The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #51
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Default Re: Any word on if this is going to resolve continuity issues from First Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
sorry you've worked on him? I am very jealous, he is one of my heros!
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
What do you mean when you say you "worked on him"?
I work on the FIFA video game, character modeler.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #52
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Default Re: Any word on if this is going to resolve continuity issues from First Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I work on the FIFA video game, character modeler.
ahhhhhhh well he looks good in game.... get someone to sort Luis Suarez .... and Glenn Johnson doesnt have cornrows anymore....

okay I'll stop derailing the thread now

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #53
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
ahhhhhhh well he looks good in game.... get someone to sort Luis Suarez .... and Glenn Johnson doesnt have cornrows anymore....

okay I'll stop derailing the thread now
I had to google those two LOL If Johnson changed his hairstyle around (or after) end of August then it would've been too late for us to get rid of his cornrows.

Back to X-men talk

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #54
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I just hope this mess of continuity is laid to rest at the end of the film. Start the new timeline and learn from the mistakes of not planning these films ahead. It seems they want to connect more, so hopefully it goes smooth starting with The Wolverine.

I really think X Men fans are gonna have a solid new line up of flicks. All the choices so far and interviews have sounded awesome. I really have no complaints with where they seem to be going.
Well, that seems to be Days of Future Past sole purpose; to create a new timeline for the X-Men franchise at Fox and for them to go forward on this new timeline with the subsequent sequels/off shoots.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #55
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Well, that seems to be Days of Future Past sole purpose; to create a new timeline for the X-Men franchise at Fox and for them to go forward on this new timeline with the subsequent sequels/off shoots.
Says who?

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #56
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Jesus.Some of you want everything to perfectly flow together.Most TV shows and franchises make liberties with what was said In dialogue about past.

Star Trek franchises was consently reconning the Borg.George Lucas In Star Wars prequels didn't totally stick to what he wrote about the past.

The Idea that X-Men has to be totally Inline with each other but other franchises and TV shows don't Is getting trying.

X-men first Class had many connections to X-Men and X2.The idea It's different timeline If It's doesn't stay 100 percent to what was said about past Is crazy.

People are trying to make things way way way more compicated than It needs to be.The Idea that Bryan Singer Is directing and X-Men and X2 not part of official film timeline
Is crazy.The future with Sentinles will be post trilogy or post X-Men/X2.
You gotta realize too that Fox chose to make The Wolverine take place after X3 since so far both prequels caused continuity issues. These sorts of things were pointed out by even casual fans so speculating on quick fixes shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Also Patrick Stewart was walking in X-Men Origins Wolverine.

Last edited by Miken Ayers; 12-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Miken Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #57
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miken Ayers View Post
Also Patrick Stewart was walking in X-Men Origins Wolverine.
A film that First Class blatantly ignores and that it appears The Wolverine will also be ignoring, thus far making it the only film that has been excised from X-Men filmic continuity.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #58
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

hopefully, this movie will let them somehow retcon out Last ( or even all 3 1st films ), so that they can start a new continuity.........

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #59
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
A film that First Class blatantly ignores and that it appears The Wolverine will also be ignoring, thus far making it the only film that has been excised from X-Men filmic continuity.
Where was it said that Origins isn't canon anymore?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #60
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
hopefully, this movie will let them somehow retcon out Last ( or even all 3 1st films ), so that they can start a new continuity.........
That's not happening, as it was made crystal clear that FC was meant to be in-continuity with X1 and X2.

Quote:
Where was it said that Origins isn't canon anymore?
1) The appearance of Emma Frost in First Class
2) The severity of Charles' paralysis
3) Wolverine's cameo in First Class
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
4)Wolverine having bone claws in what is apparently a flashback in The Wolverine

Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #61
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Ignoring aspects of two fairly minor scenes is not going to annoy anyone in the GA. Only us, and I doubt it really annoys many people on here. I reckon more people would find it strange that Wolverine looks older in Origins/Flashbacks of The Wolverine than in X-Men.

Quote:
1) The appearance of Emma Frost in First Class
I don't see how this affects continuity. Just two people with similar powers and the same first name.

Quote:
2) The severity of Charles' paralysis
This is the only real inconsistency.

Quote:
3) Wolverine's cameo in First Class
Means what? In origins we see Wolverine in 1944 in D-Day and then in 1973 in Vietnam. First Class takes place in 1962.

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
4)Wolverine having bone claws in what is apparently a flashback in The Wolverine
He had bone claws in Origins.

Last edited by Llama_Shepherd; 12-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #62
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Hopefully.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #63
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Ignoring aspects of two fairly minor scenes is not going to annoy anyone in the GA. Only us, and I doubt it really annoys many people on here. I reckon more people would find it strange that Wolverine looks older in Origins/Flashbacks of The Wolverine than in X-Men.

I don't see how this affects continuity. Just two people with similar powers and the same first name.

This is the only real inconsistency.

Means what? In origins we see Wolverine in 1944 in D-Day and then in 1973 in Vietnam. First Class takes place in 1962.

He had bone claws in Origins.
Let's also consider too that they want to continue the two subfranchises, but don't want to make prequels out of fear of more continuity flubs. THIS was said by Fox so as far as we know nothing's been deliberately erased.

So as far as I'm concerned asking this was not too much of a reach.

Also Llama, I was elaborating on what you said and not arguing. I see how the wording looks.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #64
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I have to say here that two separate friends of mine - neither of them geeks, neither of them obsessing on forums, neither of them big X-Men fans - each saw First Class and independently commented that it contradicted the scenes in XMO:Wolverine with Xavier and Emma.

So, on that basis, I would say that the mainstream viewer is beginning to notice the continuity flaws.

Those are the obvious things that stand out. (Of course there are many other things in that film and every film - just see the First Class trivia page on IMDB)

What we can hope for is a better continuity in future. Hopefully the franchise is being planned out in a more cohesive fashion.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #65
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
No, if they are going to do that, they could have just rebooted the X-Men movie series to make things more simple and less complicated.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #66
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh I though it was a retcon?

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #67
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's not happening, as it was made crystal clear that FC was meant to be in-continuity with X1 and X2.
I wouldn't mind if you said it was "your opinion" but as you're stating this as fact without a shred of evidence I dont think you have any credibility at all.

Last edited by huzzah; 12-05-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #68
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

huzzah: I'm treating it as fact because it IS fact. Here's a direct quote from Singer taken from an interview he did in the lead-up to FC:
Quote:
“Oh something I came up with just based on… When I made the first two X-Men films I was conscious of figuring out how to play the relationship between Magneto and Xavier and I was always very conscious of what their past must have been. What their friendship was like. So that back-story was always playing in my head whenever I was discussing scenes with Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart. So this was a chance to finally go back and explore the history that was always bouncing around in my mind when I was making those other movies.”
Here's a link to the article in which he makes the above statement just to prove its authenticity:
http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-x...-111673/all/1/

Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #69
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
huzzah: I'm treating it as fact because it IS fact. Here's a direct quote from Singer taken from an interview he did in the lead-up to FC:

Here's a link to the article in which he makes the above statement just to prove its authenticity:
http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-x...-111673/all/1/
That's not the original source. Singer actually spoke to IGN. That site was quoting part of the IGN interview.

Credit where credit is due, please. I hate it when original sources aren't quoted.

Original Source: IGN

Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #70
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's not the original source. Singer actually spoke to IGN. That site was quoting part of the IGN interview.

Credit where credit is due, please. I hate it when original sources aren't quoted.

Original Source: IGN
So there's nothing to say he's retconning out a specific film or set of films. In fact he doesn't mention the word retcon or reimagining.

Last edited by huzzah; 12-05-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #71
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah View Post
So there's nothing to say he's retconning out a specific film or set of films. In fact he doesn't mention the word retcon or reimagining.
No, he's never said that. But Singer, Vaughn, Millar and Kinberg have only mentioned X1, X2 and First Class in all the interviews I've seen, suggesting that they want to honour those films more than the others. Whether it's a hint that they are disregarding the other films, i'm not sure.

However, Fox is trying to build a 'shared universe' and a franchise so it must be aware that it can't just throw out films. At the end of last year, an X-Men Complete Collection was released on DVD and Blu-ray, containing ALL the films made so far.

Clearly, there are elements of some of the films that are problematic, or just badly done, and they will not want to reference those again. That's where it makes it difficult to bring back Xavier, because of that silly plot point where he switched his mind into a braindead twin. It's a real eye-roller that just sounds silly when you say it out loud.

I have no problem with them devising a way to retcon X3, perhaps using time travel to do it, but I don't think they should just throw out films. They are never going to build a shared universe if they keep disregarding stuff.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #72
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
I have to say here that two separate friends of mine - neither of them geeks, neither of them obsessing on forums, neither of them big X-Men fans - each saw First Class and independently commented that it contradicted the scenes in XMO:Wolverine with Xavier and Emma.

So, on that basis, I would say that the mainstream viewer is beginning to notice the continuity flaws.

Those are the obvious things that stand out. (Of course there are many other things in that film and every film - just see the First Class trivia page on IMDB)

What we can hope for is a better continuity in future. Hopefully the franchise is being planned out in a more cohesive fashion.
Well one, what I would class as a "medium", continuity flaw out of five films isn't bad. As for Emma, as far as I am concerned, they are very much two different characters, the Emma in Origins, technically would have been named Emma Silverfox, she was just a nod to the character, like John Blake/Robin had nods to Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake.

But yeah, hopefully Fox will want to keep things neat if they want to have more "event" films.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #73
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Another huge inconsistency this entire thread left out is Moira.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #74
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I didn't forget.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #75
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Another huge inconsistency this entire thread left out is Moira.
Why is it an inconsistency?

In First Class, Moira worked for the CIA and was in her 20s. In X3, which takes place 30 years later, Moira was in her 50s and at some sort of medical/research institute.

And she may well have gone from the CIA and become a genetics expert in those 30 years. The version played by Olivia Williams in The Last Stand could have been aged anywhere between late 30s and late 50s. The fact she was a friend of Charles Xavier in that film (she was at the funeral) ties in with her knowing Charles in First Class.

It would be nice to see her in Days of Future Past, perhaps living at the mansion, having left the CIA after her treatment in First Class. Even better if they were able to show her expressing an interest in studying genetics and moving away to Scotland (perhaps having family there?) where we could imagine she would then start the Muir Island facility.