The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #176
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Things you noticed after multiple viewings on DVD / BluRay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie View Post
I have a theory now. The middle eastern warlord was funded by Gotham, he was supplying Gotham business with cheap slave labor or something. That's why Ra's and Talia have such hate for Gotham specifically putting the world out of balance. Their poor country was made hell for Gotham's luxury.
What about all the other places the League hit then?

It's a nice theory, but it then makes you wonder what other places did to Ra's and the rest of the League when they didn't have Ra's al Ghul as their leader.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #177
blackholesun

Ok i bought the standard DVD version from the supermarket and watched it again last night but i am slightly confused by the DVD's run time. In total the film runs 2hrs 37 mins so thats 157 mins whereas the blu-ray claims to run 164 mins and all sites online have the film length as 2hrs 44 mins also!
When i watched the film i didnt notice anything missing from the IMAX version that i previously watched so i checked an online copy and low and behold the run time came up as 2hrs 44 mins again. So without me having to sit there and watch the film again online does anybody have any idea as to why the DVD version is slightly shorter than the blu-ray release? The blu ray certainly hasn't been advertised as being an extended cut so what gives? :/ Anyone?

blackholesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #178
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
Ok i bought the standard DVD version from the supermarket and watched it again last night but i am slightly confused by the DVD's run time. In total the film runs 2hrs 37 mins so thats 157 mins whereas the blu-ray claims to run 164 mins and all sites online have the film length as 2hrs 44 mins also!
When i watched the film i didnt notice anything missing from the IMAX version that i previously watched so i checked an online copy and low and behold the run time came up as 2hrs 44 mins again. So without me having to sit there and watch the film again online does anybody have any idea as to why the DVD version is slightly shorter than the blu-ray release? The blu ray certainly hasn't been advertised as being an extended cut so what gives? :/ Anyone?
Might i ask what country are you from ? Or the dvd edition ? Its the difference between pal and ntsc enconding vs high def. Nothing to worry. You have the entire movie. The encoding of the disk (pal or ntsc) , is basically different frames per second which makes a movie longer or smaller depending of it.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #179
blackholesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Might i ask what country are you from ? Or the dvd edition ? Its the difference between pal and ntsc enconding vs high def. Nothing to worry. You have the entire movie. The encoding of the disk (pal or ntsc) , is basically different frames per second which makes a movie longer or smaller depending of it.
Hi I'm from the UK and i have the standard DVD and i did wonder if it could be a frames per second thing. I was just confused that an online copy said 2hrs 44 mins remaining at the beginining whereas my DVD says 2 hrs 37! The DVD's end credits start at 2hrs 30 mins btw leaving 7 left so you could be right thanks

blackholesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #180
jacobed
Banned User

Blu ray also runs 2 hours and 36 min maybe the credits are longer on blu ray.

I noticed you can see Bale's eye makeup after Bane crushes the cowl

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #181
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
Hi I'm from the UK and i have the standard DVD and i did wonder if it could be a frames per second thing. I was just confused that an online copy said 2hrs 44 mins remaining at the beginining whereas my DVD says 2 hrs 37! The DVD's end credits start at 2hrs 30 mins btw leaving 7 left so you could be right thanks
Yup. Its a pal encoding. More or less 4% faster (a little more , because 23,976 from bluy ray). 6-7 more minutes less. Hence the 157 minutes.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #182
Just_Human
Side-Kick

So at the end of the movie, Selina is wearing a blue dress and Bruce has a purple shirt

The same colors their daughter wears :

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #183
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Maybe a cool nod? Or probably just a coincidence.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #184
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Maybe a cool nod? Or probably just a coincidence.
I wonder

Aaargh now I need to know !

Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #185
kvz5
HBIC

Nah, it's just Nolan's nod to... SHH's blurple phenomenon.

But yeah... That's a good catch. It's also a reverse of their old costumes' colors.

Last edited by kvz5; 12-05-2012 at 01:46 PM.
kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #186
JaD
Thriller Night

I always looked at that as just being a way to show Bruce's bright future instead of such a dim and dark reality he had been living.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #187
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaD View Post
I always looked at that as just being a way to show Bruce's bright future instead of such a dim and dark reality he had been living.
Interesting

Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #188
kvz5
HBIC

Yeah, I liked how bright and colorful that scene was compared to the rest of the film. I think Lindy said too that Selina's blue dress represents happiness and their outfits should reflect that of a casual vacationer/tourist.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #189
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Ok this one has to be more than a coincidence

Yeah it has been posted many that Bane's red helmet was a nod to Red Hood.

But when he stops and looks back, before going back to his headquarters... it just reminds me of this scene from " Under the Red hood", when Jason stops and yells something at Bruce, before disappearing

Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #190
doobie
Side-Kick

One thing I found more strongly on DVD is when Batman is questioning Bane at the end, just before Talia is revealed, he sounds almost sympathetic, like he feels the bond of them both being League of Shadows rejects and wants to reach out to him. It almost makes me think of him reaching out to Joker at the end of "Killing joke". Not saying its definately there though, just my interpretation.

And I like how his teaching from the blind doctor kind of replaces Ra's teaching, how he had to re learn his fear and find something to live for, not losing fear like in BB.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #191
Greens
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Blu ray also runs 2 hours and 36 min maybe the credits are longer on blu ray.

I noticed you can see Bale's eye makeup after Bane crushes the cowl
It did disappear when he took off his mask in the Batcave though

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #192
J0k3r
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
eheh I never noticed that. Nice detail

I rewatched another scenes on youtube, like when Bruce "is gotten" and escapes with Fox and him leaving the pit, and I didn't saw the scar. Maybe because of the hair, or the quality. Or Nolan wanted to show that only at the end. Bruce leaving that life behind, but carrying the consequences.

J0k3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #193
Marvolo
Side-Kick

In the plane when CIA douche fires his pistol near the guys head there is no blowback and no muzzle flash. The slide doesnt move at all. The hammer just falls and you hear a sound effect but no shell was ejected. Even pistol blanks cause the slide to blowback and the casing is ejected. So even if CIA douche kept blanks in his gun to intimidate prisoners his gun would still recoil and eject the casing. Nolan really needs to work on this. If he is going to have guns in his movies and have them up close they need to operate like guns do realistically. You know the aspect he strives for in his films.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #194
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
In the plane when CIA douche fires his pistol near the guys head there is no blowback and no muzzle flash. The slide doesnt move at all. The hammer just falls and you hear a sound effect but no shell was ejected. Even pistol blanks cause the slide to blowback and the casing is ejected. So even if CIA douche kept blanks in his gun to intimidate prisoners his gun would still recoil and eject the casing. Nolan really needs to work on this. If he is going to have guns in his movies and have them up close they need to operate like guns do realistically. You know the aspect he strives for in his films.
I made a similar observation about the Wall Street hold-up in that a lot of the shots fired in that scene are just the henchmen flailing their arms in the air and mimicking gunshot recoil. I thought it was cringeworthy almost. But if it's for a safer alternative in dealing with so many extras or something, then no problems, but whatever.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #195
jacobed
Banned User

These things happen all the time in movies where guns are involved

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #196
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
These things happen all the time in movies where guns are involved
I watch a lot of film but this is the first time ive ever seen a handgun not blowback in a major action motion picture. Machine guns Im forgiving of because they dont have slides that stand out. As long as the machine gun has recoil Ill roll with it. But with a handgun in a closeup on IMAX it is very different. If there is a bang and the hammer is shown falling the slide has to come back and a casing eject otherwise it might as well be a laser gun. Guns dont operate if the slide doesnt move. Its easy to get right and on an IMAX screen it would be painfully obvious and yank me right out of the film.

And considering it is an important object in the CIA douches scare tactics, is in the near center of the frame, up close, and they inserted a sound effect of the gun firing they had to see that it didnt look good but didnt do anything about it. That's lazy.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 12-05-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #197
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Or Nolan just didn't give a flying frick about how accurate the guns were. I'm sure the effects people would have made it happen if he wanted things more realistic.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #198
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I just realized, after watching TDKR eleven times(twice in my own home now with Blu-ray), that perhaps the LoS member inside City Hall didn't try to shoot Batman and only ran up to him and try to hit him with his gun is probably because Talia didn't want Batman to be shot. Plan B could have gone to Talia stabbing him if Bane couldn't defeat him.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #199
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I just realized, after watching TDKR eleven times(twice in my own home now with Blu-ray), that perhaps the LoS member inside City Hall didn't try to shoot Batman and only ran up to him and try to hit him with his gun is probably because Talia didn't want Batman to be shot. Plan B could have gone to Talia stabbing him if Bane couldn't defeat him.
What about all the other armed thugs Batman brawled with who seemingly forgot about their weapons and charged head on to his fist?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #200
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
What about all the other armed thugs Batman brawled with who seemingly forgot about their weapons and charged head on to his fist?
They weren't as noticeable at all anywhere else, even in TDK, than that City Hall scene, where it now makes more sense if Talia wanted to be the one to hurt him.