The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #751
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
*shhh* you'll get the boys in the thread upset with such fangirl talk
Well, it's just that we had a big discussion about that a while back. And it *is* part of the Simonson arc.

But I guess it *was* over in the Tom Hiddleston thread where we talked about it.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #752
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

“In the preview, a voice-over is heard with the oath of the God of Thunder as the new supreme ruler."

...I take that very much to mean that Odin is dead and Thor has inherited the throne of Asgard. Kinda suspected that already: Daddy (and maybe Mommy, too) leave Thor an orphan in this flick.

We see a clash between Thor and the enemy army, in a world that is neither Asgard let alone the Earth

Wish they had a better description of this world. And why they could tell immediately that it was neither Asgard nor Earth.

Against the backdrop of a forest, in the middle of a clearing, among the dust, we in fact face off anthropomorphic creatures, but also a big "gorilla" krosan tusker: a rather alien fauna varies so, although not extreme in size (there are also some envoys/ambassadors of a people mysterious, with oval face and black eyes, elongated and sunken)

I had to look it up. A "krosan tusker" is a warthog-like critter from the card game Magic: The Gathering. Obviously, that's not what the creature actually is in the movie; but I found it vaguely humorous that an Italian brought in a Magic reference.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #753
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
we in fact face off anthropomorphic creatures, but also a big "gorilla" krosan tusker
?? maybe referring to this guy?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #754
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel_freshman View Post
Finally! Descriptions of footage presented a convention in Italy, via Thor2Fans. Presented by Nigel Cook, Marvel Ent. Intl. Vice President. I gathered a few (roughly translated) descriptions Couple of little spoilers:

http://www.lavika.it/2012/12/prima-c...eb+Magazine%29

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...one-230683.php

http://www.bestmovie.it/news/thor-th...ndiale/191652/

http://www.primissima.it/cinema_news...econdo_disney/
Thanks for posting marvel_freshman. It's strange because I was on vacation in Positano Italy (which is near Sorrento Italy where this clip was evidentally shown) just about 2 months ago, so I guess my timing was just a little bit off. Of course not that I would have been able to have seen anything anyways, hey but one can dream. Lol

As for what was shown. I am not sure about the part with Natlie Portman dressed up like a princess. Hopefully, it has to do with a formality of her being present in the Asgardian court (like someone else had mentioned here), but I really hope they don't make her a real princess of Asgard.

Also, as for the part where they mention Loki's imprisonment and his increasing anger it makes me feel like he is not looking for redemption in this movie, but instead to stir things up (which kind of contradicts earlier reports that suggest he would be looking to right his wrongs). So, I guess we will see what happens there.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #755
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post

Also, as for the part where they mention Loki's imprisonment and his increasing anger it makes me feel like he is not looking for redemption in this movie, but instead to stir things up (which kind of contradicts earlier reports that suggest he would be looking to right his wrongs). So, I guess we will see what happens there.

Surfer
my suspicion is that they will play up the "look, he's gone full bag of cats!" element in the previews but that isn't necessarily what the end result will be... (that would be giving away too much in the previews if they showed anything else )... at least that's what I'm gonna keep telling myself.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #756
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thanks for posting marvel_freshman. It's strange because I was on vacation in Positano Italy (which is near Sorrento Italy where this clip was evidentally shown) just about 2 months ago, so I guess my timing was just a little bit off. Of course not that I would have been able to have seen anything anyways, hey but one can dream. Lol
There's always next time!

Quote:
As for what was shown. I am not sure about the part with Natlie Portman dressed up like a princess. Hopefully, it has to do with a formality of her being present in the Asgardian court (like someone else had mentioned here), but I really hope they don't make her a real princess of Asgard.
That was me

At some point a long while back I had read speculation about how it was Jane's turn in this film to be the fish out of water. It occurred to me that having to dress up in some princess getup and worry about whether she has to curtsey and what fork to use would certainly make Jane feel out of place and uncomfortable. So there's still potential fun to be had from that bit.

Quote:
It's possible he could do both. It will be very interesting to see what they decide to do!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #757
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
“In the preview, a voice-over is heard with the oath of the God of Thunder as the new supreme ruler."

...I take that very much to mean that Odin is dead and Thor has inherited the throne of Asgard. Kinda suspected that already: Daddy (and maybe Mommy, too) leave Thor an orphan in this flick.
Do you think Odin would die early or at the end of the film? End would make more sense to me, tied to the invasion of Surtur.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #758
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Regarding "Asgardian princess" garb, I am loathe to read anything into that at the moment. My guess would be that there is a dress code for appearing at court (no red Wellies in the throne room ). We already know that Hopkins and Portman were going to have (a) scene(s) together.
I'm now envisioning a scene where they are trying to find something on Asgard for her to wear but everything is about a foot too long. LOL

Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #759
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do you think Odin would die early or at the end of the film? End would make more sense to me, tied to the invasion of Surtur.
Remember Anthony said he has interaction with Chris Eccleston, Adwale has interaction with him and Renee, possibly with Natalie as well, and I would expect at least one scene with Tom, plus supposedly his trailer was seen at Bourne Woods, and I think it was mentioned being at Greenwich too (could be wrong about that one)... so it can't be that early in the film, if he does die. He also could have simply handed over the reigns to Thor just as he was going to in Thor 1. I think it would be giving away too much in the trailer to have this mean that Odin is dead (although I think this is an indicator that that speech may be early in the film, but doesn't necessarily mean that Odin is dead)

Quote:
(there are also some envoys/ambassadors of a people mysterious, with oval face and black eyes, elongated and sunken)
this could actually refer to the Dark Elves without the masks, Malekith had dots around his eyes, indicating there will probably be some CGI involved with the eyes, and as we've seen with Malekith, they are pale white... Or possibly the light Elves, but they'll have to make them look different enough from the Dark Elves.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #760
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Remember Anthony said he has interaction with Chris Eccleston, Adwale has interaction with him and Renee, possibly with Natalie as well, and I would expect at least one scene with Tom, plus supposedly his trailer was seen at Bourne Woods, and I think it was mentioned being at Greenwich too (could be wrong about that one)... so it can't be that early in the film, if he does die. He also could have simply handed over the reigns to Thor just as he was going to in Thor 1. I think it would be giving away too much in the trailer to have this mean that Odin is dead (and I think this is an indicator that that speech may be early in the film, but doesn't necessarily mean that Odin is dead)
Yeah, you could well be right. We had been talking earlier along the lines of, "what more does Thor have to do to show he is now ready to assume the throne?" And Odin knows he is weakening.

But what a tough way to start off one's reign, with all these troubles underway!

And it has a different implication for a showdown with Malekith on Earth.

So maybe a coronation, if there is one, is later in the film.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #761
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, you could well be right. We had been talking earlier along the lines of, "what more does Thor have to do to show he is now ready to assume the throne?" And Odin knows he is weakening.

But what a tough way to start off one's reign, with all these troubles underway!

And it has a different implication for a showdown with Malekith on Earth.

So maybe a coronation, if there is one, is later in the film.
I think if they are giving that speech away in the preview now, it likely is early on, and this may explain the lighted hammer he has at Greenwich in some scenes, as maybe an added power, could also explain added power of now being able to open his own portals (IF he has that power now, that is!). I just don't think it's an indicator that Odin is dead early on, since that would seem to be giving away too much in the preview.

However, while it goes along with the Lawden spoiler of why Thor is the one who has to make a "truce" and work with Loki, it does not go along with the idea that Loki is the only one who has access to the other side of Asgard, since it seems like a King Thor should be able to do that.

Quote:
The rest of the images show glimpses of the great palaces of Asgard
Palaces... plural. Hm... I wonder if that actually should be great palaces of the 9 realms, just a mistake by the observing thinking it was all on
Asgard.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #762
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think if they are giving that speech away in the preview now, it likely is early on, and this may explain the lighted hammer he has at Greenwich in some scenes, as maybe an added power, could also explain added power of now being able to open his own portals (IF he has that power now, that is!). I just don't think it's an indicator that Odin is dead early on, since that would seem to be giving away too much in the preview.
I suppose it is possible that they are just using the dialogue from the Thor1 coronation scene as a shorthand way of picking up the story from before.

Regarding the lighted hammer, does anyone know if Mjolnir has been depicted that way in the books? If so, what was the context? (ie, story line, only when Thor had X power that he later lost, etc)

Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #763
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Remember Anthony said he has interaction with Chris Eccleston, Adwale has interaction with him and Renee, possibly with Natalie as well, and I would expect at least one scene with Tom, plus supposedly his trailer was seen at Bourne Woods, and I think it was mentioned being at Greenwich too (could be wrong about that one)... so it can't be that early in the film, if he does die. He also could have simply handed over the reigns to Thor just as he was going to in Thor 1. I think it would be giving away too much in the trailer to have this mean that Odin is dead (although I think this is an indicator that that speech may be early in the film, but doesn't necessarily mean that Odin is dead)
This is true.
Thor assuming the throne doesn't have to mean Odin's dead; just that there's been a peaceful transfer of power to the heir. Like the original plan in Thor 1.

At any rate, it's safe to say Thor is now the rightful King of Asgard. I still hope he has to make a decision between Asgard and Midgard, though --- all this high fantasy is nice and all, but if he intends to keep his Avengers Membership Card (tm) in good standing, he's going to have to go back to Superhero Thor instead of Norse God Thor.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #764
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is true.
Thor assuming the throne doesn't have to mean Odin's dead; just that there's been a peaceful transfer of power to the heir. Like the original plan in Thor 1.

At any rate, it's safe to say Thor is now the rightful King of Asgard. I still hope he has to make a decision between Asgard and Midgard, though --- all this high fantasy is nice and all, but if he intends to keep his Avengers Membership Card (tm) in good standing, he's going to have to go back to Superhero Thor instead of Norse God Thor.
Because...apparently it's impossible for both to exist in the same film.

Really now I'm more concerned about him being too powerful when he goes to fight beside the Avengers and future Thor films. the problem being that nothing will convincingly challenge him from now on.

I think he will have to at some point choose between Midgard and Asgard. Again the theme of "Moral Sacrifice" will certainly be involved and it seems like him having to decide between the defense and needs of Midgard and the defense and needs of Asgard is an issue that his character really needs to deal with at some point, especially if he is King of Asgard. It's like having an American president constantly going over to be sure France is okay.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #765
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Man Elizah, when does your shift end? LOL jk

Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #766
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

I'm guessing Jane will get bored pretty quickly with swanning around in an Asgardian toga. I could see her choosing her career back on earth over a wifey role by Thor's side.

Hope to hear something about Sif's story in the movie.

As for Loki - I like him but I don't want the plot to revolve around him seeking revenge etc. I also really really don't want to see Thor sucked in by Loki's manipulations yet again. Thor at least needs to be shown to have a certain amount of savvy when it comes to being alert to Loki's games. CH said a while ago that he wanted Thor to wise up a bit and not just be a whopping chunk of brainless beefcake.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #767
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is true.

Quote:

Really now I'm more concerned about him being too powerful when he goes to fight beside the Avengers and future Thor films. the problem being that nothing will convincingly challenge him from now on.

I think he will have to at some point choose between Midgard and Asgard. Again the theme of "Moral Sacrifice" will certainly be involved and it seems like him having to decide between the defense and needs of Midgard and the defense and needs of Asgard is an issue that his character really needs to deal with at some point, especially if he is King of Asgard. It's like having an American president constantly going over to be sure France is okay.
My understanding is that in the Simonson run, the Asgardians convene an Althing to choose a new king. They choose Thor, but he declines and names Balder instead. My recollection is that Thor basically says he's not yet ready to give up being a hero (though I can't find a reference on it at the moment).

So actually he could well choose between being king and being a superhero. And it wouldn't be a huge departure from the source material. For the logistical reasons you both mention (Avengers 2, 3, etc. . .), it seems very logical that he would decline the throne.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #768
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
I'm guessing Jane will get bored pretty quickly with swanning around in an Asgardian toga. I could see her choosing her career back on earth over a wifey role by Thor's side.
Re: swanning around--ha! Yeah, I've long felt that the most likely way for Jane to stop being Thor's love interest is if Jane decides it's not going to work for one reason or another.

Now, (as I mentioned in some other thread or another, forget which one) it seems like being in Asgard could give her the opportunity to continue to work in her field, assuming she could still communicate with Earth on a regular basis. Depending on Asgard's physical location, she might be able to conduct measurements that no one on Earth has been able to so far. One could get a lot of papers out of that But that's not really the material of adventure movies, either

Quote:
As for Loki - I like him but I don't want the plot to revolve around him seeking revenge etc. I also really really don't want to see Thor sucked in by Loki's manipulations yet again. Thor at least needs to be shown to have a certain amount of savvy when it comes to being alert to Loki's games. CH said a while ago that he wanted Thor to wise up a bit and not just be a whopping chunk of brainless beefcake.
Yeah, one kind of hopes a king is wise to such shenanigans.

That said, "people being sucked in by Loki's manipulations yet again" summarizes not only much of the Thor comics, but much of the Norse myth as well. So it's hard to get away from that and still be honoring what is canon

Quote:
Yeah, really! Sif and the Warriors Three were all supposed to have expanded roles (Heimdall too!), and yet we hear almost nothing about what will happen with them. What's with that?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #769
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yes. Yes. and Yes but I don't think Chris said that exactly. Did he? LOL did you mean this quote?

Quote:
“It’s what I loved about the comics. It was never clean and cut and that’s it. It was always like, Thor would forgive him, they’d be friends, and Loki would betray him again. ‘You idiot, Thor! Again?’ But it was different than your normal good guy, bad guy scenario. They’re brothers, you know? Anyone with siblings understands that. ‘That’s it, I’m never talking to you again… want to play football?’”

“He’s got to apologize, doesn’t he? Baked goods. Muffins or something. That would be a bribe we could start with. Beyond that, I don’t know.”
Well now we know how to apologize to Chris Hemsworth should we ever need to.

Quote:
American Maid: That said, "people being sucked in by Loki's manipulations yet again" summarizes not only much of the Thor comics, but much of the Norse myth as well. So it's hard to get away from that and still be honoring what is canon
True.

Quote:
Yeah, really! Sif and the Warriors Three were all supposed to have expanded roles (Heimdall too!), and yet we hear almost nothing about what will happen with them. What's with that?
I hope they do. Sif and Fandral especially.

This is where the translations are tricky I guess...
Quote:
We see Chris Hemsworth wielding his hammer and Tom Hiddleston as Loki first wounded without a helmet, with long, loose hair and then imprisoned;

another says...
Loki first wounded, imprisoned, undone, very far from the royalty that has so far stood out ...
the top makes it sounds like the promo may be cut to make it look like Thor wounds Loki but I don't think that necessarily true. They've shown them fighting twice, I don't know how many more times they can have Thor kick Loki's butt in the films before it gets too repetitive. (and you'd think Loki would smarten up and not challenge him physically). But it sounds like Loki gets wounded during the course of the film somehow though as he certainly should have recovered completely from the Hulks attacks (especially if his hair has gotten longer), he was pretty much recovered other than some scratches a the end of Avengers. Unless it refers to being emotionally wounded maybe. Which is more what the second translation sounds like.

and another different translation..

Quote:
In between, there are images of an epic battle on horseback, who seems to have left an epic cloak-and-dagger.

or...

In between, we witness the filming of an epic battle, also on horseback, which seems to come from a swashbuckling epic.
Hm.. I'd have loved the cloak and dagger but I think swashbuckling sounds more the thing.. and certainly Fandral should be involved in some of that! lol

Random thought, I wonder if Jane knows how to ride a horse?

Last edited by elizah72; 12-06-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #770
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Random thought, I wonder if Jane knows how to ride a horse?
Ha! Probably not. She's not all that good at driving a car--lol!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #771
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
IF Odin is to die. That's what I would think. Not too sure though, Odin was going to hand the throne to thor.

Quote:

this could actually refer to the Dark Elves without the masks, Malekith had dots around his eyes, indicating there will probably be some CGI involved with the eyes, and as we've seen with Malekith, they are pale white... Or possibly the light Elves, but they'll have to make them look different enough from the Dark Elves.
Yeah. Odin may die, he may not. IF Odin is dead, I think it will be at the end, due to surtur, resulting in thor's crowning, here's why.

That theme of moral sacrifice. Thor leaving asgard for earth? That theme most likely has to be felt through out the movie. if Odin dies, this means Thor inherits the throne at the end. I don't think Thor will abandon Asgard after his father got killed, at the end of the movie. Asgard is possibly damaged, Odin is dead, its his world now. He wouldn't leave it.

Which leaves me with two ideas, one, the moral sacrifice happens earlier in the film, he abandons asgard earlier on, and there are mild reprocussions for it. Movie goes on, ultimately odin dies, thor is king, and now will stay in asgard till avengers 2.

OR this is a bit twisty, but hear me out. What if Thor's moral sacrifice is abandoning midgard, not asgard? We KNOW he loves earth. What if, while he is on earth, he makes a vow not to leave, and to protect earth. However, Odin dies, and Thor KNOWS he needs to return to Asgard where he is needed. Leaving behind a world he swore to protect? That could be one way to impliment moral sacrifice.

If Thor becomes king in this movie, it seems more cinematic for it to happen at the end. Who knows, maybe the surtur arc will be completed in this movie

Quote:
This is true.

Not gunna lie. I prefer the norse god Thor. Meaning thor dealing with asgardian things

Quote:

I have no problem with thor being more powerful (that's assuming he even inherits the odinforce) we don't even know if it has that quality to it

Quote:
Ha! Probably not. She's not all that good at driving a car--lol!
not her, all women can't drive :P

I KID I KID, had to pull that joke out :S

Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #772
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Have the images from the presentation been posted here? The first is an official photo from Professional Cinema Days. I love the intensity Thor/Chris projects. (Courtesy of Tumblr, naturally.)

Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #773
JP
Smelly

Well, that's not actually Chris.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #774
Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Have the images from the presentation been posted here? The first is an official photo from Professional Cinema Days. I love the intensity Thor/Chris projects. (Courtesy of Tumblr, naturally.)

No not yet xeno000, so thanks for posting the two pics.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #775
Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Well, that's not actually Chris.

Well it's not a photo of Chris, but it is artwork of Chris as Thor.

Surfer

Closed Thread