The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #726
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Why are the crew posters always so much better than the real ones? That thing is AWESOME.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #727
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
A bit of unfortunate visual coincidence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tron_poster.jpg
HA! The first thing I thought of when I saw it was the SW A New Hope poster.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #728
Superhero 101
DESI

I know people are saying it's a rip off of Tron or He-man whatever have you but I think this poster looks better

Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #729
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
The upcoming poster for the cast and crew by the same artist who did the one for teh first movie is on the site that shall not be named. (if it's real)

Possible hints: The 'o' in Thor is an eclipse. Also, the lightning/energy seems to be a variety of colours. Perhaps hinting at Thor gaining the ability to use Mjolnir to travel between worlds?
Good eye on both counts.

I'm not *entirely* sure the actual poster has the multicolored beam like that, though --- there's the possibility that the terrible resolution on this Instagram or whatever does funky things to the color (i.e., a bad photo of the poster).

But if it is, indeed, a multicolored beam, then it's surely meant to represent the Rainbow Bridge. If Mjolnir becomes the actual gateway between worlds.....wow. Just too cool. Even Thor's best writers never came up with that angle.

The eclipse gets me thinking about a race against time. A few weeks ago, we were discussing rumors about time and even time travel playing a big element in the movie, and that this was why Greenwich was chosen in particular --- i.e., the Prime Meridian. Maybe if the sun's shadow during an eclipse reaches the Prime Meridian by a certain time, Malekith is able to unleash some apocalypse or other (such as Surtur and his fiery friends).

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #730
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Could also have to do with "descending the universe into darkness" from the synopsis.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #731
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
A bit of unfortunate visual coincidence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tron_poster.jpg
I kept thinking of He-man when I saw the Thor crew poster. :P

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-06-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #732
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Could also have to do with "descending the universe into darkness" from the synopsis.
could be that he causes a permanent eclipse on Earth to keep it in darkness. In the release from the studio made regarding filming at Butlers Wharf, when they filmed at the River Thames they wanted it at high tide.

Quote:
One of our key locations in the film is the Old Naval College at Greenwich and we have various scenes to film that involve the Thames at high tide, camera boats, and aerial filming from a helicopter. To achieve this, we have to film before the clocks change, and the tides are right, and this has fallen on Sunday 21st October .... .... We need to achieve this when the river is quiet from commercial vessels and the tides are right, which means we are proposing to shoot with the helicopter between the hours of 0700 and 1100.
from CBM

edit: sorry had a bit of a brain fart so early in the morning, no that wouldn't make all of the Earth completely dark, but clearly a solar eclipse is very likely to be part of what's going on in the film, based on the synopsis, and this poster.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-06-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #733
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
could be that he causes a permanent eclipse on Earth to keep it in darkness. In the release from the studio made regarding filming at Butlers Wharf, when they filmed at the River Thames they wanted it at high tide.

from CBM
That would be pretty damn impressive if Malekith could create a "permanent eclipse," as that would entail literally stopping the Moon in its orbital tracks. (!!! ) And, of course, that lunar shadow would only fall on a small portion of Earth anyway, so....yeah.

What *is* impressive is the attention to detail from the filmmakers in that scene description above. Whatever effect they're trying to achieve could most likely be done with CGI, but the fact that Taylor wanted to make it authentic by waiting for exactly the right time and exactly the right conditions to film is very commendable.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #734
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Good eye on both counts.

I'm not *entirely* sure the actual poster has the multicolored beam like that, though --- there's the possibility that the terrible resolution on this Instagram or whatever does funky things to the color (i.e., a bad photo of the poster).

But if it is, indeed, a multicolored beam, then it's surely meant to represent the Rainbow Bridge. If Mjolnir becomes the actual gateway between worlds.....wow. Just too cool. Even Thor's best writers never came up with that angle.

The eclipse gets me thinking about a race against time. A few weeks ago, we were discussing rumors about time and even time travel playing a big element in the movie, and that this was why Greenwich was chosen in particular --- i.e., the Prime Meridian. Maybe if the sun's shadow during an eclipse reaches the Prime Meridian by a certain time, Malekith is able to unleash some apocalypse or other (such as Surtur and his fiery friends).
But in the Thor comics Mjolnir CAN be used to teleport between worlds..

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #735
Raoul Duke
Banned User

Mjolnir should be able to do all sorts of wacky things. not just summon lightning and whack people around the head, like what brian bendis and matt fraction wish you to believe.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #736
American Maid
Side-Kick

I'm going to try pasting the images in, since it seems relevant. (Seems it only lets me do thumbnails.)
Quote:
Tron_poster.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post

Quote:
HA! The first thing I thought of when I saw it was the SW A New Hope poster.
They probably all owe a debt to Star Wars. That film re-energized interest in fantastical films, special effects, classical orchestral scores, and yes, movie posters. And while digging up this Star Wars poster (called "Style A"), I came across several other franchises using similar assemblies of imagery.

StarWars_B2_Seito-1-500x693.jpg

Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #737
elizah72
Side-Kick

If he sticks Jane in there with that Leia pose (with her little gadget in her hand instead of a gun) I'm going to burst out laughing.

Or perhaps Darcy with a taser? LOL

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #738
Raoul Duke
Banned User

i did like the first thor film, but it did seem too much like a kiddy disney movie. i hope this retains the charm, but has a nastier edge to it. i trust taylor will bring that.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #739
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
If he sticks Jane in there with that Leia pose (with her little gadget in her hand instead of a gun) I'm going to burst out laughing.
Well, especially since the Star Wars franchise had Natalie Portman's character very deliberately evoke visual references to Leia. For example:

natalie-portman-star-wars-padme-amidala-photo-88.jpg

Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #740
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post

Apparently Thor hasn't quite figured out the whole Cringer/Battle Cat transformation part...

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #741
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I'm surprised Thor hasn't devoured that poptart. Tis' good crap.
And I don't think it was a kiddy movie. I'd say they played it a bit safe, which is understandable considering it was Thor's debut.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #742
marvel_freshman
Side-Kick

Finally! Descriptions of footage presented a convention in Italy, via Thor2Fans. Presented by Nigel Cook, Marvel Ent. Intl. Vice President. I gathered a few (roughly translated) descriptions Couple of little spoilers:

Quote:
“In the preview, a voice-over is heard with the oath of the God of Thunder as the new supreme ruler. We see a clash between Thor and the enemy army, in a world that is neither Asgard let alone the Earth. We see Chris Hemsworth wielding his hammer and Tom Hiddleston as Loki first wounded without a helmet, with long, loose hair and then imprisoned; his anger increasingly desperate and irrational. Then there's a scene later in which he is free again, but still furious.

The rest of the images show glimpses of Asgard, with Anthony Hopkins as Odin and Natalie Portman in clothes that seem more like a princess; an Asgardian princess. In between, there are images of an epic battle on horseback, who seems to have left an epic cloak-and-dagger. The threat to the Asgardians is certainly a new alien race pale (now identified as the dark elves).

A black spaceship shaped irregularly looks like a serious threat to Asgard. More sequences show Natalie Portman then alongside Thor lying on the ground, probably overwhelmed in a clash.”
http://www.lavika.it/2012/12/prima-c...eb+Magazine%29

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...one-230683.php

http://www.bestmovie.it/news/thor-th...ndiale/191652/

http://www.primissima.it/cinema_news...econdo_disney/

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #743
elizah72
Side-Kick

Nice! thanks Marvel Freshman for all your hard work!

Very minor but...

http://www.davidnorfolk.co.uk/menu.asp?menu_id=12

Quote:
November 2012 role as a diner in the OXO restaurant in the feature film Thursday Mourning (Thor The Dark World). Directed by Alan Taylor. Produced by Asgard Productions II UK Ltd.
OXO restaurant http://www.harveynichols.com/oxo-tower-london

Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #744
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

That footage sounds awesome! will that be the first trailer?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #745
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel_freshman View Post
Finally! Descriptions of footage presented a convention in Italy, via Thor2Fans. Presented by Nigel Cook, Marvel Ent. Intl. Vice President. I gathered a few (roughly translated) descriptions Couple of little spoilers:
Quote:
“In the preview, a voice-over is heard with the oath of the God of Thunder as the new supreme ruler. We see a clash between Thor and the enemy army, in a world that is neither Asgard let alone the Earth. We see Chris Hemsworth wielding his hammer and Tom Hiddleston as Loki first wounded without a helmet, with long, loose hair and then imprisoned; his anger increasingly desperate and irrational. Then there's a scene later in which he is free again, but still furious.

The rest of the images show glimpses of Asgard, with Anthony Hopkins as Odin and Natalie Portman in clothes that seem more like a princess; an Asgardian princess. In between, there are images of an epic battle on horseback, who seems to have left an epic cloak-and-dagger. The threat to the Asgardians is certainly a new alien race pale (now identified as the dark elves).

A black spaceship shaped irregularly looks like a serious threat to Asgard. More sequences show Natalie Portman then alongside Thor lying on the ground, probably overwhelmed in a clash.”
*gasp* need to see... need images...need LOKI!!!!!

Okay, I'm done being melodramatic

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #746
American Maid
Side-Kick

Hmmm. Some of those details seem consistent with some of the spoilers that have come before. Some, not so much. It's odd that there's no mention of, really, anything from the Simonson arc. Odd for the God of Thunder to be the supreme ruler, unless Surtur really does appear in this film.

Regarding "Asgardian princess" garb, I am loathe to read anything into that at the moment. My guess would be that there is a dress code for appearing at court (no red Wellies in the throne room ). We already know that Hopkins and Portman were going to have (a) scene(s) together.

Thanks for the very interesting tidbit, marvel_freshman!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #747
elizah72
Side-Kick

Translated by Bing...

http://www.bestmovie.it/news/thor-the-dark-world-presentata-la-prima-clip-in-anteprima-mondiale/191652/
Quote:
Thor, Thor 2: The Dark World, will have a fantasy dimension, particularly science fiction, even more accentuated the progenitor. This emerges from the source paper clips – i.e. without digital postproduction – we've seen the world premiere ("you're the first in the world to see it, except for who was present on the set," said the Vice-President of the international division of Marvel Nigel Cook in the room) at the Giornate Professionali di Sorrento.

After the clip, Cook has almost wanted to reassure the audience, adding that "the beginning and end of the film is still set on Earth, then the public will not be difficult to identify. In the Assembly we have seen, in fact, we see the feverish fight scenes involve Thor and an enemy army, and who might remember the atmosphere of a game of Thrones or some war predicaments of the Star Wars Saga. Against the backdrop of a forest, in the middle of a clearing, among the dust, we in fact face off anthropomorphic creatures, but also a big "gorilla" krosan tusker: a rather alien fauna varies so, although not extreme in size (there are also some envoys/ambassadors of a people mysterious, with oval face and black eyes, elongated and sunken). Loki appears for a few moments without masks and crowns, with loose hair, sitting with crazy look in any prison. The rest of the images show glimpses of the great palaces of Asgard, with Anthony Hopkins portrayed with the same look of the first episode and a Natalie Portman as Princess asgardiana, with the traditional clothes of that people, along with Thor.

Cook said he was generally concerned that Thor 2 receives the same attention and the same welcoming of Iron Man 3, on which it no doubt (the first trailer has made 4 times the viewing the trailer of The Avengers), as the characters and their world are less familiar to the general public. On the other hand, it also ensures that "The Avengers was a point of no return for Marvel films", which from now on will always raise on the grandeur of the locations and special effects and the General level of spectacularity.
http://www.lavika.it/2012/12/prima-c...eb+Magazine%29

Quote:
In Sorrento, Nigel Cook, Vice-President of the Marvel world premiere unveiled the very first clip of Thor: The Dark World

During the Professional Film Days in Sorrento, was presented the first clip in the world premiere of the sequel to Thor: The Dark World.

The clip was submitted by Nigel Cook, Vice-President of Marvel. In the preview, free of postproduction, we see a fight between Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and the enemy army, in a world that is neither Asgard let alone the Earth. For a moment you see Loki (Tom Hiddleston), without helmet, unmasked (the same one that was in the final of The Avengers) with long hair and loose and air by crowds that has always distinguished it is sitting in a prison.

Then you see the Asgard again and its inhabitants including Odin, Thor and Anthony Hopkins, Jane (Natalie Portman) dressed as a Princess asgardiana.

Cook said he was worried about how Thor 2 be upheld, because the public is more eager to wait for Iron Man 3. But you just have to be confident.
oh, my... I wonder if Loki without "masks"/unmasked means they've imprisoned him as a Frost Giant. Now for him that IS punishment.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #748
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
oh, my... I wonder if Loki without "masks"/unmasked means they've imprisoned him as a Frost Giant. Now for him that IS punishment.
I think they mean it literally--without the mask/muzzle he wore at the end of The Avengers.

The real question is not whether he is without a mask or without a helmet. It's whether he is without a shirt! lol

Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #749
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
I think they mean it literally--without the mask/muzzle he wore at the end of The Avengers.

The real question is not whether he is without a mask or without a helmet. It's whether he is without a shirt! lol
*shhh* you'll get the boys in the thread upset with such fangirl talk

.....not that I wouldn't mind seeing him without a shirt *hops over to the Tom Hiddleston/Loki thread to look at pics that Elizah has posted*

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #750
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:

oh, okay... I got you on the mask. could still be the other, like I said, that would be punishment for him! I suppose they would have said he was blue or whatever if that was the case. LOL So probably not.

well, frost giants don't get cold so technically he doesn't need the shirt.

Closed Thread