Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #176
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Oh, I think a spin-off of any character in this universe would be embarrassing.
So, on a scale of the size of table being flipped, how excited are you see Blake as Batman, then?

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #177
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Yeah, I think it's best to just leave it this way. She did such a good job anyway that she left a lasting good impression to the public. Doing a spinoff might just taint that image if they somehow screw it up. iMO.

If only they made her part bigger in TDKR. If only...
Blame Talia.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #178
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Blame Talia.
It feels like both Bane and Selina may have benefited more in this film if Talia wasn't present in this film.

"Sigh", if only Nolan and Goyer could have used Talia for Begins and The Dark Knight, and replace Rachel Dawes altogether.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #179
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Talia's time was in Begins. I've played the movie out in my head sans Talia and LoS and it makes me depressed.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #180
Kansiov
Side-Kick

Quote:
Talia's time was in Begins. I've played the movie out in my head sans Talia and LoS and it makes me depressed.
Come to think of it, I wonder why Nolan chose to go the whole LoS route. I don't think it benefitted in terms of narrative or continuity. It's like added in to make the trilogy a "full circle" for the sake of it, just like Talia's "twist" was added for the sake of it.

Kansiov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #181
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansiov View Post
Come to think of it, I wonder why Nolan chose to go the whole LoS route. I don't think it benefitted in terms of narrative or continuity. It's like added in to make the trilogy a ''full circle'' for the sake of it, just like Talia's ''twist'' was added for the sake of it.
That was my chief concern going into Rises when rumours started with Talia and the LoS. My mind was saying 'If he's going back there he has a reason for it', but it was just for the sake of it.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #182
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Full circle. Simple as that. I was fine with it, but I feel like more could've been done. It's akin to the Death Star II in Return of the Jedi.

CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #183
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
That was my chief concern going into Rises when rumours started with Talia and the LoS. My mind was saying 'If he's going back there he has a reason for it', but it was just for the sake of it.
LoS was there partly for personal revenge this time, not just for ideology as in BB. That's why Bruce's torture was so drawn out and personal. They didn't need to go through the class warfare or bother to take Bruce to the prison. They could have blown Gotham sky high once Pavel weaponized it, but they drew it out to make Bruce suffer.

It was the boot in the ass Bruce needed to finally move on from his anger.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #184
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
LoS was there partly for personal revenge this time, not just for ideology as in BB. That's why Bruce's torture was so drawn out and personal. They didn't need to go through the class warfare or bother to take Bruce to the prison. They could have blown Gotham sky high once Pavel weaponized it, but they drew it out to make Bruce suffer.

All of this.

Again, the film from frame one is a character piece built to break Bruce all the way down for him to rise a new man. The fact that this intimate story is done on this grand of a scale is kind of a miracle, in my eyes.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #185
NoMoreDeadCops!
Side-Kick

Quote:

NoMoreDeadCops! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #186
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:

Exactly. I liken it to Bruce passing the cave over to Blake. I never believed it meant Blake will literally become Batman and fight in the same way Wayne did. It was simply giving Blake the resources he wouldn't otherwise have in order to protect Gotham as whatever symbol he chooses to be. "The Batman" persona, as it were, is specific to Bruce Wayne. And to the people of that city, Batman is dead, thus creating the everlasting legend Bruce sought in the first place.

Similarly, Talia & Bane's agenda is much different from Ras Al Ghul in terms of methodology & execution. The bottomline is the destruction of Gotham. But Ras was more akin to a religious cult leader, whereas Talia, & more specifically Bane, are militaristic & dictatorial. And once again, Bane teaming up with Ras & Talia is nothing new and plenty of comics have delved into it, so it's not unheard of.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #187
TheSymbol
Side-Kick

There's much hate around Anne's performance.i dont understand that.
There is only one little scene in the movie when she plays kind of over the top in a way i dont really like.Thats the part where she confronts dagett for the first time.but for the rest of the film she's great.

TheSymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #188
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

A Catwoman spin-off written and directed by Jonathan Nolan would be more than awesome.

747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #189
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
a catwoman spin-off written and directed by jonathan nolan would be more than awesome.
this.

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Cagefighterkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #190
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSymbol View Post
There's much hate around Anne's performance.i dont understand that.
There is only one little scene in the movie when she plays kind of over the top in a way i dont really like.Thats the part where she confronts dagett for the first time.but for the rest of the film she's great.
Much hate?...

I honestly haven't seen any. People may not be jumping up and down for her like they did with Ledger but she got almost unanimous praise.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #191
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

^ Yep. Hate is a very strong word and I don't see much of that in feedback to Anne's performance. Most people loved it.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #192
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:

Van Petrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #193
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
A Catwoman spin-off written and directed by Jonathan Nolan would be more than awesome.
It makes you wonder, if Jonah wasn't around to press the idea we may not have got Selina/Catwoman at all. I kind of believe that she wasn't in Chris' plans at all from the start.

Although most seem to be of the idea that if Talia wasn't present, we would have gotten more depth to Bane and Selina, I often wonder had Chris gone his 'presumably' original route without Selina, would we have seen a more fleshed out Talia?

I agree with the consensus who feel Talia should have been introduced in Begins. A real missed opportunity there.

Van Petrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #194
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
It makes you wonder, if Jonah wasn't around to press the idea we may not have got Selina/Catwoman at all. I kind of believe that she wasn't in Chris' plans at all from the start.

Although most seem to be of the idea that if Talia wasn't present, we would have gotten more depth to Bane and Selina, I often wonder had Chris gone his 'presumably' original route without Selina, would we have seen a more fleshed out Talia?

I agree with the consensus who feel Talia should have been introduced in Begins. A real missed opportunity there.
I think so. My crazy theory is the combined arc of Talia and Selina was meant for only one female character and it was split when they decided to have 2 female characters.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #195
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #196
TheSymbol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefighterkip View Post
this.
That would be cool yes.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #197
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:

A boot in the arse that could been handled a hundred different ways. Sorry, you guys can spin it however you like, this full circle nonsense was done for no reason.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #198
TheSymbol
Side-Kick

Quote:
A boot in the arse that could been handled a hundred different ways. Sorry, you guys can spin it however you like, this full circle nonsense was done for no reason.
For no reason? i really liked the idea of it actually,it's really cleverly done.
Nolan ties all the important stories together from the first to in TDKR.
It's now 1 complete story,in the best way possible.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #199
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Quote:
Quoted for truth.

They only dragged out the siege for months so Bruce could recover and train so he could come back and kick ass. No reason to bring the LOS back. It was the same stuff as before. Hey lets try and destroy the city again with an evil machine. Hey lets have a Al Ghul pretend to be someone they really ain't.

Yawn.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #200
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
All of this.

Again, the film from frame one is a character piece built to break Bruce all the way down for him to rise a new man. The fact that this intimate story is done on this grand of a scale is kind of a miracle, in my eyes.
On paper it's rather silly, putting the city through ALL THIS TROUBLE just to get back at one man (only Joker gets away with that on paper ), but the sincerity of how they acted and shot it is unmistakable. That's the aspect that wins me over on it.

But it all really circles around Bruce.

Whether you buy it is personal preference. But you can't say they did it "for no reason." You just don't like that reason.