The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #126
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
It makes no sense to me to spend more time (or even equal time) in the future when the whole plot of the movie is to change that future through the actions in the past. The past is where the whole crux of the plot actually is and where actions matter the most - not the future which is just basically waiting to be overwritten and the actions there ultimately have no bearing on the outcome.

I know that DoFP is a popular story and all, but when I've read the summary of the comic my impression was that, after the time travel happens, the future scenes are largely pointless and are basically there to serve up some cool fights with the Sentinels. If the movie is giving future!mutants a whole separate storyline it has to be for better reasons than nostalgia and action scenes. What would be the point of showing them fight for survival when their survival and in fact the fate of their entire timeline does not actually depend on their actions?

And another issue which I've mentioned in another thread is how to end that part of the story. Does the timeline stop existing or does that future remain unchanged because of an alternative timeline? Either way is not entirely satisfying as a wrap-up for future!mutants IMO.
Marry me. Once again, an awesome post.

I think someone on a different thread (possibly you?) proposed the notion that the butterfly effect of the past would mean that everything in the future would change with everything they did in the past. If they went that route they'd have to be very careful with how they did it. They could do it Looper-style where things keep shifting, but the idea of the original story was that the future doesn't change; it just creates a new one. You're right, not an ideal sendoff for the old team but maybe "potential flashforwards" would wrap things up nicely? Maybe something post-credits?

Hawkingbird, best, most appropriate reply to a post I've ever seen on this board. Major kudos.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #127
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
It makes no sense to me to spend more time (or even equal time) in the future when the whole plot of the movie is to change that future through the actions in the past. The past is where the whole crux of the plot actually is and where actions matter the most - not the future which is just basically waiting to be overwritten and the actions there ultimately have no bearing on the outcome.
totally agree.

Thats why at least 60% of the screentime should be for the FC cast.

I dont understand why some fans can see that 40 minutes for original cast is plenty of time to show them all in full potential.

Just go back to any of the original movies, and see all the scenes that enter on those 40 minutes.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #128
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
totally agree.

Thats why at least 60% of the screentime should be for the FC cast.

I dont understand why some fans can see that 40 minutes for original cast is plenty of time to show them all in full potential.

Just go back to any of the original movies, and see all the scenes that enter on those 40 minutes.
I think people's enthusiasm for the original cast is obvious. And there isn't as much enthusiasm for the actors who played Havok, Banshee, Emma, etc.

So DoFP has to do a very good balancing act, because as much as people want all their old favourites back, Singer can't just sweep aside Emma, Banshee and Havok (and possibly Moira), with no explanation.

I want to see Havok, Banshee, Emma (and maybe Moira) again, as well as seeing the old favourites.

It will be interesting to see how Singer/Kinberg/Donner handle this. Obviously, some characters are going to have to be dropped from the First Class series and the Original Trilogy. They can't squeeze them all in. And what about new characters? At some point it would be nice to see Sinister, Apocalypse, Polaris, Psylocke, Sunfire, etc. They need to map out the next few films to decide how and when characters will appear.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #129
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well you could also put it like, go back to the original movies and imagine that the whole movie and its story line is condensed to 40 minutes. Or that you watch 40 minutes of the movie and then just stop. I imagine that neither would be very satisfying.

If you have two story lines in two different time periods with two different casts that do not intersect, you in some way have two different movies in there. There's a danger that neither of them gets enough development.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #130
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

I know that DoFP is a popular story and all, but when I've read the summary of the comic my impression was that, after the time travel happens, the future scenes are largely pointless and are basically there to serve up some cool fights with the Sentinels. If the movie is giving future!mutants a whole separate storyline it has to be for better reasons than nostalgia and action scenes. What would be the point of showing them fight for survival when their survival and in fact the fate of their entire timeline does not actually depend on their actions?
The amount of time spent in the future depends on when the time travel takes place. Once the time travel happens, there isn't much more to see in the future apart from more fighting against Sentinels. We could see more deaths, to make the time travel seem even more necessary and urgent.

If the movie built up towards the time travel happening half an hour into the film, then you could cut back and forth as the futuremutants fought Sentinels, devised the time travel plan and tried to get to the time machine. During that time, we would also cut to scenes of the 1960s - perhaps with Magneto devising his scheme for the assassination that, unknown to him, brings about the terrible future (if that is the plotline they are using).

Quote:
And another issue which I've mentioned in another thread is how to end that part of the story. Does the timeline stop existing or does that future remain unchanged because of an alternative timeline? Either way is not entirely satisfying as a wrap-up for future!mutants IMO.
It's a tricky one. Maybe the filmmakers will consult a physicist who is an expert on time travel theories!

I think the future (whether alternate or beyond X1-X3) would have to be overwritten to show the changes, though I'm not sure at what point in time you cut back to the newly changed future to show the effects (after X2, after X3?). If they want to have Cyclops and Jean alive again, it has to be between X1 and X2. If they want to have Nightcrawler involved, it has to be after X2 but before X3. Cut to a re-enactment of Xavier looking out the window at the end of X2 and have him say 'I just had the oddest feeling, like a memory I never had'. Then Jean rises again from the lake in the next film, but this time without going Dark Phoenix and instead getting help from Xavier and Scott and being part of the team as Phoenix.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 12-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #131
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
I wish they would just dump the First Class actors all together and make it an original cast movie heh

I wish the original actors were the protagonists.I definitely prefer the original cast and characters.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #132
Angamb
Banned User

what about two series at the same time since now?

to alternate First Class sequels with X-men 1-3 sequels.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #133
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I think 30 minutes of film will be In future and 1 hour and 30 minutes the past.If the time
traveler goes to past through physical time travel one character could be In more of the
film.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #134
Halcohol
Suit up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I think 30 minutes of film will be In future and 1 hour and 30 minutes the past.If the time
traveler goes to past through physical time travel one character could be In more of the
film.
This seems like a reasonable split. Let's face it, we're only going to see the alternate future so we can be shown how horrible it is. They won't want to linger on it.

Unless Halle Berry comes back and demands an excessive amount of screentime...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #135
Halcohol
Suit up

Hollywood Reporter is getting in on the old school cast speculation.

Quote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...en-hugh-397995

Fox is building its own Marvel-style superhero universe with X-Men, marrying the actors from the first trilogy of movies to the stars of 2011's reboot in the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past.

But assembling such an expansive cast could prove a heroic dealmaking task. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen already are set to reprise their roles of Professor X and Magneto, respectively, while Hugh Jackman is in negotiations to return as Wolverine in the new movie, set for release July 18, 2014. (Jackman also will star in a second stand-alone Wolverine movie next summer.) But Halle Berry, James Marsden and other original X-Men are not yet confirmed to come back for a story that will straddle the 1960s setting established in 2011's X-Men: First Class and the future of the original trilogy, where mutants are a hunted minority.

First Class stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult are locked into the sequel, which is eyeing an April production start, possibly in Canada. Those actors had sequel options in their original deals (a fact that became a headache for Lawrence, who had to negotiate scheduling of The Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire).

By contrast, new deals must be struck with the original trilogy stars, though insiders say negotiations haven't been overly complex. For one, Jackman and the others will appear mostly in scenes depicting an alternate dystopic future, so pay and time commitments are not substantial. Second, there is a great deal of goodwill on the part of the actors to return, thanks mostly to the involvement of Bryan Singer, who directed the first two installments of the original trilogy and was a producer on First Class. Singer stepped in to direct Days of Future Past when First Class helmer Matthew Vaughn backed away for mysterious reasons.

Vaughn and Simon Kinberg developed the script based on the classic 1981 comic book Uncanny X-Men. Fox and the producers were working on attracting actors to return when Singer took the helm, giving that effort a major boost. In casting the 2000 original, Singer gave Jackman his breakout role and provided major career boosts for Stewart and McKellen.

Says a source close to the dealmaking, "There is a lot of willingness to participate because of Bryan."
Big huge grains of salt!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #136
JP
Smelly

Yeah, that's been posted (and severely misconstrued!) already.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #137
Halcohol
Suit up

CL

Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #138
Cherry
Side-Kick

Cl?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #139
Halcohol
Suit up

Cyclops LIVESSS!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #140
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:

I think it depends on the direction Bryan goes with the movie but in the comics the time travel move is a final desperate attempt at saving the future but they future X-Men do actively try to fight not just to defend themselves but to try and stop the sentinels. they go to the Baxter Building which IIRC was the base of operations for the sentinels. They go there in an attempt to destroy the sentinels so they really and truly are depending on themselves rather than on Kitty and her mission in the past.

Remember the whole point of the story is thatthey don't know if the time travel would change anything in the first place. And if Bryan's smart he should leave audience's guessing throughout the movie on whether the future would succeed in getting changed.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #141
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I think it depends on the direction Bryan goes with the movie but in the comics the time travel move is a final desperate attempt at saving the future but they future X-Men do actively try to fight not just to defend themselves but to try and stop the sentinels. they go to the Baxter Building which IIRC was the base of operations for the sentinels. They go there in an attempt to destroy the sentinels so they really and truly are depending on themselves rather than on Kitty and her mission in the past.

Remember the whole point of the story is thatthey don't know if the time travel would change anything in the first place. And if Bryan's smart he should leave audience's guessing throughout the movie on whether the future would succeed in getting changed.
Well, the point of view of the future!mutants, who cannot see what is actually happening in the past, is certainly that they're depending on themselves. But looking at the bigger picture like the audience would, everything really depends on the actions in the past.

I found that whole Baxter Building mission pointless, not only because (if I remember right) it actually doesn't get anything done and Sentinels still keep going, but because it makes no sense for that mission to succeed from the storytelling point of view in the first place. If Sentinels get destroyed in the future, then what is the purpose of the whole time travel exercise? If time travel succeeds and that whole timeline is changed, what would be the point of destroying Sentinels? I get that the mission is important to the future!mutants, but I'm talking about the overall story and how these separate attempts to save the future mesh together.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #142
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I think 30 minutes of film will be In future and 1 hour and 30 minutes the past.
Yeah, about a quarter of the film in the future and the rest in the past sounds right.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #143
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

I wonder if Famke will be touching on X-men at all during the promotional rounds for Hansel & Gretel, her film being released in January. She did this video/photoshoot for the NY Post this week talking about her upcoming projects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RVXRNWYgQ

She doesn't even hint at X-men But damn, she looks really hot acting all sensual like that at the beginning. I say they make her look exactly like that if she comes back for DOFP.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #144
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Oh my God,she is amazing!!She must be in X-Men DOFP.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #145
Silvermoth
Avenger

I daresay she will! None of the actors from the original movies have been able to escape their roles really. Every time they do a bit of promotion they're always asked "WHEN IZ NEXT X-MEN FILM FORMED????!??"

Nah, I'm just kidding. I love how enthusiastic we X-men fans are!

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #146
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think people's enthusiasm for the original cast is obvious. And there isn't as much enthusiasm for the actors who played Havok, Banshee, Emma, etc.

So DoFP has to do a very good balancing act, because as much as people want all their old favourites back, Singer can't just sweep aside Emma, Banshee and Havok (and possibly Moira), with no explanation.

I want to see Havok, Banshee, Emma (and maybe Moira) again, as well as seeing the old favourites.

It will be interesting to see how Singer/Kinberg/Donner handle this. Obviously, some characters are going to have to be dropped from the First Class series and the Original Trilogy. They can't squeeze them all in. And what about new characters? At some point it would be nice to see Sinister, Apocalypse, Polaris, Psylocke, Sunfire, etc. They need to map out the next few films to decide how and when characters will appear.
Yeah I agree with everything you said. And with the new characters you mentioned, Apocalypse/Psylocke would be perfect for X-Men 4 and Polaris/Sunfire would be perfect for First Class 2.

I think people are more excited about the original cast coming back than the cast of First Class because we haven't seen the original cast *together* in a X-Men movie since 2006. And people always want FOX to do X-Men 4, no one was really asking for a Wolverine spin-off or a spin-off about Professor X and Magneto after X3 and it shows when you look at how those spin-off movies performed at the box-office.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 12-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #147
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

As much as I liked her, I though she was a bit bland. Then again, I thought allot of characters in the first 3 X films were bland

Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #148
cheungcheung
Side-Kick

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/04/pa...sure-of-a-man/

Before I let you go, I also wanted to ask very quickly about Bryan Singerís announcement that you and Sir Ian McKellen will be reprising your roles as Professor X and Magneto in the next X-Men movie, Days of Futures Past. How did that all happen?
[Pause] I have no idea what youíre talking about.
Oh really?
Yeah.

Huh. Because Bryan Singer said on TwitterÖ
I know, I know. Iím taking the piss out of you. Bryan let the cat out of the bag on Twitter, and it included announcing that Sir Ian and myself were going to be in this movie. We are, you know, under contractual oath with 20th Century Fox to say nothing about any prospective X-Men movie including the old team. I use ďoldĒ advisedly.
So itís a kind of awkward position, because lovely Bryan Singer just blurted it all out there. For me the big thrill is knowing that Bryan Singer is attached to this movie, because not only is he a brilliant director, but also I adore him and hope that it might be true and that we do work together at some point in the future. But Iím not being coy. I know nothing about this project. And Iím hoping that might change in the future.

Other than the fact that youíre doing it?
I donít know that weíre doing it. I have not signed a contract yet. I know there is a project in development, but we have no dates. No detailed casting. Thrilled to hear that my dear friend and colleague Ian McKellen is on board, but Iím sorry, you know, you need to understand, Iím not being cute. I know nothing.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #149
Angamb
Banned User

Production designer and costume designer added on first post.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #150
Angamb
Banned User

First post updated.

Quote:
as we can see here, Bryan seems to tweet about casting announcements once a month, so if he keeps this trend, we should expect a new name/names around mid January

but who knows? hopefully he surprises us sooner

Closed Thread