Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #76
Travesty
TEOL

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Why wouldn't they be? We see them being given food and other essentials during Bane's monologue after breaking into Blackgate.
I'm sure they were supplied with tons of shaving cream and razors, along with their very own dry cleaners who will press their shirts for free.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #77
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I didn't get to watch the movie until yesterday....so I haven't read much discussion about the movie (I like at least some surprises when I see a movie....I don't have the insatiable need to know every iota about one before watching it for the first time)....so, if this has been mentioned too much, just ignore it....

Did any one have problems with how hale and healthy 3,000 policemen looked after being crammed into a sewer for 5 months?
Yup that was dumb. But not as dumb as Gordon sending every Cop he had down there in the first place.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #78
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Why wouldn't they be? We see them being given food and other essentials during Bane's monologue after breaking into Blackgate.
Even then living in a sewer for 5 months isn't exactly healthy.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #79
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
So...you are saying that with the limited resources available to the entire cut off part of the city....with Bane and his men hunting down cops and killing them....that with Bane and his men destroying all examples of authority....that they would send plenty of food, water, medicine and energy drinks to the cops trapped underground?

We are talking about 3,000 men trapped in a limited space with limited supplies, away from natural comforts, some wounded by being caught in the explosions, some not having access to the medical supplies they normally take on a daily basis, cut off from sunlight and fresh air, having the added stress of not knowing anything about what is happening to their families....coming roaring out of the hole in the ground looking like they had just spent a couple of weeks at one of the buffets in Las Vegas.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #80
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I'm sure they were supplied with tons of shaving cream and razors, along with their very own dry cleaners who will press their shirts for free.
Yah, if you want to get into details, let's talk about Gordon not being covered in **** after going down the sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Even then living in a sewer for 5 months isn't exactly healthy.
Quote:
So...you are saying that with the limited resources available to the entire cut off part of the city....with Bane and his men hunting down cops and killing them....that with Bane and his men destroying all examples of authority....that they would send plenty of food, water, medicine and energy drinks to the cops trapped underground?

We are talking about 3,000 men trapped in a limited space with limited supplies, away from natural comforts, some wounded by being caught in the explosions, some not having access to the medical supplies they normally take on a daily basis, cut off from sunlight and fresh air, having the added stress of not knowing anything about what is happening to their families....coming roaring out of the hole in the ground looking like they had just spent a couple of weeks at one of the buffets in Las Vegas.
We do see food supply making its way into Gotham which could as well have been shared with the trapped cops as we see food being given to the police as well. I can't really explain more than what we see in film.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #81
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yah, if you want to get into details, let's talk about Gordon not being covered in **** after going down the sewer
Gotham has the most pristine sewer system in the world.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #82
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
We do see food supply making its way into Gotham which could as well have been shared with the trapped cops as we see food being given to the police as well. I can't really explain more than what we see in film.
Yes...there is one scene that shows supplies coming into the city. There are a couple of scenes with Drake sneaking messages into the trapped cops. But nothing shows supplies going to them. Now....people will say - You have to assume that they are being fed. Really? How much? The Viet Cong fed the American prisoners of war they had....and they almost starved to death. Do you think that Bane was sending tons of food down to the men that he planned to kill anyway? He knew they were going to die (like everyone else in Gotham)...so why waste resources on them? He was hunting down and killing cops that hadn't been trapped below ground....so why would he waste time and resources to feed the armed men that would try to attack and stop him the first chance they got when he in his heart knew they would be dead in a few months from the nuke anyway?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #83
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I worked in a municipal water and serer service for 22 years....Gotham has one hell of a beautiful, clean, spacious, wonderous sewer system.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #84
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Apparently, so does New York shown in TAS-M as well.

Quote:
Yes...there is one scene that shows supplies coming into the city. There are a couple of scenes with Drake sneaking messages into the trapped cops. But nothing shows supplies going to them. Now....people will say - You have to assume that they are being fed. Really? How much? The Viet Cong fed the American prisoners of war they had....and they almost starved to death. Do you think that Bane was sending tons of food down to the men that he planned to kill anyway? He knew they were going to die (like everyone else in Gotham)...so why waste resources on them? He was hunting down and killing cops that hadn't been trapped below ground....so why would he waste time and resources to feed the armed men that would try to attack and stop him the first chance they got when he in his heart knew they would be dead in a few months from the nuke anyway?
All I'm saying is that food were given to them, but I couldn't tell how much. The food they were given could've been just a month's share and they are given a share each month, but that can be all assuming as well.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #85
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
It didn't matter though. Part of giving people hope and then killing them. Resources isn't an issue. As you said, everyone on Gotham would die, including themselves.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #86
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
I didn't get to watch the movie until yesterday....so I haven't read much discussion about the movie (I like at least some surprises when I see a movie....I don't have the insatiable need to know every iota about one before watching it for the first time)....so, if this has been mentioned too much, just ignore it....

Did any one have problems with how hale and healthy 3,000 policemen looked after being crammed into a sewer for 5 months?
It's a movie. There's really not other explanation than that. And in a movie series where a vigilante can dress up as a bat and NOT get himself killed within the first week, it's really not the most unrealistic thing.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #87
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Can you imagine Earle getting Bruce kicked out of the board meeting like Daggett did, and getting to say the memo line again.
Full circle on all accounts.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #88
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
It's a movie. There's really not other explanation than that. And in a movie series where a vigilante can dress up as a bat and NOT get himself killed within the first week, it's really not the most unrealistic thing.
As with all movies, there has to be a certain amount of suspension of belief. In comic book related movies that has to be a little bit more of it. But in a movie (even one comic related) that wants to be taken realistic and serious, there is only so far that I can suspend that belief. A man dressing up in costume to fight crime...I can handle. A group of terrorists attacking an American city....I can handle. The government letting it go on for 5 months and then 3,000 policemen (extremely healthy looking policemen) trapped underground with limited supplies for that 5 months mounting a spur of the moment last minute assault on the terrorists....I can't handle it. It makes for good spectacle....it makes a good scene in an action movie....but it just doesn't work for me.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #89
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

I believe it is because Chris Nolan used a more literal approach this time, the symbolism is all over the place.

- Peace is formed on a lie, it begins to crack from the foundations: Bane's army being underground.

- Law and order being overthrowed by Bane's army: Police men sent underground.

- Bruce back's being broken and healed in little time: Overcoming his pain.

And that's fine to me too.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #90
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
I believe it is because Chris Nolan used a more literal approach this time, the symbolism is all over the place.

- Peace is formed on a lie, it begins to crack from the foundations: Bane's army being underground.

- Law and order being overthrowed by Bane's army: Police men sent underground.

- Bruce back's being broken and healed in little time: Overcoming his pain.

And that's fine to me too.
Agreed. To me the strength of the symbolism easily outweighs the few logical fallacies these create within the film. They crossed my mind, but never actually bothered me.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #91
randyf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf View Post
[If addressed earlier, please kindly point me to the relevant Parts]

I've had this question in mind and awaited the BR release to see if there is an answer. I didn't see one so . . .

How is Bruce Wayne's death -- not Batman's -- supposed to be explained publicly? There is a public reading of his will, his estate is broken up, but how is Bruce -- again not Bats -- supposed to have perished?

The last time Bruce -- again not Bats -- is "seen" in the film is when he is "captured" in the tunnels. From there he dons the Batman persona and Bruce disappears from the remainder of the movie.

Unlike how the ruse of Bruce Wayne's "disfigurement" and recluse existence is created at the outset of the film, I'm coming to the conclusion that Bruce's absence from the last 30 minutes of the film (except for the Florence scene) to be a major plot hole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
"Sorry to spoil things boys, but Bane wants these guys to himself."

Doesn't that pretty much explain it all? Bane killed Bruce, and Lucius miraculously managed to escape. Lucius could probably even come up with a good sob story about Bruce sacrificing himself so Lucius could live. True, the henchmen that Catwoman takes out could have testified that she attacked them, but for all they knew, Catwoman just wanted to take all the credit. Point is, they certainly can't ask Bane what happened to Bruce Wayne because he be dead.
That works Anita18, but I still think the demise of such a major figure in the Gotham community is . . . well . . . too major to go without some reference. If only the inclusion of a "Wayne billionaire among found among victims" news crawl as part of the video montage while Gordon is reading last rights.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #92
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
As with all movies, there has to be a certain amount of suspension of belief. In comic book related movies that has to be a little bit more of it. But in a movie (even one comic related) that wants to be taken realistic and serious, there is only so far that I can suspend that belief. A man dressing up in costume to fight crime...I can handle. A group of terrorists attacking an American city....I can handle. The government letting it go on for 5 months and then 3,000 policemen (extremely healthy looking policemen) trapped underground with limited supplies for that 5 months mounting a spur of the moment last minute assault on the terrorists....I can't handle it. It makes for good spectacle....it makes a good scene in an action movie....but it just doesn't work for me.
Yup. They only dragged out that siege so Brucie could train himself back to health and come back and kick Bane's ass.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #93
Reek
Pork Sausage

Gothams sewers also come with heating fans... dead middle of winter to the point some areas of the bay are solid ice. lol

Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #94
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Everyone was also clean shaven after being trapped for months.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #95
Reek
Pork Sausage

well there was a barbershop down there.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #96
Fudgie
Banned User

Makes sense. None of 'em looked like they needed a haircut hahaha.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #97
Reek
Pork Sausage

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...k-knight-rises

Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #98
Travesty
TEOL

"growing a gross depression beard"

Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #99
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

"He uses ineffective gadgets." What exactly was Batman trying to accomplish, by throwing those dust pellets or whatever they were around Bane? It did literally nothing.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #100
Reek
Pork Sausage

and some people were saying Bane's 'device' makes him bullet proof