The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Was TDKR a letdown for you?
Yes 98 42.79%
No 131 57.21%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #326
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

What we got on the film was way better than the motivation on Knightfall.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #327
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

I rate TDKR lower than both TDK and BB, but it was by no means a letdown. A great way to conclude Nolan's trilogy.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #328
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
Hmm Bane born in a hellish prison who makes himself a bad ass fighter and educates himself, goes to Gotham and proves himself, figures out who Batman is by himself, takes over Gotham by himself, breaks Batman in his own Batcave.

Or a Bane who is a over glorified babysitter of little Talia, gets kicked out of the LOS, then carries out Ra's legacy cos he loves Talia.

Heh.

Knightfall Bane would eat TDKR Bane for breakfast and not even raise a burp.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #329
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

So taking care of a little child on hell on Earth, being banished by Ra's al Ghul and taking over the League of Shadows, while doing technically the same as comic book Bane... makes him weak?

Interesting.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #330
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Hmm Bane born in a hellish prison who makes himself a bad ass fighter and educates himself, goes to Gotham and proves himself, figures out who Batman is by himself, takes over Gotham by himself, breaks Batman in his own Batcave.

Or a Bane who is a over glorified babysitter of little Talia, gets kicked out of the LOS, then carries out Ra's legacy cos he loves Talia.

Heh.

Knightfall Bane would eat TDKR Bane for breakfast and not even raise a burp.

You make it seem like the only comic counterpart that could beat the cinematic version of a CBM is Bane.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #331
Green Ghoul
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have to agree. Bane's actions in the comics was impressive, but his motives was weak. The guy had dreams about a bat, so he decided to rule Gotham and defeat "Batman" because of fate. That's like having Venom be Australian and deciding to rule New York and defeat Spiderman because of his arachnophobia.

I'm not going to lie, but when I first heard Bane was going to be the villian of this film, the only thing I could think of is "how are they going to make this believable". After learning about the Legacy storyline, it started making sense.

Last edited by Green Ghoul; 12-04-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Green Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #332
Superman Prime
Dreamscape

They could as easily have said that the gap between TDK and TDKR was eight months instead of eight years, and the difference would be negligible. They could as easily have said that Bane had control of Gotham for a week instead of months, and it would have been negligible.

Every time skip in this film is arbitrary to the point of being a distraction, at least to me.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #333
Brita21
Side-Kick

Loved it! Complete opposite of a letdown! Cant wait for it to come out tomorrow

Brita21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #334
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have to agree. Bane's actions in the comics was impressive, but his motives was weak. The guy had dreams about a bat, so he decided to rule Gotham and defeat "Batman" because of fate. That's like having Venom be Australian and deciding to rule New York and defeat Spiderman because of his arachnophobia.
That's not really all that Bane is about in the comics. That's part of his origin, but that's hardly his entire reason for being, even just in KNIGHTFALL.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #335
Franny
Side-Kick

My partner stated something I haven't considered. Alfred' could had been dreaming of seeing Bruce sitting across the way. All this autopilot business' yet we saw him in that cockpit heading out across the bay' right up to the explosion.

Franny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #336
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

EDIT: Wrong thread. Too many tabs on the browser.

Double Edit: Let's make this post count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franny View Post
My partner stated something I haven't considered. Alfred' could had been dreaming of seeing Bruce sitting across the way. All this autopilot business' yet we saw him in that cockpit heading out across the bay' right up to the explosion.

In another thread:http://forums.superherohype.com/show...399777&page=37

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but the ending is pretty straightforward. While I think that Bruce still has lingering feelings about his deathwish (the whole "No Autopilot" thing), it is pretty clear that he chose to save himself. That was the point of the film, that Bruce has to overcome all the pain that was burdening his whole life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Agreed.

Also, I don't think he was sure either that the autopilot will work (even if he fixed it) and that he will survive. I think he learned something from Bane about the "whole giving people hope and then taking it away" punishment. He didn't want to give the people he cared about hope that he will survive when it's most likely that he won't.

I'm not satisfied with some parts of the ending but I'm glad that Bruce survived and finally got the chance to live a life free from anger and pain with someone.
Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

But seriously, it most likely could have been an artistic choice, toying with the timeframe, he could have jumped earlier, etc...

Also, he is Batman.
Quote:
It's like somebody said:

"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"." "
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
It's called editing. It's not like they show you the timer twice to lock in the time frame. They are simply using editing to manipulate the audience, and thye did it to amazing effect.

Last edited by BlueLightning; 12-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #337
batfreakforever
A real fan

what a sad thread. Oh well you can't please everyone. People actually make polls to see if the movie sucks or not. Wow.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #338
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
what a sad thread. Oh well you can't please everyone. People actually make polls to see if the movie sucks or not. Wow.
I hope you know this isn't like some big deal since this isn't the first thread to ever ask this about a CBM on these forums.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #339
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
They could as easily have said that the gap between TDK and TDKR was eight months instead of eight years, and the difference would be negligible. They could as easily have said that Bane had control of Gotham for a week instead of months, and it would have been negligible.

Every time skip in this film is arbitrary to the point of being a distraction, at least to me.
Yup they dragged out times too much in this flick. 8 year gap. 5 month siege. No need for any of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
That's not really all that Bane is about in the comics. That's part of his origin, but that's hardly his entire reason for being, even just in KNIGHTFALL.
Anyone who even read it would know that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
You must be a newbie. Welcome to the internet. Home of places where people rate and score how good or bad things are.

There's a lot of haters of Rises. Ya better get used to it. I predict it will only get worse with time. If it bothers ya that much then the net is gonna be hell on earth for ya.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #340
Anno_Domini
Banned User

At least be realistic though, Fudgie.

You say there's a lot of haters, but there are so much more that enjoy TDKR. It's nice and dandy you want to have a thread to try to prove a point, but the majority shows and so do many other threads about TDKR as well as the acclaim TDKR has.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #341
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
There's a lot of haters of Rises. Ya better get used to it. I predict it will only get worse with time. If it bothers ya that much then the net is gonna be hell on earth for ya.
I can remember a lot of posters hating on TDK as well, it's an endless cycle.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #342
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

There will always be plenty of haters on something that is popular and reviewed well.

I remember there being a ton of people who absolutely hated Avatar.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #343
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
I can remember a lot of posters hating on TDK as well, it's an endless cycle.
The amount of detractors for TDK were a drop in the ocean compared to TDKR's. You wouldn't have gotten anything close to 51 votes on a poll for it being a let down back in 2008.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #344
shauner111
Side-Kick

The whole world has seen TDK. Its the biggest reason behind people being letdown by TDKR cuz they had specific expectations. It had to match the dark knight or better it and for that to happen it needed to go a certain direction that they wanted it to go in. And when they saw that Nolan had something else in mind as the creator, a certain group of fans were dissapointed.

A massive chunk of people saw TDK without seeing Begins, it was a brand new experience. They went in with zero expectations.

When you have something to immediately compare it to, urs always gonna find a dissapointed crowd. It's like this with an album from a massive band who has just released a hit album or a critically acclaimed record by its fans. Even if the album on its own is a masterpiece, you will still get a split crowd.

But i dont see TDKR as a split crowd. Ive only heard of people on these types of comic book forums hate on it. Cuz of their natural expectations coming off of the dark knight.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #345
Anno_Domini
Banned User

There's like what...500 users or so on these forums maybe?

52 votes is a very, very, very tiny amount of "haters" even on these forums I'd say.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #346
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Only 132 have voted on this poll. Out of those over 50 said it was a let down.

- The Joker
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #347
Anno_Domini
Banned User

And then looking at the 172 who voted on another thread that had TDKR being the best CBM of 2012.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #348
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Out of three movies, one of which is TDKR itself, and TASM.

Not exactly stiff competition.

- The Joker
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #349
Anno_Domini
Banned User

TDKR and The Avengers though. That is stiff competition and TDKR is still ahead.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #350
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Stiff competition is when it's up against several great contenders like The Avengers. But it's not. You're also talking about a mere 40 vote difference.

- The Joker