Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #601
Airwings
Waves of air

Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Don't really think it needs an environmental approach really. To us, land dwellers, it would be seen as such. But in the film/s it should be more protecting your literal home. Like someone threatening to drop nukes on the US, that's not environmentalism fighting back- that's fighting for one's home. Unsure where the sequel will go, they might go more environmental but personally think it - to AC- wouldn't be viewed that way.
But shouldn't it be touched upon that we pollute the sea, and birds as well as wather animals die. You remember the oil spill?
It would be strange if the atlanteans didn't mentioned our destructive way of living once during the film.

Last edited by Airwings; 09-25-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #602
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
But shouldn't it be touched upon that we pollute the sea, and brds as well as wather animals die. You remember the oil spill?
It would be strange if the atlanteans didn't mentioned our destructive way of living once during the film.
To me that shouldn't be viewed as environmentalism. The critics may say it is. But it just wouldn't make that much sense from a film perspective. Or at least to me. Yes, pollution and all of that should be in it - but with the same view and notion of terrorist attacks on the United States.

Basically when responding to 9/11 it wasn't seen as environmentalism (maybe to aliens it would be), it was seen as protecting our home turf. Aquaman responding to the attacks on his home he wouldn't really view as environmentalism, he'd view as similarly protecting his home just like 9/11.

This is taken from a real world approach basically. Looking into it as an outsider, yeah it seems like environmentalism. HOWEVER, if you are to be placed inside his world and experience the things he experiences - it wouldn't really be seen as environmentalism. Kinda underhanded in that sense, less preaching and more just showing. Seeing a dolphin get killed by poachers that we've come to see as an important character rather than having an environmentalist talk about why dolphins getting killed is bad. With oil spills, similarly, see compatriots dying from it who we've come to root for. That's actually a very strong part of it.

Basically it is the same thing, just looking at it from a different point of view. Environmentalism is an outsider's view and approach. Terrorist attacks is more the insider Atlantean and sea-life view. Oil spills being no less than or greater than 9/11 from their perspective.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 09-25-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #603
Airwings
Waves of air

Pollution of the nature can't really be compared with attacking a city. We humans can still build up the destroyed buildings, as we built the city ourselves in the first place. Terrorists have urban places as their targets, and their actions will only bring human civilzation down.
911 didn't affect any natural eco system, did it? It didn't cause the extinction of sea life (or any other), which would lead to very serious problems for EVERYTHING around us... the whole planet at stake. And what can we humans do when everything falls? Not build it up again.
No, one can't compare terrorist actions and pollution. The latter is more devastating. Not at first, but long term.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #604
Anubis
Sup?

You two are talking about two completely different things and yet the same thing. Allow me to explain.

What Ultimatehero is talking about is from the Atlantian's perspective. From their point of view it's an act of war. They aren't tree huggers who want to live in some perfect balance with nature or whatever, they're a civilization being attacked by another civilization.

What you're talking about is the attack, which is pollution. People being careless about where we dump our waste and oil spills and garbage island etc, and the Atlantian's response to the destruction of their home.

In the end, it's the same damn thing. Just from a different perspective. So, you know, this a classic case of an agree-u-ment.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #605
Airwings
Waves of air

Anubis: I believe that the atlanteans care for everything that lives in the sea, not only themselves.
And polluting their environment and making it hard to live in, and causing death to a lot of animals (whales, dolphins, fish, lobsters etc to give examples) and marine plant life.... it's worse than just tearing down some building in Atlantis.

One has to compare it with terrorists who target and destroy our forests and natural resources, rather than our cities.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #606
Anubis
Sup?

Whatever dude. Semantics.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #607
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Yes, it is like terrorist attacks or an alien invasion for another example. Protecting one's home. It wouldn't be labeled as 'environmentalism' to the Atlantians. The Atlantians aren't tree huggers holding world summits and talking about the environment. Focusing on summits, to me, is absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

Basically what makes you more emotional - seeing 9/11 unfolding and people throwing themselves off of buildings OR hearing about it. Hearing about wars or seeing the devastating effects that has on the people? Show, don't tell here. If you tell, you're preaching environmentalism. If you show - you're still having environmentalism, albeit underhandedly - you're also implanting the impact of what is truly going on by being invested. Mass audiences can understand the need to protect one's home turf and find that riveting, seeing them debate it in an 'environmentalism' way rather than see it - they'll see that as preaching. And to them it wouldn't be a "debate" - only establishing contact would be.

Also keep in mind at this point in time, or at least where I want to begin it, humans have no idea that this nation of people exist. They know absolutely nothing about them. And when that contact is made -- still it would be very much like the situation between Iraq and America right now.

Also in this world sea life is an important part of their life. So of course they would care that outsiders are coming in and killing off all forms of life in their land. Just like everyone in the United States would care if some foreign nation came over here and started polluting us in a way that would not only kill our people but the animals who surround us on a daily basis. Sea-life beings ARE going to be characters, no if/ands/or buts about that - so every loss, and there will be a lot, will be staggering and eye-opening. We're entering at a VERY crucial spot in Atlantian history. Plus you have to take into account that Aquaman wasn't raised like normal people. He was raised by dolphins for part of his life, making sea-life even more integral to him. Sea-life getting killed, to him, is like family members getting shot for pointless reasons.

Humanities dealings with foreign tribes/nations/etc. since the beginning of time has shown us the devastating effects that come from that. And the horror stories of new lands meeting for the first time. All of this would, inevitably, be explored in the first and second film.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 09-25-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #608
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Why would Aquaman *need* more than physical power and prowess for his surface scenes? Its not like he's lacking in those things, and any scenes on the surface away from the water should be a minor part of an Aquaman movie, anyway. Sure, if 90% of the movie were him running around on land, it would be weird if he was just a fast, agile brick. . . but if you are making an Aquaman movie where he's on land 90% of the time, you are doing it wrong.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #609
KingMadness
Side-Kick

LOL

So that's your rebuttal guys? The comic is doing good for now so Aquaman is suddenly cool? You guys need to look at the bigger picture in this regard. The DC comic book half reboot was a joke. Continuity issues all over the place, no consensus on what stays and what goes, peoples origins are being added and retconned at will. Sure, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are doing well now, but look at all the other books besides those and Animal Man. They are walking trainwrecks.

It is only a matter of time before WW and Aquaman start encountering problems with this joke halfboot. Basing a movie off of this unstable halfboot is the absolute wrong way to go. If you want to change the tone however that's fine.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #610
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
LOL

So that's your rebuttal guys? The comic is doing good for now so Aquaman is suddenly cool? You guys need to look at the bigger picture in this regard. The DC comic book half reboot was a joke. Continuity issues all over the place, no consensus on what stays and what goes, peoples origins are being added and retconned at will. Sure, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are doing well now, but look at all the other books besides those and Animal Man. They are walking trainwrecks.

It is only a matter of time before WW and Aquaman start encountering problems with this joke halfboot. Basing a movie off of this unstable halfboot is the absolute wrong way to go. If you want to change the tone however that's fine.
No, it doesn't mean Aquaman is cool or not cool. It means that he's being written well, taken seriously, and it's been good as a result. And it didn't require any unnecessary changes. That's what people want from an Aquaman movie.

The failure of other books in the reboot does not dilute the success that Aquaman's relaunch has had.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #611
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Any adapting screenwriter looks at the best of the best comics detailing with the subjects and characters they want to explore and go from there. So would only modern be used? No. But the best of modern would just like the best comics that came before it.

ADDING: my basis behind knowing it will be good and a really quality film is because even if it wasn't a superhero and there were no amazing effects - the human core of his origins is enough to warrant a strong film.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 09-25-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #612
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
I'm actually looking at, hopefully, adapting this property or at the very least pitching my take on it. I'll admit, like Nolan, I didn't know much about the character before heading into it and that I'll bring a Aquaman fan with me. But, to me, Aquaman has the same potential in becoming as serious as the dark knight and man of steel. The MOS teaser really reminded me of the tone I want. Also the trailer for the Collin Farrell mermaid movie (in atmosphere).

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The guy who said the GA doesn't know much about Aquaman is right. Hell, when telling my friends they still joke about Entourage. You don't need to change anything. You just need to put it in the right light.

AC's story is very classical and his origins dare I say it - biblical. I'm coming at this as a film about an orphan boy who was drawn back to the sea to become its guardian. This is a very human story. I'm an adoptee from another country, if I go 'home' their culture and way of life will be lost to me. In doing my homework I prepare to head home to just a get a feeling of what the reality of that would be like.

I was basically drawn in because I wanted to find both a superhero property and legendary orphan story that I could bring personal experience to. Along the way of finding out more in the initial stages, I was just really fascinated by all the imagery I saw and how strong this character's world is. One scene I envision is Aquaman riding a whale with a flock of sea creatures behind him towards a navy ship.

Aquaman, or at least the first film (I see myself handing it over from there if I'm lucky enough to start things off), should be a story of discovery. Of a young man who doesn't know his past and in an epic journey discovers it and becomes a man. A king.

I gave a more detailed summary pages back. But, the thing is - there is a lot that can be done with this character to make him stick out to people. And I think the key there is really humanizing him. And, as said, hopefully I'll get this thing off the ground and after what I'm working on now - I just very may be able to.

Reason why I posted- nothing about him needs to change, you just need to find that right angle that can leave an impact. And to me his origins are so strong that they'll undoubtedly do that.
Yup, i agree with you in every point, when i began reading Aquaman last year i began to realize the potencial it had, it can be really epic, he has much more potencial (in my opinion) than the Flash and most heroes, which makes me angry when somebody gives the idea of a Justice League film without him, some even replace him with Cyborg

An Aquaman film has the potencial of being to be Star Wars underwater, the new zero issue even gave some more good ideas for the film, take out the Others and you have a complete origin for Aquaman thanks to the new 52, take some of the old elements, etc,etc.
Orm's even an Atlantean now, which gives him more reasons to opose Arthur.

As for his suit, it king of looks cool, if anything they could just change it into an armor for the film like in early designs of him for the new 52:

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.

Last edited by Lord; 09-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #613
Airwings
Waves of air

Polluting our world is something we all do. It's our lifestyle, and it demands a lot of us to change our ways. A lot of people are simply too ignorant to even care. Cars, airplans, factories etc are too much for mother earth to handle.

Terrorism is an act performed by a small number of people with a specific target/goal.

That's the difference.

Last edited by Airwings; 10-02-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #614
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Why would Aquaman *need* more than physical power and prowess for his surface scenes? Its not like he's lacking in those things, and any scenes on the surface away from the water should be a minor part of an Aquaman movie, anyway. Sure, if 90% of the movie were him running around on land, it would be weird if he was just a fast, agile brick. . . but if you are making an Aquaman movie where he's on land 90% of the time, you are doing it wrong.
Which is basically what the new 52 is doing with him. I prefer Aquaman underwater most of the time.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #615
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Actually the difference between Pollution and Terrorism is that Pollution is acts that hurt the environment, period. Terrorism is criminal action with the intent of changing or influencing a government.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #616
Airwings
Waves of air

No, that's not the only difference. Pollution is performed by everybody, terrorism only by a few. Pollution is also performed without intention of hurting or changing something, unlike terrorism which has a very clear motif.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #617
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
a film about an orphan boy who was drawn back to the sea to become its guardian. This is a very human story.
I could see Spielberg having this angle on the film. He has sometimes had a boy as main character.
Look at E.T. Elliot discovered there was something else out there and got involved in something we humans can't fully understand. It was a sentimental story, yet something fantastical with its "supernatural" element.
In Spielberg's version, we won't just see the boy growing as a character, but growing up as well.
I prefer having an adult Arthur Curry for the majority of the film, but starting out with him as a kid, discovering his strange powers, would be just fine.
It worked for Richard Donner's Superman, didn't it?

Last edited by Airwings; 09-30-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #618
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

If I'm able to get this off the ground, it would be seeing him from conception all the way up to becoming the king in the end.

Terrorism to me is just a metaphorical approach to get my head into the right place. Focusing on pollution as these earth shattering acts where lives are lost and sends fear into our lives. I think pollution and I just see councils talking about how to fix the environment, whereas when I think of terrorism I think of calls to action, conflicts bubbling from within and outside of it, and a growing body count.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #619
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
ADDING: my basis behind knowing it will be good and a really quality film is because even if it wasn't a superhero and there were no amazing effects - the human core of his origins is enough to warrant a strong film.
That's really good, and I really like your take on it. Very strong, I'd really enjoy such a film.

I also agree Aquaman is well known, the issue, I think is to make his first impression one that goes against him being a lame joke character, because that is the larger public perception of him, I believe.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #620
Changeling
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Yup, i agree with you in every point, when i began reading Aquaman last year i began to realize the potencial it had, it can be really epic, he has much more potencial (in my opinion) than the Flash and most heroes, which makes me angry when somebody gives the idea of a Justice League film without him, some even replace him with Cyborg

An Aquaman film has the potencial of being to be Star Wars underwater, the new zero issue even gave some more good ideas for the film, take out the Others and you have a complete origin for Aquaman thanks to the new 52, take some of the old elements, etc,etc.
Orm's even an Atlantean now, which gives him more reasons to opose Arthur.

As for his suit, it king of looks cool, if anything they could just change it into an armor for the film like in early designs of him for the new 52:

This costume is BEAUTIFUL Its like its already film ready. Very very impressive. Jim Lee drew this I'm assuming? I wonder why they chose the costume they did (its inferior to this imo) The only thing Id change if I were adapting this costume to film would be the gloves, theyre too big, slim those down and its perfect

Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #621
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That's really good, and I really like your take on it. Very strong, I'd really enjoy such a film.

I also agree Aquaman is well known, the issue, I think is to make his first impression one that goes against him being a lame joke character, because that is the larger public perception of him, I believe.
I've recently taken another character where that could easily fall into place, "yada yada an action hero?! No way..." yet somehow found a way to make it work. If this gets off the ground, people might get an idea of who that is. But, to me it's all about the grand scope of their world. To me the perfect balance is the realism and character depth as Nolan's Batman with the awe-inspiring and adventurous tone of Whedon's Avengers. And Aquaman offers a perfect mix of those two. Amazing mythic images to entice people and just a really human story to get them hooked.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-02-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #622
Airwings
Waves of air

Born 1981. Mostly old pics out there, and I avoided those who made him look too much like a pretty teen boy.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #623
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Who is it?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #624
Airwings
Waves of air

Jack Ryder

Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #625
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Hmmm

Aquaman vs. Eco-terrorist who intend to use a water supply? Sounds Batman Begins-like, and I like it. It's down to earth. Then you can have someone like Black Manta or Ocean Master helping the terrorists. Another way to bring Aquaman down to earth is including the navy.

So far so good.

Closed Thread