The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #76
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermouse View Post
It will not be repetitive, in the movie-going public eyes, because the love interest in a Superhero movie has never been given superpowers by the hero before. I can count exceptions easier than the normals: Jean Grey, Elektra, Catwoman, and those characters all met their respective love interest heroes AFTER getting superpowers, not before. This will be the first time a love interest has been upgraded from non-combatant to super-powered combatant in the third installment. So, new.

And your argument that it will be repetitive because so many people have armor would apply to the X-Men franchise as well, but that has not gotten redundant by too many characters having mutant powers.
um....what?

An armored battlesuit is a very specific superpower. Being "mutant" is not specific at all, and just means you got your superpowers genetically. Doesn't mean everybody at Xavier's school has adamantium claws, or mastery over the weather. Not even remotely comparable to everyone wearing the spring collection of Tony Stark knockoffs.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #77
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I would like to see the Extremis tech used to save her life and makes her a bit of a cyborg.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #78
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
How will Rescue not be "repetitive?" War Machine/Iron Patriot has armor; Firepower has armor; Coldblood may well have armor; the Chinese are rumored to have a whole national team of armors; hell, Mandarin might have armor; Tony will have no less than *forty-seven* armors.....again: how will Rescue armor not be repetitive and redundant? ****, let's give EVERYBODY in this movie armor, even Happy frickin' Hogan.
... if you have 55 suits of armor going on already, then #56 isn't really going to be any more redundant or repetitive than #55, y'know?

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #79
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

It's not the number of suits that's repetitive; it's the number of characters wearing them.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #80
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
It's not the number of suits that's repetitive; it's the number of characters wearing them.
Iron Man
Iron Monger
Whiplash
War Machine

That's it. Not sure why people persist with this argument that every character will want their own armour like Happy Hogan. Idiotic argument.

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #81
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
Iron Man
Iron Monger
Whiplash
War Machine

That's it. Not sure why people persist with this argument that every character will want their own armour like Happy Hogan. Idiotic argument.

I don't really get why people are afraid of Pepper in a suit,when you know darn well,she's not going to fly off on missions.I guarantee if she doesn't wear the armor,you'll have another whole segment of fans who will gripe "she was a damsel in distress!" so whatever they do,it's bound to tick someone off.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #82
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Iron Man
Iron Monger
Whiplash
War Machine

You forgot about the ones who've been announced for this movie:

Firepower
Coldblood
a Chinese battle armor group under Chen Lu

This movie is going to be an armorfest. As mentioned above, Tony already brings 47+ suits in one scene, plus all those mentioned above (sans Whiplash and Iron Monger).

Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #83
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
This movie is going to be an armorfest. As mentioned above, Tony already brings 47+ suits in one scene, plus all those mentioned above (sans Whiplash and Iron Monger).
So Tony bring 47 + suits in one scene but it's ridiculous to think he would build one for the woman he loves.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #84
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
So Tony bring 47 + suits in one scene but it's ridiculous to think he would build one for the woman he loves.

Considering that list of armours only over two movies, then yeah, some people may see that as too much. One of the more common criticisms I've seen about IM2 was that it was just another lame armour on armour fight and many have expressed not wanting to see the same for this one. So it would seem that many aren't that keen on too many armours (though I can only imagine how some may react if the Chinese heroes are confirmed to have armours and when all the villains are revealed for this movie).

Plus as I've said before, giving Pepper her own armour is a cheap way out of danger and changes the nature of her character, she is fine the way she is, there's no need to ruin that. Not to mention if you're going to give Tony's love interest her own suit of armour because he wants to protect those close to him, then it opens up the possibility of Happy Hogan or anyone else close to Tony getting their own armour.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #85
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

Yes. Yes, it is.
You, and other Rescue supporters, keep missing the point: Tony Stark doesn't build Iron Man suits for anyone except Iron Man. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Is that selfish? Maybe. But he's made it a point in both the MCU and the comics universe to jealously and vigorously defend his technology. He certainly doesn't want the bad guys to get hold of that tech; he doesn't want business rivals to get that tech and make money off it; he doesn't want ANY government or military to weaponize it; he doesn't even want his best friend to have it. So if he decides to give that tech to his girlfriend because he doesn't want his main squeeze scratching a nail or something, then that cheapens everything he stands for.

Tony Stark: "I am Iron Man." *I.* Am Iron Man. Nobody else. Not even the people closest to him.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #86
Zeerola
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes. Yes, it is.
You, and other Rescue supporters, keep missing the point: Tony Stark doesn't build Iron Man suits for anyone except Iron Man. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Is that selfish? Maybe. But he's made it a point in both the MCU and the comics universe to jealously and vigorously defend his technology. He certainly doesn't want the bad guys to get hold of that tech; he doesn't want business rivals to get that tech and make money off it; he doesn't want ANY government or military to weaponize it; he doesn't even want his best friend to have it. So if he decides to give that tech to his girlfriend because he doesn't want his main squeeze scratching a nail or something, then that cheapens everything he stands for.

Tony Stark: "I am Iron Man." *I.* Am Iron Man. Nobody else. Not even the people closest to him.
Except the fact that he did gave her armor in the comics.

Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #87
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes. Yes, it is.

except in the comics he made War Machine and Pepper armor.....

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #88
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:

Firepower
Coldblood

firepower and coldblood are going to be extremis powered villians...not armored. Heck you saw one of them get blasted by iron man in the trailer on air force one

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #89
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
except in the comics he made War Machine and Pepper armor.....
Tony made the War Machine armor after he was dead. Or presumed dead. It was a contingency plan to keep Iron Man operating in the event of Tony's death; not some frivolous decision to give his buddy a nifty suit of armor. And the Rescue Armor came about as a result of Pepper's near death, when Tony stuck an arc reactor in her chest to keep her alive. With the arc reactor in place, he built a functioning suit of armor for her to use.

Neither case is even remotely comparable to what happens to the MCU versions of Rhodey and Pepper. MCU Rhodey commandeered a suit without Tony's permission, and it remains to be seen in IM3 how Tony responds to that. And if MCU Pepper winds up getting the same damn arc reactor that Tony uses to keep her alive and an identical suit of armor --- in other words, she becomes "Iron Woman" --- audiences (both fanboy and general audiences alike) are going to bail on this franchise like rats off the Titanic.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #90
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Tony made the War Machine armor after he was dead. Or presumed dead. It was a contingency plan to keep Iron Man operating in the event of Tony's death; not some frivolous decision to give his buddy a nifty suit of armor. And the Rescue Armor came about as a result of Pepper's near death, when Tony stuck an arc reactor in her chest to keep her alive. With the arc reactor in place, he built a functioning suit of armor for her to use.

Neither case is even remotely comparable to what happens to the MCU versions of Rhodey and Pepper. MCU Rhodey commandeered a suit without Tony's permission, and it remains to be seen in IM3 how Tony responds to that. And if MCU Pepper winds up getting the same damn arc reactor that Tony uses to keep her alive and an identical suit of armor --- in other words, she becomes "Iron Woman" --- audiences (both fanboy and general audiences alike) are going to bail on this franchise like rats off the Titanic.
That’s a gross over statement. People’s reaction to Pepper acquiring and wearing the Rescue suit will be dictated by how well the story elements around it are handled. If the story is deep then people will accept it but if its just a shallow armor reveal that’s just a plot device then people will right it off .

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #91
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
That’s a gross over statement. People’s reaction to Pepper acquiring and wearing the Rescue suit will be dictated by how well the story elements around it are handled. If the story is deep then people will accept it but if its just a shallow armor reveal that’s just a plot device then people will right it off .
I'm a bit confused. You think the claim is laughable, but then go on to say it's a good possibility.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #92
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I'm a bit confused. You think the claim is laughable, but then go on to say it's a good possibility.
He's saying its going to be a 100% fail no mater what and I'm saying its all about the execution.

The whole thing kind of reminds me of the pre-Thor chatter. Some people where saying if Thor spins his hammer in order to take off and fly that it would look silly and shouldn't be included in the movie. They would say it with absolute conviction. It got so hyperbolic that people would started saying it as if it was included that there would be a 100% chance that the movie would fail. It looks like its happening again with the Rescue Armor. It's the 100% automatic fail talk that turns me off. From my point of view its all about the execution of introducing the Armor and not the Armor it self. It may look silly to some people but if executed right it might be awesome.

Example:
The comic book X-men are more popular than comic book Avengers but the movie Avengers are more popular than the movie X-men. The reason for that is because the Avengers movie was executed better than the X-men movies. There where also so people saying the Avenger would fail because all the heroes would look so out of place together. The movie ended up being executed so well that no one in the GA cared that the team consisted of a World War 2 super soldier and a Norse God and that it was set in the present day.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-08-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #93
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
He's saying its going to be a 100% fail no mater what and I'm saying its all about the execution.
*I* said that? Show me where I said that.

I said that *if* it turns out to follow Matt Fraction's storyline, then Pepper Potts becomes quite literally "Iron Woman" --- same arc reactor in her chest, same suit, same change of focus from CEO to superheroine. And *if* that's the route they take with Rescue, then fanboys, general audiences, and movie critics alike are going to cry "ripoff" and IM3 will get the same negative press as its predecessor.

If it's just a one-time case of Pepper putting on one of Tony's suits in a scene to help him out of a big jam when his back is to the wall, I don't think anybody's gonna balk. It's the idea of turning Pepper into something she's not --- i.e., a superhero --- that would have audiences rolling their eyes.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #94
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Rescue must have plenty of weapons.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #95
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I think making Rescue makes a lot of sense since the trailer does have him worried about mortality. It's not just his own mortality but also being able to protect what he can't live without...Pepper. The thing about New York isn't just how much he came close to death but losing Coulson who had become one of his few inner circle people...I think he'd be extra paranoid not to let that happen again.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #96
Just one more
Side-Kick

Good call there about Coulson. I was a huge fan of his and Tony's relationship throughout the series and I believe that his death would have really hit Tony hard.

Just so many things are pointing towards Rescue that the people who believe it will ruin the movie are in for some disappointment.

On a side note, why all the hate for IM2? I thought it was a solid movie.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #97
Just one more
Side-Kick

I believe the beige suit from the trailer is Rescue

Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #98
Matarreyes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
The thing about New York isn't just how much he came close to death but losing Coulson who had become one of his few inner circle people...
Quote:
Good call there about Coulson. I was a huge fan of his and Tony's relationship throughout the series and I believe that his death would have really hit Tony hard.
For me, the guy was a link to Shield, but other that that I really don´t think he was much on Stark´s radar. The Avengers really overdramatised his death for the sake of bringing everyone together, which looked weird IMO, since he couldn´t have been the only casualty of the attack. The scenes with Steve and Tony talking about him would have been so much better if they had had some sort of pre-established relationship outside of "He annoyed me" and "He had a fanboy crush on me". Since the guy was no Yinsen and no Bucky, and didn´t register as specially important before his death, I remember mostly thinking they were sad about ALL THE VICTIMS until the script made it clear it was only about Coulson.

Matarreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #99
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:

Just so many things are pointing towards Rescue that the people who believe it will ruin the movie are in for some disappointment.

On a side note, why all the hate for IM2? I thought it was a solid movie.
It was, but it was nothing compared to IM1. That was just mind blowing, up there with Avengers. It was also a bit messy.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #100
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

Firepower
Coldblood

personally, I am on your side on this whole debate.

but could you do me a favor and ellaborate a bit on the part I bolded?