The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,092
Default Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Who is your favorite drummer? As you may or may not have figured by my sig, mine is sir John Henry Bonham. May not have been THE most technically proficiant drummer, but his foot speed, and his sound and style make him unique. Not to mention I have yet to hear a drummer who could swing and groove as hard as he could.

RIP

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,978
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Nobody beats the legendary Mr Phil Collins,in my book!

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Baramos
Side-Kick
 
Baramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 818
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Bill Bruford is my favorite.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Nobody beats the legendary Mr Phil Collins,in my book!
Everybody talks about "The Air Tonight" of course, but I loved his sound on the third Peter Gabriel album.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Last edited by Baramos; 11-25-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!
 
Spider-Who?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Giggling in your air duct.
Posts: 9,740
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Who is your favorite drummer? As you may or may not have figured by my sig, mine is sir John Henry Bonham. May not have been THE most technically proficiant drummer, but his foot speed, and his sound and style make him unique. Not to mention I have yet to hear a drummer who could swing and groove as hard as he could.

RIP

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Bonham was great. Let no man say otherwise. His son is very good, too.

I'm partial to Chad Smith. He and Flea are one of the best rhythm sections in mainstream music of the last 20 years.

__________________
My SHH Fan Art thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...9#post24993839
Check out my deviant art page for some fan art and misc fantasy art: http://fuzzydrawings.deviantart.com/
Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,687
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Neil Peart, no contest.

__________________
If SHH was a toy store, and posters were action figures, someone like Sawyer or a Pink Ranger would be like 1 per case. (posted by Erzengel on 11.20.14)

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Keith Moon makes 'em all look like amateurs.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,687
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Keith Moon makes 'em all look like amateurs.
Correction, THIS guy makes them all look like amateurs.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
If SHH was a toy store, and posters were action figures, someone like Sawyer or a Pink Ranger would be like 1 per case. (posted by Erzengel on 11.20.14)

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover
 
Motown Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 20,724
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

If we're talking rock and roll drummers, my number one is Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Dude was unreal. He would be followed by Ringo Starr who pretty much wrote the book on rock drumming, plus his drum fills and timing are insane. then of course Keith Moon and John Bonham.

But old school drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich can pretty much put everyone to shame.

__________________
Dear Prudence, won't you come out and play?
Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,092
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Neil Peart, no contest.
Not to disagree, but I find peart a bit overreated. Everything he did worked, everything was perfect, he was a technical genius. But for me, that got boring, every fill exactly how it should be, everything perfect, in my eyes, technicality is not the only thing that makes a drummer great

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Keith Moon makes 'em all look like amateurs.
Keith is who inspired me to play the drums lol. He made it looks so easy and fun. Lacking technical skill, sure, but his chops were nuts and he had such an agressive style, no one like him before, no one since. Like Led Zeppelin, The Who shoulda called it quits after moonie died

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
If we're talking rock and roll drummers, my number one is Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Dude was unreal. He would be followed by Ringo Starr who pretty much wrote the book on rock drumming, plus his drum fills and timing are insane. then of course Keith Moon and John Bonham.

But old school drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich can pretty much put everyone to shame.
Agreed. I like Mitch Mitchell. He's very underrated, and he's one of the best technically skilled. Though, I would say Bonham wrote the book on rock drumming, most drumming today came from him.

Mitch was always one of my favorite. Rock drumming and jazz drumming are totally different, but Buddy is the king of drums

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!
 
TheAQU4M4N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,791
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

The rev
Travis Barker
Chad Smith
Tre' Cool
Also Jack Irons!

__________________
"Destiny is like a riptide. You never know it's pulling you until its too late."
TheAQU4M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover
 
Motown Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 20,724
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

I disagree with Bonham having written the rock book of drumming. And it's merely due to the fact that he wasn't in the position to do so. Ringo set the standard long before anyone knew bonhams name. That's not to disregard bonhams talent or his influence, because he's undeniably great. But Ringo was in the position to do it, and he did a remarkable job.

__________________
Dear Prudence, won't you come out and play?
Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,092
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
I disagree with Bonham having written the rock book of drumming. And it's merely due to the fact that he wasn't in the position to do so. Ringo set the standard long before anyone knew bonhams name. That's not to disregard bonhams talent or his influence, because he's undeniably great. But Ringo was in the position to do it, and he did a remarkable job.
I suppose, but I mean, Ringo really didn't influence Bonzo. Most of modern rock drumming came from Bonzo, any drummer will site him as an influence.

Playing hard, using the bass drum more for just the back beat...that extra snare note, ghost notes, he popularized those.

either way, Ringo doesn't suck like people say he do, cause he is great. For me Keith Moon, Bonham, Ringo, Mitch Mitchell, Terry Bozio, best ever in my opinion

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
TheWatcher
Dapper
 
TheWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,768
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Jimmy Chamberlin. He is a drum God.

__________________
"I have this theory that, depending on your attitude, your life doesn't have to become this ridiculous charade that it seems so many people end up living."

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover
 
Motown Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 20,724
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I suppose, but I mean, Ringo really didn't influence Bonzo. Most of modern rock drumming came from Bonzo, any drummer will site him as an influence.

Playing hard, using the bass drum more for just the back beat...that extra snare note, ghost notes, he popularized those.

either way, Ringo doesn't suck like people say he do, cause he is great. For me Keith Moon, Bonham, Ringo, Mitch Mitchell, Terry Bozio, best ever in my opinion
i think the influence of ringo's drumming is so universal and widespread that its unrecognized. i would say bonham was a landmark drummer that was integral to the evolution of rock drumming. but it still all goes back to ringo. this isnt to say that one drummer was better than the other. i like ringo better, but i get why others prefer bonham. the dude was a monster and he really expanded the boundaries of rock drumming.

the most true sign of a great drummer is being able to play whats right for the music. bonham's drumming wouldnt work for the beatles. and ringo's drumming wouldnt work zeppelin. they were perfect for their own respective bands. just like how someone like meg white was perfect for the white stripes, despite her amateurish technique. put a better drummer in place of her and the music wouldnt work.

__________________
Dear Prudence, won't you come out and play?
Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,092
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
i think the influence of ringo's drumming is so universal and widespread that its unrecognized. i would say bonham was a landmark drummer that was integral to the evolution of rock drumming. but it still all goes back to ringo. this isnt to say that one drummer was better than the other. i like ringo better, but i get why others prefer bonham. the dude was a monster and he really expanded the boundaries of rock drumming.

the most true sign of a great drummer is being able to play whats right for the music. bonham's drumming wouldnt work for the beatles. and ringo's drumming wouldnt work zeppelin. they were perfect for their own respective bands. just like how someone like meg white was perfect for the white stripes, despite her amateurish technique. put a better drummer in place of her and the music wouldnt work.
True. Though bonzo was a skilled DRUMMER, he could play other music, not as good for certain bands, he could play the drums. He did expand the boundaries of rock drumming. But I think moonie should get just as much credit. He joined the who in 1964, they were around shortly after the beatles, he is the drummer who sort of pulled drummers out of the shadows.

and if we want to talk about "drummers perfect for their band" I think we both have to agree that no drummer fits that catagory better than moon. Keith Moon was an animal. No one would fit the who. Some people Say Zack Starkey (ringo's son) does a fine job playing with the who in keith's role, and it's completely doable. But people who say that CLEARLY have never seen Keith play with the rest of the band. The Who were amazing live and a lot of their music, and live jams got so aggressive, they went to uncharted territory. Most aggressive rock band ever in my opinion

Keith and Bonzo are on their own tier in my opinion, but that's just my opinion

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
TheWatcher
Dapper
 
TheWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,768
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE8iPynWIKk

__________________
"I have this theory that, depending on your attitude, your life doesn't have to become this ridiculous charade that it seems so many people end up living."

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #17
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,962
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Dave Grohl
Will Champion

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
crounsa810
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 109
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

The fact that Carter Beauford has not been mentioned yet is a tragedy

crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Vinyljunkie
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

In no particular order,
Dave grohl
Travis barker
Benny 'papa zita' Benjamin
And the late great king, Buddy Rich


Vinyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite
 
Batman jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Y'all are gonna kill me for this, as troo methulfans can't accept me, but still:

Mike Terrana
Lars Ulrich
Mikkey Dee
Bill Ward
John Bonham
Igor Cavalera
Phil Rudd
Neil Peart

Batman jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 13,125
Default Re: Your Favorite Drummer/s?

Josh Freese. 'Nuff said.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.