The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
The only reason they did that was to affect Bruce. So we see more of how it's affecting him, not the people, who are doing nothing, just being in their homes. I still haven't heard a good example of where these shots are actually needed. The only one has been seeing more reactions about Gordon's letter, but even that is pretty arguably not necessary.
But shouldn't we also need to feel that Gotham must be saved? I think if this was not following on from TDK and BB it would be fine but because this is after two films where the city is thought about and realised and made a part of the film it sticks out like a sore thumb in this one.

I think the first act deals with this beautifully. We have the fact that young orphans are turning to Bane, cops like Blake have been inspired by Batman, Gotham is very peaceful and that no one is afraid, poor people like Selina fighting against the rich etc etc... in the first act Gotham is realised beautifully.

It's only when Batman returns and the scale kicks up that I think the feel of Gotham plummets. I personally felt the weight of Batman's absense in the first act. From the way the character's were talking, the dark peaceful shots of Gotham, little set details (the rusty bat symbol), Bruce... I felt like this was a different Gotham affected by the events of TDK and that 8 years really had passed. I'm one a few that felt that an 8 year gap was infact a logical step and the first act was one of the most intimate and well done moments of the trilogy. But then when Batman returns Gotham ceases to exist outside Selina, Gordon and Blake.

Bane wanted the people to take back their city. I'll buy that. Infact I love it in theory. But you have to show it. As that honest trailer showed there was no one. As in NO ONE. You saw no one turn to Bane, no one turn to Batman, no one rebel, no one do anything. Hiding in their houses is a lame excuse IMO as that would either A) make Bane's plan fail as the citizens do nothing or B) make Bruce's symbol fail as the people clearly haven't been inspired to do anything. I'm leaning toward B even more so as the people now know that Batman did what he did for the good of the city.

As convoluted as it would be I would have rather they had a plot around Selina in Gotham with the ordinary citizens (making them wish for Batman's return), a plot with the undercover police and Bruce in the pit plot. All of which building up to some sort of rebellion against Bane then Batman comes along and kicks start the whole thing. As it stands it is just Bruce and the police fighting for the city then various shots of Gothamites leaving their houses. Fine. That's good for a run of the mill comic-book film infact it's probably what you'd expect. I know I've sometimes criticised people for expecting far far too much for TDKR but in this aspect I did. After what has been created in the first two films it is hard for me to believe this Gotham would hide in their houses till all was clear. Did they do this with Joker's threat? No the city went absolutely crazy.

Yes they had the threat of a bomb but when the war started that's a signal to take back the city. And the stuff with the police showed under-the-radar work was easily doable.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.