The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #701
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
I'm actually wondering if it'll be a scene like at the end of Avengers where tv reporter is covering whatever has happened on Earth and it's effect, and we see people returning to some of the "old ways" and worshipping Thor. That probably won't go over well with a few other major religions though. LOL
If its just a hand full of hippy pagan types no one will care. The only way religious people would be upset if they made it seem like normal every day people abandoned there faith a started worshiping Thor.

That reminds me the Captain America line in The Avengers sure went over well with the Religious crowd.

Natasha Romanoff: I'd sit this one out, Cap.
Steve Rogers: I don't see how I can.
Natasha Romanoff: These guys come from legend, Captain. They're basically gods.
Steve Rogers: There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like *that.*

(Thunderous Applause, Cheers, and Whistles)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-05-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #702
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Quote:
I'm actually wondering if it'll be a scene like at the end of Avengers where tv reporter is covering whatever has happened on Earth and it's effect, and we see people returning to some of the "old ways" and worshipping Thor. That probably won't go over well with a few other major religions though. LOL
That's my thinking, too.
In this age of religious syncretism, it's absolutely inevitable that somebody is going to start worshipping Thor as a god again. Still amazes me that the comic book hasn't addressed this possibility after 50+ years.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #703
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
You damn right

Oh Idris just winked at me *swoons*

Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #704
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
That's my thinking, too.
In this age of religious syncretism, it's absolutely inevitable that somebody is going to start worshipping Thor as a god again. Still amazes me that the comic book hasn't addressed this possibility after 50+ years.
I thought that was one of the elements in Ultimates Thor--Thor worship. His followers are literally following him around. And I keep running across comments from people saying the movies draw in part from Ultimates Thor. So it seems like it would make sense for them to do this.

That said, Stonehenge wasn't a Norse religious site, so if they have some Thor worship there, I think it will look kind of dumb.

After the events of New York, it's also logical for there to be a bunch of merchandising tie-ins (as there is in real life). Actually, there may be even more cheesy stuff, since Thor has higher priorities than to pursue legal challenges to control use of his likeness

(And props to CherokeeSam for expanding my vocabulary today! )

Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #705
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
That said, Stonehenge wasn't a Norse religious site, so if they have some Thor worship there, I think it will look kind of dumb.
I realize that of course, however if the BIG attack on Earth takes place in England as it appears it does, then it might make sense for some of those people to gather to worship/celebrate an "old god" in such a place. There could be other scenes on tv all over the world depicting that same thing, for that matter. But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

LOL, though, why am I now reminded of Life of Brian here?

Brian's Mum: "He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!"

Last edited by elizah72; 12-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #706
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
If its just a hand full of hippy pagan types no one will care. The only way religious people would be upset if they made it seem like normal every day people abandoned there faith a started worshiping Thor.

That reminds me the Captain America line in The Avengers sure went over well with the Religious crowd.

Steve Rogers: There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like *that.*

Like I've said before, I don't feel like I personally have a good sense for to what people will or will not take offense.

I think there are some who would like to see only their own point of view represented, but there are far more people want to not be charicatured or mocked. I wouldn't say that I'm in that "Religious crowd" to which you refer, but I actually really like this line from Captain America. I think it captures well both an element of his character and an attribute of the time from which he came, a time in which he is still living, to some extent. (There are some deleted scenes from The Avengers that brings this out further.)

As it happens, I just got done reading a Captain America compilation that we have lying around the house (because interlibrary loan is so slow about bringing me Simonson's run). This is from Stan Lee's intro. (Sorry it's lengthy, but it's Stan Lee, y'know? And this is the version I've edited.)

Quote:
[Captain America is] the personification of the old-fashioned virtues that have made America what it is today--and no cracks, hear? He's the straight-thinking, straight-shooting, straight-talking type of straight-arrow guy we all tried to emulate in a much simpler, squarer, less complicated era. . . .Yep, in the time that C.A. first appeared on the comicbook horizon, it was still in fashion to be intensely patriotic, to be proud of one's country, to talk it up for democracy
I feel the line you highlighted has that same vibe.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #707
elizah72
Side-Kick

I am a "devout atheist" not unlike the person who wrote Cap's line there and I thought it was a great line for him to have... Of course I didn't applaud or whoop when I first heard him say it, but still a perfect line for him to have at that moment. Joss says something about that in the Avengers dvd commentary too. Something like he "wouldn't say that, but Cap would."

Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #708
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am a "devout atheist" not unlike the person who wrote Cap's line there and I thought it was a great line for him to have... Of course I didn't applaud or whoop when I first heard him say it, but still a perfect line for him to have at that moment. Joss says something about that in the Avengers dvd commentary too. Something like he "wouldn't say that, but Cap would."
Exactly.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #709
elizah72
Side-Kick

Was it already reported that Anthony Hopkins may have been at Bourne woods location as well? (no pictures that I know of)

Quote:
As we set off back to the car, a trailer arrived on the back of a truck. The only give away was a printed A4 paper marked Odin in the trailer's window. Odin is the character played by the great Sir Anthony Hopkins... lights, camera, action!
http://surrey.greatbritishlife.co.uk...s-iii/id/7446/

Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #710
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:

Cap is probably the only person (fictional or real) who can get away with saying this stupid line without me losing any quantum of respect for that person.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #711
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I was one of the cheerers at that line I must admit.

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #712
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

um it's BWIAN
Quote:
I realize that of course, however if the BIG attack on Earth takes place in England as it appears it does, then it might make sense for some of those people to gather to worship/celebrate an "old god" in such a place. There could be other scenes on tv all over the world depicting that same thing, for that matter. But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

LOL, though, why am I now reminded of Life of Brian here?

Brian's Mum: "He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!"

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #713
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:

Luckily in my theater there was no cheers and applause, just a brief chuckle, myself included (despite my distaste toward religion)

but agreed with Hythlodeus, Cap's the only person who could say that and not sound cheesy and ridiculous

Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #714
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I love that about Cap, old-fashioned ways. I kinda wish Thor and Cap had more interaction in The Avengers.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #715
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Cap is probably the only person (fictional or real) who can get away with saying this stupid line without me losing any quantum of respect for that person.
I must ask why that is the case for you?

Same to BoredGuy

Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #716
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
I must ask why that is the case for you?

Same to BoredGuy
Freud said it best:

"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life."

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #717
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

The problem with Thor worship being involved in any form is that the religion of Odinism has strong ties to white supremacy and I can see that being a little problematic :P

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #718
steintym
Stay Frosty

Religious views aside, that did seem like a very Cap thing to say. It definitely portrayed his old school, traditional views.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #719
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Yeah, I remember my friend groaning at the time which obviously triggered a looooooong explanation from me as to why that line was perfectly in character and totally not propaganda.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #720
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think that, post Thor 1, Thor would probably be a tad bit uncomfortable if humans started worshiping him. Especially since the Asgardians pretty clearly don't view themselves as 'gods', for most definitions of the term.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #721
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

heh I kind of think of Coulson talking about the Action figure Selvig had of thor that was cut from Avengers. lol
Tho I would LOVE to see how he handles being worshipped TODAY now that he has some humility and isn't a "kid" anymore.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #722
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
heh I kind of think of Coulson talking about the Action figure Selvig had of thor that was cut from Avengers. lol
Tho I would LOVE to see how he handles being worshipped TODAY now that he has some humility and isn't a "kid" anymore.
I hadn't known about that bit with the action figure. Ha! That's funny.

(Though I thought the events of Thor1 were a big secret, so why would anyone have an action figure out yet?)

I would think Thor would feel rather uncomfortable about such worship.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #723
Caboose
Side-Kick

The upcoming poster for the cast and crew by the same artist who did the one for teh first movie is on the site that shall not be named. (if it's real)

Possible hints: The 'o' in Thor is an eclipse. Also, the lightning/energy seems to be a variety of colours. Perhaps hinting at Thor gaining the ability to use Mjolnir to travel between worlds?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #724
elizah72
Side-Kick

RE: Thor poster

http://instagram.com/p/S24r-th8_W/

http://www.examiner.com/article/olly...d-on-instagram

Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #725
American Maid
Side-Kick

A bit of unfortunate visual coincidence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tron_poster.jpg

Closed Thread