The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are you concerned about other movies impacting B.O. performance of MOS?
YES 17 26.98%
NO 46 73.02%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #76
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Man of Steel - worried about Star Trek 2, Iron Man 3, and The Wolverine?

If things go the way I hear, the trailers for The Man of Steel, Pacific Rim and Star Trek Into Darkness will be the highlight of The Hobbit screenings...

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #77
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel - worried about Star Trek 2, Iron Man 3, and The Wolverine?

No offense to the OP and to the Wolverine movie but I kinda cracked up a bit when I saw someone suggest the possibility of The Wolverine hurting MoS at the box office.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #78
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
I'd be interested to hear Showtime or Jamies thoughts on the film potentially moving to November. We've had so little marketing that they already seem behind, it seems borderline suicidal to keep it in mid June.
I really doubt they'll move it again, at least not far anyway. That'd send a clear vote of no confidence in it from the studio.
Anyway, November puts it in competition with Thor:TDW & Hunger Games 2. Less crowded sure, but still hefty competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero#1 View Post
I think theses movies should be worried about MOS.
No, not really. Supes doesn't have the good will these other films have right now.

Monsters Inc was really big 11 years ago ($525m WW), it's one of the reasons for Pixars reputation & it's getting a 3D re-release in a few weeks.

Smiths past 3 blockbuster films:
I Am Legend (2007) - $585m WW
Hancock (2008) - $624m WW
MIB3 - $624m WW

Another Smith Sci-fi/adventure can pull similar numbers (Which are Iron Man & IM2 level numbers, BTW).

Those are the 2 to beat & they're either side of MoS. Throw in a couple of popular comedy teams in (Ferrell/Vaughn/Wilson & Rogen/Hill) & a Pitt blockbuster - that's very tight competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero#1 View Post
WRITER: David S. Goyer
My biggest worry. Easily the weakest link in the MoS chain & it's a very crucial link indeed.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #79
superhero#1
Side-Kick

The Star Trek Into Darkness trailer with the hobbit Is only one feaking minute long, That trailer will suck and not outshine MOS.

Star Trek Into Darkness prologue will only show in select Imax theaters and not in regular theaters

Pacific Rim trailer come out on the 12th.

superhero#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #80
superhero#1
Side-Kick

I love will Smith but That movie come out june 7 and MOS come out june 14.

MOS will grab the number one spot from it.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #81
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
These are the only films that could screw Man of Steel up:

After Earth. Starring Will Smith (June 7th 2013)

The Internship. Starring Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. (June 7th 2013)

The End of the World. Starring Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, Paul Rudd, James Franco, Michael Cera and Jonah Hill. (June 13 2013)

World War Z. Starring Brad Pitt. (June 20th 2013)

Disney/Pixar's Monsters University (June 20th 2013)

That, and the fact that June is the slowest box office month where many films under-perform.
  • A sci-fi actioner starring the only existing movie-star whose popularity is sloooowly but surely fading (last two starring vehicles, one a threequel to his own big franchise, opened considerably below expectations) and a filmmaker so reviled audiences laughed (!) when his name was flashed as a selling-point for a film he merely produced.
  • A "topical" comedy headlined by two stars well past their prime, hoping to "recapture lightning in a bottle." Right down to a Will Ferrell extended-cameo. Just like that last time.
  • An ensemble comedy that admittedly sounds awesome (The trailer to the original short-film is on YouTube, DON'T LINK/POST IT HERE - bad language, is hysterical) and clearly meant as counter-programming the same weekend as The Man of Steel. Unfortunately aiming for the exact same under/over 25 male quadrant as Superman and its stars are over-exposed/box-office poison.
  • A horror genre that, let's face it, is on its way out in pop culture and the single-handed worst film press (the pricey reshoots piling up with so many big writers brought in to "fix it," star/director tension and so-so to negative reaction to trailer) we've witnessed since, arguably, Waterworld. A $200M+ zombie movie. Never thought I'd live to see the day where I said that.
  • The follow-up to a popular favorite, yes. But 12 years later. Its studio is clearly so concerned they're re-releasing the original this month on 3D screens to remind audiences it exists.
Gotta be honest. Looking at all those films as competition, I'm not so worried for Supes.

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 12-01-2012 at 09:26 PM.
FilmNerdJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #82
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
I'd be interested to hear Showtime or Jamies thoughts on the film potentially moving to November. We've had so little marketing that they already seem behind, it seems borderline suicidal to keep it in mid June.
There wasn't a public presence for Avatar until about 4 months before it's release and we all know how that turned out.

Seriously people. Chill.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #83
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
  • A sci-fi actioner starring the only existing move-star whose popularity is sloooowly but surely fading (last two starring vehicles, one a threequel to his own big franchise, opened considerably below expectations) and a filmmaker so reviled audiences laughed (!) when his name was flashed as a selling-point for a film he merely produced.
  • A "topical" comedy headlined by two stars well past their prime, hoping to "recapture lightning in a bottle." Right down to a Will Ferrell extended-cameo. Just like that last time.
  • An ensemble comedy that admittedly sounds awesome (The trailer to the original short-film is on YouTube, DON'T LINK/POST IT HERE - bad language, is hysterical) and clearly meant as counter-programming the same weekend as The Man of Steel. Unfortunately aiming for the exact same under/over 25 male quadrant as Superman and its stars are over-exposed/box-office poison.
  • A horror genre that, let's face it, is on its way out in pop culture and the single-handed worst film press (the pricey reshoots piling up with so many big writers brought in to "fix it," star/director tension and so-so to negative reaction to trailer) we've witnessed since, arguably, Waterworld. A $200M+ zombie movie. Never thought I'd live to see the day where I said that.
  • The follow-up to a popular favorite, yes. But 12 years later. Its studio is clearly so concerned they're re-releasing the original this month on 3D screens to remind audiences it exists.
Gotta be honest. Looking at all those films as competition, I'm not so worried for Supes.
Gotta love this post

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #84
batman44
Go Speed GO

Quote:
If things go the way I hear, the trailers for The Man of Steel, Pacific Rim and Star Trek Into Darkness will be the highlight of The Hobbit screenings...
The film (The Hobbit) isn't too hot?

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #85
SuperAl
Superman's back!

i am definitely not worried about wolverine, that has to be my least anticipated movie next year. The xmen movie universe makes no sense right now.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #86
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I know I'm more excited for MOS than Star Trek 2 and The Wolverine.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #87
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
  • A sci-fi actioner starring the only existing movie-star whose popularity is sloooowly but surely fading (last two starring vehicles, one a threequel to his own big franchise, opened considerably below expectations) and a filmmaker so reviled audiences laughed (!) when his name was flashed as a selling-point for a film he merely produced.
None of those films alone, but the combination will hurt. It quite easily be the difference between a 80 million opening and 110 million, or between a 50% 2nd week drop and a 60% 2nd drop.

Superman Returns plunged 58% in its 2nd weekend. Of course, that was against PIRATES 2.

It is sad to think how differently Superman Returns run would have gone had it not opened a week before the biggest opener in history. Honestly, any other movie which came in 2006 could have opened that weekend, and RETURNS drops an impressive 45%ish (as opposed to 58%), and probably finishes with a 230-240m. Instead...we all know what happened.

Don't say release dates dont matter. For all the problems superman returns had (from the film itself to marketing), it still wold have done 225m+ had it opened any other weekend that year. Instead, Singers career basically died, Routh crashed and burned along with Bosworths, Spaceys been MIA ever since.

Superman Returns was quietly quite the career killer. And to think, doing everything *exactly the same*, but opening it a different weekend, could have totally changed the films box office run. To be honest, it has to be one of the worst release date decisions a major studio has made with a film of such a scale. The thinking was obviously "July 4th = success", and then they excluded other possible variables (like being 7 days away from easily the years biggest movie).

R.I.P. Heath

Last edited by Excel; 12-02-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #88
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I guess we'll see, if its a **** hot film (it will be) then I think word if mouth, reviews etc will bring audiences no matter what is coming out around it. I think people are gonna flock to see it due to the fact that Nolan's name is associated with it.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #89
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
If Amazing Spiderman made 700 million WW only after 5 years from the last sequel, i'm pretty sure MOS can make 600-700 WW 7 years after SR.
U r super optimistic. If WB think as u, MOS will have the same fate as SR. If its lucky, it will make 500 WW. The public n the teenage girls have little interest in MOS. Ironman 3 has incredible hype.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #90
Naite22
Side-Kick

Look. Even though Iron Man 3, Star Trek and Wolverine are all well established sequels to known franchises, MAN OF STEEL is soooo much more appealing! It's ****ing superman! And I think its trailers alone will blow those others far away.

Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #91
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
U r super optimistic. If WB think as u, MOS will have the same fate as SR. If its lucky, it will make 500 WW. The public n the teenage girls have little interest in MOS. Ironman 3 has incredible hype.
I like to think so

ConnorKon-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #92
Deathstroke
Banned User

Lots of really biased views here. Many of these films are sequels with built-in audiences they've earned already, and are proven successes. Iron Man especially. Iron Man 3 is coming hot off the Avengers hype.

Man of Steel really needs to build an audience first. WB is hoping to tap the TDK audience with how they've handled this film. That is Man of Steel's best and only hope.

The name 'Zack Snyder' won't sell this thing, he's coming off three box office failures.

Nolan sold Inception and made that a hit, but then again that had Dicaprio as the lead and Nolan himself directing it.

Objectively, Man of Steel is iffy. For a film with a budget likely over 200mil, it has a large climb to make in the box office.

Superman Returns made 400 Mil Worldwide with the same budget as Man of Steel, and was still considered a financial underperformer by WB. Enough by them to warrant no further sequels and shut the franchise down.

And yes, despite my interest in the film and being a Superman first. Objectively, I have to admit that Star Trek Into Darkness has a bigger chance of success and being a better film. Abrams is incredible, and it's coming off some really strong buzz from the first film. It's basically Star Trek's 'TDK.'

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #93
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:

Not good, huh?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #94
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

This Deathstroke fella sure seems familiar

Honestly, I don't see how IM3 poses a threat, it comes out one full month before MOS. It will face off against Star Trek Into Darkness. The biggest obstacle MOS has to overcome is the possibility of the Superman brand being "tainted" in the eyes of the general public...

EDIT: "STARK Trek Into Darkness." I keep on doing that

Last edited by I Am The Knight; 12-02-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #95
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
This Deathstroke fella sure seems familiar

Honestly, I don't see how IM3 poses a threat, it comes out one full month before MOS. It will face off against Stark Trek Into Darkness. The biggest obstacle MOS has to overcome is the possibility of the Superman brand being "tainted" in the eyes of the general public...
And that can be fixed with really ****ing good marketing.
Good Marketing and word of mouth would benefit this film immensely.

ConnorKon-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #96
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
This Deathstroke fella sure seems
What do you mean by that?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #97
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
And that can be fixed with really ****ing good marketing.
Good Marketing and word of mouth would benefit this film immensely.
Hopefully they cut a really awesome trailer. But if Snyder says the trailer is "crazy", I believe him. The trailers for 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch were glorious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH
What do you mean by that?
He reminds me of a certain "Man".
lol

Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #98
superhero#1
Side-Kick

Dude sound like a hater.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #99
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm confident that Man of Steel will be the best film of 2013 yeah I'm bias but everything I've seen makes me confident. It will no doubt be my favourite film of all-time.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #100
Deathstroke
Banned User

As far as the quality of the film goes, I think it will be solid as well.

I'm skeptical that it will be a better film than "Batman Begins" however. That is a tall order. Nolan's Begins was such a standout film that it completely changed the superhero film genre and even other film genres in how they handle reboots. It was revolutionary to superhero adaptations. So many films have taken inspiration from it. The bar is pretty high.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote