Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #151
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Id love this movie to be the first 3D x-men sequel.

We need that extra money to get the biggest x-men movie to date. So Fox will put even more money on future sequels and maybe continue with both casts on two separate series.

oh, and we need an Interviews Official Thread.

Anyone wants to create it?
Euuugh I hope he doesn't do the 48fps thing OR 3D. I saw the 48fps trailer for The Hobbit and it looked like a made-for-TV movie. Judging from the reviews I've read about the film, I'm not alone on that one. Not sure why Peter Jackson is so enamored with it.

Not to mention, I just don't think it's in the budget. Hobbit's budget is a bit more flexible because there's an absolute guarantee that it will be a box office boom; it will eeeeasily surpass the 1B mark internationally. X-Men doesn't come with that guarantee; I'd be genuinely surprised if DOFP breaks 500M. As desperately as FOX wants to compete with Avengers, the X-Men will never come close .

Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #152
psyonic
X-Man

X-Men: Days of Future Past, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters all confirmed to be 3D releases.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 3D movies.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #153
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
X-Men: Days of Future Past, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters all confirmed to be 3D releases.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 3D movies.
Citation/Link? All we have so far is Sir Ian musing that Singer could go the 48fps/3D route because he liked The Hobbit...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #154
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

On front page Fox has announced all 3 films as well as The Wolverine will be 3-d releases
as well as Fantastic Four for a march 2015 release date.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #155
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, have just read it

so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggest x-men movie EVER. Cant wait to see final numbers already lol

Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #156
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Eh, I'll probably skip the 3D version. Avatar and Hugo are the only films that I've seen where 3D has actual artistic merit, otherwise it's IMO little more than an excuse to charge extra money.

I haven't seen the 48fps version of The Hobbit but I once stayed over at a friend's whose TV plays DVDs at a higher frame rate and makes everything look like daytime soap opera; if the 48fps effect is anything like that I'll be staying well away.

Oh and after watching that new Star Trek teaser I hope that DoFP doesn't end up looking like your generic big blockbuster. FC was such a breath of fresh air with its 60s-influenced style, even if DoFP doesn't totally replicate it I hope it still has a unique look.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 12-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #157
georgec
Not a hero

Standard projection for me.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #158
Mako
Galactic Crusier

I'll only see it in 3D if it was shot in 3D, Not sure about the 48fps yet though.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #159
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I wouldn't waste my money on 3D.
Yeah I get that, most 3D films disappointed so I didn't watch any films on 3D this year. But since this could be the 1st X-Men 3D film that will be released, then I will totally watch it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Euuugh I hope he doesn't do the 48fps thing OR 3D. I saw the 48fps trailer for The Hobbit and it looked like a made-for-TV movie. Judging from the reviews I've read about the film, I'm not alone on that one. Not sure why Peter Jackson is so enamored with it. .
If thats true then I say a big NO for 48frames per second. I remembered my professor on film course told us that movies has lesser amount of fps because the film would look smoother compare to TV shows that uses more frames per second. And when we were filming scenes for our movie projects. We always used less than 30fps.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #160
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well considering that Fox has made the only perfect 3D film yet (Avatar) and has the expert (James Cameron) on hand, they should embrace the technology - at least give it a try. If it doesn't prove to be cost-effective, then they can scale it back for future releases. Not entirely sure the next Apes needs to be 3D, but definitely the superhero stuff, including Fantastic Four. Get Cameron in to advise and approve the result.

Not sure about frame rate, I haven't yet seen anything in 48fps.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #161
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yeah I get that, most 3D films disappointed so I didn't watch any films on 3D this year. But since this could be the 1st X-Men 3D film that will be released, then I will totally watch it!

If thats true then I say a big NO for 48frames per second. I remembered my professor on film course told us that movies has lesser amount of fps because the film would look smoother compare to TV shows that uses more frames per second. And when we were filming scenes for our movie projects. We always used less than 30fps.
What a shame about this news. Avatar was the last movie I saw where I felt the 3D enhanced the experience. I was reading this interesting article that was saying that when 3D movies first came out, the depth of 3D was much deeper, giving it an entirely new feel than anything we'd ever seen before. I remember watching a 3D rerelease of Nightmare Before Xmas when 3D first came out and being completely blown away because I felt like I could reach out and touch the clay figurines. But the "deep" 3D kept giving people headaches so they toned it down to what we see now-- just a bit, enough to make those foreground elements seem a little separate from the background ones. Which makes 3D kind of pointless, really.

As for 48fps, I have a colleague who insists it is the future, the way that "talkies" were the inevitable future for film in the 1920's. I'm not so sure about that. I was extremely turned off by the 48fps trailer... it does look like a soap opera (minus the halo-effect lights), or a reality TV show, or a "behind the scenes of The Hobbit" rather than the actual movie. Talkies are one thing but as an audience we have two major things working against this new technology:

1) Though PJ insists "it's different", and it is (frames are there rather than being interlaced), the uncanny similarity to soap operas, reality TV, and made for TV movies means that we already have an association with this type of technology: CHEAP. It will take years to undo that association, if it can be undone.

2) Removing that "window" effect means making it hard for us to suspend disbelief. If a movie is good and/or well-made, regardless of whether it's soundless or black and white or 18fps, we will become engaged. If it does its job right, we forget that we're in a theatre and we become involved with the hero's journey. Robots and aliens? Sure no problem. Wizards and wands? Absolutely that's a thing! Bruce Willis manages to survive 392 certain-death events in the span of 2 hours? Sounds legit. But by removing that "glass pane" it all seems startlingly out of place and unbelievable. Every moment feels like "This is a movie this is a movie". It brings us out of the story. Not to mention, that "clearer" image PJ is bragging about means that we see things we shouldn't, like Ian McKellen's contact lenses and where the dwarf prosthetics end and the actors underneath begin (as reviews have revealed).

Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #162
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

48fps doesn't look polished at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Well considering that Fox has made the only perfect 3D film yet (Avatar) and has the expert (James Cameron) on hand, they should embrace the technology - at least give it a try. If it doesn't prove to be cost-effective, then they can scale it back for future releases. Not entirely sure the next Apes needs to be 3D, but definitely the superhero stuff, including Fantastic Four. Get Cameron in to advise and approve the result.

Not sure about frame rate, I haven't yet seen anything in 48fps.
I think 3D could be great for DOFP if only they will use 3D cameras.

I don't think The Wolverine used 3D Cameras so that means they will just convert the 2D film to 3D and the 3D might not be good.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #163
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Oy I just contributed to this conversation in the VFX thread...then came here to talk about Singer aha...

Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #164
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I agree. And taking into account that Bryan seems to be friend of James, with that recent meeting with him and his wife on Australia, something tells me Singer is trying to get the support of both James and Peter Jackson somehow.

I love the whole sound of it

Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #165
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Looks like we got a new Production Designer. Possibly a new (?) X-mansion too.

Quote:
BryanSinger
Reviewing concepts with my Production Designer John Mayhre. #XMen

Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #166
JP
Smelly

Did Singer spell his name right? Can't find him on IMDB.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #167
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post

Not necessarily. I think the mansions in the BG are ones that have been used before. The upper left one is Casa Loma (from X1) and the halls I think are from X1 or X2. The one behind his left shoulder (our right) is the UK estate (yeah sad that I can tell that from the corner of a photograph, I know). I don't recognize the one beneath Casa Loma but the one behind his head is probably the Victoria one used in pretty much Every Movie/TV Show Shot In BC Ever That Requires A Mansion (don't remember its official name). Do hope they use the UK one again. It'd be nice to retain consistency considering how many establishing and exterior shots Englefield House got. It was a bit of a character all its own.

Last edited by blueserenity; 12-08-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #168
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Royal Roads University (or Rhodes) don't want to bother googling it. And I tried IMDB'ing him too with no luck (and "NO" google, I did not mean John Mayer LOL)

Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #169
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

And what are thinking with the mountains? Magneto Lair? Sentinel Manufacturing Base?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #170
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Did Singer spell his name right? Can't find him on IMDB.
Can't find him either. Might be a newb.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #171
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
And what are thinking with the mountains? Magneto Lair? Sentinel Manufacturing Base?
Alkali Lake...

Nah, that ship has sailed.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #172
JP
Smelly

Royal Roads University for X1, and Hatley Castle for X2-3.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #173
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Royal Roads University is where Hatley Castle is and that is in Victoria, BC so that was X2-3. Casa Loma is in Toronto = X1

Yea very confusing LOL

Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #174
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Found John Myhre (no 'a')

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0616924/

Worked on the first X-men, Pirates of Caribbean (2011), Chicago, Wanted.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #175
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:

wait, those montains on the right....... mmm.... could it be for the brotherhood lair??

just to see shots like that would be a great watch on the sequel

Closed Thread