The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are you concerned about other movies impacting B.O. performance of MOS?
YES 17 26.98%
NO 46 73.02%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Default Re: Man of Steel - worried about Star Trek 2, Iron Man 3, and The Wolverine?

It's called Star Trek Into Darkness.

I'm not really worried about the other films. I am worried about not enough people willing to give this film a chance, but I think that a great trailer can fix that.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
Deathstroke
Banned User

Default Re: Man of Steel - worried about Star Trek 2, Iron Man 3, and The Wolverine?

These are the only films that could screw Man of Steel up:

After Earth. Starring Will Smith (June 7th 2013)

The Internship. Starring Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. (June 7th 2013)

The End of the World. Starring Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, Paul Rudd, James Franco, Michael Cera and Jonah Hill. (June 13 2013)

World War Z. Starring Brad Pitt. (June 20th 2013)

Disney/Pixar's Monsters University (June 20th 2013)

That, and the fact that June is the slowest box office month where many films under-perform.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #28
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Not really none of them are coming out at the same time. My only concern us the bad taste the last film left there are people who won't even know this isn't a sequel.
This.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
These are the only films that could screw Man of Steel up:

After Earth. Starring Will Smith (June 7th 2013)

The Internship. Starring Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. (June 7th 2013)

The End of the World. Starring Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, Paul Rudd, James Franco, Michael Cera and Jonah Hill. (June 13 2013)

World War Z. Starring Brad Pitt. (June 20th 2013)

Disney/Pixar's Monsters University (June 20th 2013)

That, and the fact that June is the slowest box office month where many films under-perform.
Why didn't Warner just release this the week of the 4th of July ?! That worked wonders for TASM
Oh well, let's hope the 3D helps gain $$$
I will see this in 2D at midnight, and then probably in 3D after that.

ConnorKon-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

The comedies don't pose any threat to MOS. They are just counter-programming. If the film is good, and hopefully the new trailer shows that. People will show up.

DarthAlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAlani View Post
The comedies don't pose any threat to MOS. They are just counter-programming. If the film is good, and hopefully the new trailer shows that. People will show up.
People said the same about 'The Devil Wears Prada' in 2006, yet it ended up eating a chunk out of SR's potential box office.

Comedies could be sleeper hits, like the Hangover was.

June 2013 is basically the Man of Steel versus Brad Pitt, Zombies, Will Smith, Comedians and Pixar/Disney.

Also, Superman Returns had a pretty strong start (first week) and then got destroyed by other movies.

Disney was SR's biggest Kryptonite with the Pirates sequel. This time they have their Pixar Monsters sequel which could be just as deadly....especially in June.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #32
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

We'll just have to find out. I just hope the film is good and makes some serious cash. The film I'm worried about the most out of these is Monster's University. That film could make Toy Story money.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #33
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Frankly, everyone should be extremely concerned.

The release of mid June is awful. Absolutely awful. Countless superhero films have opened in the same position over the past decade, and every single one of them disappointed. It just is not a good time in general. Add in the competition surrounding?

If things stay the way they are now, expect a gross around 90/250ish, perhaps 100/275, or even 80/225. I would be surprised i it failed to top Superman Returns adjusted for inflation (250 millionish), but release date is crap.

Putting Superman on June 13th was an extremely amateurish move by Warner Brothers part. If W.B. are wise, they will move Man of Steel July 10th, where they currently have "Pacific Rim". Pacific Rim should be moved to July.

Part of me is highly skeptical they will keep superman in the Summer, to be frank. They've had such little marketing to date, and November 1st is empty. Superman could easily open to 100 million+ on that date, and ride through thanksgiving.

R.I.P. Heath

Last edited by Excel; 12-01-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #34
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Frankly, everyone should be extremely concerned.

The release of mid June is awful. Absolutely awful. Countless superhero films have opened in the same position over the past decade, and every single one of them disappointed. It just is not a good time in general. Add in the competition surrounding?
Exactly.

But...

We'll be fine either way.

We know the film is of good quality, so regardless of how well it does.. the fans will be in for a treat.

If the film performs below Warner Bros' expectations (SR did this while making 400 Mil WW), we won't get MoS sequels ..

But we will still get to have Superman in the Justice League film(s) which WB is going to push for regardless (to tap the Avengers Box Office).

The film under-performing won't bury Superman this time.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

I'd be interested to hear Showtime or Jamies thoughts on the film potentially moving to November. We've had so little marketing that they already seem behind, it seems borderline suicidal to keep it in mid June.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #36
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

Which is why the trailer needs to be amazing. I hate that it opens up a week after a Will Smith film, and a week before MU. And both of those films will be piles of ****. On top of that a ass load of comedies.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #37
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

They neeeed to get into July or December.

Nobody is going to care otherwise.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #38
superhero#1
Side-Kick

If Mos is good people will go see it and it's that simple.

superhero#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
superhero#1
Side-Kick

I think theses movies should be worried about MOS.

When the MOS trailer hit on the 14th people will realize that.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
They neeeed to get into July or December.

Nobody is going to care otherwise.
You make good points, but nevertheless i think if Warner was going to change the release date, you think they would have done it by now.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #41
superhero#1
Side-Kick

I honestly can not wait until the MOS trailer hit because I think It will shut up alot of haters.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #42
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero#1 View Post
I think theses movies should be worried about MOS.

When the MOS trailer hit on the 14th people will realize that.
That is not the way it works.

Including all costs of production, marketing, distribution, merchandise, dvd release, etc - W.B. will spending $350 million+ on this film. 80/250 million stateside is not going to cut it. Frankly, I would bet that careers will end if/when this movie opens under 100 million (which isn't that much money any more). Potter is done. Batman is done. Hobbit is ending. Superman is supposed to be the face for the Justice league universe, which is going to carry Warner Brothers for the next decade. To be blunt, Man of Steel MUST be a hit. Warner Brothers has a lot of potential dollars riding on this films success. It's comical how badly they f'd up the release date debacle considering this; they had forever to pick a summer 2013 date because it was initially planned to be opening A FEW WEEKS FROM RIGHT NOW. Instead they sat on it too long, and suddenly there were no good dates left. Release date is one of the most critical components to a movies success, it's shocking the f'd it up as badly as they did.

"Oh, Hulk, Batman Begins, Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, Green lantern, The A team, all dissappoint or flop - lets put superman on the same weekend".

SMH

If the film is amazing, that will help. But marketing all about buzz & attention. Avengers had the entire month of April to gather buzz, nothing else opened with it, and the week after weak. The Dark Knight Rises was the big July release nobody wanted to touch. Currently, Man of Steel will be fighting for attention with Will Smith, Pixar, and the Frat Pack all at once. These are big problems.Even if Superman is amazing, there is only going to be so much air time to go around. I wish theyd just switch it with Pacific Rim. It'd have a far easier time there.

Beyond the obvious, which is make a great movie, what W.B. needs to do to maximize gross & exposure are:
-Trailer with Hobbit, and has to be epic. They cant hold back.
-Super bowl spot - again, needs to be epic.
-Trailer with Olympus Has Fallen, needs to be epic
-Trailer with Iron Man 3, again, needs to be epic

Then, this biggest thing: word needs to leak that the film is GOOD early. like months in advance. Skyfall, for example, benefited tremendously from word leaking of its quality well in advance. Having 3-4 weeks of people saying "it's supposed to be excellent" was how it opened to 90 million despite the horrible word of mouth of the previous one, which also opened much lower. So, mid May- ish, word needs to get out that the new superman movie ROCKS.

It needs to be all over the internet weeks in advance. This type of precedent will make every tv spot that airs between then and the release 100x as effective. Not only will it be "that looks good", it will be "that looks good AND is supposed to be good".

If W.B. want to dominate the airwaves and capture maximum buzz, they need to let it slip that film rocks early and often.

R.I.P. Heath

Last edited by Excel; 12-01-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #43
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:

Including all costs of production, marketing, distribution, merchandise, dvd release, etc - W.B. will spending $350 million+ on this film. 80/250 million stateside is not going to cut it. Frankly, I would bet that careers will end if/when this movie opens under 100 million (which isn't that much money any more). Potter is done. Batman is done. Hobbit is ending. Superman is supposed to be the face for the Justice league universe, which is going to carry Warner Brothers for the next decade. To be blunt, Man of Steel MUST be a hit. Warner Brothers has a lot of potential dollars riding on this films success.

If the film is amazing, that will help. But marketing all about buzz & attention. Avengers had the entire month of April to gather buzz, nothing else opened with it, and the week after weak. The Dark Knight Rises was the big July release nobody wanted to touch. Currently, Man of Steel will be fighting for attention with Will Smith, Pixar, and the Frat Pack all at once. These are big problems.Even if Superman is amazing, there is only going to be so much air time to go around. I wish theyd just switch it with Pacific Rim. It'd have a far easier time there.

Beyond the obvious, which is make a great movie, what W.B. needs to do to maximize gross & exposure are:

Then, this biggest thing: word needs to leak that the film is GOOD early. like months in advance. Skyfall, for example, benefited tremendously from word leaking of its quality well in advance. Having 3-4 weeks of people saying "it's supposed to be excellent" was how it opened to 90 million despite the horrible word of mouth of the previous one, which also opened much lower. So, mid May- ish, word needs to get out that the new superman movie ROCKS.

It needs to be all over the internet weeks in advance. This type of precedent will make every tv spot that airs between then and the release 100x as effective. Not only will it be "that looks good", it will be "that looks good AND is supposed to be good".

If W.B. want to dominate the airwaves and capture maximum buzz, they need to let it slip that film rocks early and often.
All of this pretty much, i find it a little comforting that this will have a Super Bowl spot which will help.
And i cannot stress enough that yes, EVERYTHING ( trailers and tv spots) need to be EPIC.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #44
superhero#1
Side-Kick

Quote:

Including all costs of production, marketing, distribution, merchandise, dvd release, etc - W.B. will spending $350 million+ on this film. 80/250 million stateside is not going to cut it. Frankly, I would bet that careers will end if/when this movie opens under 100 million (which isn't that much money any more). Potter is done. Batman is done. Hobbit is ending. Superman is supposed to be the face for the Justice league universe, which is going to carry Warner Brothers for the next decade. To be blunt, Man of Steel MUST be a hit. Warner Brothers has a lot of potential dollars riding on this films success. It's comical how badly they f'd up the release date debacle considering this; they had forever to pick a summer 2013 date because it was initially planned to be opening A FEW WEEKS FROM RIGHT NOW. Instead they sat on it too long, and suddenly there were no good dates left. Release date is one of the most critical components to a movies success, it's shocking the f'd it up as badly as they did.

"Oh, Hulk, Batman Begins, Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, Green lantern, The A team, all dissappoint or flop - lets put superman on the same weekend".

SMH

What do this got to do with my comment?

I said theses movies should be worried about MOS.

I think the next trailer on the 14th will scare the hell out of theses movies that come out around MOS.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #45
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAlani View Post
Which is why the trailer needs to be amazing. I hate that it opens up a week after a Will Smith film, and a week before MU. And both of those films will be piles of ****. On top of that a ass load of comedies.
"Both those films will be piles of ****?"

Have you seen Monsters Inc? It's in the ranks of the Toy Story franchise and Finding Nemo. Not to mention it's upcoming 3D rerelease. There's going to be hype for it, and it will influence MOS' Box Office heavily. Poor planning on WB's behalf.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #46
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
"Both those films will be piles of ****?"

Have you seen Monsters Inc? It's in the ranks of the Toy Story franchise and Finding Nemo. Not to mention it's upcoming 3D rerelease. There's going to be hype for it, and it will influence MOS' Box Office heavily. Poor planning on WB's behalf.
Once again, i ask the question WHY THE **** DIDN'T WB RELEASE THIS IN JULY ! ? ! ?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #47
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Because they want to release it on Superman's 75th anniversary. I'm not saying it's intelligent, but there is a somewhat sound marketing reason behind it.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #48
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Because they want to release it on Superman's 75th anniversary. I'm not saying it's intelligent, but there is a somewhat sound marketing reason behind it.
You can say that again lol

Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #49
superhero#1
Side-Kick

Maybe because they feel confident enought that the movie will be a hit from what they've seen.

I don't see why it has to be a negative outlook at it rather then positive.

The competition will prove if MOS is any good.If it's received well by the critics and fans it will do well in it's second week of release and so on.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #50
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

I'll do my part to help MOS, going to see it 3 times in 3 different formats, 2D (standard), 3D and iMAX :P and if its good, I'll see it twice in all 3 formats lol (started saving for it when they released the first official image over a year ago)

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote