The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

View Poll Results: Rate MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY!!
10 - Fantastic!! 1 50.00%
9 1 50.00%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 - Terrible!! 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #276
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Default Re: The Official MAVONDURI TRILOGY Thread

Epic bumping again, for those who haven't heard yet. And, some progress reports!

The Last Ascension is going well, I think I'm beginning to finally beat this writer's block thing. It's really becoming the "dark fantasy" book of the series, and I like that. I mean, Mathion was great, but I have a feeling that people generally think, "Oh, so Mathion's infallible?" and I don't want that to be the case. I mean, I kind of do, because then they get totally bait-and-switched in Book 2, so that's a plus I guess.

I'm also looking for established book reviewers. I've already emailed a couple but if you know any, please let me know in a reply. And if you've read the damn thing, let me know what you think! Good, bad, doesn't matter. I like feedback

Thanks guys.

Dark Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #277
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Revamped Revised & Expanded Edition Mathion trailer. Let's call it "Trailer 1.5" enjoy!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #278
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

The Mavonduri Trilogy is now "LEGACY OF THE WOLVEN"!! In my quest for publication, I have to think as a reader would. As much as it's been a part of this experience, to a regular reader "Mavonduri Trilogy" is either a) very hard to pronounce or b) too overly self-indulgent. LEGACY OF THE WOLVEN is much more appealing to YA readers, so that's what I'm going with.

Thoughts?

Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #279
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Default Re: Legacy of the wolven

Trying out the new trilogy title on an actual cover.

Thoughts?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #280
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

This year. This will be the year I get an agent I can feel it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #281
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Alright Hype!sters, I've recently come up with a (hopefully) brilliant idea

The idea? Make MATHION the first-ever YouTube-exclusive audiobook. I'm recording the audio myself, but not in the way you think. I'm going for a more "dramatic reading" angle, making it somewhat episodic, well....why don't you take a listen at the Prologue? It's a test video right now, but depending on the response from the test listeners I may debut it as the first installment.

But enough of me talking, why don't you listen yourself?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #282
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

So is it Mathion or Legacy of the Wolven? I'm mostly just questioning the image on the audio recording. I know you've changed it to Legacy of the Wolven but I don't know if the Mathion term is still important or if it's just an older image. If the latter is true then you'll probably want to update it.

As for the YouTube reading... I don't know what to think about it yet. I like audiobooks but only if I can listen to them while working. I suppose that can be done on my phone if I'm using YouTube but that depends on whether I have internet connection, which my building is spotty on. It's not bad to listen to while sitting on the computer though. I'm curious what other people have to say about it. Have you posted it to facebook or anything to get other opinions?

I enjoyed listening to your example. I've attempted to make my own audiobook for Cicada Song and I gotta say this... you're a heck of a lot better at it than I was. My wife mocks me when I try it. She says I suddenly turn british when I read my book out loud.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #283
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Also, is your books still for sale? I was going to ask how sales were going but saw the link to smashwords wasn't working anymore.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #284
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

The title of the book is still MATHION, he trilogy has just been retitled to Legacy of the Wolven. The YouTube vid I have up is unlisted, just so I can get general opinions from you guys here and at RGI, so yes the cover image is old, I'm working on a couple new ones though.

As far as the book itself goes, I've taken it off Amazon and Barnes & Noble. In my search for an agent, it's best to not have them up.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #285
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I've been debating on how to handle that myself. Cicada Song is doing fairly well on Amazon (well, it's free, but I'm going for publicity at the moment). I've gotten 74 reviews for a 4.3 out of 5 star ranking and I'm proud of that. I figure once I hit 100 I might try to get an agent, showing them that my book has legs and that many of the comments are asking for more (and I will give them more).

However, I've read that agents and publishers don't like to represent self-published books unless they're huge hits, but then, when last I tried to get an agent for Cicada Song I couldn't even get past the query stage. This will be my next attempt, but I'm worried that it's been self-published will hurt more than help, and without that I don't see anyone paying attention to it anyway.

Eh, the pains of a hopeful author.

Also, when you take your book down do you lose all your comments? Can you disable it and then reenable it later and just keep on going?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #286
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

When you take a book "Off Sale" (whether on Amazon or B&N), the sale page is removed from the website, but unless you delete it from your dashboard, if you ever decide to put the book back on sale then the comments and reviews will still be there.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #287
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

I only read the book on Smashwords once. Will it go back up there in it's earlier cut form?

Also, I never got around to reading your other copy you sent me in e-mail. One day I will.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #288
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Cool, thanks etm.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #289
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Edit

Last edited by Dark Sentinel; 03-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #290
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Ladies and gentlemen, cross your fingers.

An agent asked me for sample pages, and I sent them to her. Things may be about to change forever...

Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #291
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Awesome! I'm yet to get that far. I apparently write sucky query letters.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #292
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Awesome! I'm yet to get that far. I apparently write sucky query letters.
Dude don't worry, my query letters suck big time for the most part haha..but sometimes you'll get lucky, so keep trying

I'll keep you updated on this. If she likes the sample pages she may want to read the entire manuscript, so once again, fingers crossed.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #293
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Unlisted "rough cut" of the MATHION Audiobook Experience Trailer

Feedback appreciated!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #294
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

SHH! Re: Legacy of the wolven

BREAKING: The WORLD PREMIERE, FINAL trailer for MATHION: LEGACY OF THE WOLVEN - BOOK ONE: THE AUDIOBOOK EXPERIENCE now live on YouTube!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #295
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

So, what do you all think?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #296
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I would advise slowing your scrolling text down a bit. With the fancy font and the quickness of the scroll, it's hard to catch it all. Otherwise, pretty awesome

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #297
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I would advise slowing your scrolling text down a bit. With the fancy font and the quickness of the scroll, it's hard to catch it all. Otherwise, pretty awesome
I'm actually contemplating creating an entirely separate YouTube channel/account with either LegendariumMedia or LegacyOfTheWolven as the name, and the first video would be an improved version of the trailer. Just some tweaks, nothing major.

Thoughts?

Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #298
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Alright guys, I've finally come over to the dark side and...*gulp*...gotten a Tumblr....

Yeah..

It's growing on me, though. It's an easy blog system and free advertising, so I might as well take advantage of it. And it keeps me writing and can help grow my fanbase.

Anyway, if any of you do Tumblr at all I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out. I don't have full mastery of Tumblr yet, so be warned

legacyofthewolven.tumblr.com

Old 04-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #299
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Damn the agent reading my sample pages rejected them. What's wrong with the story??

Here, if you guys can help I'd be much obliged. These are the first 5 pages of the novel, exactly what I sent to her.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It was dark, and the air was cool. The White Wolf would have normally stood out among the dense brush and gnarled brambles. One might mistake him for a ghost, one of many such claimants to the hauntings of this fell, forested valley, where so many men had met so many terrible deaths over the centuries, but indeed he was as much flesh and blood as the young warrior he accompanied. The wolf was careful with his feet, setting them softly on the ground with each cautious step, head low, back straight, tail between his legs. But his companion was beginning to grow restless. The howl of some fell creature beyond inhumanity, beyond damnation, had echoed throughout the forest over an hour ago, followed by a warning call from the Guardian Towers. But after that, nothing.

In the west the full moon lingered against the blackness of night, pinpricked by starlight and blanketed by cloud, and silhouetted against it was the Western Guardian Tower: its foundations were laid along a lone promontory of dark rock, looking out over the forest from high in the mountains. The soldiers nicknamed it the Left Hand of Laros, one of two that had guarded this dark valley since the first years of the South-realm. And here they had hid themselves, in the brush amid the twisting, writhing trees, looking, smelling, listening, waiting. But there had been no sign since then. No movement between the trees, no rustling of branches. No stench of death that was so indicative of the werewolves of Kânavad, Kânín as the Wolven named them in their ancient mothertongue.

Though the air hung still about them, there was a chill that cut through it like a knife. It was more than just a feeling of cold; it was a foreboding that played on the mind. For in this place the Wolven called Degos Enath all manner of fell, unseen horrors lurked in the shadows of the trees, phantoms of death and worse. Feral werewolves, denning in caves along the mountain-walls, sought to sate their insatiable hunger for flesh and blood, emerging under the full moon to hunt those valiant warriors of the Wolven army who chose to live and defend the realm here, in the treacherous reaches of the world. They were ravening, mindless creatures that had long forsaken what little humanity they had left. And those werewolves from the north, thralls of the Betrayer, sought to maraud their way into Ánovén’s borders and ransack her people, and those warriors here were in a state of ceaseless caution, their swords ever sharpened, their bows ever notched, ever on guard for the attack that would inevitably come out of the night. And through all of this the hereditary Wardens of the Guardian Towers, descendants of Laros himself, stood eternal guard over this ancient borderland of gloom and fog for the sake of Ánovén and her people.

The White Wolf’s companion, the young man in the dark hood, crawled silently beside him like a snake on its belly. In the light of the moon his fierce eyes cut through the shadows upon his face: a piercing blue, determined, without fear, ever roving this way and that. He gripped the bow in his left hand and held an arrow between his clenched teeth, ready at a moment’s notice to cut through the air and into the flesh of these accursed beasts.

They had been together for four hundred years, the wolf and he, and their bond was unique in that they thought each other equal. The White Wolf did not take commands from the young Wolven like some simpleminded hound, and in turn the White Wolf imparted wisdom and guidance to him, and fought willingly alongside him in battle. It was a connection that ran deep, deeper than blood, deeper than soul, an unbreakable bond of the spirit, forged by a fragment of creation itself, but also by death, the dying plea of a mother whose son was now orphaned in the world, far removed from his kin.

He was the only White Wolf in all of Ánovén, the first in twelve thousand years and more: Elekan, a direct descendant of Íne the eldest of the Elder Beasts, held in veneration by the Wolven. But he spent his time here with the one he was proud to call friend, in the thick of war unceasing, forgoing the safety of temples and citadels so as to be on the front lines to protect the very people who had given him shelter in his time of need.

“Anything yet?” the warrior whispered, matching the passing breeze as its invisible tendrils played at the leaves and branches around them, and the moon above shone on them like silver.

Aktethion, Elekan replied in the negative.
(Nothing.)

But he spoke too soon, for as the breeze died away a foul scent caught the wolf’s nose. It was putridly pungent, reeking of blood and death. The smell of wetness on matted fur… the padding of feet on underbrush…

Elekan’s companion had caught the scent as well. He raised his head and inhaled deeply. “Another raiding pack…” he guessed correctly. His eyes shimmered, and from under his tunic radiated a soft golden light. “Twenty, maybe thirty at the most…” His voice trailed off and his eyes darted this way and that, searching. “Nac’vae, where are you?”

They were drawing nearer. The wolf could hear the audible growls and barks amidst the rustling trees. Commands being issued, orders being followed… As they drew nearer a cloud passed over the moon, concealing their faint silhouettes against the darkness, wraiths draped in black fur and armed with poisonous, yellowed fangs… And still with no sign of anyone else.
He could wait no longer. Standing to his full height the young warrior drew his bow taut, and even in the darkness the silver arrowhead glinted coldly. Like so many others before it, this night would end in bloodshed, one way or the other…

At the head of the horde rode Kéle’il of Néktas, tall, proud, and of high Wolven descent. Fair-skinned with eyes like ice and hair of a deep brown color that fell past his shoulders, his dark armor flashed like obsidian in the moonlight. Behind him rode fifty Wolven warriors, valiant and brave, on this cloudy night amidst the tall, twisting trees canopying above their heads like a foreboding cathedral.

What was this, his twentieth tour? He’d forgotten how many times he had been assigned to patrol this godforsaken forest. A fell silence descended over the valley as they approached. Kéle’il pulled hard on his horse’s reins, forcing the steed to a halt, and the horde behind him followed suit. He raised his head, eyes closed, listening intently…

And then in the distance he heard it: a bloodcurdling howl, echoing from deep within the forest. The moon hung ominously above them.

Kéle’il’s lieutenant, Mehedir, rode up beside him. “Do you think it’s —?”

Kéle’il nodded grimly. “Damn the lot of them,” he cursed, spurring his horse forward. “Another raiding pack. To arms!” he commanded. He shifted the reins to his left hand, cried, “Bé-tathálij ktildo!” and almost instantly a long curved sword flashed into being in Kéle’il’s right hand. Following the howls of werewolves that filled more and more of the air as they drew nearer, they charged into the shadows of Degos Enath.

Kéle’il’s horse leapt over a rotting log, his rider pushing him harder, sprinting through the dense brush. Kéle’il ducked his head this way and that to avoid low-lying branches. Light and shadow flew past his face, fiercely focused ahead beyond the branches and leaves that reached out as though to snatch him from his saddle. The soldiers behind him chopped away at the branches with their swords to clear a path for the others behind, but more than once Kéle’il caught the brunt of a bramblethorn bush that was hanging off a low-lying branch.

On a sudden a black shape hurled out of the darkness of the forest and took out two riders behind him, hitting the ground, the sounds of rent armor and vicious snarls rising up out of the underbrush. A pyre of silver flame erupted and caught the wood, glowing bright amidst the darkness, and Kéle’il smiled; they were close.

Hacking his sword like a machete they burst into a clearing, and came upon a scene of utter chaos: some twenty-odd werewolves, between them the silvery blur of a White Wolf, and one lone warrior fighting from within the brush, barely visible in the moonlight, his face shadowed by a hood, firing silver-tipped arrows in quick succession into the fray. When his quiver was emptied he leapt forward, summoning a long curved sword of eversilver that flashed with cold bloodlust in the moonlight. Fire sprang all around him as he cut through the pack without fear.

“Attack!” Kéle’il cried, and the riders leapt off their horses, shouting names of fabled warriors and swords and kings as they dove headfirst into the mayhem. What followed was a blurred memory of yellow fangs and black fur and red blood, and silver fire that pierced the thick shadows of night. The White Wolf slashed with his claws and bit with his teeth, and the werewolves died from that deadly bite, snarling and growling and slashing and biting, a whirlwind of black fur and white.

At last the werewolves’ numbers fell, and Kéle’il stood facing one on his own. It was five feet tall at the shoulder, black-furred with a powerful chest and densely muscled shoulders and forelegs, and glaring eyes of an evil yellowish color. It snarled and barked, attempting to intimidate, and foul, poisonous saliva fell in great globs from its jowls. Its fur had been singed by its dying pack-mates, caked with the blood of felled enemies, altogether loathsome and depraved to look upon. Kéle’il stood with his sword at the ready as they circled each other, fighting as hard mentally as physically, each trying to pierce the other’s mind and preempt his next move. Kéle’il feinted right, but the werewolf pounced to its left. The rider was caught at unawares and the werewolf laid into him with a powerful shoulder, launching Kéle’il some yards back and into the trunk of a gnarled rowan.

Pain shot through Kéle’il’s back as he hit; here the armor served to do more harm than good. The werewolf paced around him, cornering its prey and savoring the taste of flesh and blood. Unless the moonlight was playing some trick on his mind, Kéle’il almost thought he could see the thing smiling. Kéle’il smiled back at his foe through his pain.

“So, that’s how you want to play it…” he said as he got to his feet. He was shaken, slightly, but otherwise unscathed. Kéle’il yanked his armor off, nonchalantly brushed some detritus from his shoulder and whirled his sword to the ready, diving forward, hurling the sword in a mighty arc for the beast’s neck, but the werewolf dodged out of the way, rolling on the ground and taking the high ground behind. The beast reared up on its hind legs and roared, then crouched and launched itself toward Kéle’il. He reached with his blade to impale the beast, but without warning an arrow flew out of the darkness and pierced its shoulder.

And then it was done. As the werewolf landed with a thud to the ground, sliding to a stop inches from Kéle’il’s feet, Degos Enath fell silent as a tomb. Kéle’il surveyed the scene: many of the horses were dead thanks to the werewolves, wantonly ripped to pieces during the chaos. Kéle’il had to step over one severed head as he made his way through, assessing his men.

As he looked among the dead he saw men he’d fought alongside for decades laying among them, their throats ripped away, entrails splayed on the soil like worms. It was a grim scene, to say the least, and Kéle’il said a silent prayer for each one he passed.

And suddenly a fell snarl chased away the silence, and another black shape burst from the between the trees, claws outstretched and mouth wide and ravenous. There was no time to react, and Kéle’il prayed to the Shaper for a quick death. But the thing burst afire, spraying Kéle’il with gore and ash. Kéle’il coughed and wiped blood and bile from his face. Standing before him was the hooded warrior with the curved blade, his face still hidden in shadow, ornate bow in hand and an empty quiver slung about his shoulders. And beside him, white fur stained with rubies of blood and crimson around the mouth and muzzle, was the White Wolf…

Thoughts?

Last edited by Dark Sentinel; 04-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #300
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Few updates, for more frequent updates follow me on Twitter @Mavonduri.

- Found a new literary agent to query, seems like she's looking for what I have so fingers crossed

- The Last Ascension is coming along well, new challenges being discovered for our heroes.

- The first episode of the Audiobook Experience will be the Foreword & Prelude to Mathion. The Foreword is a "Dear Reader" (or "Dear Listener" for AE listeners), and the Prelude is a letter from the man who discovered the texts from which the LOTW Trilogy comes. Hoping to finish that in a week or two, but keep your eyes and ears out!

All in all, some good stuff happening. Thanks for your support guys!