues in both body temperature and clothing malfunction.

"Where does he put his cape?"
Folds it up? Stores it someplace secure? Do people really need an answer for everything? Yeah Superman can fly and stop bullets but can't handle finding a place for a cape...

Bottom line... to me, a magical Kryptonian nano suit requires more suspension of belief then any explanation one can conjure to account for how Superman manages life wearing his suit under his suit. It's a superfluous dues ex machina idea that just further removes Superman from being more relatable. It's real simple, just don't depict Superman fumbling around putting his cape on or taking his pants off or whatever. You wouldn't depict Superman taking a dump either. On the other hand...
now, see, to me, i find it more believable for a nano-tech suit to exist than him wearing it under his clothes. krypton was light years ahead in technology, so it's not a stretch for me to believe it could exist (especially if tony stark can make it exist, and he's just a human).

i always think of this snl skit when i think of the whole 'suspension of belief' with regard to the whole clark/superman dynamic:

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-divert...ck-is-superman

amusing, yes, but it also brings up valid points.

dabilee01 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #477
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick
 
Mindreaper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 966
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabilee01 View Post
now, see, to me, i find it more believable for a nano-tech suit to exist than him wearing it under his clothes. krypton was light years ahead in technology, so it's not a stretch for me to believe it could exist (especially if tony stark can make it exist, and he's just a human).

i always think of this snl skit when i think of the whole 'suspension of belief' with regard to the whole clark/superman dynamic:

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-divert...ck-is-superman

amusing, yes, but it also brings up valid points.

__________________
The Batman

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #478
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,863
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
How about he wears the damn suit under his clothes like he has since the beginning? Or maybe keeps it stored someplace secure and out of reach in a gym bag or something? (which DOES have precedent in the comics)

"But what about the boots?"
Maybe he wears a dress shoe size bigger or so to compensate. It's not as if he's wearing combat boots. Yeah his feet might look a little big... but then again who says Superman can't have smallish feet? The diesel physique makes his hands and feet look small anyway. Or maybe having the appearance of larger feet would help to emphasize the lanky and awkward Clark Kent disguise. How about... who gives a crap? (#IMAGINATION!)

"But what if his work clothes tear revealing his suit or he wants to wear short sleeves?"
Superman can walk on the sun, spends his free time in the Arctic, died, came back to life, and has fought every kind of weirdo/super-powered-alien-a-hole in the universe. I'm pretty sure the man can handle issues in both body temperature and clothing malfunction.

"Where does he put his cape?"
Folds it up? Stores it someplace secure? Do people really need an answer for everything? Yeah Superman can fly and stop bullets but can't handle finding a place for a cape...

Bottom line... to me, a magical Kryptonian nano suit requires more suspension of belief then any explanation one can conjure to account for how Superman manages life wearing his suit under his suit. It's a superfluous dues ex machina idea that just further removes Superman from being more relatable. It's real simple, just don't depict Superman fumbling around putting his cape on or taking his pants off or whatever. You wouldn't depict Superman taking a dump either. On the other hand...
What the hell are you talking about?

Superman possessing a Kryptonian Nanosuit is significantly more believable than him carrying the suit around in his briefcase or his business attire. In my opinion, it's less believable for an alien that came across the galaxy (from an advanced civilization) to jump into a phone booth and change into the 'super' suit.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #479
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabilee01 View Post
now, see, to me, i find it more believable for a nano-tech suit to exist than him wearing it under his clothes. krypton was light years ahead in technology, so it's not a stretch for me to believe it could exist (especially if tony stark can make it exist, and he's just a human).

i always think of this snl skit when i think of the whole 'suspension of belief' with regard to the whole clark/superman dynamic:

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-divert...ck-is-superman

amusing, yes, but it also brings up valid points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
Are you guys insane? lol

Just so I'm clear, you're saying it's easier for you to buy the idea of super-sophisticated, nano-tech tights and cape activated by a giant chest mounted Superman S button, all from a fictional planet populated by aliens who look completely human... then it is for you to believe that he simply wears a skin tight costume under his clothes?

Fair nuff.

If you buy that then why not just give Superman super-masonry vision?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #480
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,748
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Superman possessing a Kryptonian Nanosuit is significantly more believable than him carrying the suit around in his briefcase or his business attire. In my opinion, it's less believable for an alien that came across the galaxy (from an advanced civilization) to jump into a phone booth and change into the 'super' suit.


I’d describe the distinction this way:

Generally, audiences will accept outlandish, sci-fi concepts as genre conventions. As long as the context is well established (advanced aliens or a future society) we’ll allow “warp drives” or “heat vision.” The pretext, I suppose, is that this stuff is so unfamiliar - so far beyond everyday experience - that we’re in no position to question or criticize it.

That said, we do (legitimately) demand that the more mundane elements of a fantasy story conform to common sense. Zombies may be invading - but telephones, cars and elevators should work in the familiar, believable ways.

And I think most people see the traditional Superman disguise as being in the "familiar category." It’s obviously not one of his superpowers or some other sci-fi conceit; it’s just a normal disguise. So we expect it to have a reasonable degree of realism and plausibility. And if it doesn’t… then you might actually be better off going for a futuristic “nano suit” - which is exempted from "mundane standards" by its very nature.

Dr. is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #481
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

Superman possessing a Kryptonian Nanosuit is significantly more believable than him carrying the suit around in his briefcase or his business attire. In my opinion, it's less believable for an alien that came across the galaxy (from an advanced civilization) to jump into a phone booth and change into the 'super' suit.
lol Let's not blow.... this out of proportion...

I'm sorry you somehow missed the point of my post. I never said I thought him changing in a phone booth, or him carrying a costume in a suit case was believable either. But thanks for the words, they were delicious.


Maybe it's not even that I think Kryptonian nano-tech tights and a cape aren't believable, maybe I just think it's stupid and too convenient? Then again maybe that equates to being unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post


I’d describe the distinction this way:

Generally, audiences will accept outlandish, sci-fi concepts as genre conventions. As long as the context is well established (advanced aliens or a future society) we’ll allow “warp drives” or “heat vision.” The pretext, I suppose, is that this stuff is so unfamiliar - so far beyond everyday experience - that we’re in no position to question or criticize it.

That said, we do (legitimately) demand that the more mundane elements of a fantasy story conform to common sense. Zombies may be invading - but telephones, cars and elevators should work in the familiar, believable ways.

And I think most people see the traditional Superman disguise as being in the "familiar category." It’s obviously not one of his superpowers or some other sci-fi conceit; it’s just a normal disguise. So we expect it to have a reasonable degree of realism and plausibility. And if it doesn’t… then you might actually be better off going for a futuristic “nano suit” - which is exempted from "mundane standards" by its very nature.
Great post, I just disagree with your conclusions. Convenient Nano-tech suit stretches the imagination to a breaking point.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 11-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #482
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Not really digging nano-suit technology. It's a needless "upgrade" for a character like Superman.

nogap87 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #483
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,418
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
How about he wears the damn suit under his clothes like he has since the beginning? Or maybe keeps it stored someplace secure and out of reach in a gym bag or something? (which DOES have precedent in the comics)

"But what about the boots?"
Maybe he wears a dress shoe size bigger or so to compensate. It's not as if he's wearing combat boots. Yeah his feet might look a little big... but then again who says Superman can't have smallish feet? The diesel physique makes his hands and feet look small anyway. Or maybe having the appearance of larger feet would help to emphasize the lanky and awkward Clark Kent disguise. How about... who gives a crap? (#IMAGINATION!)

"But what if his work clothes tear revealing his suit or he wants to wear short sleeves?"
Superman can walk on the sun, spends his free time in the Arctic, died, came back to life, and has fought every kind of weirdo/super-powered-alien-a-hole in the universe. I'm pretty sure the man can handle issues in both body temperature and clothing malfunction.

"Where does he put his cape?"
Folds it up? Stores it someplace secure? Do people really need an answer for everything? Yeah Superman can fly and stop bullets but can't handle finding a place for a cape...

Bottom line... to me, a magical Kryptonian nano suit requires more suspension of belief then any explanation one can conjure to account for how Superman manages life wearing his suit under his suit. It's a superfluous dues ex machina idea that just further removes Superman from being more relatable. It's real simple, just don't depict Superman fumbling around putting his cape on or taking his pants off or whatever. You wouldn't depict Superman taking a dump either. On the other hand...

I'm with you....

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #484
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,863
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
lol Let's not blow.... this out of proportion...

I'm sorry you somehow missed the point of my post. I never said I thought him changing in a phone booth, or him carrying a costume in a suit case was believable either. But thanks for the words, they were delicious.

Maybe it's not even that I think Kryptonian nano-tech tights and a cape aren't believable, maybe I just think it's stupid and too convenient? Then again maybe that equates to being unbelievable.
I don't see how it's too stupid and/or convenient. Superman has always had a Sci-Fi background. Therefore, nanotechnology (or anything similar) was eventually going to be introduced to the character at one point or another. Kal-El is a being from a planet/civilization that is ages ahead of Earth's.

I mean, is it truly "convenient" that alien technology is far superior to anything found on Earth? No, it's logical.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #485
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,863
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Not really digging nano-suit technology. It's a needless "upgrade" for a character like Superman.
Not really. There's a reason why Superman is losing his popularity with the modern audience. It's the identical reason why Returns received a 'meh' reaction.

He's a product of a different era, and hasn't changed with the times like Batman and Spiderman have recently. For alot of people out there, the perception is Kal-El is stuck in the 80s.

Upgrades are essential if you want the audience to respond.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #486
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,748
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Great post, I just disagree with your conclusions. Convenient Nano-tech suit stretches the imagination to a breaking point.
Well… depends on the context. Even among James Bond’s collection of semi-silly gadgets, a self-assembling “nano suit” would certainly stand out as over-the-top. But in a fantasy story about an alien society, interstellar spacecraft and weapons (not to mention superpowers)… not so much.

I recall a comic in which Clark had to hide his super suit because he was meeting friends at a gym. He accomplished this by compressing it to tablet-size (and popping it under his tongue!). And according to the thought bubble, Supes can conceal his CK business suit and shoes in a similar manner.

Now if that “explanation” doesn’t stretch the imagination to the breaking point… then a nano suit won’t either.

Dr. is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #487
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,440
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Not really. There's a reason why Superman is losing his popularity with the modern audience. It's the identical reason why Returns received a 'meh' reaction.

He's a product of a different era, and hasn't changed with the times like Batman and Spiderman have recently. For alot of people out there, the perception is Kal-El is stuck in the 80s.

Upgrades are essential if you want the audience to respond.


And it looks like Snyder and Nolan realized this, as those red trunks have been terminated.

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #488
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,863
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post


I’d describe the distinction this way:

Generally, audiences will accept outlandish, sci-fi concepts as genre conventions. As long as the context is well established (advanced aliens or a future society) we’ll allow “warp drives” or “heat vision.” The pretext, I suppose, is that this stuff is so unfamiliar - so far beyond everyday experience - that we’re in no position to question or criticize it.

That said, we do (legitimately) demand that the more mundane elements of a fantasy story conform to common sense. Zombies may be invading - but telephones, cars and elevators should work in the familiar, believable ways.

And I think most people see the traditional Superman disguise as being in the "familiar category." It’s obviously not one of his superpowers or some other sci-fi conceit; it’s just a normal disguise. So we expect it to have a reasonable degree of realism and plausibility. And if it doesn’t… then you might actually be better off going for a futuristic “nano suit” - which is exempted from "mundane standards" by its very nature.
:

Excellent post, good sir. I certainly agree on all accounts.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #489
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,863
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post


And it looks like Snyder and Nolan realized this, as those red trunks have been terminated.
I love the fact that Goyer, Nolan and Snyder discussed the 'outdated' concepts that surrounds the character in the comics, and what works for his in his own universe. I'm ecstatic about it. I've been wanting to see a fresh take on the character for awhile.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #490
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,440
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I love the fact that Goyer, Nolan and Snyder discussed the 'outdated' concepts that surrounds the character in the comics, and what works for his in his own universe. I'm ecstatic about it. I've been wanting to see a fresh take on the character for awhile.
Me as well, I'm quite excited to see what they brought to the table, and all i can hope is that it's an original and different take on the character, while still be faithful to Superman's mythology.

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #491
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Thumbs up Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I don't see how it's too stupid and/or convenient. Superman has always had a Sci-Fi background. Therefore, nanotechnology (or anything similar) was eventually going to be introduced to the character at one point or another. Kal-El is a being from a planet/civilization that is ages ahead of Earth's.

I mean, is it truly "convenient" that alien technology is far superior to anything found on Earth? No, it's logical.

EDIT: ....lol I had a big long rebuttal I was going to post, but then I realized how short life is. Maybe I'll come back and chime in if the topic is still hot, but bottom line, you want to like the nano-tights? Go ahead and like it


(shout out to TDK, you're the man.)

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #492
TheWatcher
Dapper
 
TheWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,768
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Keaton too old? 'Kingdom Come' Batman was in his late 50's/early 60's, easily.
Oh I thought they were talking about a Justice movie.

__________________
"I have this theory that, depending on your attitude, your life doesn't have to become this ridiculous charade that it seems so many people end up living."

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #493
xmangambit
I come fom the net...
 
xmangambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pandora
Posts: 752
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

I just want to know where it goes when not in use. This will be the make or break of it.

If it goes inside his body... I don't know how I feel about it. Then it's augmentation. He's like a cyborg. Get's rid of feeling connected to him as a person because he altered, before he was a person with extra-ordinary powers and was fun. But a cyborg, if I wanted that I would go play Deus Ex or watch host in the shell.

If it goes inside the necklace or ring he wears then what the hell happens if it's misplaced or someone else gets it?

It's a bit spurious. I'm up in the air I do like the concept but there's con's to the pros.

__________________
"...I was created by Intelligent design, you are merely a descendant of the unmodified..."
xmangambit is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #494
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmangambit View Post
I just want to know where it goes when not in use. This will be the make or break of it.

If it goes inside his body... I don't know how I feel about it. Then it's augmentation. He's like a cyborg. Get's rid of feeling connected to him as a person because he altered, before he was a person with extra-ordinary powers and was fun. But a cyborg, if I wanted that I would go play Deus Ex or watch host in the shell.

If it goes inside the necklace or ring he wears then what the hell happens if it's misplaced or someone else gets it?

It's a bit spurious. I'm up in the air I do like the concept but there's con's to the pros.


This



is better,
then this.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 11-30-2012 at 08:45 PM.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #495
WoodyROM
Side-Kick
 
WoodyROM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,278
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
This



is better,
then this.

While I don't share your fondness of wearing the suit under his clothes, this is hard to argue with

I fully believe that Snyder and co. have put plenty of thought into this. Their answer will be met with mixed feelings I'm sure, but I can't wait to see it!!

WoodyROM is online now  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #496
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Honestly, I would probably be more accepting of the nano-suit idea if it was anywhere close to being duplicated in the real world. I know Superman is a comic book about an alien with super powers and should not be limited to more reality based concepts. I just feel that giving him an overly fancy costume that spreads over his body further emphasizes that he is an alien and goes against the purpose of making him more relatable.

nogap87 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #497
moviedoors
Side-Kick
 
moviedoors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas City, TX
Posts: 2,335
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Honestly, I would probably be more accepting of the nano-suit idea if it was anywhere close to being duplicated in the real world. I know Superman is a comic book about an alien with super powers and should not be limited to more reality based concepts. I just feel that giving him an overly fancy costume that spreads over his body further emphasizes that he is an alien and goes against the purpose of making him more relatable.
I hope they are emphasizing that he's an alien. Born of another world, raised on this one. I hope they push that dichotomy, that conflict, to the forefront. It's so clearly one of the key aspects of Superman's mythology that is ripe for drama.

moviedoors is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #498
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I hope they are emphasizing that he's an alien. Born of another world, raised on this one. I hope they push that dichotomy, that conflict, to the forefront. It's so clearly one of the key aspects of Superman's mythology that is ripe for drama.
Meh. At this point I'm sure most movie goers would rather see Superman punch something rather than a rehash of the "I have two daddies" issue. Seeing how Krypton will be blown to bits I don't really care for it to be mentioned much once Clark gets to earth.

nogap87 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #499
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I hope they are emphasizing that he's an alien. Born of another world, raised on this one. I hope they push that dichotomy, that conflict, to the forefront. It's so clearly one of the key aspects of Superman's mythology that is ripe for drama.
I'm curious, what makes you think that will make good drama? What are you hoping to see?

Personally, what I want to see is innocent, decent people and their kids in terrifying as f-ck danger, either by disaster or villain..... Then Superman swooping in to save the day and look badass doing it. The kind of formula that made that scene in the first Iron Man so satisfying. I want people to root for Superman again.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 12-01-2012 at 12:41 AM.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #500
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,863
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying what you're selling. Superman's heritage (and nano-tech suit) doesn't make him any less relatable to the general audience whatsoever. Kal-El has always been a man of two worlds. Why would it be any different now?

What Snyder, Nolan and Goyer have done is humanize Superman but also showcased him as this ass-kicking titan.

At any rate, it won't be Kal-El's humanity that will bring forth the audience. For instance, Nolan's Batman wasn't marketed as Bruce Wayne's story at first. The crowd arrived for Batman potentially beating criminals into a bloody pulp but they were also treated to a grand story involving the man behind the symbol and legend.

Superman's Kryptonian heritage doesn't hinder a damn thing. It's all in the writing and execution.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.