Magneto & Prof x - FC & OT 6 13.04%
No Real Lead (similar to Avengers) 9 19.57%
Wolverine 1 2.17%
Other Character (Name Below) 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #51
Angamb
Banned User

Default Re: Who should the focus be on in DOFP??

you really didnt answer my right question, psylock

could u give me just a direct answer, please? do you think all of that has a huge potential or not?

Last edited by Angamb; 12-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #52
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The original trilogy cast so after this movie, they could do X4 next!
X4??? You mean Wolverine part 6.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #53
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I find a bit sad that you guys cant see the real potential of the First Class series.

(I know, X4 has a huge potential too, none will deny that)

Just follow these little steps:

- Remember quickly the comics from the 60's, 70's and 80's and those plots, villains and all.
- Now imagine teen Cyclops and Jean joining Beast, Havok and Banshee, more Charles...
- Then imagine teen Storm in the mix too.
- Now a villain like Mr. Sinister and Maradeurs capturing Cyclops and Jean and the x-men fighting with him.
- then add a few cameos/secondary roles here and there like Polaris, Sunfire, Dazzler...
- then another sequel telling the Mutant Massacre. Gambit in the mix maybe. And Scott, Jean and Storm a bit older, naturally.
- Imagine ALL of this in a total of four movies, with the special effects of 21 century, with Singer.

And now tell me this wont be an amazing series.

seriously. does this have a huge potential? (appart from X4). Just answer this question, please
That's not the point. I'm not saying that it couldn't produce great results, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the universe right now. You can't keep making films in the past when the rest of your universe is set in the present. DOFP is probably going to retcon a lot of things from the previous films (like dead Charles, Scott, and Jean) and I just don't see how the past fits into that. I say they should just keep moving forward. Yeah it's a shame losing all those rising stars but it might just be necessary to move forward right now.

Only way I see you getting your wish is if DOFP doesn't necessarily retcon the set future but instead creates a new timeline for the past...like one of those stories where changing the past doesn't actually change the future but sets the world down a new path, like Steins;Gate if you watch anime. From that they could make it where the only way the series can continue is from the past. My problem is that even then Fassbender and McAvoy are too young to be the Magneto and Professor X that meet Jean and Scott. There's also the issue of Wolverine. His individual stories can take place whenever but it would be redundant to have to introduce his past self to the X-Men again.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 12-08-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #54
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
you really didnt answer my right question, psylock

could u give me just a direct answer, please? do you think all of that has a huge potential or not?
Of course it has potential but even if they turned out to be good movies it doesn't guarantee commercial success. They wouldn't even bring back Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman if it wasn't for The Avengers. FOX saw how big that movie was at the box-office and now they want to achieve that level of success with X-Men by bringing back some familiar faces from the original trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
X4??? You mean Wolverine part 6.
Even if its part 6, it doesn't mean it will suck.

X1/X2 were mostly about Wolverine but some people think they are better than First Class.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #55
magneto23
Side-Kick

IMO some people aren't thinking clearly about whats best for this franchise and its future. The originals have nothing left save for another Wolverine film. Just look at their ages for crying out loud. McKellen and Stewart will be 75 and 74 when DOFP comes out. Berry will be 48 and Jackman 46. They are too old.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #56
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
There's also the issue of Wolverine. His individual stories can take place whenever but it would be redundant to have to introduce his past self to the X-Men again.
What? would you expect Wolverine joining the past cast too??

omg

that would be too much.

A team movie on the past consisting on

Cyclops
Jean
Storm
Beast
Havok
Polaris
Banshee

would be MORE than enough to bring an amazing x-men movie. Wolverine was the lead in the three movies of original trilogy, his Two own movies, and will appear on DOFP. The FC cast doesnt need Wolverine.

I get your points, believe me. But none can deny that the past could bring really huge movies once teen Scott, Jean and Ororo are on the building. It can be a great success, even better than X3, which was released in 2006. So we shouldnt need to worry about not having Wolverine, Rogue or Iceman.

By the time Fox released FC 3, Fassbender and McAvoy would be around 40 years old, that's more than enough to introduce young Scott and Jean. We dont need Fox to be exactly accurate with the supposed real year of their births.

Two movie with Beast, Havok, Banshee and co. and two more movies adding Scott, Jean and Storm. more supporting characters and cameos, similar to Colossus on X2, Kitty and the rest.

Last edited by Angamb; 12-08-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #57
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
IMO some people aren't thinking clearly about whats best for this franchise and its future. The originals have nothing left save for another Wolverine film. Just look at their ages for crying out loud. McKellen and Stewart will be 75 and 74 when DOFP comes out. Berry will be 48 and Jackman 46. They are too old.
I'm not thinking whats best for this franchise and its future? So do you really think a new movie with just the cast of First Class are gonna make more money than a new movie with the original cast? I don't want FOX to make X-Men 4 just because I want to, but because I know it would be a successful movie that it would earn more money than the X-Men movie that will feature the cast of First Class. Just look at how First Class performed at the domestic box-office, especially when you inflate the numbers, the gap between First Class' domestic box-office number is way way lower compare to the domestic box-office number of the first X-Men movie.

The only thing you are worried about is Age thing which is silly. Daniel Craig is pushing 50 and look how successful SkyFall is. Plus I already mentioned before that I don't want Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart for X-Men 4 because I want the X-Men to move forward without Professor X and I want to see a new group of villains.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-08-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #58
Angamb
Banned User

of course X4 would do more. I doubt anyone will deny that.

but on the other side, we have to take into account that the very first movie of a new series, like FC with a totally new cast, wont make the same money as a previous sequel.

So with the FC great critics from press and fans, each sequel would bring even more money than the last one to Fox, so maybe by the time they do the third part, that sequel could get.... who knows? probably between 700-600 millions.

the cast would be joined with new actors too, probably a well known actor for a new villain, some new talented young actors that could become popular by that time, we really dont know what will happen with the new actors.

at the same time, both Fassbender and Jennifer will be even bigger in three years, so all of this together could bring a huge sequel. no need for a bilion worldwide, just a bigger sequel than X3.

right now DOFP will be the biggest sequel to date. thats for sure. but FC sequels can bring money to Fox too in a long run.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #59
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
of course X4 would do more. I doubt anyone will deny that.

but on the other side, we have to take into account that the very first movie of a new series, like FC with a totally new cast, wont make the same money as a previous sequel.

So each sequel would bring more money to Fox, so maybe by the time they do the third part, that sequel could get.... who knows? probably between 700-600 millions.

the cast would be joined with new actors, probably a well known actor for a new villain, some new talented young actors that could become popular by that time, we really dont know what will happen with the new actors.

at the same time, both Fassbender and Jennifer will be even bigger in three years, so all of this together could bring a huge sequel. no need for a bilion worldwide, just a bigger sequel than X3.

right now DOFP will be the biggest sequel to date. thats for sure. but FC sequels can bring money to Fox too in a long run.
I'm not even sure if DOFP is going to be that big at the box-office even if the movie will feature Ian, Patrick and Hugh. Then what about if they release another movie with just the cast of X-Men: First Class. A First Class 2 movie and 3 and 4 would be great to watch especially for X-Men fans like us. But financially, I don't think its a good idea. If they are gonna release a movie, it should be the one that would truly sell and appeal to a bigger audience. Look at the Fast and Furious franchise. When they brought back the original cast for the 4th movie, it was a huge success compare to the third movie (that didn't have the cast of the first two movies). Then the sequel after the 4th movie became even bigger and earned more than 600 million at worldwide box-office.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #60
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Setting the movies completely in the past is also not in their best interest. You're not considering that.

Quote:
What? would you expect Wolverine joining the past cast too??

omg

that would be too much.

Cyclops
Jean
Storm
Beast
Havok
Polaris
Banshee

would be MORE than enough to bring an amazing x-men movie. Wolverine was the lead in the three movies of original trilogy, his Two own movies, and will appear on DOFP. The FC cast doesnt need Wolverine.
So you're saying Wolverine is never going to be in another X-Men movie? You're crazy if you think that. Wolverine is an essential part of the X-Men. While I don't agree with them making him the focal point of X-Men movies I don't think that leaving him out of them for extended periods of time works either. I'd be fine with them making the next X-Men film or two after DOFP Wolverine-less while he thrives in his own film series but not much more than that. I suppose a gap like that would create enough time for the cast to catch up to the Jean, Angel, Scott, Ice-Man, Beast roster and ready for Wolverine to meet them or something. That would match with how the original comics went. That said, I still say that sounds like a stretch story telling wise for the reasons mentioned below.

Quote:
I get your points, believe me. But none can deny that the past could bring really huge movies once teen Scott, Jean and Ororo are on the building. It can be a great success, even better than X3, which was released in 2006. So we shouldnt need to worry about not having Wolverine, Rogue or Iceman.

By the time Fox released FC 3, Fassbender and McAvoy would be around 40 years old, that's more than enough to introduce young Scott and Jean. We dont need Fox to be exactly accurate with the supposed real year of their births.

Two movie with Beast, Havok, Banshee and co. and two more movies adding Scott, Jean and Storm. more supporting characters and cameos, similar to Colossus on X2, Kitty and the rest.
Once again, the quality of the movies is not the issue here. It's how it would all work into the universe they're talking about. You can't keep the X-Men set in the past if the rest of your universe is in the present. Not to mention it would be really cheesy if every X-Men from now on is a period piece. It just doesn't work.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #61
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:

Cyclops
Jean
Storm
Beast
Havok
Polaris
Banshee
Coincidentally, this is the exact line-up I wanted for First Class had it been set in the 80s.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #62
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Setting the movies completely in the past is also not in their best interest. You're not considering that.
Yes it is in their best interest. Excluding a franchise reboot, building up from XMFC is the only option for long term success. The actors are young enough and they have 35-40 years of potential story to complete the bridge to X1. Anything post X3/Wolverine/DOFP is a dead end. If the original actors were all 10 years younger I'd probably be feeling different. Unfortunately that's not the case.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #63
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
The X-Men will continue without Professor X. The X-Men will face a new group of evil mutants. For me Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Shawn Ashmore, Daniel Cudmore and Ben Foster are the only ones that has to comeback for X-Men 4.
I'm not sure if I get your argument. You keep saying that the original cast appeals more to the general audience, and that going back to the old cast will make Fox more money, but then your line-up for X4 excludes Jean, Scott, Mystique, Magneto, Professor X - i.e. the five members of that original cast and some of the biggest characters that the general public would remember the best. No offence to them, but does the general audience really care all that much about Shawn Ashmore, Daniel Cudmore and Ben Foster? So basically apart from Jackman, Berry and Paquin, the cast will be either minor original characters or brand new untested characters. I'm not sure why that puts the franchise in a better position than FC series, which actually has a potential for bringing in fresh young faces to play characters like Jean and Scott.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #64
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Yes it is in their best interest. Excluding a franchise reboot, building up from XMFC is the only option for long term success. The actors are young enough and they have 35-40 years of potential story to complete the bridge to X1. Anything post X3/Wolverine/DOFP is a dead end. If the original actors were all 10 years younger I'd probably be feeling different. Unfortunately that's not the case.
You're not considering the universe they're trying to build. You can't have the X-Men set in the past while FF and Wolverine are in the future. It's stupid, plain and simple. And keeping the story in the 60-70s is going to get real old real fast. Every X-Men movie cannot be a period piece. You guys thinking this film franchise can thrive by living in the past have your heads in the ground.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #65
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

It may not be able to remain in the past, true, but going back to the original cast again and trading on nostalgia after reinvigorating the franchise with younger faces seems like a step back rather than step forward.

I could see either a) complete reboot and b) continuing in the future/present but with a completely new roster of characters.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #66
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Why not have 2 sub-franchises--one in the past and one in the future.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #67
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Why not have 2 sub-franchises--one in the past and one in the future.
exactly what I said. why not?
some fans are insecure, but if both movies have amazing visual, team action and great actors, the audience WILL go to see it. whether one is set on the past and the other in present, general viewers are loving superheromovies now much more, so they would support two amazing x-men series at the same time.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #68
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

This is a tricky issue!

In many ways, it depends on where they want to go with the franchise after DoFP and which of the original actors are willing to come back for DoFP and commit to further films.

It would be a shame not to see the early years of the X-Men in the 70s and 80s, but it all depends what they have in mind.

If they finish with the First Class characters/actors after DoFP, is that the end of seeing McAvoy's Xavier, Fassbender's Magneto, Lawrence's Mystique, Hoult's Beast, Till's Havok, Caleb Landry Jones's Banshee, and January Jones' Emma Frost? Wouldn't they want to keep some of those at least?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #69
Angamb
Banned User

that's the issue.

to see a whole series since the 60's to the 80's is a too good idea to forget it now, with such a great beggining.

Guys, believe me, two series at the same time would be a smart move and WOULD WORK. They are two totally different cast, so the general audience wont see it as repetitive. and by the time young Scott and Jean are introduced in the past, X-men 5 probably wouldnt have Jean anymore, or Beast.

The problem Fox had in the past is that they DIDNT see the huge potencial of the x-men franchise. Now its Time to really go ill FULL Force.

And IF one day one sequel recieves less than 400$ millions worlwide, they can stop that series on that right moment.

But to stop it now would be a really wrong decision.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #70
Raoul Duke
Banned User

it's tricky, but it could be done. having two different timelines, linking them together with a time travel story involving none other than cable.

Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #71
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not even sure if DOFP is going to be that big at the box-office even if the movie will feature Ian, Patrick and Hugh. Then what about if they release another movie with just the cast of X-Men: First Class. A First Class 2 movie and 3 and 4 would be great to watch especially for X-Men fans like us. But financially, I don't think its a good idea. If they are gonna release a movie, it should be the one that would truly sell and appeal to a bigger audience. Look at the Fast and Furious franchise. When they brought back the original cast for the 4th movie, it was a huge success compare to the third movie (that didn't have the cast of the first two movies). Then the sequel after the 4th movie became even bigger and earned more than 600 million at worldwide box-office.
And thats exactly what is gonna happen with DOFP.

Ian, Patrick and Hugh wont be the only actors coming back, so lets be sure there will be two more, at the very least.

Sooo, these will be the ingredients of the sequel:

- FC cast
- 5 or so original actors
- SENTINELS
- Bryan Singer back
- and last but not least, 3D

If you really think this movie will get a similar boxoffice to X3 you will be proved wrong remark my words.

The hype is already there, you just have to go to a few movie sites.

This sequel will broke the 500$ mark at the very least. And that alone will be a success for Fox.

Im sure it will do more, but lets not expect less than that, because that would be too much negative taking into account all the positive factors.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #72
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
that's the issue.

to see a whole series since the 60's to the 80's is a too good idea to forget it now, with such a great beggining.

Guys, believe me, two series at the same time would be a smart move and WOULD WORK. They are two totally different cast, so the general audience wont see it as repetitive. and by the time young Scott and Jean are introduced in the past, X-men 5 probably wouldnt have Jean anymore, or Beast.

The problem Fox had in the past is that they DIDNT see the huge potencial of the x-men franchise. Now its Time to really go ill FULL Force.

And IF one day one sequel recieves less than 400$ millions worlwide, they can stop that series on that right moment.

But to stop it now would be a really wrong decision.
I really don't know about two different series running at the same time though.

One way round that would be to merge the original trilogy actors and the First Class actors, perhaps by bringing the best First Class characters/actors into the future by time travel.

But that then gets rid of the past altogether, and still leaves 30 years of characters/events we know nothing about. Okay, so we have already seen Scott recruited (at the end of of XMO: Wolverine), we have already seen Jean recruited (in The Last Stand), and was that Storm in one of the cages at Stryker's base on Three Mile Island? If they're ignoring those films, then those events don't come into it though. And three decades of backstory is a long time and it should be addressed somewhere - even if they just did an animated series or comic book series to fill in the gaps (although Fox has no control over X-Men comics or TV).

If I was Fox, or Singer and the producers and writers, I would be having serious meetings about this and where the franchise goes next. Which original actors want to come back? Maybe some of them don't? What team(s) do they want to see in future films? What stories do they want to tell? Which characters do they want to include? They then have to make sure the ending of DoFP leaves the door open for these ideas.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #73
Angamb
Banned User

so would you say that right now you dont know what you'd like?

appart from the number of original actors that will want to repeat on X4 or not.

what would you like personally? for the next 5 years I mean

Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #74
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
so would you say that right now you dont know what you'd like?

appart from the number of original actors that will want to repeat on X4 or not.

what would you like personally? for the next 5 years I mean
Yes, I don't really know. It's just too much to think about and come up with one perfect answer!

In DoFP, the focus seems more likely to be on the future and stopping it from happening. But in the comic, more time was spent in the past (which was the present day) because the comics had all been set in that timeline and those were the familiar characters.

In the film, most of the previous films have involved the actors we will see in the future and only one film has been set in the past.

Is The Wolverine mainly set in the present day? How far ahead of The Last Stand? Will the Fantastic Four be set in the present day? Or could the FF begin in the 60s at the time of space exploration? The FF could equally be a retro sci-fi project too.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #75
Angamb
Banned User

you're being too rational with the answer, lol

forget about what Fox should do, and just hear to the fan inside you... what would you love in the next three years?