The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #876
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
In other news...

Washington and Maryland officially started issuing same-sex marriage licenses today.



any word on the supreme court and Prop 8 yet? we were suppose to know if they were taking the case by monday... and well.. it's almost friday

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #877
Edguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 477
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Jeez, the state of some social issues, like gay marriage, in America seems just absurd for me, coming from Norway.

Edguy is offline  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #878
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,027
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Another voice speaks out against Uganda's "kill the gays" bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop Desmond Tutu
My brothers and sisters, you stood with people who were oppressed because of their skin color. If you are going to be true to the Lord you worship, you are also going to be there for the people who are being oppressed for something they can do nothing about: their sexual orientation.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #879
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Another voice speaks out against Uganda's "kill the gays" bill...

Beautiful

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #880
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,027
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

UPDATE: MORMON CHURCH SOFTENING TONE TOWARD GAYS?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2252874.html

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #881
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

I retract that since its for minors. Only those old enough for informed consent should be permitted.


Last edited by Optimus_Prime_; 12-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Optimus_Prime_ is offline  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #882
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,150
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

I can see why it would be legally problematic.

Religious freedoms, parental rights, and what not.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #883
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,693
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

If the ban doesn't pass judicial muster, then California can just institute a law and a legal defence fund to permit adults who were ever sent to the re-education camps as minors the ability to sue the living **** out of their parents and/or the church that runs those ministries. Grandfather clause.

__________________
If you find the post directly above completely offensive and inappropriate ... and want to see more like it in 2015, click on the link below!

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...3&postcount=42
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #884
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,423
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

SCOTUS tackling DOMA and Prop 8

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #885
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

awesome. now lets hope it's all obliterated

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #886
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,423
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

More Catholics support gay marriage than not

And yet the Church still doesn't

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #887
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,693
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
More Catholics support gay marriage than not

And yet the Church still doesn't
Wow, that's a fairly whopping margin too. Yikes.

Most Catholics I know are fairly socially liberal, and even some Catholic clerics I know are socially liberal. The Catholic government (bishops on up to the Vatican) are sometimes regarded as like your crazy drunken uncles that you find embarassing but are still your family.

The young Catholics in my family who remain fervent in their faith have migrated to evangelical Christianity, as they felt their churches weren't giving them the answers they were looking for. Maybe that's what's happening: right-wing Catholics are increasingly going to fundamentalist churches, making the grassroots church more liberal.

__________________
If you find the post directly above completely offensive and inappropriate ... and want to see more like it in 2015, click on the link below!

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...3&postcount=42
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #888
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
More Catholics support gay marriage than not

And yet the Church still doesn't
Wait? You mean just like everything else Catholics believe?

Optimus_Prime_ is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #889
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,150
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
More Catholics support gay marriage than not

And yet the Church still doesn't
Get in line behind contraception, divorce, and premarital sex.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #890
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,423
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Get in line behind contraception, divorce, and premarital sex.
I think gay marriage will actually be ahead of those.


I mean, who needs less contraception than gays?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #891
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,132
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I have a hard time seeing the Roberts Court overturn a voter referendum on state contract law. I hope I'm wrong, but this current court trends toward state rights....

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #892
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I have a hard time seeing the Roberts Court overturn a voter referendum on state contract law. I hope I'm wrong, but this current court trends toward state rights....
Arizona?????? Obamacare?????

IMO, the only reason they would not overturn it is because Roberts has to save some face with conservatives. I hate it that the Supreme Court has become a court of, "I'm looking at my legacy, and my politics"....that he won't overturn it.....

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #893
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,132
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Arizona?????? Obamacare?????

IMO, the only reason they would not overturn it is because Roberts has to save some face with conservatives. I hate it that the Supreme Court has become a court of, "I'm looking at my legacy, and my politics"....that he won't overturn it.....
Those things bot have one very big thing in common that gay marriage does not....they are very pro-corporation. If there is one thing that the Roberts Court loves more than state rights, it is corporate rights. Obamacare is the most corporate friendly law of all time. Illegal aliens are good for the corporations. People may argue that gay marriage results in economic boom, but not at the level that corporations are going to actively lobby for it or anything.

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #894
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,150
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

What they'll probably do is say that gay marriage is up to the states. Essentially keep the status quo.

That's playing it safe. If they just make gay marriage legal across the country then... wow.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #895
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 19,818
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

I won't dare hope for the latter.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...




Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #896
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,150
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

That'd be the most dramatic thing the court has done since... well Citizens United.

Okay bad example. But yeah, that would be pretty huge.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #897
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 19,818
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

I highly doubt it will happen.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...




Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #898
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,150
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Stranger things have happened (Loving v Virginia).

For anyone not up on their supreme court cases, Loving v Virginia is the one that made interracial marriage legal for the whole country.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #899
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,132
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
What they'll probably do is say that gay marriage is up to the states. Essentially keep the status quo.

That's playing it safe. If they just make gay marriage legal across the country then... wow.
That's my guess. That being said, I think DOMA will be shot down. But I think that state marriage laws (both the legalization of gay marriage and anti-gay marriage bills like Prop 8) will be upheld.

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #900
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,967
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I have a hard time seeing the Roberts Court overturn a voter referendum on state contract law. I hope I'm wrong, but this current court trends toward state rights....
If the Supreme Court decides to rule in favor of gay marriage bans, I think it'll be because they don't want another abortion situation on their hands. Roe v. Wade embittered the populace (on both sides of the argument I might add) to the point where it is now an issue to this day. Before the Supreme Court entered in, the states were starting to slowly accept some degrees of abortion. If it weren't for Roe v. Wade, the abortion debate probably would have been settled years ago as opposed to what we have now where the debate is essentially dominated by feminazis and old men who endorse pregnancy rape as opposed sane and rational people.

I doubt that the Supreme Court would like to see such another situation yet again where the gay marriage debate gets embittered and it becomes a long lasting issue. Especially since the opposition to gay marriage is dying and one by one like dominoes, the states are doing the right thing and I think the issue will mostly be settled within a decade.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.