The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #501
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

The one thing this poster does is illustrate superman is a terrorist and a threat to the world.

i hope they manage to show how superman win the trust of the people / world by regarding him as their hero successfully in the movie.

if they can do that... this movie will be a hit!

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #502
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
The one thing this poster does is illustrate superman is a terrorist and a threat to the world.

i hope they manage to show how superman win the trust of the people / world by regarding him as their hero successfully in the movie.

I have been wondering about that for awhile now; in particular, on how many people Superman will be able to win over to his side by the end of the film.

Will it only be a portion of Metropolis, all of Metropolis, or people around the World? I doubt that Superman will be universally loved by the end of the film no matter what, but in the same time, I don't want them to really wait for 3 films before Superman gets some positive recognition from people outside of his social circle.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #503
Radioactive1980
Banned User

I hate to say it but those padded biceps looks fake and dumb. You can tell it's a padded suit and the sad thing is Henry was in amazing shape and the padding was unnecessary. He would have looked so much better without it. You can always tell when a suit has been padded out.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #504
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Snyder and Cavill keep reinforcing that this is a very real world take on Superman. The Justice League is just not realistic as an idea as it relies on the audience to suspend disbelief too many times for too many heroes. So to make it work they'd have to go the Avengers approach and really make it hammy and tongue-in-cheek. Chances are they won't though and they'll try go the ultra-realism/gritty approach and try make it work in MOS's universe, hence spoiling MOS's universe with all these other heroes. (Or they do try and play off the humor of it and totally undermine the gravitas of MOS. It's lose/lose really.)

This is let-alone if it is even a good movie or not. And I just can't see it being so.

No matter how it plays out, the MOS franchise is f***ed. So to those of us that understand that, let's hope it never happens. And with the sorry state WB appears to be, I doubt it'll ever happen in the immediate future.
To be fair if the they go with the veteran/rookie idea theyd avoid this issue.

The veteran/rookie approach means setting the League and MOS during different timelines.MOS will feature stories about a rookie superman in a world with no superheroes,JLA will feature a veteran superman leading a world of superheroes.

Even if its the same universe,different timelines alllows different tones for the two franchises.

Howvere this is the only solution to the problem.If they dont go this route we are pretty much f*******

Last edited by Zionite1; 12-04-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #505
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Ryan Reynolds seems to have learned that on his own as he married her only a year later.lol
Yeah...lucky bastard

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #506
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
To be fair if the they go with the veteran/rookie idea theyd avoid this issue.

The veteran/rookie approach means setting the League and MOS during different timelines.MOS will feature stories about a rookie superman in a world with no superheroes,JLA will feature a veteran superman leading a world of superheroes.

Even if its the same universe,different timelines alllows different tones for the two franchises.

Howvere this is the only solution to the problem.If they dont go this route we are pretty much f*******
Assuming that is the only solution. Do you not think that different timelines are not a very 'sellable' concept for the GA to understand/care about. For that reason I can easily see WB steering from that approach.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #507
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Assuming that is the only solution. Do you not think that different timelines are not a very 'sellable' concept for the GA to understand/care about. For that reason I can easily see WB steering from that approach.
Not really.Have superman spot a different look in between the 2 franchises and have special voice over scenes at the beginning of the movie and/or end if indicating the timeline difference.

Example

We have a voice over scene in the beginning of the MOS movie which shows the Future/older Superman in a epic pose.We then have a epic Voiceover that introduces him as the greatest hero the earth has ever seen and hints at his achievements then the Voiceover ends with the line "This is the story of how he began" and the Mos starts.

Then have a voice over after credits scene that shows Supermans future as the worlds greatest hero as well as the leader of other heroes-the Justice league.

With this 2 voice overs youve essantially established that the Man of steel is about Supermans early years and that the Justice league is about his Veteran years.

They shld keep using this voice overscenes to keep the audience aware of the timeline.

Last edited by Zionite1; 12-04-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #508
Deathstroke
Banned User

If Man of Steel manages to launch a franchise, this decade will really be the golden age of genre films.

We'll have:

- A Superman franchise

- A Batman franchise (Hopefully)

- A Justice League franchise

- An Avengers franchise

- An Iron Man franchise

- A Spider-Man franchise

- A Thor franchise

- A Captain America franchise

- An X-Men franchise

- A Star Trek franchise

- A Star Wars franchise

Even Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters are coming back. It's like the 90s all over again.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #509
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

It's natural for an alien with massive power to be critiqued and I'm glad it looks they are exploring that issue. Saving the world goes a long way in winning people over. But indeed, there would still be uneasy people out there, in line with Luthor's philosophies, and also how Superman may represent the end of human potential. Questioning his boundaries, etc. Batman for example deals with Superman but always has lingering doubts/contingencies at the back of his mind.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #510
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
It's natural for an alien with massive power to be critiqued and I'm glad it looks they are exploring that issue. Saving the world goes a long way in winning people over. But indeed, there would still be uneasy people out there, in line with Luthor's philosophies, and also how Superman may represent the end of human potential. Questioning his boundaries, etc. Batman for example deals with Superman but always has lingering doubts at the back of his mind.
Agreed; and it always falls back to that mentality of: "For all of the villains that you take down, who's to stop you if you were to lose control yourself?"

No matter how noble a person may appear, history has shown that power corrupts many, if not all, to some extent and what could have started out as a righteous crusade against tyranny can easily be warped into something more malevolent, and I'm sure that this is something that would be present within a lot of people's minds when coming across a being like Superman.

Unlike us, the fans that know him as a comic book character, in the world that MOS presents him in, no one has any guarantees that Superman won't ever turn against humanity at some point, or misuse his powers. Hell, even in the comics, Superman gave Batman a piece of Kryptonite as a safety measure in case if that ever happened, or if he ever got controlled.

On another note; like others have mentioned, I wonder what Superman was presented towards doing or what the Government thinks that he did or would do that would warrant them to handcuff him. It's one thing to bring him in for questioning, but to put handcuffs on him; that kind of treatment would normally warrant that Superman was presented in doing something wrong in the eyes of the government.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #511
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Unlike us, the fans that know him as a comic book character, in the world that MOS presents him in, no one has any guarantees that Superman won't ever turn against humanity at some point, or misuse his powers. Hell, even in the comics, Superman gave Batman a piece of Kryptonite as a safety measure in case if that ever happened, or if he ever got controlled.
Exactly. Not that the fourth wall has ever been broken before, but the public aren't viewing Superman as the icon we do. The movie is treating Superman as if this is the first of anything. No baggage, as if no movie has been made in the past. I'd sure as hell be paranoid about someone with these abilities.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #512
Smallville13
Side-Kick

So trailer in 10 days?

On a somewhat meta note, it seems most of the discussion for this film takes place in this thread. Closer to the release date will this become more like a lounge and discussion broken up into the respective threads?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #513
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post

Perhaps Zod requests the military to bring in this "Superman" to him. Superman agrees, they put on the handcuffs to turn him into Zod.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #514
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
So trailer in 10 days?
That's the plan. Should be classified any day now.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #515
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Do you guys think Zod had him brought to him by the military or do you think it is earlier scene where government does not trust him and he turns himself in?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #516
sf2
Side-Kick

I just hope this movie has some humour n fun to watch.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #517
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

The new thing is people trying to say from that pic, that Man of Steel will ripoff the Hancock plot... WOW

Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #518
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Hancock, lol.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #519
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I'm glad the poster is an image from the movie and not just a promotional shot. It's blurry but Cavill looks good and so does the S shield.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #520
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Ryan Reynolds seems to have learned that on his own as he married her only a year later.lol
Yeah, but he left Scarlett Johansson to do so.

He traded down if you ask me.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #521
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Yeah, but he left Scarlett Johansson to do so.

He traded down if you ask me.

**** yeah he traded down.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #522
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Looking around the internet for a general response to the poster and I feel like WB generated more buzz with this poster than with the teaser trailer. I know that sounds crazy but I've seen the image everywhere followed with a debate about the provacative image of Superman in handcuffs.

Alot of us here saw the image leaked from the comic con trailer but most didn't. So they seemed surprised.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #523
Van Petrol
Hound Of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Exactly. Not that the fourth wall has ever been broken before, but the public aren't viewing Superman as the icon we do. The movie is treating Superman as if this is the first of anything. No baggage, as if no movie has been made in the past. I'd sure as hell be paranoid about someone with these abilities.
"People are afraid of what they don't understand..." - Perfectly sums up the situation.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #524
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Looking around the internet for a general response to the poster and I feel like WB generated more buzz with this poster than with the teaser trailer. I know that sounds crazy but I've seen the image everywhere followed with a debate about the provacative image of Superman in handcuffs.

Alot of us here saw the image leaked from the comic con trailer but most didn't. So they seemed surprised.
Whether you like the poster or not, it doesn't matter. WB created hype and got people talking with a simple picture of a superhero under arrest. It gets people buzzing and shockingly most of the comments i have read have been favorably positive. It's a poster that intrigues people. Now once again, not to sound like a broken record, but it could have been executed so much better, but i think WB got what they wanted.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #525
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I also think the general public didn't stare at the meter waiting for it to hit 100 percent. Most people didn't even know there was a poster to unlock. They simply turned on the computer and a poster of Superman appeared.

Closed Thread